PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV: Take Two Arrival Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

themanfromvlad
Jan 28, 2008, 11:06 PM
Okay, Tuesday's here. Steve said two weeks, it's been two weeks. Let's get the update out so we can figure out how Take Two really is, and possibly hack it!

Let us know how the update went, and bonus points to the first person who posts here after the update is actually out!

gr8tfly
Jan 28, 2008, 11:09 PM
Apple is in California, and it's still Monday here. :(

But, I'm chomping at the bit, too, waiting (*tap, tap, tap, tap*). Only a few more hours, I hope...

Nightline
Jan 28, 2008, 11:11 PM
Yawn...:rolleyes:

Me too.. East coast here, just watched 2 movies on the Apple TV, guess I will watch another...

:apple:

heftylefty
Jan 28, 2008, 11:12 PM
ya im not so patiently waiting for the release. i hope to god it comes out at midnight cuz i cant think about anything else right now lol

drumpat01
Jan 28, 2008, 11:15 PM
update already!! EEEK im pretty excited over here. Finally my :apple:tv will be truely loved and appreciated by all!

davak
Jan 28, 2008, 11:20 PM

Your Apple TV is up to date.

:)

Davak

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 28, 2008, 11:25 PM
I'm going to bed -- to dream sweet dreams of a real update with real functionality. Maybe I'll do the patchstick thing tomorrow.

heftylefty
Jan 28, 2008, 11:25 PM

Davak

i hate seeing that right now

gr8tfly
Jan 28, 2008, 11:27 PM

Davak

rough. ;)

Though, I haven't got to the point of checking for updates (yet)...

the_insider
Jan 28, 2008, 11:27 PM
you really think this update is going to come at midnight? have other updates previously been released at midnight?

gr8tfly
Jan 28, 2008, 11:32 PM
you really think this update is going to come at midnight? have other updates previously been released at midnight?

Nope. Just some bored and impatient folk, I think.

drumpat01
Jan 28, 2008, 11:39 PM
somebody wake me when/if it happens...I'm beat.

Nightline
Jan 28, 2008, 11:47 PM
While waiting, I figured I would try something. I did a reset on my :apple:tv to factory, knowing it would download the first official update from 1.0. After it was all done though, it was just back to 1.1. I figured that would be the case, but tried it anyway.

Mindflux
Jan 28, 2008, 11:54 PM
I might try the update if someone can confirm that it does not overwrite the restore image. I'd like to be able to revert back to 1.0 if I find 2.0 not what I'd like it to be.

the_insider
Jan 29, 2008, 12:06 AM
when do updates usually get updated?

DJAKO
Jan 29, 2008, 12:14 AM
when do updates usually get updated?

Usually when they are ready :p

heftylefty
Jan 29, 2008, 02:02 AM
well my clocks say its 12:00 and i just tried to update it, but no luck...ill try in a little while again lol

ipedro
Jan 29, 2008, 02:05 AM
Guys, I don't think there's anybody at One Infinite Loop waiting to press a switch at midnight.

The update will come at some point during the day on Tuesday.

... and if it doesn't, there's going to be a riot I think... from what I can tell from this thread :D

heftylefty
Jan 29, 2008, 02:11 AM
im already rioting....aglakfahewe

edit- only cuz im bored and dont wanna do my hw lol

the_insider
Jan 29, 2008, 02:28 AM
Guys, I don't think there's anybody at One Infinite Loop waiting to press a switch at midnight.

The update will come at some point during the day on Tuesday.

... and if it doesn't, there's going to be a riot I think... from what I can tell from this thread :D

i was hoping it would be automatic.:)

i'll just rent a movie on itunes... sleep, and update :apple:TV when I wake up.

Tomorrow will be a good day, I can feel it. :D

heftylefty
Jan 29, 2008, 02:34 AM
hehe yup. i already have 300 and superbad rented, just waiting the the stupid update

ipedro
Jan 29, 2008, 02:35 AM
^ such a big change would require some sort of supervision, even if it is automatic.

Imagine there's some sort of bug that the Apple team wasn't able to uncover without general implementation and the office opens in the morning to discover that iTunes has been giving away hundreds of thousands of free music, tv shows and movies to AppleTV owners switching to the 2.0. :D

heftylefty
Jan 29, 2008, 02:44 AM
^ such a big change would require some sort of supervision, even if it is automatic.

Imagine there's some sort of bug that the Apple team wasn't able to uncover without general implementation and the office opens in the morning to discover that iTunes has been giving away hundreds of thousands of free music, tv shows and movies to AppleTV owners switching to the 2.0. :D

i would probably go and steal my friends 1tb external hd and "accidently restore" it and start clicking away lol....but then i wouldnt be surprised to see like a $1000 charge on my credit card a week later when they find out haha

crjeong
Jan 29, 2008, 02:52 AM
hehe yup. i already have 300 and superbad rented, just waiting the the stupid update

You do realise you can't sync rentals purchased on your computer to your appletv....

gr8tfly
Jan 29, 2008, 02:59 AM
You do realise you can't sync rentals purchased on your computer to your appletv....

Can't go from the AppleTV to iTunes, but according to iTunes 7.6 help:
After the movie downloads to your computer, to transfer the rental to an iPod, iPhone, or Apple TV, connect the device, select it in iTunes, click the Movies tab, select the movie, and then click Move.

Those of us who have tried, know it won't currently let you do this, so it's assumed it will be enabled after the Apple TV update.

heftylefty
Jan 29, 2008, 03:04 AM
ya i know it wont currently do that, i had the impression that you can watch it through the ATV after the update...we'll see.

crjeong
Jan 29, 2008, 03:05 AM
Can't go from the AppleTV to iTunes, but according to iTunes 7.6 help:
After the movie downloads to your computer, to transfer the rental to an iPod, iPhone, or Apple TV, connect the device, select it in iTunes, click the Movies tab, select the movie, and then click Move.

Those of us who have tried, know it won't currently let you do this, so it's assumed it will be enabled after the Apple TV update.

Oh okay....i eat my words....Haha!

Thats cool! I didn't know that!

juniormaj
Jan 29, 2008, 03:15 AM
I think it must be drawing near. Usually the iTunes Store does it's Tuesday updates sometime Monday night between 10pm and Midnight on the West Coast, and it still hasn't as of 1am. Usually that only happens when they are readying something new on the store, or when Monday is a holiday.
My guess is that the Store will refresh around the same time the :apple:TV update starts appearing.
Of course, that could be mid-day I suppose.

nlivo
Jan 29, 2008, 03:33 AM
I Want The Update Now!!!! Anyone Up For Starting A Riot???

billabong
Jan 29, 2008, 03:42 AM
Still nothing, looks like I'll try tomorrow....

jbomber
Jan 29, 2008, 04:30 AM
5:30 AM EST

No updates yet.

You have 7 and a half hours before you are officially a liar, Steve. :-)

gr8tfly
Jan 29, 2008, 05:20 AM
I had a brief moment of glee: "Update Available..."

But, no... I just finished installing a newly setup 250GB WD. It has the original version 1.0 from the Recovery partition.

I'm letting it go ahead with the update anyway, before starting the media sync.

Still, I'm glad I have the new drive ready for *crossing fingers* later today.

gr8tfly
Jan 29, 2008, 05:20 AM
Still nothing, looks like I'll try tomorrow....

It is tomorrow... ;)

Philpo
Jan 29, 2008, 05:47 AM
It is tomorrow... ;)

Didn't Steve say end of the month? I got a new Appple TV for this update but I bet we don't see it today! Don't get your hopes up.... :)

Delta608
Jan 29, 2008, 06:04 AM

you Apple Tv Is Up To Date

AppleMatt
Jan 29, 2008, 06:13 AM
Downloading update...

