Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strieck

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Yakima, WA
I'm having trouble getting my Mac Pro (quad 2.66) to recognize my Panasonic PV-GS200. The connection has been pretty spotty since I got the Mac Pro in Sept 2006, but I had always been able to get it to work after a few attempts. Now it won't connect at all under 10.4.11 or 10.5.1. I've tried both of the Firewire 400 ports, which I know are functioning because I'm able to connect a Firewire hard drive to both. I've also tried resetting the SMC. I know it's not a problem with the camera or cable because it connects fine to my 12" PowerBook running 10.3.9.

My work-around has been to capture footage on my PowerBook and transfer it to my Mac Pro, but this is obviously not a very efficient workflow. I've found a few references on the web to this problem with this camera and the Mac Pro, but there are few solutions and none that have worked for me. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... The connection has been pretty spotty since I got the Mac Pro in Sept 2006, but I had always been able to get it to work after a few attempts. Now it won't connect at all under 10.4.11 or 10.5.1. ...
Did you read your own post? There have been connection issues between your camcorder and your Mac Pro for a while now. There exists a problem with either the camcorder, computer, FireWire cable, or a combination of the three. You need to test each to isolate the problem.

strieck

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Yakima, WA
Did you read your own post? There have been connection issues between your camcorder and your Mac Pro for a while now. There exists a problem with either the camcorder, computer, FireWire cable, or a combination of the three. You need to test each to isolate the problem.

As I stated in my original post, I've tested all of the Mac Pro's FireWire ports, and they are functional. I've tested the cable and camera on another mac, and they are functional. Unfortunately, I don't have anything else that requires a 4-pin to 6-pin firewire cable, so I can't test the cable with another piece of hardware. But would a FireWire cable work with one computer and not another?

I'm starting to think this is an issue with the FireWire drivers. I've found a number of references to FireWire device problems with intel macs.

UPDATE: I just booted into Windows XP on my Mac Pro, and the camcorder is recognized using the same FireWire cable. So this is definitely a mac software issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.