Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
It's been over 4 months since her last post of any kind, does anyone know if she's okay?

(Or did she take MacRumors free iPhone and skip town... MUAHAHAHA! I hope that's not actually it...)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Katie had her own reasons for stopping, but things were ended amicably between us. I'm sorry for not posting an update on it. I've been meaning to post a final post.

arn

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
She's still around and doing just fine. Just let it be. ;) :)

If it had been just that her column stopped, I would have figured that her 'contract' to write the column had ended. But she stopped posting altogether, which had me worried. (I kept meaning to ask, but kept forgetting.)

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Hey, Thought I'd poke my head in here...

About a month after the blog started, I started to get really physically ill. I lost about 40 pounds in the span of 2 months. (Wasn't trying... And that's a lot of my body weight to lose.) I woke up day after day feeling sick as a dog. During all this, i started to develop anxiety and depression problems... Try waking up every day and feeling like a car hit you--it'll really get to ya. :-/
MR used to be my absolute favorite site. Watching it go from frivolous fun to trolling out the wazoo (a lot of it directed toward me) was disheartening. Waking up every day to see things like "is this a joke?" and personal attacks that had nothing to do with the blog (IIRC, someone actually called me fat. Real mature. If it helps any, I look emaciated now. Thanks, weird GI problem that no one's been able to diagnose!!) really took all the magic away from MR. (For the love of Teh Steve™, remember that there's another human being on the other side of that computer. Yes, the internet is serious business, but please don't be unnecessarily mean.)
My health and anxiety/depression issues finally got to be too much. I had to withdraw from uni, I stopped decorating cakes (all-time favorite hobby), I'd sleep all day, the only reason I'd get up is to go to work so I'd have some freaking money and my shift starts at two. Facilitated my 18-hour a night sleep pattern.

I'm still alive, I'm around in a limited capacity. I was doing better, but I've lost some progress: I'm still pretty depressed, but now I have body-image issues to mess with. (I feel and look like a bag of antlers.) And I still wake up every morning, sick as a dog. Every time I gain weight, I lose it back within the week. It's frustrating, to say the least.

So... Yea, my first public post in more than 4 months. Howabout that.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I'm so sorry to hear that, Katie. I hope you and your doctors can figure out what's wrong so you can get your life back. Thanks for the update -- clearly you've been through some awful stuff. I know some people were horrible to you but many of us truly appreciated your contributions to the forum.

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
Oh man, I hope you get better. That's really awful. And I agree that people need to stop being such jerks to each other online. It's really annoying to read that kind of thing.

BOSS10L

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Upstate NY
Katie -

I'm new to Mac and MR, so I don't have any background to speak of, but as someone who also suffers with GI issues on a daily basis (it ain't pretty), I can feel your pain. I wish you the best of luck and health. Hopefully the docs will be able to figure out what is ailing you and give you a fix for it. You will be in my thoughts.

Keep your head up luv. :)

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
So... Yea, my first public post in more than 4 months. Howabout that.

heh. Nice to hear that you're still around, I was afraid (and looks like it was justified,) that something was wrong outside-MR. Hope you get better soon, I've dealt with my own 'never-properly-diagnosed really bad health issues' in the past, and it's no fun.

As for the [expletive removed] posters here on MR, yeah, they can be hard to ignore sometimes. And when you're going through other depression-causing issues, I can understand the self-imposed hiatus.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Hang in there Katie. :)

Not everyone here was so cranky. I can't imagine what it must have been like for you to have some people jumping all over you like that.

I thought your posts has a very fresh perspective from a very REAL person using the iPhone.

I wish you the best, and hope you get better soon. Just know that some of us here really looked forward to reading your posts, and don't hesitate to pop in and say hello when you feel up to it.

Good luck, and I wish you well.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I don't own an iPhone, but I read every one of your articles. They were great. I hope you recover.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Good luck katie, hope that your health improves and we see you back around here soon. I for one always thought you added a lot to the forums, not just your iphone columns but all your various posts. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for an easy recovery for you!

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Wow! I took a look at your profile, and I had no idea you have been posting here for so long! For some reason I thought you were "new" when your blog started.

It's obvious that you have a lot more to offer here than "some" people thought.

breath of apple

macrumors member
May 2, 2007
Thank you, arn, for the final post.

Godspeed, Katie, and thank you for your posts and creative and enjoyable iphone reviews. You are in our prayers for a quick recovery! :)

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Katie, sorry to hear about your health... I hope you recover soon (and that the doctors figure out what it is!)

I haven't had health issues quite so severe but I know how scary it is when something's wrong and nobody can tell you exactly what. :(

Thanks for the update.

And ignore those idiots. We do!

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Oh no, poor you Katie. We had an exchange of PMs about sign language or something like that, and you made some lovely comments.

My partner had anorexia before she met me, and she told me about her experiences of losing so much bodyweight she almost died. I know yours is something completely different, but it must still be very unpleasant to have food going through you and not feeding you properly.

I'm not a doc, nor do I play one on TV, but have you considered some sort of food intolerance?

I've always been quite thin, even tho I ate lots of pizza and pasta and bread and cakes and museli and stuff - then I recently wondered if I had a wheat intolerance (won't go into detail here, but often I'd feel tired or lethargic after eating a large meal) and tried cutting out wheat / gluten, and now my digestion and energy levels have improved.

hope you work something out soon

xx RedTomato

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
Am I the only one who feels a bit guilty about all this? I can't help but feel like I bear some blame for this since I was one of the original critics...

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
I hope things work out for you Katie. I had a condition that keep me at home locked in my room for months and I know how being sick can totally screw up your life.

Am I the only one who feels a bit guilty about all this? I can't help but feel like I bear some blame for this since I was one of the original critics...

I don't think she is particularly implicating Mac Rumors as the cause of all her problems. People will be jerks online just like they will be jerks offline, its just easier to say mean things here rather then just thinking them.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I'm really sorry to hear that Katie. :(

I was concerned when your blog stopped so suddenly, and then your posting altogether. I must admit, I wanted to start a thread asking about your absence, but I was afraid of starting a thread on a topic that had already been addressed (I was sure I must have missed something).

I'm also really sorry to hear that some of the comments on these forums upset you (and understandably so). You're right, people need to know there's a real person at the other end of the internet, and they need to be respectful. Although, when you can look past that, I think we're still the same MacRumors we've always been (or at least I hope).

I really enjoyed your writing, and I hope you'll start posting again once you're feeling better. :)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
katie,

I am very sorry to hear this. I will admit that I haven't really followed your blog very much, but I'm sure it was good. I also know how some people that make bad remarks can really get to you and get under your skin.

I really hope that you get better, and get your life back on track. I know it will be hard for you, but you can pull thru this, you can. I don't want to sound creepy or anything, but if you ever need someone to talk to, my AIM is in my profile. so if you ever need a friend, remember that there are nice people in this world.

whatever you do, just remember that you can do it.

get well soon :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.