AppleMatt

nlivo
Jan 29, 2008, 06:16 AM
Downloading update...

AppleMatt

You're lying, right?

AppleMatt
Jan 29, 2008, 06:20 AM
Actually no, I'm not. But I might have to take it back. I just opened iTunes. Everything for the AppleTV is greyed out, and it says 1.0. The only entry on the bar at the bottom is 'Other - 216.2MB'. I've just tried to sync and it says AppleTV unavailable.

I haven't done a restore ever, but I can't promise someone else hasn't over the last couple of weeks. That or it just broke.

Wait and see I suppose.

AppleMatt

gr8tfly
Jan 29, 2008, 06:35 AM
Didn't Steve say end of the month? I got a new Appple TV for this update but I bet we don't see it today! Don't get your hopes up.... :)

I'm losing track, but my vague memory says it was the iPhone SDK that was coming at the end of February.

steve77uk
Jan 29, 2008, 06:46 AM
Well it is 12:45pm here in the UK and still no update...

I have my doubts it will happen today... I am wondering if it is linked to the 10.5.2 update in some way or they are waiting for that to be released first...?

:(

DennisVR
Jan 29, 2008, 07:25 AM
come'on Steve, we need our fix.

drumpat01
Jan 29, 2008, 07:39 AM
if it doesn't come out in the next two hours, but then comes out later today, i wont be able to play with it until late tonight! Come on already!!

stomer
Jan 29, 2008, 07:42 AM
When do the updates usually arrive? 6am PDT? Or is it at any point during the day?

drumpat01
Jan 29, 2008, 07:49 AM
iTunes store usually updates about 1am central time and it never updated and now its almost 8am. So, im hoping beyond hope that the reason it hasn't updated is because its tied to the :apple:TV update.

LVdustin
Jan 29, 2008, 08:04 AM
6:00 A.M. has passed, no update...Anyone else got any spectacular time release rumors?

Nightline
Jan 29, 2008, 08:11 AM
Maybe when Steve said the update would be available in two weeks, he actually meant 2 weeks to the actual time the keynote started. So maybe at 9am Today on the west coast it will be available... Thats 3 more hours from this post.

quadcity007
Jan 29, 2008, 08:26 AM
Maybe when Steve said the update would be available in two weeks, he actually meant 2 weeks to the actual time the keynote started. So maybe at 9am Today on the west coast it will be available... Thats 3 more hours from this post.

I think you're taking the speech WAY to literally.

LVdustin
Jan 29, 2008, 08:32 AM
True on that, but hey, we can have our speculations, who while we are waiting...what team do you want to win the Superbowl?

NightStorm
Jan 29, 2008, 08:38 AM
Wow, I want the update as much as the next guy, but some of the posts here are almost scary. I do hope some of them are not serious posts. Enjoy the day, if it comes out today great, but if it doesn't, I'm sure Steve and friends have a very good reason behind it. :D

kbunch
Jan 29, 2008, 08:39 AM
I am new to Apple products. I just got my Macbook a couple of months ago. Is this how Apple operates with updates, they never tell you a date, you just have to check and check and check to see when it hits?

LVdustin
Jan 29, 2008, 08:47 AM
I am new to Apple products. I just got my Macbook a couple of months ago. Is this how Apple operates with updates, they never tell you a date, you just have to check and check and check to see when it hits?

Basically, it's a freaking drug, you can't get enough of it, I skip college classes sometimes just to sit around and wait for an rumored update to hit. Sometimes it does, and it makes my day, sometimes, nothing, and that just totally messes me up.

Sooner or later, you are going to get the urge and excitement of new gadgets and gizmo's by Apple and won't be able to get enough of them.

drumpat01
Jan 29, 2008, 08:49 AM
for the most part, yes this is how Apple software updates go. Unless your talking about major Mac OS X updates like when Leopard was released or sometimes iLife/iWork updates. But iLife/iWork updates usually come at media events so...they are a surprise, but also not really.

NightStorm
Jan 29, 2008, 08:51 AM
Yes, they follow the same procedures as pretty much any other company who releases software updates... the only difference is that there are some Apple fans that take things to a crazy unparalleled level and believe the company owes them things whenever they want them. It's kind of crazy, but as long as you can overlook that, its a pretty fun community to be in.

Nightline
Jan 29, 2008, 08:52 AM

They gave us a date during the Macworld keynote, Steve said 2 weeks from that day, which means it should happen at some time today. They did not give an actual time though.

themanfromvlad
Jan 29, 2008, 08:57 AM
I can't believe this thread has gone this far. Starting this thread was the last thing I did before going to sleep last night. Kudos to those who are waiting for the exact minute that marks exactly two weeks this afternoon.

I work until 10pm tonight, so please keep me informed!

drumpat01
Jan 29, 2008, 09:18 AM
Well thanks to you mr. Thread Starter. I appreciate it as I'm sure the others do as well. I am now sitting in my college Earth Science class and will be checking this forum off and on hoping to see some good news :)

LVdustin
Jan 29, 2008, 09:23 AM
Im in my Psychology class as we speak.

ChrisClark1977
Jan 29, 2008, 09:25 AM
I'm not sure if this was updated recently, or if it's been like this for a while, but the Apple TV hardware now reads "Ships: Within 24 hours" on the Apple Store. Since the new Apple TVs are supposed to have the new software, wouldn't that be a good indicator that we're close?

I, like all of you, am anxiously awaiting this. We got an Apple TV for Christmas (I was nearly having a heart attack during the SteveNote before he said "Free Software Upgrade") and it's been great, so far. Can't wait to try out the new features.

LVdustin
Jan 29, 2008, 09:31 AM
the TV is usually shipped with version 1.0 and then updated. I received mine for x-mas as well and had to update to 1.1, so I am just thinking they just had to get their stock replenished which is why it says ships in 24 hours now. Until that main page on apple's site is being updated, and reflects that iTunes Movie Rentals for the Apple TV is now available, there will be no update. the Apple Store must go down for update maintenance before anything occurs.

steve77uk
Jan 29, 2008, 09:36 AM
When I bought mine, it came with 1.1 installed. This was last October/November?

I find it annoying that they don't give a date. I wonder if they have actually finished it or whether they are scurrying around to get it done - like someone said maybe they have not finished encoding the movies yet...

Maybe the didn't give a date because they didn't think it would be ready in time for today...

He could have just said it will be two weeks today or two weeks on tuesday etc... grrr

I just hope we get it the same time in the UK and not hold out until the movies come on board here. If they do I will be a bit cross! The Apple UK pages make no mention of updates ( that I can remember). Also Apple.com said coming soon - and no date.

Tobias9200
Jan 29, 2008, 09:44 AM
So.. somebody into calling Apple Customer service to get some information while waiting?:)

LVdustin
Jan 29, 2008, 09:44 AM
When I bought mine, it came with 1.1 installed. This was last October/November?

I find it annoying that they don't give a date. I wonder if they have actually finished it or whether they are scurrying around to get it done - like someone said maybe they have not finished encoding the movies yet...

Maybe the didn't give a date because they didn't think it would be ready in time for today...

He could have just said it will be two weeks today or two weeks on tuesday etc... grrr

I just hope we get it the same time in the UK and not hold out until the movies come on board here. If they do I will be a bit cross! The Apple UK pages make no mention of updates ( that I can remember). Also Apple.com said coming soon - and no date.

