PDA

View Full Version : Managing Apple TV Content

PearlMikeJam
Jan 29, 2008, 08:58 AM
I am considering getting an Apple TV after the recent movie rental announcement. From what I recall when Apple TV was introduced, music and movies can only be synced to the Apple TV. You cannot manually manage the content. Is that still true?

I am looking to use the Apple TV to host/store music from three different iTunes libraries. Each library is on a separate computer. The computers are not always present or on where the music can be streamed. Can I combine the different libraries on the Apple TV without moving all of the music to one computer? I do not really have the drive space for this?

Thanks in advance.

spice weasel
Jan 29, 2008, 09:06 AM
You can either sync or stream both movies and music. The only thing that must be synced are photos. You can manually manage whichever movies you like. The options for manually managing music, on the other hand, are a bit more limited. You can either sync your entire library or selected playlists. There is no way to sync only certain artists/albums unless you use playlists.

You can sync up to 5 iTunes libraries with your ATV. Get the 160 gig model and you will have plenty of space to sync each of your iTunes libraries.

BaldiMac
Jan 29, 2008, 02:11 PM
You can either sync or stream both movies and music. The only thing that must be synced are photos. You can manually manage whichever movies you like. The options for manually managing music, on the other hand, are a bit more limited. You can either sync your entire library or selected playlists. There is no way to sync only certain artists/albums unless you use playlists.

You can sync up to 5 iTunes libraries with your ATV. Get the 160 gig model and you will have plenty of space to sync each of your iTunes libraries.

Most of this information is incorrect. You can sync or stream photos. You can only sync with 1 iTunes library. You can stream from 5.

In answer to the original question. You can only sync from one library, so there is no official way to copy content from multiple libraries to one apple tv.

FreeState
Jan 29, 2008, 02:30 PM
You can only sync from one library, so there is no official way to copy content from multiple libraries to one apple tv.

Unless it is a rental - same holds true for iPhone and iPods - you can transfer a rented movie to any of them with the device being synced to a different library.