PDA

View Full Version : iMovie/iDVD HD vs SD Question

nyycavo24
Jan 28, 2008, 10:42 AM
Hey Everyone,

I am in the process of creating a movie that is compilation of Standard Def home movies from about 7 years ago. After I make this movie, I plan on exporting it to iDVD and putting it into DVD format.

Since all of the TVs this will ultimately be showing on will be HD, I need to know two things:

1) When exporting, importing, ripping, and converting...which movie file formats provide for the greatest quality (least quality reduction).

AND

2) I don't if this can be done, BUT as I am making this movie, is there anyway to keep it in Standard def format (no stretching or upscaling..again preserving the video quality) and INSTEAD add side bars to the screen (Like most HDTV Stations do when they are not playing HD content...CNN, ESPN, etc)?

I've bene very active on these boards today and I really appreciate everyones help!

daisymae024
Jan 28, 2008, 11:20 AM
maybe you can try to read up on this:
http://unofficial.capital.edu/admin-staff/dalthoff/widescreen.html

I know the article is for previous versions of iDVD but maybe it can help. Or you can do:

trial and error :)

do some sample dvds until you get the best quality dvd you can make with your SDTV-format material for your intended audience of HDTV owners.. I just finished one 12-min video for a gathering; edited in iMovie then produced using iDVD... Wish I had time to heed my advice... (meaning burn and watch it as a check... coz only then, I noticed the flaws... )

anyways, good luck!

nyycavo24
Jan 28, 2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it! :)

Do you have ANY idea what the answer is to my other question about the placeholders on the sides of SD pictures on HD TV's? Like ESPNHD, CNNHD, etc?

nyycavo24
Jan 29, 2008, 11:35 AM
No one has any idea?

mynameiscaleb
Mar 11, 2009, 03:14 AM
iDVD will only let you import your movies in SD.
To make an HD DVD, you need a pro tool like DVD Studio Pro. Of course when you make a DVD out of HD Movies, they will look far better than SD movies. However, when you look at the movie on your created DVD, you will notice a huge lost of quality, color and size compare you your original movie HD movie file. This is because iDVD is downgrades your movies so they will work on a normal DVD player.
I learned the hard way that to expect a normal DVD player to play an HD DVD is like expecting a CD player to play a DVD.
So anything you create with iDVD will be SD.
I recommend creating your movies in quicktime with expert settings and you can set there whether they are widescreen or not.
You can also create the iDVD project in either full or widescreen. If you have a fullscreen movie in a widescreen iDVD project, it will center the movie for you no problem.