Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsollars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
I have a ton of credit to target from returned wedding presents.
i got the all clear to use the cards.

i had some questions:

1. Do i have anything to worry about in purchasing from target? if there is any issue, it is handled by Microsoft, correct?!

2. I would be worried about them having 'older' stock. i've heard that there is a certain serial range i should be looking at to avoid older models RROD problems. What is the range or serial numbers (and location of said number) that i should be looking for.

3. Target return policy SUCKS. if there is a certain serial number range i need to be looking at, it will HAVE to be visible from the outside of the box. I WILL NOT open the box or seal, etc, without knowing for sure it's the correct model range i'm needing. Can this be seen on the outside of the retail box.

4. which models have HDMI?

additional info.

i'm going to go with the xbox premium setup (with hdd included)
can i use this with a wireless router out of the box....?
if not...are my only options the xbox wifi adapter ($99) or running ethernet cable to the back of the machine??

thanks for all of the help. complete novice to all of the console stuff.

thanks
matt

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
i use my existing wifi router, just have to run a ethernet cable from the 360 to the router

mrsollars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
thanks for that.

i figure it's cheaper than buying the wireless adapter.

i found info on the cable and i'll go that route.

now i just need some input on Target as the place i decide to buy.
wise choice. am i at ANY risk of having to deal with them?
scenario:
i buy it, it's a dud out of the box, i then send it to microsoft. right?!?!
even though i don't have a warranty card on file yet, etc. is there an online warranty registration?

thanks for all of the help.

thanks
matt

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I have not bought an Xbox from them, but I did purchase and iPod at one time. I opened it, tried it out, then returned it for another color. They just inspected it to make sure it was all there, and I didn't have any problems. I am sure you wouldn't have any trouble returning the Xbox if something was wrong with it.

I would ask them about their return policy just to be sure. It might even be on their website?

mrsollars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
that's great that you had a good experience.......but they are horrible.

google: target return policy.

you'll be wowed by the flood of horrible feedback. most retail stores are just HORRIBLE about it. i myself had a HORRIBLE time with wedding registry returns. they wouldn't return items that they had in stock, at the time, because the bar code wouldn't scan. i told them to type in the code manually and they said, ''we don't do that with registry items''. i took those items to another target and got store credit. they only give store credit with gift receipts. so this is why i have hundreds to spend there.

i just want to know a couple of things"

is there a specific serial code range i need to see to know i have the newest model run for the xbox premium package? if so, what is it, and is it visible on the outside of the box?

thanks
matt

chadrob30

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
In front of my Mac.
I don't mean to be Captain Obvious here, but to me it seems like you've already made your mind up about Target, and are looking for justification to buy one from there anyway. If you have some doubt, get it somewhere else. If you have a Target, then you most likely have a Worst Buy or Walmart or similar store nearby. If you REALLY have doubts about the 360 itself buy the extra warranty that comes with it and when it RROD's on you (and it will) you won't have to mess with Microsoft at all. Just return it and get a new one.

mrsollars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
I don't mean to be Captain Obvious here, but to me it seems like you've already made your mind up about Target, and are looking for justification to buy one from there anyway.

i can see why you say this after reading my posts.

and yes. i have enough in gift cards to buy the 360 from target.
all i am wanting to know now is the following:

1. is there a serial number range than i need to look for when i go to different targets in search of a 360 premium package?

2. since i know target returns suck, but i will need to buy from here because that is where i 'have the money' to buy it with, is there any worry in depending on microsoft's pre-packaged warranty? do they offer an extended warranty?

sorry for the confusion. i think this is all the further info i'm looking for.

thanks
matt

mrsollars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
i keep seeing something about ''Falcon''?!?!

is there an explanation of this somewhere...or a serial range associated with this.

supposed to be a more reliable chipset?? less failure rate?? is this accurate??

luftwaffles08

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2007
The Falcon chipset uses a 65nm processor, which theoretically is supposed to create less heat, use less power and ideally create less RROD. Combined with the new heat sink they started putting in around late March 2007, it is supposed to have helped the rate of failure.

