PDA

View Full Version : iTunes surpasses RealPlayer

MacBytes
Jan 31, 2008, 11:00 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Software
Link: iTunes surpasses RealPlayer (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080131120041)
Description:: Only Windows Media Player used by more...

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

thecritix
Jan 31, 2008, 11:37 AM
I'm shocked!
I can't believe that Realplayer was or has been higher since maybe 2003?!
I don't know anyone who uses that Junk.

Or worse media player, theres a piece of crap!

pondie84
Jan 31, 2008, 11:46 AM
I haven't used Realplayer in probably about 5 years. Itunes isn't great (and I probably wouldn't use it if it weren't for the iPod) but Realplayer? Yuck.

sunfast
Jan 31, 2008, 11:46 AM
I'd be surprised if many people use Real by choice - it's often foisted on you pre-installed on some pcs or required for some streaming media.

Passante
Jan 31, 2008, 11:53 AM
Who uses real player?????

samh004
Jan 31, 2008, 11:53 AM
I'm shocked!
I can't believe that Realplayer was or has been higher since maybe 2003?!
I don't know anyone who uses that Junk.

Or worse media player, theres a piece of crap!

(Windows) Media Player is installed by default on all machines (except in the EU) so they'll always have a larger market share.

I'd be surprised if many people use Real by choice - it's often foisted on you pre-installed on some pcs or required for some streaming media.

I thought the first version of the BBC iPlayer was in a Real format, so perhaps that could explain for some usage.

Either way, wow. And as for that Amazon note at the bottom, they use MP3's don't they, so any (not sure if real supports it) player would work, but it certainly wouldn't be a disadvantage to iTunes.

sunfast
Jan 31, 2008, 11:58 AM
You can choose to stream BBC website content by either Real or Windows Media. grrrrr

At least iPlayer doesn't need them

AlphaBob
Jan 31, 2008, 12:05 PM
I can only guess, but I suspect that the RealPlayer figures have been including those users that subscribe to Rhapsody, like myself.

Unlike iTunes (a better program to play and manage the library, in my opinion), the Rhapsody solution allows you to download unlimited content to compatible players (non-iPod) as long as you keep refreshing the device once a month (to renew the license).

I use Rhapsody to try new music out. If I don't like it, no harm, no foul. If I like it then I buy it (typically on CD -- the price for iTunes is rarely competitive), rip it and put it on my iPod Touch.

Our one account is what I use to feed the kids mp3 players -- their appetite for music is much larger than mine. Given the crap they listen too, I can't expect it would make sense to buy a copy to keep.

motulist
Jan 31, 2008, 12:08 PM
I'm sure the Real Player was only so common for so long because it probably came pre-installed on most MS Windows PCs.

maxrobertson
Jan 31, 2008, 12:11 PM
Yeah, that's really surprising. I've never met anyone that uses RealPlayer. They use WMP, iTunes or WinAmp.

e-coli
Jan 31, 2008, 12:17 PM
How did this not happen like 5 years ago?

clevin
Jan 31, 2008, 12:25 PM
I'm sure the Real Player was only so common for so long because it probably came pre-installed on most MS Windows PCs.
not true, I never seen any pc with real player pre-installed.

Nermal
Jan 31, 2008, 12:26 PM
Somewhat ironically, I had to use RealPlayer to watch the Macworld keynote because QuickTime kept stuttering. I can't be the only person that uses RealPlayer instead of QuickTime's bad (although it's certainly improved) attempts at streaming.

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not true, you know :)
I've seen it first-hand.

pondie84
Jan 31, 2008, 12:29 PM

My PC came with realplayer installed.

clevin
Jan 31, 2008, 12:51 PM
Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not true, you know :)
I've seen it first-hand.

indeed, does that make
a true statement then?

may I ask what brand of pc you have?

AFAIK, I have gone through quite a few brands, SONY VAIO, Acer Aspire, Acer desktop, Compaq Laptop, HP laptop/Desktop. I didn't see any of them has realplayer preinstalled.

Orng
Jan 31, 2008, 01:10 PM
Most people I've spoken to on the subject, even the less computer-savvy, wouldn't install RealPlayer on a bet.

