PDA

View Full Version : Preforma 575 will not mount floppy

tlilley
Oct 20, 2003, 11:00 AM
Hello,
I'm helping a friend with his Mac Preforma 575. His floppy stopped working. I know it's an older mac but, he's trying to get the floppy to be recognized by the OS.
I have changed out the floppy with 3 different drives and it still will not see the floppy if I put a disk in. Occasionally, I'll get a pop up window that will say the disk isn't a usable disk and if I would like to format. It does this with or without a floppy in the drive. I checked all connections to the drive and they seem to be ok. Iím at a loss here. Anyone else here have this problem or could you point me in a direction to another board with support for older macs?
Thanks in advance.
Todd

bousozoku
Oct 20, 2003, 01:17 PM
If you're not using a Macintosh Super(disk/drive/whatever the name is) in the Performa, you're going to have trouble reading 400K and 800K diskettes.

Macintosh drives at those capacities use Group Coded Recording, which slows the drive as it reaches the inner tracks to give constant access speed.

These same drives can read and write 720K PC/Atari ST diskettes and 1.44M, as well but you cannot just substitute a PC drive and expect it to read Macintosh diskettes.

tlilley
Oct 20, 2003, 02:00 PM
Thanks for your reply.
Every drive I swapped out was a functional apple floppy. Is there a jumper or anything I can check? I just don't know where to look at this point.
Thanks,
Todd

applemacdude
Oct 20, 2003, 02:48 PM
It might be the floppy cable taht connects to the motherboard you migh want to try to repalce that