PDA

View Full Version : G3 600 MHz upgrade to OS 10.3 - I'm stuck

erf66
Jan 29, 2008, 09:46 AM
I've been researching for a while now, and should be able to pull this off. As I understand, in theory I can run OS 10.3 just fine on my graphite iMac, 600 MHz, 40 GB, but I have to upgrade the firmware, from OS 9 first, then and only then install OS 10.3: BUT...
this computer came with OS 9 and OS 10.1 About a year ago I made the big step off the cliff and went from OS 9 to "startup disk OS X" in order to get online (dial up net provider didn't support OS 9; after all that, still couldn't get online - can't read install disc...).

Here's my problem - can't get there from here: in OS X, under the apple "system preferences" is bold, but when I select it nothing happens - so I can't get back to boot on OS 9. In Classic mode, it tells me to go to OS X to change system prefs... I can't see what firmware version I have, so I'm afraid to upgrade to OS 10.3. Does anyone know how else to check the firmware version, or if the two-system Macs already had version 4.1.9 on them?
At the end of the day I have all the original install discs, OS 9.2 , OS 10.1 and system restore dics it came with. Once I move some files to a jump stick I have nothing irreplaceable on this iMac. Can I reformat to OS 9 from the original discs, update thefirmware, and jump directly to OS 10.3 from there? I currently have cable internet through Classic, so I could maybe get some updates, but I might loose the settings if I reformat?
:confused:

Any and all ideas are most welcome

WildCowboy
Jan 29, 2008, 02:51 PM
I'm confused about the firmware update...that machine should be able to run Panther just fine as is. :confused:

Consultant
Jan 29, 2008, 04:09 PM
I'm confused about the firmware update...that machine should be able to run Panther just fine as is. :confused:

Very old macs need firmware updates to work with OS X.

----------------------

Before you erase, try:

Reboot or turn on your mac while holding the OPTION key. Normally that allows you to choose a boot system.

Get a new PRAM battery, something like this:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/BAA36VPRAM/
(heh that'll cost about 10% to 20% of your computer value)...

----------------------

Otherwise, boot using OS 9 disk. Format drive, and install. Boot into the harddrive, eject the OS 9 cd, do updates, and do firmware update.

Once firmware update is done, you should be able to boot using OS X disks and install. (Depend on the version of OS 9, there is a small chance you might need to format the drive again to intall OS X.)

aross99
Jan 29, 2008, 04:17 PM
How about booting off of your OS 9.2 disk, and selecting the startup disk from the control panel in OS 9 (Wow that seems like a long time ago...).

Then reboot, and I think it will boot in OS 9 from your hard drive. Then run the firmware updater from OS 9, and then try installing Panther (OS X 10.3). If that fails, then a full install of OS 9 (backup your stuff first - including the updater) should work.

If you don't care about the stuff on youir Mac, a clean install of OS X 10.3 would definately be best.

I can't remember how you check to see what version of firmware you have. The updater will probably tell you. You may be able to see it in the System Profiler in OS X (under the Apple menu - About this Mac, and click "more information")

So are you actually running OS X 10.1?

WildCowboy
Jan 29, 2008, 04:43 PM
Very old macs need firmware updates to work with OS X.

I know, but I thought that machine was new enough that it shouldn't require it. But I was wrong...looks like all of the CRT iMac models are subject to the firmware upgrade requirement.

I believe under 10.1, the firmware version could be found in Apple System Profiler --> System Profile --> Production Information

erf66
Jan 30, 2008, 09:49 AM
Got it!
I used the OS 9 system disc that came with the computer to boot into OS 9.2 (duh, don't know why I didn't think of that months ago) and reset to start up in OS 9... Still couldn't find the firmware version, but got online, downloaded the updater and it happily got "update sucessful" on the first attempt :D
What a relief! I read enough on the horrors of updating to Tiger or Jaguar or whatever without the firmware update first...

This machine ran, awkwardly, on the OS 10.1 it came with (it was delivered new running OS 9.2 with option to activate 10.1)... The 10.1 seemed incomplete - as in the Apple menu for instance was only half functional - and I could never connect online in OS 10 to update, because by the time I made the switch the net providers I had only supported 10.3 or higher (dialup on a Pentium III Dell desktop - yes I like dinosaurs).

I am now working on securing a full install set for OS 10.3.
Can I install directly from OS 9.2, or do I have to step up to 10.1 and then 10.3? I'm expecting the OS 9.2 will remain present in full - not just as a shell running off OS 10, if I understand Classic correctly? I have tons of memory, there's barely a dent in my 40 GB.
With the upgrade I expect to be able to use my lovely new photo printer, ipod Classic, and gee, surf online too... Living the life!

Thank you for your many helpful replies.

velocityg4
Jan 30, 2008, 10:13 AM
Got it!
I used the OS 9 system disc that came with the computer to boot into OS 9.2 (duh, don't know why I didn't think of that months ago) and reset to start up in OS 9... Still couldn't find the firmware version, but got online, downloaded the updater and it happily got "update sucessful" on the first attempt :D
What a relief! I read enough on the horrors of updating to Tiger or Jaguar or whatever without the firmware update first...

This machine ran, awkwardly, on the OS 10.1 it came with (it was delivered new running OS 9.2 with option to activate 10.1)... The 10.1 seemed incomplete - as in the Apple menu for instance was only half functional - and I could never connect online in OS 10 to update, because by the time I made the switch the net providers I had only supported 10.3 or higher (dialup on a Pentium III Dell desktop - yes I like dinosaurs).

I am now working on securing a full install set for OS 10.3.
Can I install directly from OS 9.2, or do I have to step up to 10.1 and then 10.3? I'm expecting the OS 9.2 will remain present in full - not just as a shell running off OS 10, if I understand Classic correctly? I have tons of memory, there's barely a dent in my 40 GB.
With the upgrade I expect to be able to use my lovely new photo printer, ipod Classic, and gee, surf online too... Living the life!

Thank you for your many helpful replies.

After you have your firmware update installed you can install OS 10.3 directly by booting off the CD. Now as for your options on installing I am assuming by this post you want to keep OS 9. I would perform a clean install, but first I would partition the hard drive in disk utility in the OS 10 installer. The first partition I would have for OS 10.3 and the second for 9.2 since Mac OS 9 never seemed to like being installed on the same partition as 10. If you just want OS 10.3 then format and do a clean install.

erf66
Jan 30, 2008, 11:11 AM
From your message, and the way Macs usually handle things, it sounds like the OS X installer will automatically set the correct size of the partition, and leave the existing OS 9.2 right there - or will I need to reinstall 9.2 in the new partition?

(Having spent, predicably, days, nay weeks, working on optimising the Dell I keep feeling like I'm missing something critical and obvious when working on the Mac)

Thanks again!

ickystay
Jan 30, 2008, 04:07 PM
I installed OS9 and OSX on my eMac, Pismo, and iMac G3 without any partitions. They seem to live together fine.

P.S. Congrads on getting things sorted out!

Consultant
Jan 30, 2008, 04:14 PM
Congrats.

You can install 10.3 directly, as each major version of OSX is independent from other versions. 9.2 will be retained, no need to reinstall again. By the way the install of OS X is pretty simple, once it starts, you can walk away, when you come back it'll be done (unlike the OTHER os wannabe).

OS 9 and X works fine on same partition.

If you can't find 10.3 CDs, PM me.