The ones with computer know-how will cite a litany of spyware complaints and impossible-to-uninstall (on PC) stories. The ones with less know-how will have a vague sense that RealPlayer = bad and will hesitate to install it. Myself, a few years back I emailed BBC and told them that I regret that I have to live without their video content, I'm disappointed that they won't supply a format that can be played in different players, but I simply won't install RealPlayer, ever, no matter how compelling their video clip sounds.

I've been very happy with iTunes though.

clevin
Jan 31, 2008, 01:19 PM
The ones with computer know-how will cite a litany of spyware complaints and impossible-to-uninstall (on PC) stories.

uninstall is fine, standard process.

But installation is ugly, it asks users to register, that process is quite unfriendly.

Im not happy with iTunes on PC, its slow and resource hog.

Lord Sam
Jan 31, 2008, 01:37 PM
Was coming. I'm surprised it hasn't happened earlier.

OllyW
Jan 31, 2008, 01:48 PM
I have to use it for watching video reports on the BBC news website.

It works well enough so I've no problem in using it.

motulist
Jan 31, 2008, 01:50 PM

a true statement then?

Don't be such a literalist, the meaning of a phrase in context is often different than the exact literally definition of its words letter by letter. I think it was fairly obvious that I didn't literally mean 'most' windows PCs as in 51% or greater, I think it's pretty clear that I meant 'more than enough come with the Real Player pre-installed to have made it more common on people's computers than iTunes.'

Then again, colloquial English is a rather messy affair, so I guess I can understand how you might've misunderstood the intent of my comment.

AlmostThere
Jan 31, 2008, 01:54 PM

Similar charges could be levelled at iTunes - it has come pre-installed on some PCs and is pre-installed on all new Macs and is also bundled with the iPod.

IIRC, it even pop-up up with a mini-store on first start, trying to entice me to sign up to their pay-for (not clearly stated in mini-store window) download service!

It has been quite challenging to download Quicktime without iTunes from Apple in the past - all those Quicktime streams (e.g. Apple's trailer site) are yet more sneaky ways to get iTunes on to your computer.

I even put Bonjour for Windows on my PC to connect to my networked printer and, Lo and Behold! That too tried to install Quicktime and iTunes as part of its auto-update process. :eek:

I am fairly ambivalent towards Real Player - it's not great but I have never had any problems with it and have it installed on all my Macs - but many of the charges laid against it here are also true for iTunes.

I do wonder how many people would use iTunes if it wasn't for Apple's bundling and packaging policy ... my guess is that most people don't actually care, so long as media just plays.

clevin
Jan 31, 2008, 01:59 PM
Don't be such a literalist, the meaning of a phrase in context is often different than the exact literally definition of its words letter by letter. I think it was fairly obvious that I didn't literally mean 'most' windows PCs as in 51% or greater, I think it's pretty clear that I meant 'more than enough come with the Real Player pre-installed to have made it more common on people's computers than iTunes.'

Then again, colloquial English is a rather messy affair, so I guess I can understand how you might've misunderstood the intent of my comment.

well, then let me say this, I doubt there are more than 5% of pcs out there who have real-player pre-installed. Looking around, there is no big brand pc makers preinstall realplayer at all.

psychofreak
Jan 31, 2008, 02:02 PM
Real Player is good for some things, I think it deserves a little less bashing (although the way it takes over PCs is awful)...I used to use it as the best possible way to move music to a Sony MP3 player...

Virgil-TB2
Jan 31, 2008, 02:02 PM
Who uses real player?????The damn BBC forces a significant number of people to use it as part of their "anything but Apple" plan.

Virgil-TB2
Jan 31, 2008, 02:07 PM
Most people I've spoken to on the subject, even the less computer-savvy, wouldn't install RealPlayer on a bet. ...The thing I have never understood about RealPlayer (both the original audio and the video), is that the quality is so incredibly bad. I've tried many versions of it off and on over the years it's been about and it was always the worst quality audio/video out there compared to any of it's competitors. Yet so many websites use (or at least used) it, it was almost a standard at one point.

