Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
i am waiting for the new iBooks. unfortunately, not even rumors regarding new iBooks are being whispered.

any chance they will at least be quietly launched simultaneously with Panther?

Arn? Is there any hope?

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
I'm waiting to see what's new with iBooks but I have little hope are reason to think there are any changes soon. I don't expect any iBook upgrades until the PB has a different chip. Seems kind of pointless to speedbump the G3s, it will just lower battery time, and increase heat.

However I wish they could put better gfx and support for higher res in the iBooks, especially the 14"

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
hmm....interesting. I am indeed waiting for new iBooks and a design change would be very nice. It seems there arent that many rumors regarding the iBooks. I hope they dont drop the ball like they did on the 15" Powerbook.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
I'm looking forward to a faster ibook. I'm fine with the design right now but it could probably be faster. But some people are saying an ibook upgrade would only come after a PowerBook upgrade (perhaps when it becomes G5 :D ). Who knows when that will be. Hopefully it won't take too long, although it might be something like a year later.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
We can only conjecture what the update might be. But many of us expect an update in November.

So let's go ahead! Both sizes will be replaced with a 13" widescreen case, with 1GHz 750GX IBM G3 processor, GeForce 5200 graphics, Airport Extreme. Base RAM 256MB across the line. The case will be spiffed up with a little bit of chrome here and there. The keyboard will be stiffer and not openable. And most-awaited of all, the ethernet connector will be more rugged, with a little extender cable to reduce direct insertions.

Good model will have CD-RW, better model will have Combo drive and Bluetooth.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
We can only conjecture what the update might be. But many of us expect an update in November.

So let's go ahead! Both sizes will be replaced with a 13" widescreen case, with 1GHz 750GX IBM G3 processor, GeForce 5200 graphics, Airport Extreme. Base RAM 256MB across the line. The case will be spiffed up with a little bit of chrome here and there. The keyboard will be stiffer and not openable. And most-awaited of all, the ethernet connector will be more rugged, with a little extender cable to reduce direct insertions.

Good model will have CD-RW, better model will have Combo drive and Bluetooth
Now thats what im talking about!!!

jonapete2001

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
I am waiting for the new ibooks. I am a windows cant wait to switch. My brother has a ibook now and i love it. I use his alot when i am sick of windows(always). I am looking for something in that price range but want it to be more powerfull. I am hoping that they release this mythical gobi chip with the altivec enabled to the ibook. I know many say that this would make the g3 ibook more powerfull than the power book but maybe they need to fix the powerbook instead of hampering the ibook(just a thought) untill the release an ibook with altivec i will wait. also many people will say just fork over the extra cash and get a 12 inch power book. I like the ibook design over the powerbook any way. oh well, hopefully my switch experience will come sooner rather than latter.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
I'm probably right in thinking that the G4 iBook will only come after the G5 PB comes out... sigh. At least that's what everyone says. So I am looking forward to the G5 PB even though the chances that I'll get one is slim.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I predict a 1-1.1 ghz G3, Airport Extreme, Internal bluetooth, better graphics (Radeon 9000 with 32 MB?) and that's about it. Otherwise it starts stepping on the 12" PB's toes.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
You got your wish, iBook g4's are here:

1GHz PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache (at 1GHz)
14-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 memory
60GB Ultra ATA drive
DVD/CD-RW drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB video memory
56K internal modem
AirPort Extreme ready

(14 inch)

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Yeah this is awesome. Hopefully this means an update to PB is coming sometime in the near future (hopefully). It would be nice though if at least the upper model had SuperDrive as an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.