PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Apple, Netflix Is Just Too Good

MacBytes
Jan 28, 2008, 10:11 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Videos
Link: Sorry Apple, Netflix Is Just Too Good (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080128111126)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

nick.hobbie
Jan 28, 2008, 10:42 AM
Comcast offers HD movies the same price, why do I need another set top? Now if i can get rid of them all, and apple version of MCE, then that would benefit me more then the apple tv does right now. I was the first to buy an apple tv and waited after apple kept pushing back the ship date, was really excited, and then completely disappointed with take two. I was hoping for a HTPC.

Mac In School
Jan 28, 2008, 10:45 AM
Love Netflix. I subscribed for many years.

That said, Netflix has never offered a solution that puts all my music and photos on my television.

If you compare one of :apple:TV's features to {insert competitor here}, it's probably going to lose fairly often. But who else is offering everything they do?

rulerofthemoon
Jan 28, 2008, 11:05 AM
Sure, I'll keep netflix for a while even though I have an apple TV. But, I'm very bugged that that their "watch now" feature is still not available for the Mac. And, talk about limited titles, "Watch Now" had a very anemic start. And, "watch now" has no linkage to any portable device.

Also, this article makes the wrong assumption that Apple somehow has something to do with the restrictions. It's the movie studios who insist on the 24 hour limit. Here's another example, you can't watch a movie on your computer, Apple TV or iPod at the same time. The file gets "moved' between devices. That's no different that renting a DVD and taking it with you while you travel. And yet, some commentators are bugged at Apple over this.

Passante
Jan 28, 2008, 11:06 AM
I will probably wind up using both services. I use netflix to rent videos so I have something to watch while I exercise. For that its been great. But when it comes to what do you want to watch on Saturday night my wife and I never seem to coordinate enough to have a video ready (or at least one she would like to watch). I can see us renting 1-2 movies a month and dropping netflix back to 1 film a month.

Xtoo
Jan 28, 2008, 11:22 AM
As much as Netflix is a gret service. I never subscribed to it. I don't want to wait, neither schedule what I'd like to watch in the near future. I like going to the store pick up a few movies and watch them the same or within two days.

I don't want to spend $13 a month either. There are months when I don't even watch 1 movie because I am just too busy and rather do outdoors stuff that sit at home when I get the free time.

So Apple TV, if they were to get a big and up-to-date catalog, would be perfect for me. I can rent when I want it and watch it on the spot. I don't really watch a movie more than twice (unless is a classic) and I think owning DVDs is kind of dumb.

And now with HD movies, I would completely ditch my Panasonic Blu-Ray player. There are not enough HD movies at the stores and again don't want to pay Netflix for the when I don't watch a thing.

Apple TV sounds right for me. I just hope the catalog increases quickly. That could be the catalist for many people.

bigandy
Jan 28, 2008, 11:27 AM
well neither of them work over here, so sorry, neither of them are good enough. :D

sunfast
Jan 28, 2008, 12:14 PM
well neither of them work over here, so sorry, neither of them are good enough. :D

Well said sir! Though we must spare a thought for those who don't even have iTMS

hagjohn
Jan 28, 2008, 12:31 PM
I hardly rent movies but if I did, I could Amazon Unbox them to my Tivo.

diabolic
Jan 28, 2008, 12:34 PM
If I could get rid of all my physical media, I would.

ToddW
Jan 28, 2008, 12:52 PM
If iTunes offered a service like Netflix, I would have bought an apple TV just for that. I would pay for a movie rental service to have it be no media.

applehappy
Jan 28, 2008, 01:50 PM
Why pay for Netflix? I guess I enjoy ripping all of the DVD's they send me, but I'm going to cancel my NETFLIX soon, once I verify that :apple:TV take 2 meets my needs. I don't understand people wanting a subscription service in a download format. Can't imagine that would be a good business model. Netflix makes money by slowing down your turnaround times if you return DVD's too fast. Thinking you get unlimited service just isn't true, they throttle your return times in order to keep you in line with the business model. Plus, you can't always get new releases for weeks with Netflix. Granted Apple is not renting movies until 30 days after DVD release, but you can get them right away, and view them while downloading. Paying per download with HD content available, and getting ALL of my media at my entertainment center, Apple TV is just incredible. It is a great product and Take 2 looks to be a good expansion of it. Netflix is awesome, but Apple TV takes it to a whole different level baby. Buh Bye Netflix.

snickelfritz
Jan 28, 2008, 02:04 PM
The problem with subscription services to physical media, is the physical media itself.
DVD, BLuRay, VHS, CDROM all suck.
I absolutely detest having to insert the media, navigate the stupid and slow menu system, etc...
Then there's the problem of damaged media not working. (I had this problem several times with Netflix rentals.)
I just want my movies and music listed on my TV, exactly like DVR recordings.

IMO, DVR/Tivo/AppleTV, etc... are the models for the future of home entertainment.

macFanDave
Jan 28, 2008, 04:40 PM
What I dislike about the tone of this article is that it doesn't really emphasize that Netflix might be better than AppleTV for the author's circumstances.

I use Blockbuster Online and I don't remember the last time I got to watch 8 movies in a month. Given the number of movies I watch, Apple's per-movie cost is cheaper than Blockbuster's exploding fees. I think they've gone from $15 to $18 to $20 in the blink of an eye (I don't "do" ****** .95's, there is no $14.95, it's $15!)

Also, Netflix doesn't help you watch YouTube on a big screen TV using a simple remote. Since my wife got her iPhone, she has really gotten into YouTube. I think she is really going to love that capability that AppleTV has to watch YouTube in the living room.

I plan to get my AppleTV next weekend with the birthday cash I just received and I am going to happily cut the cord with Blockbuster (and prepared to fight the inevitable cancellation fee!!!)