Actually what I find amazing about the UK iTunes Music Store, is that your albums have been updated on the main page, The U.S. or maybe it's just my ITMS, is still showing Albums released last week and not this week, but the new albums have been posted on the individual artist pages, what the eff is going on within the ITMS database, is anyone experiencing any downtime with any utilities pertaining to that?

LVdustin
Jan 29, 2008, 09:46 AM
So.. somebody into calling Apple Customer service to get some information while waiting?:)

Last time i did that, I was inquiring about the 10.5 update, and i got my ass chewed by them basically saying they have no further information on updates. Apple Customer Service doesn't really have that type of knowledge of release of specific updates, you need to go to the source, which would be Sector 7, class 5 Extra Super Duper Tech Release Date Support. :D

joco
Jan 29, 2008, 09:48 AM
Has anyone noticed this link on the Apple page?

http://www.apple.com/appletv/upgrade/

I never saw that before... but then I havent been to the AppleTV site since last week.

mrklaw
Jan 29, 2008, 09:51 AM
The Apple UK pages make no mention of updates ( that I can remember). Also Apple.com said coming soon - and no date.

The UK pages do mention the update, however the wording is different.

US site:
Movie rentals, both HD- and DVD-quality
TV show, music, and music video purchases
Photos from Flickr and .Mac web galleries
Direct access to over 125,000 podcasts

UK site:
music, and music video purchases
Photos from Flickr and .Mac web galleries
Direct access to over 125,000 podcasts

so the UK is not mentioning movie or TV purchases. I find that odd as the UK store does have TV shows to buy.

I'm hoping they all have the same firmware, and the access depends which store you are logged into (I have a US account but am based in the UK)

some shows/movies I'd download on the PC as I watch them on the go, but some (like terminator) we watch together in the lounge so it would be simpler to buy and download direct to the appleTV.

BTW, anyone know what happens with season passes? I have one to scrubs season 7 - any idea if you can set those to automatically download to the appleTV?

drumpat01
Jan 29, 2008, 09:52 AM
That site has been there since the keynote. I thought i was specially when I first saw it too lol :)

joco
Jan 29, 2008, 09:59 AM
That site has been there since the keynote. I thought i was specially when I first saw it too lol :)

Well the interesting thing is that is doesnt have a date... if Steve actually meant two weeks, I would think it would mention todays date.

Personally, I am not holding my breath, if Apple doesnt put out a concrete date then it really is anyones guess.

drumpat01
Jan 29, 2008, 10:04 AM
the most telling thing to me that the update is coming today is the fact that iTunes store has not been updated yet. That HAS to mean something. iTunes updates are ALWAYS really early tuesday mornings unless there is an update coming.

KakaduDreamer
Jan 29, 2008, 10:09 AM
For me, I think the most amusing thing I've read so far are you guys who are sitting in your college Earth Science and Psychology classes, checking for :apple:TV updates! For what it's worth, I'm "sitting here" in my online Spatial Databases class, trying to decide if I should start writing my paper on "semantics, ontologies, and data modeling" or keep clicking the Refresh button to see what the latest postings are regarding the :apple:TV update.

I think you know which I option I chose!

DennisVR
Jan 29, 2008, 10:09 AM
the most telling thing to me that the update is coming today is the fact that iTunes store has not been updated yet. That HAS to mean something. iTunes updates are ALWAYS really early tuesday mornings unless there is an update coming.

prolly a dumb question, but where can you see this ?

themanfromvlad
Jan 29, 2008, 10:14 AM

Holy crap! Reasonable speculation! Very interesting information.

sminman
Jan 29, 2008, 10:22 AM

I never saw that before... but then I havent been to the AppleTV site since last week.

This has definitely been added since yesterday afternoon.

It wasn't there when I looked yesterday, good catch!

Maybe the update will be available at 6 for all the time zones like they have been doing for awhile now?

I thought they would have released it a midnight (Tuesday morning) so the traffic wouldn't be as bad and people could update throughout the day instead of all at once.

jbomber
Jan 29, 2008, 10:22 AM
Holy crap! Reasonable speculation! Very interesting information.

LOL!

nice.

Steve better get this update out the door before we start tearing each other apart. hehehehe...

drumpat01
Jan 29, 2008, 10:25 AM
prolly a dumb question, but where can you see this ?

on the iTunes store front page inside iTunes. its the same it has been all week.

LVdustin
Jan 29, 2008, 10:27 AM
For me, I think the most amusing thing I've read so far are you guys who are sitting in your college Earth Science and Psychology classes, checking for :apple:TV updates! For what it's worth, I'm "sitting here" in my online Spatial Databases class, trying to decide if I should start writing my paper on "semantics, ontologies, and data modeling" or keep clicking the Refresh button to see what the latest postings are regarding the :apple:TV update.

I think you know which I option I chose!

This day seems to be becoming a mental health day by the looks of it. You should've seen me two weeks ago during the Keynote, I was sitting in a lecture, spazzing out because of the updates and MBA. not a good sight...

sminman

Can you tell the time that this page was created in the source of that page?

LVdustin
I say, we just write our own update, it'll come faster...

billabong
Jan 29, 2008, 10:29 AM
I really hope it's soon.. I'm hoping for 9AM!

mensrea
Jan 29, 2008, 10:29 AM

Maybe the update will be available at 6 for all the time zones like they have been doing for awhile now?

I thought they would have released it a midnight (Tuesday morning) so the traffic wouldn't be as bad and people could update throughout the day instead of all at once.

NO, as noted above, this has been there since the keynote. I read it on that very day. It is not new.

Tobias9200
Jan 29, 2008, 10:30 AM

The page has been there since the keynote guys..

filmguy15
Jan 29, 2008, 10:30 AM
Relax everyone, Steve said "2-weeks", which basically means any day THIS WEEK. Technically they could get away with as late as Friday...

Those of you expecting it to be release the same hour it was announce are going to be sorely disappointed. Chill out and watch some movies, enjoy the last few days of your old Apple TV interface :P

bacaramac
Jan 29, 2008, 10:32 AM

I also just noticed this link yesterday. Also, I don't think the encodes would slow the release of this update. Apple can continue to encode and update as needed. Unless, for some reason they have a contractual agreement with movie companies to release certain movies on release date.

sminman
Jan 29, 2008, 10:36 AM
Relax everyone, Steve said "2-weeks", which basically means any day THIS WEEK. Technically they could get away with as late as Friday...

Those of you expecting it to be release the same hour it was announce are going to be sorely disappointed. Chill out and watch some movies, enjoy the last few days of your old Apple TV interface :P

How can I watch movies without the update? ;):confused:

nando2323
Jan 29, 2008, 10:36 AM
On engadget!

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/29/switched-on-apple-tv-gets-its-second-audition/

jasonrm
Jan 29, 2008, 10:39 AM
Tired of checking your AppleTV for the update?

http://mesu.apple.com/version.xml

Watch for when it changes to a new BuildVersion & DMG file... ;)

Pre-Update (showing the 1.1 update)
<key>BuildVersion</key>
<string>8N5239</string>
<key>UpdateURL</key>

<string>http://mesu.apple.com/data/OS/061-2988.20070620.bHy75/2Z694-5248-45.dmg</string>
<key>Version</key>
<string>10.4.7</string>

mensrea
Jan 29, 2008, 10:39 AM
I also just noticed this link yesterday.

then you were also late noticing it, 'cause it has been there since the keynote.

jbellanca
Jan 29, 2008, 10:40 AM
On engadget!

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/29/switched-on-apple-tv-gets-its-second-audition/

Don't get all excited - no real new news in that article at all.

filmguy15
Jan 29, 2008, 10:41 AM
How can I watch movies without the update? ;):confused:

Sorry I guess I assumed that most people rip their movies to their apple tv. Watch YouTube then? ;)

sminman
Jan 29, 2008, 10:44 AM
Sorry I guess I assumed that most people rip their movies to their apple tv. Watch YouTube then? ;)

Just kidding!

