Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
I'm still banging away/around/on my site:

http://www.customartco.com

Someday... I'll get it done. Anyway, I'm just starting to learn about cascading style sheets, using some pre-built stuff for another site I'm working on offline. I can't believe I've waited this long to dig into CSS -- very cool! Here's the point: I'd like to rebuild the Custom Art Co. site using CSS, but I'm wondering if there's a Visual Quickstart Guide or similar WYSIWYG sorta reference that someone could recommend.

Thanks for lookin'!

-mangoman the procrastinator

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
awesome site! you blend the art in seamlessly and still keep things easy and simple. i'm not really sure what you mean about a WYSIWYG guide to css, there's really no way to go about it other than just jumping into the code. at the risk of sounding like a broken record, i'll recomend w3schools as they have great tutorials on everything you need (including css2). their tutorial is very straight-forward and if you already know about web-design, it shouldn't take you more than a few hours to get control of the basics.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
awesome site! you blend the art in seamlessly and still keep things easy and simple. i'm not really sure what you mean about a WYSIWYG guide to css, there's really no way to go about it other than just jumping into the code. at the risk of sounding like a broken record, i'll recomend w3schools as they have great tutorials on everything you need (including css2). their tutorial is very straight-forward and if you already know about web-design, it shouldn't take you more than a few hours to get control of the basics.

Thanks, man! At a glance, it looks like the info is free... Very cool. Again, thanks!

Codemonkey

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2002
Edmonton
Originally posted by mangoman
I was just browsing that book at http://www.peachpit.com. Thanks Rower!

Get it - easily the best resource I have on my desk about CSS.

And yes - sign up for the css-d list... it's high traffic, but very low signal:noise. I actually have had to unsub due to the high volumes of quality messages I was compelled to read ... habitually... :p

And +1: awesome site. Yer a talented bloke.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Ha, I unsubbed yesterday for the same reason. The archives will be sufficient for any specific issues I have and the wiki is a great resource, too.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Thanks, codemonkey. I'll be buying that book tonight -- subbing to that good info, too.

Thanks again, all.

carrington

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2003
Standing right behind you
Just a note (hopefully not too off topic), the customartco.com site is totally broken for me. I use both Safari and Camino under Mac OS X 10.2.8, with Javascript enabled but Java disabled on both. Most of the links on the site do nothing, so perhaps it's a Java-heavy site? But I tried it with IE, the browser I keep around with everything turned on (it's my "crash" browser) and the site didn't work for me there either.

Maybe you happened to be doing some work on the site tonight, but I thought I should toss in this info in case you hadn't tested the site under those browser setups and had assumed it was functional. What I could see of the site looked really fantastic, so I'd love to see the site working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.