Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blazer5913

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Just wondering if any of you have heard if VisualHub will be coming out with a new version of their software to allow the new implementation of 5.1 surround sound to the AppleTV? I have about 300-400gb of 720p HD mkv movies that I am just chomping at the bit to start encoding, but want to be sure to get the most out of them that I can, mainly retaining the 5.1 surround sound in them. Also, supposively the new version of AppleTV can support files bigger than 4gb? So you think VisualHub will enable this as well? Thanks guys

Edit: Emailed the VisualHub team, waiting a response...

billabong

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2004
5.1 would be very nice...

So would larger than 4GB HD files. But if not I'm still happy with the current quality.

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
It's not really up to the Visual Hub team whether 5.1 support is or isn't included. Support needs to be added first to FFmpeg.

Anyway, most of the mkvs that I've come across have 5.1 aac audio, so no need to re-encode the audio.

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
It's not really up to the Visual Hub team whether 5.1 support is or isn't included. Support needs to be added first to FFmpeg.

Anyway, most of the mkvs that I've come across have 5.1 aac audio, so no need to re-encode the audio.

Really? I haven't seen ANY with AAC... about 80% of the ones I see out there on the interweb are AC3 and 20% DTS. Are you looking more at TV shows maybe?

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
eally? I haven't seen ANY with AAC... about 80% of the ones I see out there on the interweb are AC3 and 20% DTS. Are you looking more at TV shows maybe?
I guess it just happened that the 2 I downloaded had 5.1 AAC. They weren't TV shows.

Blazer5913

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
But ones that actually have the 5.1 in the .mkv file, if I run them through VisualHub on the AppleTV setting, won't I lose the 5.1 and audio is changed to whatever the AppleTV currently supports?

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
But ones that actually have the 5.1 in the .mkv file, if I run them through VisualHub on the AppleTV setting, won't I lose the 5.1 and audio is changed to whatever the AppleTV currently supports?

Both AC3 and AAC can be 5.1. Yes, running any file through VisualHub will produce a proper file for AppleTV, but you will lose the 5.1 sound. Now, there seems to be an open question as to whether or not VisualHub will downmix AC3 into Dolby Pro Logic II or not... which also isn't 5.1 either, but it's way better than just plain stereo. I found one post on their support forums that says that it does, but that's it. (Maybe someone could test this? Anyone know?) AFAIK, the only way to get true 5.1 (right now, 3:22pm EST Tuesday 1/29) on v1.1 of the ATV software - without hacking - is... well, you can't. Keep reading on the forums when v2 is released though...

SignusMedia

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
Visual Hub to support 5.1 audio?

AFAIK, the only way to get true 5.1 (right now, 3:22pm EST Tuesday 1/29) on v1.1 of the ATV software - without hacking - is... well, you can't. Keep reading on the forums when v2 is released though...

I'ts possible to create good ProLogic II streams, however I haven't found any way to do it completely on OSX, have to resort to XP to use BeSweet. I've gotten both AC3 and DTS converted, but the process is so tedious I've decided to wait till VH 2.0 comes out. There have been requests to at least output ProLogic II on the down sampling, all they will say is that they down sample to surround sound. But neither solution is 5.1 digital.

Bottom line: if Apple modifies the MP4 container to allow AC3 as an authorized audio channel, all we need is an update to mp4box that allows it and we can mux our own.

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Bottom line: if Apple modifies the MP4 container to allow AC3 as an authorized audio channel, all we need is an update to mp4box that allows it and we can mux our own.

Apple generally likes open standards (generally... ;-) so they may opt to go with support .mp4 as it exists plus .mov with AC3/AAC to keep to the standard. Who knows, all speculation at this point, except to the developers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.