I do rip my movies but it will be so much nicer and so much more convenient when I can rent movies without any effort.

billabong
Jan 29, 2008, 10:59 AM
9AM still nothing... Looks like I'll have to try after work today.

Mac In School
Jan 29, 2008, 11:01 AM
LOL @ the number of views this thread has already. :)

Yeah, I'm anxious too. That's why I'm here.

heftylefty
Jan 29, 2008, 11:16 AM
theres about 1/4 in. of snow on the ground, i think i need to play it safe and stay home and watch out for the update...

natasha69
Jan 29, 2008, 11:35 AM
most of their updates roll out around 2/3pm PST. my bet is then.

heftylefty
Jan 29, 2008, 11:37 AM
ya thats about when v1.1.3 came out for the iphone

nick.hobbie
Jan 29, 2008, 12:04 PM
take into consideration of the ATV, when it was first announced, i bought one and Steve told the world that it would ship January. It wasn't until late February or Early March until I received it. Apple kept pushing it back. I have no hopes that the update will be anytime soon. It is the curse of the Apple TV.

sminman
Jan 29, 2008, 12:30 PM
theres about 1/4 in. of snow on the ground, i think i need to play it safe and stay home and watch out for the update...

Thats funny cause the city of Dallas, TX would be out of commission for 3 days if we had that much snow!

Wish I could use that excuse...:rolleyes:

filmguy15
Jan 29, 2008, 12:43 PM

Hmmm, we have a foot or so I think.....I WIN! But I still have to go to class. Luckily it's a graphic design class, so I can keep MR in the background the whole time.

wPod
Jan 29, 2008, 12:43 PM
how many other companies out there make a small update to some software on a product that has not been selling well, then people become obsessed about the release of the new software??

Apple is an amazing company. . . they would just be more amazing if they release the take two software right. .. .about. . . NOW!

themanfromvlad
Jan 29, 2008, 12:46 PM
how many other companies out there make a small update to some software on a product that has not been selling well, then people become obsessed about the release of the new software??

Apple is an amazing company. . . they would just be more amazing if they release the take two software right. .. .about. . . NOW!

I think this Apple TV hysteria is happening because in a sense everyone is getting a new product, without having to buy anything.

the_insider
Jan 29, 2008, 12:47 PM

i can tell you that i saw this page a week ago.

AlexH
Jan 29, 2008, 12:49 PM
A small update with one big time feature that I've been wanting for, for a long, long time - the ability to rent movies on ATV without leaving my La-Z-Boy recliner. :cool:

jbellanca
Jan 29, 2008, 12:57 PM

Actually a lot of people with DirecTV are kind of fanatical like this too, especially with the HD DVR's. Maybe not quite as bad, but we get pretty excited with new software updates - check out dbstalk.com.

LVdustin
Jan 29, 2008, 12:58 PM
I am guessing friday now, just because today is a day of a series of down endings.

Tobias9200
Jan 29, 2008, 01:06 PM
I am guessing friday now, just because today is a day of a series of down endings.

Only reason for me to think that's not true is that the iTunes store is still not updated...

natasha69
Jan 29, 2008, 01:17 PM
Actually a lot of people with DirecTV are kind of fanatical like this too, especially with the HD DVR's. Maybe not quite as bad, but we get pretty excited with new software updates - check out dbstalk.com.

umm...world of warcraft anyone? lol. tuesday patches are what people live/die for in that game.

natasha69
Jan 29, 2008, 01:18 PM
so, the ATV's sold in stores today - they have which version of the software - take 1 or take 2?

Passante
Jan 29, 2008, 01:19 PM

That has been there for a while. I've been checking.

KakaduDreamer
Jan 29, 2008, 01:25 PM
umm...world of warcraft anyone? lol. tuesday patches are what people live/die for in that game.

Speaking of WoW, here is a little something to tide us over while we wait for the :apple:TV update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRgNOyCnbqg

(probably NSFW)

peeaanuut
Jan 29, 2008, 01:35 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhizzle: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I never clicked on a you tube link on my iPhone before. It was pretty cool that it launched the application. Guess you learn something new everyday.

kbunch
Jan 29, 2008, 01:40 PM
Speaking of WoW, here is a little something to tide us over while we wait for the :apple:TV update.

(probably NSFW)

That is old but pretty funny. I like the guild wars version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTnxrZeCWE&feature=related

This is funny too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ouuPyYVDw&search=World%20of%20Warcraft%20scotsman

DJAKO
Jan 29, 2008, 01:45 PM
so, the ATV's sold in stores today - they have which version of the software - take 1 or take 2?

About 99.9% sure they will all take 1. I have a feeling that take 2 boxes will look a bit different.

heftylefty
Jan 29, 2008, 01:53 PM

(probably NSFW)

i dont play wow and i know this is ages old but it will never give me a dull moment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU

LEROY! JENKINNNSSSS!

LVdustin
Jan 29, 2008, 01:59 PM
See the weird thing to me, is that the US music store has been bugging out lately, but if you click on the left and right arrows on the main store, it goes to the new albums sold today, but still gets reset once circling through it all. Also if you go to the specific genres, it reflects the new albums.

Weird crap.

Sonicjay
Jan 29, 2008, 02:03 PM
i dont play wow and i know this is ages old but it will never give me a dull moment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU

LEROY! JENKINNNSSSS!

Still cracks me up every time! I have it bookmarked on my iPhone

heftylefty
Jan 29, 2008, 02:05 PM
well the apple homepage is updated...not that it means anything at this point:(

Nightline
Jan 29, 2008, 02:09 PM
well the apple homepage is updated...not that it means anything at this point:(

I don't notice anything different on the home page, am I missing something?

natasha69
Jan 29, 2008, 02:11 PM
I don't notice anything different on the home page, am I missing something?

steve winked at us. look closer... :)

Tobias9200
Jan 29, 2008, 02:21 PM
steve winked at us. look closer... :)

Dude.. LOL:D
You mean /startpage right..?

joco
Jan 29, 2008, 02:21 PM
I wouldnt hold my breath for a release today... maybe this week Read the press release it says "The new Apple TV software will be available as a free automatic download to all Apple TV customers later this month."

Which means it could be anytime from now until EOD Thursday (1/31)

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/01/15appletv.html

freshwunder
Jan 29, 2008, 02:42 PM
Did you see they posted the video rentals on your TV on apple.com? Like the how - to...sorry if I am late getting into this conversation and thats been up for a week. haha. but i just noticed it.

MSLonghorny
Jan 29, 2008, 02:44 PM
My bet is still for today...

Few reasons...

iTunes has been acting funky today. I think there might be some bugs on the back-end that they are working out at the last minute. Once iTunes is back to normal I think they will release the update. I'm thinking 5PM Central Time (ish).

It is Tuesday.

The Apple Start Page has been updated to tell people how to rent movies.

The Florida Republican Primary is tonight and something HAS to distract me from it.

FreeState
Jan 29, 2008, 02:52 PM
Im hoping for today but I dont see any proof it will be today

My bet is still for today...

Few reasons...

iTunes has been acting funky today. I think there might be some bugs on the back-end that they are working out at the last minute. Once iTunes is back to normal I think they will release the update. I'm thinking 5PM Central Time (ish).

iTunes store has been buggy for me since the 15th.

It is Tuesday.

The last :apple:TV update was released on a Wednesday

The Apple Start Page has been updated to tell people how to rent movies.

