Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Voodoo PC has released a Athlon 64 laptop. the Envy M:855 features AMD Athlon 64 up to 3200+, 64MB ATI Mobility 9600, up to 80GB HD, 15" SXGA, approx 3+ hrs battery life, about 8 pounds with battery, and the dimensions are 13"(W) X 11"(D) X 1.7"(H). it also uses DDR 400 RAM and has a 2x DVD burner.

of course the Athlon 64 has to either boot into 64 or 32-bit mode (unless i've got my facts mixed up?) but that's an awesome PC, i'd definitely go Alienware of Voodoo if i had to get a PC laptop.

even thought the PowerBooks are alot slimmer, nicer than PC equivalents, could 64-bit laptops like this take over from the PowerBook market? of course i'd go a Mac any day, but it seems like the poor old G4, and thus PowerBook, is falling behind... :( (and they just 'updated' the PowerBooks! :eek:)

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
You'd almost have to be insane to buy that laptop. The only reason you would, is just to say you have a 64 bit laptop. There is really no market for it. It seems to be targeted towards gamers, but I think they'd prefer desktops...

It would also help if they showed a real picture of this thing. They're probably hiding it because it's butt ugly.

And something about that 3+ hours of battery life makes Apple's claims look closer to real...

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
It's big and heavy, but if you think about it, a lot of gamers will not be carrying it all around campus and such, so carrying a 2" thick 8 lbs. laptop to LAN parties isn't that big of a deal to them. A lot easier than a full sized tower, for sure.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
I think it's just a "desknote" - a notebook PC with a desktop chip, not a real laptop chip, so it'll probably get hot, have lousy battery life, etc.

It'll be a long time before AMD makes a 64-bit notebook chip.

Anyway 64-bit in the Windows world has some real problems. It's going to be forever until they get an installed base of 64-bit operating systems and software. AMD just isn't big enough to push the market to 64-bit.

I think Apple and Linux will have a lot of success with 64-bit though, and maybe 64-bit dual CPU Linux systems and XServes will be the new enterprise severs. (Let's hope!)

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Unix has had 64-bit versions for a long time now, can't you just install a 64-bit Unix/Linux and take advantage of the Athlon 64 right now?

Sure absolutely. Well, practically installing Linux on laptops can get a little hairy, but it's technically possible.

Like I said, I think Linux on the Athlon 64 will be a big hit. Windows XP on Athlon 64, well maybe, but it's an uphill battle.

jonapete2001

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
Re: Voodoo 64-bit laptop.

Originally posted by cb911
Voodoo PC has released a Athlon 64 laptop. the Envy M:855 features AMD Athlon 64 up to 3200+, 64MB ATI Mobility 9600, up to 80GB HD, 15" SXGA, approx 3+ hrs battery life, about 8 pounds with battery, and the dimensions are 13"(W) X 11"(D) X 1.7"(H). it also uses DDR 400 RAM and has a 2x DVD burner.

of course the Athlon 64 has to either boot into 64 or 32-bit mode (unless i've got my facts mixed up?) but that's an awesome PC, i'd definitely go Alienware of Voodoo if i had to get a PC laptop.

even thought the PowerBooks are alot slimmer, nicer than PC equivalents, could 64-bit laptops like this take over from the PowerBook market? of course i'd go a Mac any day, but it seems like the poor old G4, and thus PowerBook, is falling behind... :( (and they just 'updated' the PowerBooks! :eek:)

you do have it wrong the amd 64 does not need to be booted into 64 or 32 bit mode. It is pretty much just like the g5 it has built in 32 bit support while in 64 bit mode.

Also AMD has already anounced a 64 bit laptop chip and windows 64 bit is do out in 2004.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.