Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
I have a Touch, upgraded to 1.1.3

I had about 2GB of music loaded in when I started playing around with adding web apps. In all, I added 28 web apps.

However, when I then tried to add more music I found that the memory was full with 0GB available. Checking with iTunes, it showed that there was 5.65GB of memory used under the "Other" category.

The local Apple Store "Geniuses" couldn't explain the memory problem but surmised that the 28 apps I added used up the memory. I find this incredible since the wab apps are nothing more than bookmarks and the 28 apps were using 5.65GB of memory, or 200MB each!

It seems, after all, that they were right. I removed all the apps and did a system restore. That cleared the memory problem.

Just passing along the information to those of you who may be contemplating adding web apps to your Touch. Has anyone else had similar symptoms? I've written to customer support at Apple for an explanation but haven't heard back yet.

nakile

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Isn't the webpage that you make a web clip out of cached to the iPod Touch?

marykay9507

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
that seems a little strange-- since you did the restore have you tried adding any web apps?

davidy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
I have a few webclips and my "Other" memory is less than 10MB.

That's what I might have expected, however, as I said, mine was sucking up over 200MB per bookmark. How many wabapps do you have all together?

Isn't the webpage that you make a web clip out of cached to the iPod Touch?

That may be, but these are simple singel pages that are created for and sized for the iPod Touch. That's maybe 1/12 the size of a PC page and only a few KB at the most.

you are mistaking memory for disc space or in the case of the touch flash drive space.

Call it what you will, but the available memory needed to store music, pictures, videos, etc was reduced by 5.65GB by the 28 bookmarked web apps I had.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
None of this makes any logical sense. How can adding a bookmark cause 5GB of space to be eaten up? I don't think the bookmarks cache the entire pages to memory because then they'd open up instantly but, they don't.... they launch the web page and then it loads the page from the internet. Are you sure it was the webapps? You said you removed them and then restored... well, restoring will have erased the problem of the 5GB so removing the webapps didn't do anything. Did you maybe try to load a video on your iPod and have your computer crash or something where it didn't finish and got stuck in the memory but, not on the iPod's display?

davidy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
that seems a little strange-- since you did the restore have you tried adding any web apps?

I have loaded seven apps back in, five as icons on the front page and two as bookmarks only. This has added only a few KB in the "Other" memory category. It appears now that my prior problem may not have been related to the web apps, but I'm still at a loss to know what happened. The Local Apple Store has no clue and the only response I got from Apple/iTunes/IpodTouch Customer (non)Support was to find a chat group or forum and ask the question (that's why I'm here).

it is clear that you have all the answers.

Ah, Sarcasm...I love it. There's no reason to have hurt feelings just because I'm not as astute as you and use different and possibly incorrect termininology. Please, I beg of you, excuse my ignorance. I am truely so sorry that I have presented myself to you in an imperfect way. It was not my intent to try to appear more intelligent than I really am. You can be assured that from this point on, I will endeavor to research my terminology before presenting another question or comment.

Now, There's Sarcasm. (By the way, I'm a member of Mensa, are you?)

None of this makes any logical sense. How can adding a bookmark cause 5GB of space to be eaten up? I don't think the bookmarks cache the entire pages to memory because then they'd open up instantly but, they don't.... they launch the web page and then it loads the page from the internet. Are you sure it was the webapps? You said you removed them and then restored... well, restoring will have erased the problem of the 5GB so removing the webapps didn't do anything. Did you maybe try to load a video on your iPod and have your computer crash or something where it didn't finish and got stuck in the memory but, not on the iPod's display?

As mentioned above, after I did the restore I did add a few web apps and the problem has not recurred. Now that you mention videos, I did in fact have one 1 minute 28 second video clip installed. This was loaded as an experiment using a program that converts DVDs to MP4 format. I didn't consider it before but now that I think about it, that may have been the problem. It is possible that when the clip was loaded, the iPod may have actually reserved space for the entire movie, even though less that a minute and a half was loaded. However, even a full DVD isn't 6.56GB so i'm not sure that was the full problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.