That same banner has appeared elsewhere on Apple's site since the keynote - its just been moved to http://www.apple.com/startpage - its 50/50 for me - could just be there to fill space until its out. But this is the strongest evidence of all your list IMO:)

The Florida Republican Primary is tonight and something HAS to distract me from it.

What you don't like watching train wrecks? :D

davak
Jan 29, 2008, 02:53 PM

Your Apple TV is *still* up to date.

I think my apple TV is getting tired of my hitting the software update screen...

natasha69
Jan 29, 2008, 02:55 PM

Your Apple TV is *still* up to date.

I think my apple TV is getting tired of my hitting the software update screen...

omg, i set the clock forward one day, and now its updating! woot!

j/k

heftylefty
Jan 29, 2008, 02:56 PM
omg, i set the clock forward one day, and now its updating! woot!

j/k

you got my heart racing for a sec...not cool!

MSLonghorny
Jan 29, 2008, 02:59 PM
iTunes store has been buggy for me since the 15th.

It hasn't been buggy at all for me until this morning.

The last :apple:TV update was released on a Wednesday

That update was used as an iPhone pusher though (I think)

That same banner has appeared elsewhere on Apple's site since the keynote - its just been moved to http://www.apple.com/startpage - its 50/50 for me - could just be there to fill space until its out. But this is the strongest evidence of all your list IMO:)

Why have it prominently displayed when it doesn't have a purpose yet?

What you don't like watching train wrecks? :D

I'm worried that John McPain will win in Florida. In my opinion whoever wins Florida is going to get the Republican Nomination.

Nightline
Jan 29, 2008, 02:59 PM
I just set my date to June 4, 2014 and not only can I now rent movies, but I can see new movies before they hit the theatre...

That was a good one Natasha...

:apple::apple::apple::apple:

mine says... "Your Apple TV is *still* up to date....MORON!!"

harcosparky
Jan 29, 2008, 03:03 PM
WOW!!!!

I just hit SOFTWARE UPDATE and it said ......

Take 5 Dude ... Take 2 ain't here yet!!!

I guess it's mad at me hitting the buttons every 5 minutes! :D :D :D :D

FreeState
Jan 29, 2008, 03:06 PM
It hasn't been buggy at all for me until this morning.

Your lucky then! I even lost an album I purchased - it just disappeared for no reason. They refunded it but still wierd.

That update was used as an iPhone pusher though (I think)

Nope it added YouTube and some fixes but the iPhone YouTube was announced at the same time.

Why have it prominently displayed when it doesn't have a purpose yet?

Apple kind of screwed this up - if you check the Apple forums you will see mass confusion on this because even the page with the video on the rentals does not say coming soon - just banners on 4 other pages - when you would think it would be needed on the pages most people want to view.

I'm worried that John McPain will win in Florida. In my opinion whoever wins Florida is going to get the Republican Nomination.

LOL - well as a Mormon Im praying it isn't Romney - I dont know that I could stand another 12+ months of anti-mormon commentary :eek: But then again Im a Kucinich supporter that now has no one left to vote for that I feel excited about :p

Im going to burry my head in my AppleTV the next 12 months and not pay attention anymore LOL - come one update I need you! ;)

MSLonghorny
Jan 29, 2008, 03:11 PM
Nope it added youTube and some fixes.

Exactly... and iPhone pusher. It was released with the announcement of YouTube on the iPhone.

Apple kind of screwed this up - if you check the Apple forums you will see mass confusion on this because even the page with the video on the rentals does not say coming soon - just banners on 4 other pages - when you would think it would be needed on the pages most people want to view.

I think the displaying of it on the start page is different though. It was probably already suppose to be out but got hit with a bug (hence iTunes funkiness today).

LOL - well as a Mormon Im praying it isn't Romney - I dont know that I could stand another 12+ months of anti-mormon commentary :eek: But then again Im a Kucinich supporter that now has no one left to vote for that I feel excited about :p

I'm all for Romney. I think it's interesting how we are "beyond racism and sexism" when it comes to the Democrat race, yet when the main stream media brings up Romney all they care about is his religion.

Im going to burry my head in my AppleTV the next 12 months and not pay attention anymore LOL - come one update I need you! ;)
Ditto

FreeState
Jan 29, 2008, 03:13 PM
Well I just got Keynote, Pages and Numbers updates via software update:) Now if only we could get the 10.5.2 and AppleTV today Id be one happy camper...

Edit to add the update to Pages and Numbers says:

"This update addresses compatibility with Mac OS X." WTF?

Nightline
Jan 29, 2008, 03:15 PM
Well I just got Keynote, Pages and Numbers updates via software update:) Now if only we could get the 10.5.2 and AppleTV today Id be one happy camper...

Same here...

MSLonghorny
Jan 29, 2008, 03:16 PM

Yay! They are rolling out the Updates now!

*fingers crossed*

jbellanca
Jan 29, 2008, 03:21 PM
No idea how reliable this info is at all, so take it with a very large grain, or maybe a whole shaker, of salt, but... several people on the Apple discussion forums are saying that customer service reps have told them the update will be in the beginning of February.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1356425&tstart=0

Nightline
Jan 29, 2008, 03:25 PM
No idea how reliable this info is at all, so take it with a very large grain, or maybe a whole shaker, of salt, but... several people on the Apple discussion forums are saying that customer service reps have told them the update will be in the beginning of February.

Interesting, well if it has to be that way, its better we wait and get a stable release, but Steve did say two weeks.. but who knows maybe they ran into some kind of snag.

FreeState
Jan 29, 2008, 03:26 PM

Yeah and yesterday there were several posters who claimed an Apple Care phone service rep said the 29th. I don't think anyone knows for certain but the :apple:TV team.

NightStorm
Jan 29, 2008, 03:27 PM

They're probably pissed that a ton of Apple fanboys with nothing better to do have been calling them every 5 minutes asking where the update is. I don't know how they put up with it; I'd have gone off on a caller early this morning (and subsequently quit/got fired).

Hang in their Apple phone support people! You'll be free of the pointless and time consuming calls soon enough! :D

MSLonghorny
Jan 29, 2008, 03:27 PM
Yeah and yesterday there were several posters who claimed an Apple Care phone service rep said the 29th. I don't think anyone knows for certain but the :apple:TV team.

and maybe the Vatican

FreeState
Jan 29, 2008, 03:32 PM
and maybe the Vatican

or better yet in Taoist tradition: it will be ready when you are ready :cool:

Jan 29, 2008, 03:35 PM

Apple customer service and retail reps do not know about "open" release dates on things like software updates that are distributed centrally and online. Even with product releases the retail people have told me before that they know no more than we do until the day of release, and that often includes the actual date it's supposed to be released.

That being said, this doesn't mean it'll be today. It doesn't mean it'll be tomorrow, or the day after, or the day after. It just means we don't know, customer service doesn't know, and Apple won't say with certainty.

In fact, I'd rather they don't... because to project an exact date for a software upgrade is setting an expectation that may not be met. It's better to not set an expectation, or to set a low expectation and exceed it, than to set a risky expectation and fail to meet it.

Products with pricetags are a bit different because sales forecasts depend on deadlines being met... and in the case of stuff like iPhone there are other business partners (AT&T) whose sales projections depend on agreements made by the hardware supplier to meet certain deadlines.

Thing I've learned is that it doesn't pay to be holding one's breath. It's an update...it'll come. Don't get all bent out of shape.

drumpat01
Jan 29, 2008, 03:36 PM
h come on they roll out iWork updates and not appletv??? I feel jipped. Those are not going to make me feel any better.