I have never looked into it but I always assumed it was some kind of economic related (scam) thing that made it popular rather than quality. Sort of like Windows itself.

clevin
Jan 31, 2008, 02:22 PM
The thing I have never understood about RealPlayer (both the original audio and the video), is that the quality is so incredibly bad. I've tried many versions of it off and on over the years it's been about and it was always the worst quality audio/video out there compared to any of it's competitors.

maybe because its generally much smaller?

Am3822
Jan 31, 2008, 02:54 PM
Well, it's the format of choice for all things BBC, so there's little I could do about it (I listen a lot to BBC7 & Radio 3). At least they've upgraded the stream quality somewhat (they used to chop off the sound at 16kHz, I hope they've stopped doing that).

Here's an interesting question -- if the BBC iPlayer (the radio version available to non-UK people) doesn't require realplayer, can it be used on an iphone/ipod-touch?

motulist
Jan 31, 2008, 02:59 PM
it's the format of choice for all things BBC, so there's little I could do about it

I don't know if it works for live streams or not, but I've heard of lots of people using the Real Alternative product to successfully avoid using the Real Player.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=real+alternative&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Am3822
Jan 31, 2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks. I've tried it once, in my windows days -- it really messed up my machine back then. I'll have a look at it again, though given their caveat about many-part streams, it could be a problem with the Radio 3 stream.

clevin
Jan 31, 2008, 03:18 PM
realplayer is cleaner in OSX and Linux, but a bit slower in OSX.

Windows users have the option to use 3rd party, small apps, such as real alternative as to real player, quicktime alternative as to quicktime, media player classic as to WMP

davidjearly
Jan 31, 2008, 03:19 PM
The damn BBC forces a significant number of people to use it as part of their "anything but Apple" plan.

No, they don't.

I watch BBC videos using Quicktime (with Flip4Mac) all the time.

Osarkon
Jan 31, 2008, 03:33 PM
I installed RealPlayer on my Vista desktop the other week to be able to play some media, and er...I don't know how it is. Because it crashes on startup every time I run it.

That says enough for me.

Incidentally, didn't Windows 95/98 used to come with a very basic, old version of RealPlayer preinstalled?

clevin
Jan 31, 2008, 03:47 PM
Incidentally, didn't Windows 95/98 used to come with a very basic, old version of RealPlayer preinstalled?

not really (I might be wrong tho), but Im sure Netscape Communicator 4 has realplayer basic bundled.

minik
Jan 31, 2008, 04:28 PM
RealPlayer 11 beta on the Mac is pretty solid, but I can why iTunes is gaining share.

QuarterSwede
Jan 31, 2008, 05:00 PM
The thing I have never understood about RealPlayer (both the original audio and the video), is that the quality is so incredibly bad. I've tried many versions of it off and on over the years it's been about and it was always the worst quality audio/video out there compared to any of it's competitors. Yet so many websites use (or at least used) it, it was almost a standard at one point.

I have never looked into it but I always assumed it was some kind of economic related (scam) thing that made it popular rather than quality. Sort of like Windows itself.
I believe that was because the streams were a lot smaller so it was cheaper for the owners to operate.

Nermal
Jan 31, 2008, 05:37 PM

That was a while ago, but I believe that RealPlayer 4 was included with Windows at some point.

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 31, 2008, 10:24 PM
I believe that was because the streams were a lot smaller so it was cheaper for the owners to operate.

Yep. I think that RealPlayer's quality was always crappy, but it could achieve that crappy quality with a much lower bitrate than any other format.

illegalprelude
Feb 1, 2008, 05:11 PM
yea, im blown away by this....i didnt know anybody still even used Real Player. Although I have seen my dad use it and not because he cares for iTunes or Windows Media player or Real Player, but that i had iTunes installed for him but he was doing stuff on Amazon and they required Real Player on there and on another website he was on and once it installed Real player, it made it the default player.

Having said that, it was the first time I had seen real player in years

twoodcc
Feb 1, 2008, 10:32 PM
well that was a very short article. interesting that iTunes was the only one with growth though

Lord Sam
Feb 2, 2008, 03:30 AM
RealPlayer is just falling apart. It's not that great of an achievement for iTunes.