According to one site, this is the way to tell if it's the one you want:

"How to find a Falcon model 360 in stores

A Falcon model Xbox 360 MUST BE:
Lot #0734 (Halo 3) or later (all SKUs)

Manufactured on or after 8/24/07(An HDMI Premium manufactured on 8/19 has been reported as 65nm.)

How to find Lot and Team info:
There is a white sticker on the side of the box with the lot # and team. In order to find the manufacturing date without opening the box, there is a flap on the side of the box that allows you to peek inside and see the manufacturing date on the console itself."

So, I assume that your gift cards are adding up for a Premium, which is what I would turn to. On the side of the box you should see if it lists HDMI as an input, and then check to make sure that it'll have the falcon chipset with the instructions up top. That should take care of most of your worries.

As for Target, I can't say that I've firsthand had a bad experience with them. But since the only glaring problem you have to worry about is the RRoD, Xbox has a built in 3 year warranty with all 360's now with no extra charge. That essentially cuts Target out of your warranty and return issues.

mrsollars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
AWESOME......THANK YOU!!!!!

this is it. this is the info i was looking for.

matt

mrsollars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
i'm back....one more question

went to the local target today to purchase.
the 20gb sets that they had, had the correct (later) manufacture date. (jan.08)
they were in the correct Lot#08xx

my question. there was no HDMI listed in the 'included in the box' information.
i was told that there would be HDMI with this 'up to date' model.

anybody have any idea??

ps. i still haven't seen ''Premium'' on any of the boxes they have.

thanks
matt

bosxe

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
Chicago
went to the local target today to purchase.
the 20gb sets that they had, had the correct (later) manufacture date. (jan.08)
they were in the correct Lot#08xx

my question. there was no HDMI listed in the 'included in the box' information.
i was told that there would be HDMI with this 'up to date' model.

anybody have any idea??

ps. i still haven't seen ''Premium'' on any of the boxes they have.

thanks
matt

They changed the name of the 20gig "Premium" to the "Pro". (The Core becomming the Arcade, and the newest being called the "Elite", which comes in standard black with 120gigs of memory)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Why don't you just ask if you can open it an check before you buy it? I'm the manager of the electronics department at a Target and we do it all the time. If your Target is worth anything (they aren't all made equally unfortunately) they'll go to great lengths to keep you happy ... unless your rude, then they'll make it as hard as possible.

They do offer a 3 year extended warranty which, from reviews I've read, seems to be pretty good. The only caveat is that if there is something wrong you have to ship it in to the warranty company. If they can't fix it they'll give you a store credit for whatever you paid for it.

Also, they're return policy isn't any worse than Walmart or BestBuy. Target seems to have this reputation for a crappy return policy because they were one of the first to start cracking down on scammers by making the return policy more strict. People try to rip the stores off daily. Seriously, it's pathetic. If you pay in cash or with gift cards and keep your bloody receipt you'll have NO PROBLEM returning what you buy and if you pay with anything else they'll be able to look it up.

[edit]Thanks bokdol. That'll save me and my team from opening up numerous boxes ;)

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
I bought my XBOX 360 in early 2006 (i think?) from Target and everything was fine. I actually bought it because of the craze surrounding the xbox and Target was the only store in my socal region that had one.

mrsollars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
the one i saw had 'pro' on the box....but no HDMI labeled. just 'a/v cables' or something.
i'll have to check again, TAKE PICTURES, and check back in. the pictures for those links above did not look like the packaging that was on the one's i saw.
matt

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
I purchased both my XBOX Core with HDD (launch) and Elite (Last April I think) from Target. The Core is still ticking and when the Elite's DVD drive gave out 3 weeks after purchase, Target took it right back and gave me a new one. They take just about anything back, so if you don't get what you want.. I wouldn't sweat it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.