Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I just got back from a very moving experience tonight.

On our campus several organizations put together an event to bring about awareness of sexual abuse and rape. People spoke about past experiences, read poems and spoke out against common misconceptions. We then walked through the campus and surrounding neighborhood with candles, chanting slogans condemning rape and fear.

I would suggest for everybody out there to take a stand wherever/whenever possible against the violence that goes on against women AND men. The statistics are apalling. Talk with your loved ones about it. If you suspect someone might be in an abusive relationship, talk to them and try to get them some help.

Make this world a safer, happier place for everyone.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by MacAztec
I couldnt agree more.

BTW-My sis may be going to one of the San Diego's Colleges...I think the Aztecs or Sundevils?

I think its...San Diego State University...ahhh, thats the one :)

This weekend, I am screwed because my family is going to visit UCSB with her, so I am stuck to find rides to THREE baseball practices, and one game. Oh well, I ave MacRumors, and thats all that counts! :D

That's where I am: SDSU

Have fun at practice, and good luck at the game!
Go Aztecs! ;)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
in high school I wrote a paper on date rape...the things I found out were in many ways disgusting... :mad:

I often worry about my younger sister and my girlfriend when they go out...even though I know deep down they can handle themselves...there are some really sick people out there...

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
A not so serious view

A anagram C.C.W. concealed carry of weapons. This would solve many problems in this and other issues. And since u have to do a bunch to get it, its unlikely a wako or criminal would get one. And any ways the criminals would carry firearms no matter what. On a serious note Sexual Abuse/Rape are problems that make almost no sense at all. I won't go into detail cuz some people maybe offended. But its just crazy.
BTW- I go to GPHS just since everyones giving out personal info.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Rower -

You rock! The world needs more men like you.

Coincidentally, this is "Women's Empowerment Week" at my school (we have Take Back the Night tonight). On Wednesday there was an event called "Men Against Rape" - it was so gratifying to see how many men were there. (If only they could maintain their humanity when sloppy drunk!)

I think a lot of people don't take seriously the statistics about sexual abuse. Out of my closest group of friends - 5 women - 3 have experienced sexual assault (one woman twice).

And it's good to point out that domestic violence and stranger rape are not only a women's issue - domestic violence shelters are serving more men every day.

Anyway, thank you again for your post. And, while I didn't want to extend an off-topic thread further earlier in the week, also for your defense of gender-neutral pronouns. I'm a little more comfortable being a woman on these boards with men like you around. :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by cleo
Anyway, thank you again for your post. And, while I didn't want to extend an off-topic thread further earlier in the week, also for your defense of gender-neutral pronouns. I'm a little more comfortable being a woman on these boards with men like you around. :)

Its strange that we mostly see the post as masculine. I know of two women on the boards (I think) you, cleo and kela. I'm curious to know what the percentage is between the members. Is there anyway to find out?

I'm also glad you stepped out and said you were a woman, cleo. You could have easily hid behind your name and acted like the rest of us guys. The net is a weird place sometimes.....

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
We recently had an event at my college very similar to the one Rower described in his post. It was sponsored by the Femenist Majority Leadership Alliance (FMLA), of which I am the VP. We had a few speakers, presentations, and then members lead breakout sessions designed to educate and inform on a smaller level in the hopes that everyone would get some time to discuss this problem more openly and in an environment that welcomed educated dialouge. It was a pretty good success, I think. Anyway, I just wanted to commend Rower and thank all of you who try to make the world a better place every day by simply practicing tolerance. It's the little things, you know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.