PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air Keyboard Material

jdiddy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:25 AM
Does anyone know what material the keyboard is made out of? Is it the same kind of plastic as the Macbooks? I'm just wondering if its going to get as greasy as the Blackbooks.

kockgunner
Jan 31, 2008, 06:01 PM
it looks a like it's of higher quality material than the macbooks. It seems to have a texture to it instead of it being completely smooth. Reviews also said that it's easier to type on and more comfortable than the macbook's keyboard. Steve also said that it was the best keyboard they've shipped (although that's probably due to the keyboard being backlit)

jdiddy
Feb 1, 2008, 07:20 PM
A different texture sounds great as long as it dosen't get as greasy as the blackbooks. Whats the verdict on the potential of the keyboards to get greasy?

neiltc13
Feb 1, 2008, 07:21 PM
To me it looks like it is made of the same material as the black MacBook which is definitely DIFFERENT to the white MacBook. The white one has a slightly rough texture to it whereas the black one is completely smooth. I prefer the white.

As for Apple making this thing black, it looks hideous in my opinion. One wonders why they couldn't just have made it the same colour as the trackpad or the MacBook Pro keyboard.

jdiddy
Feb 1, 2008, 07:25 PM
To me it looks like it is made of the same material as the black MacBook which is definitely DIFFERENT to the white MacBook. The white one has a slightly rough texture to it whereas the black one is completely smooth. I prefer the white.

As for Apple making this thing black, it looks hideous in my opinion. One wonders why they couldn't just have made it the same colour as the trackpad or the MacBook Pro keyboard.

I totally agree. I would much rather have the aluminum keys like those from the MBP and old PB's. I don't recall the keys on the old Titaniums having the grease issue but maybe my memory is bad.

bidwalj
Feb 3, 2008, 01:04 AM
they are the same keys as the black macbooks (or the same type i should say). This probably means they will start to shine after a period of use. i liked the material of the keys on the macbook pros better too

v-ault
Feb 3, 2008, 01:42 AM
it's made out of elephant trunks

Cybergypsy
Feb 3, 2008, 08:28 AM
I did not like the black at all but the color is really growing on me as for the grease, wash your hands :)

NC MacGuy
Feb 3, 2008, 08:37 AM
I did not like the black at all but the color is really growing on me as for the grease, wash your hands :)

Couldn't keep washing hands all the time! No matter what I did, I could never keep the blackbook from looking greasy. Not so impressive at important meeting. The trackpad/space bar/return key wore shiny on two I had.

The Air has different keys. They are slightly more textured and don't show grease like the MBBlack's. The trackpad will wear well like MBP's. The keys look very nice with the Air and not out of place at all.

Cybergypsy
Feb 3, 2008, 08:40 AM
Couldn't keep washing hands all the time! No matter what I did, I could never keep the blackbook from looking greasy. Not so impressive at important meeting. The trackpad/space bar/return key wore shiny on two I had.

The Air has different keys. They are slightly more textured and don't show grease like the MBBlack's. The trackpad will wear well like MBP's. The keys look very nice with the Air and not out of place at all. I was just kidding when the black macbook came out i bought a white and black sadly i returned the black due to prints all over the cover and keyboard :)

Catch
Feb 3, 2008, 08:53 AM

Funny how peoples tastes are so very different. I love the black keys. It reminds me of my old tiBook. Gives it a more retro look. Always hated the look and feel of the alu keys on my Pro... First thing I thought when I saw it was how stunning the machine looked with the contrasting keyboard! :)

Regards,

C

NC MacGuy
Feb 3, 2008, 08:54 AM
I was just kidding when the black macbook came out i bought a white and black sadly i returned the black due to prints all over the cover and keyboard :)

I've read many of your posts... I really think you'll love the Air. Sorry it didn't come yesterday. I feel almost guilty I got mine before you via retail but it wasn't easy.

The keys and trackpad look very nice even after using all day - no greasemarks! My two Blackbooks looked totally used up after 6 months - always greasy, shiny worn keys and trackpad. Not very professional looking but then again, I really think they are designed for students and casual users. The MBP's are just too big to lug everywhere especially through airports and on airplanes. The Air fits the bill exactly!

bidwalj
Feb 3, 2008, 11:03 AM
i like the keys and dont have a problem, as long as they dont turn shiny. might have to get the cover once they come out inorder to save them.