PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook System Freeze

skipanderson
Oct 19, 2003, 04:39 PM
My new PowerBook G4 1 GHz crashes constantly. By that, I mean after being booted up for 7-8 minutes, the screen freezes and a box pops up w/a message in several different languages, saying that I need to restart the computer or hold down the power button. The computer crashes before I can upgrade the OS to 10.2.8. I have 750MB RAM, 80G HD. I'm on OS 10.2.6. This computer is only two days old, and it crashes constantly.

ShadowHunter
Oct 19, 2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by skipanderson
My new PowerBook G4 1 GHz crashes constantly. By that, I mean after being booted up for 7-8 minutes, the screen freezes and a box pops up w/a message in several different languages, saying that I need to restart the computer or hold down the power button. The computer crashes before I can upgrade the OS to 10.2.8. I have 750MB RAM, 80G HD. I'm on OS 10.2.6. This computer is only two days old, and it crashes constantly.

Did you install or the extra RAM? That really sounds like a ram issue, try taking the extra dimm out.

G5orbust
Oct 19, 2003, 05:20 PM
Congrats on your first kernal panic. I suggest a clean install of OSX if you cant root out the problem with a memory test.

Sounds like that extra 512 stick or that extra 128 stick (depending on how it came) is messing you up. (750MB of RAM is a strange number. Whats the RAM combo you used? 128MB+512=640 and 512+256=768MB. I have a feeling you have 768MB of RAM.) Try running the system without the installed extra RAM. If it runs dandy, return the RAM to wherever you got it.

cb911
Oct 19, 2003, 10:26 PM
if taking the RAM out doesn't fix it you could also run the file system check.

just hold down cmd+s when you boot up. you'll go into sigle user mode. then type 'fsck -y' (without the commas). if it says it repaired stuff, then type 'reboot' to restart your PB, or 'exit' to keep going with normal login.

you could also try checking out Apple's KnowlegeBase to see if anyone else has had this type of problem.

senna1899
Oct 25, 2003, 10:33 PM
Greetings, first time user of this site. I recently received my long awaited new Powerbook 15.2". For some reason the computer freezes when the screensaver is on for awhile. It also freezes when a DVD is playing. I have already contacted Apple for support and they suggested running disk aid. Did that, and it fixed some problems it found. I thought that would end any problems but it still occurring. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

WinterMute
Oct 27, 2003, 05:43 AM
I had the same problems with my 17 when it first arrived, I tried everything mentioned with no luck, it turned out to be a hardware fault on the logic and video boards, Apple repaired the machine and I've had no problems with it since.

You may need to return the machine to Apple under the Applecare warrenty, give them a call, the numbers in the book, and you get a period of free telephone support from them as well as the years cover.

Good luck, you have the first version of new machine, which is a little bit hairy in any case.

primetime_75
Jan 17, 2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by G5orbust
Congrats on your first kernal panic. I suggest a clean install of OSX if you cant root out the problem with a memory test.

Sounds like that extra 512 stick or that extra 128 stick (depending on how it came) is messing you up. (750MB of RAM is a strange number. Whats the RAM combo you used? 128MB+512=640 and 512+256=768MB. I have a feeling you have 768MB of RAM.) Try running the system without the installed extra RAM. If it runs dandy, return the RAM to wherever you got it.

Hi, if anyone can help. I've had a similar problem. I just added 512 memory to my PowerBook G4 Titanium 1GHz and it freezes the same way. When I put the old memory back in, the computer acts normally. However, when I ran a hardware check, no problems showed up with the memory.

Is this memory that I got no good? My computer does register 768 when it is in?

Anyway, if anyone could explain exactly what is happening, that would be great.

virividox
Jan 17, 2004, 02:55 PM
bad ram

Zeke
Jan 17, 2004, 03:27 PM
The hardware test doesn't work very well. The computer is more sensitive to the RAM than the test. I had the same problem with my 15" and after switching the RAM out with some good Kingston it works perfectly. Before, it was crashing anytime I did anything remotely intensive. Apple needs to fix their diagnostic utility because new users who don't know this could get frustrated at how much OS X crashes with "good" RAM.

primetime_75
Jan 17, 2004, 03:36 PM
okay. thanks for the info.

so I take it the 512 memory stick I now have is worthless since the computer runs great without it. It is KTI, what is the most reliable type to get and where do you recommend I get it at a reasonable price.

I got this one off ebay, obviously a mistake, but I'll try to get my $ back.

King Cobra
Jan 17, 2004, 04:35 PM
(reminds self of how the royal jerks at MacConnection ********* up my iBook twice by sending bad RAM...after receiving specific requests to send the correct RAM type...)

Whoever sent that RAM to you may need to be bashed upside the hairline with the RAM handbook (how ironic). Make a note to avoid buying memory from wherever/whoever you purchased the memory from the first time around again. http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/new_snipersmilie.gif

If that note does not apply to 18004memory (www.18004memory.com), then that is where you should purchase your following RAM.

Hah. ********** eBay for RAM! http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/new_shocked.gif

primetime_75
Jan 17, 2004, 05:48 PM
Well, I got an email back from the person I bought it from and they are giving me a full refund, so that is good...

As for new memory, is there a major difference between generic and hyperspeed?