Jan 29, 2008, 03:37 PM
or better yet in Taoist tradition: it will be ready when you are ready :cool:

Reminds me of this list (http://www.skepticfiles.org/atheist/shitlist.htm) which breaks down the world's religions by way of the old adage, "Sh-t happens!"

desenso
Jan 29, 2008, 03:50 PM
h come on they roll out iWork updates and not appletv??? I feel jipped. Those are not going to make me feel any better.

lol.

appleguy
Jan 29, 2008, 03:58 PM
Ever thought that Apple is delaying the update 5 minutes anytime someone clicks to see if there is an update..

heftylefty
Jan 29, 2008, 04:01 PM
we probably wont ever see the update if thats the case lol

the_insider
Jan 29, 2008, 04:03 PM
Ever thought that Apple is delaying the update 5 minutes anytime someone clicks to see if there is an update..

dammit apple!

FreeState
Jan 29, 2008, 04:04 PM

I better stop clicking on this link then: http://mesu.apple.com/version.xml LOL

jbomber
Jan 29, 2008, 04:05 PM

Yeah, ******* that.... I want my shiny toy to be the shiny toy it was always intended to be.

Plus I need SOMETHING to make the stock jump back up again. iWork sure as hell isn't going to cut it....

Cave Man
Jan 29, 2008, 04:06 PM
Hold you breath - the updates are starting to roll out. iWork 08 update just released...

sminman
Jan 29, 2008, 04:07 PM
I believe the update will be available at 6 p.m.

That seems to be Apple's trend with the last couple of major announcements.

Tobias9200
Jan 29, 2008, 04:07 PM
Hold you breath - the updates are starting to roll out. iWork 08 update just released...

Go read the posts above...

pghulme
Jan 29, 2008, 04:10 PM
ok then guys n girls. i have read almost every apple tv site there is, even translating some chinese sites to see if they give a clue to the update time. I have watched the keynote several times and SJ says "in just two weeks" which implies within two weeks, not two weeks 2 days. Just like many of you i have spend a lot of time checking for updates. I have taken the last 3 days of work hoping for the update, now you may say i am a little sad and there are better things to do, yes maybe. la la la , anyway APPLE WHERE IS MY UPDATE

NightStorm
Jan 29, 2008, 04:13 PM
ok then guys n girls. i have read almost every apple tv site there is, even translating some chinese sites to see if they give a clue to the update time. I have watched the keynote several times and SJ says "in just two weeks" which implies within two weeks, not two weeks 2 days. Just like many of you i have spend a lot of time checking for updates. I have taken the last 3 days of work hoping for the update, now you may say i am a little sad and there are better things to do, yes maybe. la la la , anyway APPLE WHERE IS MY UPDATE
So it is Apple's fault you can't stop checking for updates? Go read a book or something, I'm sure every tech RSS feed will announce its available the second its released. :rolleyes:

Cave Man
Jan 29, 2008, 04:13 PM
Go read the posts above...

Thanks, tobi, I can read. Let's see what else comes out this afternoon, eh?

pghulme
Jan 29, 2008, 04:16 PM
So it is Apple's fault you can't stop checking for updates? Go read a book or something, I'm sure every tech RSS feed will announce its available the second its released. :rolleyes:

yes it is APPLES fault, they have made such an awesome device, that we all want it, thts why we are all on this forum.

its like christmas for a kid. and take 2 is the moment we all get to open our presents

kagharaht
Jan 29, 2008, 04:19 PM
So someone already tried moving the clock forward 24 hours and it didn't work? :p

pghulme
Jan 29, 2008, 04:20 PM
So someone already tried moving the clock forward 24 hours and it didn't work? :p

Hmmm, couldnt find a time/date setting on the ATV, so just changed the clock on my VCR. But that didnt work either, go figure!!

bilbo--baggins
Jan 29, 2008, 04:31 PM
Hmmm, couldnt find a time/date setting on the ATV, so just changed the clock on my VCR. But that didnt work either, go figure!!

That's my number 1 feature request for the Apple TV - a clock! Since we packed away the VCR we have no idea what the time is when watching the Apple TV!

kagharaht
Jan 29, 2008, 04:32 PM
UPS man just dropped off my new xBox!!!! Waaahoooo!!!!!

LOL... better get him back, it could be DOA since the quality build is questionable with those. :rolleyes:

appleguy
Woooo Hoooooo

heftylefty
i bet when the update is released this sub-forum will be dead cuz everyone is gonna be busy watching movies lol

goodwilldrums
Jan 29, 2008, 04:33 PM
LEEERRRROOOOOYYY JEENKIIINNSS.....

I can't stop watching it....

even wikipedia?!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeroy_Jenkins

that killed some time...

appleguy
Jan 29, 2008, 04:34 PM
Woooo Hoooooo

doh it was the update to 1.1

Zneo11
Jan 29, 2008, 04:35 PM
Woooo Hoooooo

Lies I tell you.

pghulme
Jan 29, 2008, 04:35 PM
i bet when the update is released this sub-forum will be dead cuz everyone is gonna be busy watching movies lol

can you imagine how slow the download speed will be for the update, with every atv geekdowloading, APPLES bandwidth needs to be a little more than56.6kb modem

thestaton
Jan 29, 2008, 04:36 PM
I'm really excited for this update, I just wish they would include HD TV Shows.

the_insider
Jan 29, 2008, 04:37 PM

good point.

FreeState
Jan 29, 2008, 04:43 PM
can you imagine how slow the download speed will be for the update, with every atv geekdowloading, APPLES bandwidth needs to be a little more than56.6kb modem

I dont think it will be slow - there are way less AppleTV users than say OSX 10.5 - or even iWork. Add to that there are people like me who are at work but are just posting here to make the day go a little faster!:)

orme292
Jan 29, 2008, 04:44 PM
I will feel betrayed by Steve Jobs if I do not get this update tonight. Also, I will have missed a night class for no reason.

Mindflux
Jan 29, 2008, 04:45 PM
I will feel betrayed by Steve Jobs if I do not get this update tonight. Also, I will have missed a night class for no reason.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/tard.jpg

pghulme
Jan 29, 2008, 04:46 PM
im a little worried now, http://www.apple.com/uk/pr/ read the press releases, especially the jan 15th (mac expo date), whats missing?? if you are a little confused, why would apple release press releases for 3 out of the 4 events from mac expo. ANSWER -the atv update is going to pull a leopard, LATE

FreeState
Jan 29, 2008, 04:48 PM

Here is your lesson for the day then:

He said "about 2 weeks."

American Heritage Dictionary -
a·bout (ə-bout')
adv.

Approximately; nearly: The interview lasted about an hour.

Almost: The job is about done.

To a reversed position or direction: Turn about and walk away slowly.

In no particular direction: wandering about with no place to go.

All around; on every side: Let's look about for help.

In the area or vicinity; near: spoke to a few spectators standing about.

In succession; one after another: Turn about is fair play.
On the verge of; presently going to. Used with the infinitive: The chorus is about to sing.

Usage Problem Used to show determination or intention in negative constructions with an infinitive: I am not about to concede the point.
-----

Im just hoping "about" in this case means exactly LOL:)

orme292
Jan 29, 2008, 04:50 PM
Well, either way it works out in Apple's favor because whether the update comes tonight or next week I'll still buy a lot of crap from ITMS.

The betrayal already sunk in ... I'm feeling the urge to buy movies to make myself feel better.

kagharaht

LOL... I hope your just kidding. Relax, it will get here. You'll just end up blowing more money when it shows up anyway. :D

pghulme
I think you need to watch the keynote again, he never said the words ABOUT he said and i quote "in just two weeks"

He said "about 2 weeks."

a·bout (ə-bout')
adv.

