Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zblaxberg

Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
I'm considering getting an ipod touch however it would be useless unless I can get the free wifi from a college campus. Is there a way to connect through our cisco vpn client?

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
there is a von settings bit on the touch under network settings.

when you turn it on it presents two tabs L2TP or PPTP

Server
Account
RSA SecurID (on or off option)
Password (turning RSA on gets rid of this option)
secret (turns into encryption Level when under PPTP)
send all traffic (default is set to on)

hope this is enough info for you to go with the plundge and get a touch ;)

zblaxberg

Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
awesome...I've asked people that have the touch but of course they don't know what a vpn is...

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
awesome...I've asked people that have the touch but of course they don't know what a vpn is...

I'm in the same boat (wanting to use an ipod Touch at my university), but I have not heard anything promising about this. It's my understanding the iPt can now do VPN, but not Cisco VPN:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305723

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1356526&tstart=60

At my university you must use Cisco's VPN client software to access WIFI. There is such a client for my mac, but none for the iPt that I'm aware of.

I'd love to be proven wrong about this!

basconcio

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
I use vpn with my ipt at my university and it works pretty well!
I live in Portugal. Now I have 1.1.3 with the new software, but already worked with 1.1.1 jailbroke

basconcio

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
I don´t think so...
this information is on the university website

Public access VLAN
The eduroam-guest/WiFi_IST VLAN
The public and broadcasted eduroam-guest/WiFi_IST SSID provides free access to a open VLAN that enable users to reach the gateway of the wireless network (wifi.ist.utl.pt). Users in this VLAN get private IP addresses in the range 10.1.0.1 to 10.1.7.249.
While this SSID provides open, non authenticated wireless access to the local gateway, routing of packets to other IST and Internet sites is blocked. Moreover, any Web access attempt to external sites is redirected to a local site in the gateway (http://wifi.ist.utl.pt/index_auth.php) where configuration instructions and other useful information about wireless access is provided.

Users of this public VLAN may also use the legacy VPN authentication access method in order to obtain access to the Internet. By establishing a PPTP VPN connection with the gateway, using the Central Authentication Service (Fenix) credentials, free access to the Internet is provided. This access method, only available to local IST users, provides user authentication and data encryption. Users are however warned that this access method is kept only for compatibility purposes and that it will be canceled in the nearby future. Therefore, all users are strongly encouraged to adopt the 802.1X access method on the (hidden) eduroam/e-U.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
I don´t think so...
this information is on the university website

Public access VLAN
The eduroam-guest/WiFi_IST VLAN
The public and broadcasted eduroam-guest/WiFi_IST SSID provides free access to a open VLAN that enable users to reach the gateway of the wireless network (wifi.ist.utl.pt). Users in this VLAN get private IP addresses in the range 10.1.0.1 to 10.1.7.249.
While this SSID provides open, non authenticated wireless access to the local gateway, routing of packets to other IST and Internet sites is blocked. Moreover, any Web access attempt to external sites is redirected to a local site in the gateway (http://wifi.ist.utl.pt/index_auth.php) where configuration instructions and other useful information about wireless access is provided.

Users of this public VLAN may also use the legacy VPN authentication access method in order to obtain access to the Internet. By establishing a PPTP VPN connection with the gateway, using the Central Authentication Service (Fenix) credentials, free access to the Internet is provided. This access method, only available to local IST users, provides user authentication and data encryption. Users are however warned that this access method is kept only for compatibility purposes and that it will be canceled in the nearby future. Therefore, all users are strongly encouraged to adopt the 802.1X access method on the (hidden) eduroam/e-U.

Umm... I have no idea what that means or how it relates to Cisco VPN. :eek:

Translation?

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
Update

Today I learned that my university does have one method for the iPt to access the wifi network, even though we use Cisco VPN. There is a "webvpn" login that will give you access to the internet. A friend showed me today on her iPt, but she said she has to login to that page for every different site she visits...

Obviously a true Cisco software client would work much better on the touch, but maybe this is an option at your university too?

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
Today I learned that my university does have one method for the iPt to access the wifi network, even though we use Cisco VPN. There is a "webvpn" login that will give you access to the internet. A friend showed me today on her iPt, but she said she has to login to that page for every different site she visits...

Obviously a true Cisco software client would work much better on the touch, but maybe this is an option at your university too?

Personally at my U they just use a standard VPN...no Cisco networking required.

plarry

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
this is a free vpn app on the appstore. here is the link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vpn-express-best-mobile-vpn/id375584677?mt=8 i use it all the time but sometimes the servers are down so that sucks but otherwise it's great to get past ip blocks and stuff

The fact that the servers are often down is the smallest issue with thie "app";).
Man, we're talking security/privacy here. For me at least, that's heavy! Believe me (or not ;) ), 6 bucks a month for a top-notch VPN sevice is really no big deall unless you really hurting ;).

Plus look how complicated it is to configure: http://1vpn4mac.com/hma-vpn-for-iphone-ipad/

Just my 2 cents, don't go with free VPNs, don't go with the more expensive ones either, except if you have a (good reason) to do so, of course. The one linked above offers a 30-day money back guarantee (unless you use 500TB bandwith during the "trial period" which would suggest that you were... somewhat satisfied...). Seriously, the limit is not 500TB, of course. Check their TOS. Don't remember exactly but quite comfotable to give the service a good try!

Take care!

Pierre

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.