PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro hard drive

FastMan
Jan 30, 2008, 09:32 PM
I'm setting up my new Mac Pro octo 2.8 for video editing. I have my RAM, but I'm struggling with the hard drive decision process. My plan is to (for the time being) add one additional hard drive to the stock 350 that comes with the rig, then more later after need rises and prices drop.

I'm perplexed on which drive to go with. I'd like to go with a 1tb, but there don't seem to be any clear leaders. Each seem to have their individual attributes and shortcomings, and much inconsistency in the published comparison tests. So I'm left uncertain about which to buy.

Thought it would be a good idea to ask you guys who are doing with your rigs the same I will be what your thoughts on the subject are. Perhaps some of you already have your new MP's and could provide some feedback on what you purchased, and how it's working for you?

And do you think 1300 gb's is enough for a starting point?

Thanks in advance. :)

LethalWolfe
Jan 30, 2008, 09:47 PM
And do you think 1300 gb's is enough for a starting point?
Well it depend on how much media you are working with and what kind of media you are working with. If you have a few hours of DV/HDV tapes you are going to cut into a movie a 1TB drive is way more than enough. If you have 30 hours of DVCro HD 720p60 footage then a 1TB drive is going to come up short.

Lethal

Everythingisnt
Jan 30, 2008, 09:55 PM
As lethal already stated, alot of your choices will be dependent on what you want to do with your machine. If you are working with a max of 8 hours uncut/uncompressed HD, then 1.3TB should juuuuuuust be workable. If the scale of your projects is going to be smaller, then 1.3TB will be fine as a starting point. One good way to deal with data buildup is to backup your movie files on external harddrives and then delete them from your internal system to save space. Of course, in your situation that may not be ideal.