On the verge of; presently going to. Used with the infinitive: The chorus is about to sing.

Usage Problem Used to show determination or intention in negative constructions with an infinitive: I am not about to concede the point.
-----

wPod
Jan 29, 2008, 04:52 PM
I think this Apple TV hysteria is happening because in a sense everyone is getting a new product, without having to buy anything.

heh, good point. . . we didnt have to pay $20 iPod Touch tax either!

no. apple is the only company cool enough. any other electronic is just worthless. . . j/k. good to see there are people that are crazy fanboys (and girls) about things other than just apple. . . . . oh yeah, and then there is that zune guy

Zneo11
Jan 29, 2008, 04:55 PM
While we are waiting... I want to be able to use my iPhone as a remote. It would be much easier to type stuff in. I guess the touch could be used as well. What do you guys think? Good Idea?

the_insider
Jan 29, 2008, 04:56 PM

He said "about 2 weeks."

a·bout (ə-bout')
adv.

-----

just watched the keynote. he said "in just two weeks"

FreeState
Jan 29, 2008, 04:58 PM
just watched the keynote. he said "in just two weeks"

Okay well my bad then:) I still think it may not come out today... but you never know...

jwa898
Jan 29, 2008, 05:00 PM
Just out of curiosity does anyone know if apple has started shipping apple tv's in the new box?

neven
Jan 29, 2008, 05:04 PM
Okay well my bad then:) I still think it may not come out today... but you never know...

I love my Apple, but c'mon, we all know how they play with dates. Steve could half-reasonably claim that "in just two weeks" means "the second week from this one" :)

the_insider
Jan 29, 2008, 05:08 PM
I love my Apple, but c'mon, we all know how they play with dates. Steve could half-reasonably claim that "in just two weeks" means "the second week from this one" :)

i like to think that the cup is half full.

:D

markoibook
Jan 29, 2008, 05:12 PM
Just a thought, as I wait here in the UK and it nears midnight....
I'm guessing that as the Apple TV "Take 1" is based on Mac OS X 10.4.7, would the new Take 2 software not be based on Leopard? I would have thought that this would make sense if only to keep things easier for Apple, especially if this product is going to be seeing updates going forward. So, what I'm wondering is whether if the new release is likely to be based on Leopard, whether we might be waiting for 10.5.2 to be released at the same time?
Out of interest, does anyone know if the new iPhone and iPod Touch updates are based on 10.4?

Nintendolinky
Jan 29, 2008, 05:21 PM
Its nearly midnight in the UK guys, it looks like it will not be coming out today, maybe Wednesday 30th, I'm really looking forward to this update, I've got a US iTunes account so cant wait to spend spend spend lol.

pghulme
Jan 29, 2008, 05:28 PM
i hope everyone is paying attention,
http://www.apple.com/uk/appletv/

no longer says coming soon, this has been updated in the last hour
maybe a sign of things to come (soon)

FreeState
Jan 29, 2008, 05:29 PM

Was that page the same as the US one before? http://www.apple.com/appletv/

heftylefty
Jan 29, 2008, 05:29 PM
oh i sure as hell hope so

bentup
Jan 29, 2008, 05:31 PM

Still says coming soon on the US side... :(

baronbuzby
Jan 29, 2008, 05:37 PM
pghulme is right - there's even a demo now!

FreeState
Jan 29, 2008, 05:39 PM

The Demo has been up on the US site since Jan 15th.

natasha69
Jan 29, 2008, 05:40 PM
ok, so let's assume that the download is available.....NOW

how big do you think it is, and how long do you think it will take to download and install with all of us pulling for it at the same time?

mwp98223
Jan 29, 2008, 05:41 PM

Was that demo up before? I saw it today for the first time, but I don't know if I wasn't looking hard enough before.

pghulme
Jan 29, 2008, 05:41 PM

if ur on the uk site, and click on features, it now shows you a guide throught the new software. including flickr and other things. if calafornia (apple hq) is 7 hrs behind UK, and if apple were to update at 6pm usa time, then i have another 1hr 20 mins to wait...

harcosparky
Jan 29, 2008, 05:43 PM

Online Apple STORE UK says " Coming Soon "

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=7B72365F&node=home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv

Online Apple STORE US also says " Coming Soon "

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=7B723645&node=home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv

Who knows? :D

Zneo11
Jan 29, 2008, 05:44 PM
IT'S HERE!!!!
IT'S HERE!!!!
IT'S HERE!!!!

My cat finally came back home after being lost for days!!!!

I hate you.

bacaramac
Jan 29, 2008, 05:45 PM
IT'S HERE!!!!
IT'S HERE!!!!
IT'S HERE!!!!

ROFLMAO. That was great.

FreeState
Jan 29, 2008, 05:45 PM
if ur on the uk site, and click on features, it now shows you a guide throught the new software. including flickr and other things. if calafornia (apple hq) is 7 hrs behind UK, and if apple were to update at 6pm usa time, then i have another 1hr 20 mins to wait...

Yep thats been on the US site since the 15th.

bentup
Jan 29, 2008, 05:46 PM

lawl... you definitely had me fumbling for the remote...

HotRodGuy
Jan 29, 2008, 05:46 PM
IT'S HERE!!!!
IT'S HERE!!!!
IT'S HERE!!!!

you ass :D

joco
Jan 29, 2008, 05:50 PM
Well I think at this point we can forget about seeing it today. I have never seen Apple release updates this late in the day.

FreeState
Jan 29, 2008, 05:59 PM
I have never seen Apple release updates this late in the day.

I have a couple times (once on a friday after I got home from work, and I live in CA). Wish I could remember what they were now... I cant recall what software it was...

kbunch
Jan 29, 2008, 06:00 PM
Your Apple TV is Going to Explode if You Check Again!

I think my :apple:TV is trying to tell me something..........

DennisVR
Jan 29, 2008, 06:02 PM
is this new ?

http://www.apple.com/appletv/guidedtour/

ssj2goha
Jan 29, 2008, 06:03 PM
Wow so i'm not the only one.

Zneo11
Jan 29, 2008, 06:03 PM
is this new ?

Negative.

heftylefty
Jan 29, 2008, 06:04 PM
is this new ?

nope been on the website for a little while

pghulme
Jan 29, 2008, 06:05 PM
is this new ?

Nope, its been on the site for a few days now,the link to it has become more apparent though, appearing on the us startpage in the last couple of hrs

andypress
Jan 29, 2008, 06:18 PM
It looks like apple locked all of the update threads in their discussion forums...

Sonicjay
Jan 29, 2008, 06:22 PM
IT'S HERE!!!!
IT'S HERE!!!!
IT'S HERE!!!!

LOL... http://www.sonicjay.com/smilies/junk.gif

FreeState
Jan 29, 2008, 06:23 PM
It looks like apple locked all of the update threads in their discussion forums...

I dont see even one locked on the Apple forum right now... in fact the first 3 deal with the update...

bacaramac
Jan 29, 2008, 06:23 PM

Why would they do this? Because of update? Someone leaking that it's happening tonight(by an apple insider)? To many people talking about it?

andypress
Jan 29, 2008, 06:24 PM
Why would they do this? Because of update? Someone leaking that it's happening tonight(by an apple insider)? To many people talking about it?

Probably too many people asking when it will be out.

jbellanca
Jan 29, 2008, 06:24 PM

I just tried replying to the top Take 2 thread over there and it worked for me...

kbunch
Jan 29, 2008, 06:39 PM
no update yet? Finally braved a post from my iPhone.

Apple Architect
Jan 29, 2008, 06:59 PM
is this new ?

Hannah's cute !!!! worth watching just for that.

macbookProSF
Jan 29, 2008, 07:02 PM
Please please an update tonight!!

quadcity007
Jan 29, 2008, 07:04 PM
Please please an update tonight!!

My money is on February 1st. It's makes financial sense. After all, we are dealing with the money-hungry entertainment industry here. A February 1st date makes sense.

Who's with me? :rolleyes:

macbookProSF
Jan 29, 2008, 07:07 PM
It is not likely that anything will happen tonight... we could email sjobs@apple.com

spyker3292
Jan 29, 2008, 07:15 PM
:( I hope it comes before the weekend but I was really hoping tonight...

themanfromvlad
Jan 29, 2008, 07:22 PM
As the starter of this thread, I can't stress enough how dissapointed I am in all of you who posted or read this thread. You all obviously didn't wish for the update enough, otherwise the powers that be in Cupertino would have been willed into releasing the update.:D

heftylefty
Jan 29, 2008, 07:48 PM
i skipped art class for the update...i dont know what else apple expects out of me!

desenso
Jan 29, 2008, 07:49 PM

All 7 of us?

spyker3292
Jan 29, 2008, 07:52 PM
^ lol, I just want it by the weekend. Maybe I'll go look at the Air tomorrow.

NightStorm
Jan 29, 2008, 07:54 PM
Main iTunes page finally updated... no mention of AppleTV update...

filmguy15
Jan 29, 2008, 07:55 PM
Now kids, what have we learned? Updates will come when they're ready. End of story. :-P Here's to tomorrow's wait! I really hope it comes tomorrow, cause I ready to throw a PILE of money at apple (I hope they realize that) for rentals...

desenso
Jan 29, 2008, 07:56 PM
i skipped art class for the update...i dont know what else apple expects out of me!

You think you have it rough? My wife gave birth about an hour ago and I missed it! "Sorry, dear," I said, "Steve said the Apple TV software update would be out in two weeks... it's not my fault you decided to give birth tonight!" Boy do I feel betrayed! And to think I was going to name the baby Steve.

MikieMikie
Jan 29, 2008, 07:58 PM
You think you have it rough? My wife gave birth about an hour ago and I missed it! "Sorry, dear," I said, "Steve said the Apple TV software update would be out in two weeks... it's not my fault you decided to give birth tonight!" Boy do I feel betrayed! And to think I was going to name the baby Steve.

LOL

sief
Jan 29, 2008, 07:58 PM
The Apple TV section of Apple.com looks like its been updated... Have I just missed it or is it all new? It looks new to me.

edit

nevermind. its the same.

ayale99
Jan 29, 2008, 08:04 PM
Well this just flat out sucks. I got all hyped up last night at midnight from people posting...got up this morning and checked, watched the forums all freaking day at work...just got home tonight and still no updates!!! It's like Christmas eve and Santa didn't come even though he said he would two weeks ago!!! Oh well, guess I'll watch another movie on the ole' atv and check tomorrow. Thats all for tonight sports fans.

Freakn' A. I love/hate Apple. But thats why they get a lot of my money. What other company can make you crazy like this?!:eek:

Curtis72
Jan 29, 2008, 08:07 PM

Bad idea.

Zneo11
Jan 29, 2008, 08:08 PM
All 7 of us?

Exactly what I was thinking.

drumpat01
Jan 29, 2008, 08:12 PM
well, I must say that this puts a damper on things. I thought for sure it would update because of the late iTunes Store update. *Sigh* oh well, I guess I have something to look forward to tomorrow then :) The question now is...

Do we do all the hype again tomorrow too??

Evolved Events
Jan 29, 2008, 08:22 PM
It's only 8:18 pm in Chicago. The temperature outside is starting to plummet, the rain has turned to snow, and the wind gusts are starting to pile the stuff up... So, I've nothing but the hope of a movie rental on my apple tv to keep me all warm and fuzzy tonight...even if it winds up being just a hope. I'm happy to join all the rest of you geeks tonight -- Keep the faith!

appleguy
Jan 29, 2008, 08:25 PM
All 7 of us?

what about those that have more than one ATV

appleguy
Jan 29, 2008, 08:27 PM
It's only 8:18 pm in Chicago. The temperature outside is starting to plummet, the rain has turned to snow, and the wind gusts are starting to pile the stuff up... So, I've nothing but the hope of a movie rental on my apple tv to keep me all warm and fuzzy tonight...even if it winds up being just a hope. I'm happy to join all the rest of you geeks tonight -- Keep the faith!

knowing your luck as soon the update is ready, you will start to download
1 of 2 things could happen
1 the Wife borrowed your credit for her weekly shopping spree and maxed it out.
or 2 there will be a powercut

jbellanca
Jan 29, 2008, 08:32 PM
All 7 of us?

+1 LOL

kbunch
Jan 29, 2008, 08:34 PM
Ok time to stop obsessively checking for updates. I have jury duty tomorrow so time to see what movies I want to rent/buy to load up on my iPhone for all the waiting around it takes to do your civic duty.

davak
Jan 29, 2008, 08:38 PM
I believe the update will be available at 6 p.m.

That seems to be Apple's trend with the last couple of major announcements.

I honestly respect your bold prediction.

However...

you fail.

desenso
Jan 29, 2008, 08:45 PM
Ok time to stop obsessively checking for updates. I have jury duty tomorrow so time to see what movies I want to rent/buy to load up on my iPhone for all the waiting around it takes to do your civic duty.

You should have told them you were a strong believer in jury nullification.

heftylefty
Jan 29, 2008, 08:53 PM

i dont think there is any excuse in the world to top missing someone being born lol

you should still name him steve

billabong
Jan 29, 2008, 09:00 PM
I was really looking forward to the update. I'm back from work, and still nothing...

Alfie
Jan 29, 2008, 09:22 PM
We're going to need some volunteers to stay up all night pressing the "Update Software" button. Any takers?

bacaramac
Jan 29, 2008, 09:25 PM
We're going to need some volunteers to stay up all night pressing the "Update Software" button. Any takers?

I will just dream about pushing the update button and see if my dreams are powerful enough to end up with the same result in the morning. NOTHING.

macbookProSF
Jan 29, 2008, 09:30 PM
I live 10 minutes from Apples corp office... if I go down there maybe I could pay respect to the great apple and ask for a wish!

an update tonight.

macbookProSF
Jan 29, 2008, 09:34 PM
I have been looking at a few different :apple: rumor website and there is no word on the update or any info that apple has not released it..

Strange no one is talking...

has anyone herd something?

KakaduDreamer
Jan 29, 2008, 09:35 PM
I live 10 minutes from Apples corp office... if I go down there maybe I could pay respect to the great apple and ask for a wish!

an update tonight.

Just kick in the front door, punch the security guard in the gut, run around like a fool until you find the IT Department, locate a big giant button on the wall labeled "RELEASE the :apple:TV Version 2.0 Update" and click it, then run like hell out of there!

macbookProSF
Jan 29, 2008, 09:40 PM
I did what you said and pushed the button, what is that in the sky in the distance....

Wrong button

NewtypeCJ
Jan 29, 2008, 09:47 PM
What'd be perfect is if we get the Take Two update + NBC back to iTunes + TV shows in high-def (start with LOST Season 4 plz.). Now that'd make for a good li'l group of announcements.

the_insider
Jan 29, 2008, 09:53 PM
common apple!!! don't tell us two weeks, when its really not!!

drumpat01
Jan 29, 2008, 09:55 PM
I still can't believe that we got iWork updates, it took all day for iTunes to update, and we STILL didn't get the update....lame!!