Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Since the beginning everyone has always been tough on microsoft because they release products which crash and have a lot of bugs. Recently Apple has been the same way to a certain degree. The quality with respect to their MBP line has come in question, Leopard has a lot of flawa and crashes all the time when compared to Tiger, Now the release of Apple TV Take 2 has been delayed because it is not ready yet. Why introduce a product when it is not even ready to be released?

I am starting to become disappointed with Apple lately and the quality of the products they are releasing. I think they have grown so much and have expanded into so many different areas that they have lost their way.

They used to focus on a few things and make really great products, now they try to do everything and the quality of their products has suffered.

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
Tiger had problems too when it was 1st released. All OS do.
The first OSX was awful.
Take 2 isn't the 1st apple product to be delayed, either.

I'd rather them delay it than release a faulty version.

So is apple becoming the new microsoft..... I'd say no. Microsoft is too big for its own good...too many things happening not enough control. Apple concentrates on a few things to make them better.

Apple is becoming something else...that is for sure.
But not M$

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
If you repeat a meme often enough, it becomes conventional wisdom.

"Apple is the new Microsoft" is the new "Iraq has WMDs."

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
^ "It's political correctness gone mad!"

(OP: I wouldn't worry. Judge Leopard after 10.5.2)

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
10.3.11, 10.4.10, 8.6, 7.6, 7.5.5, 7.1 - All Stable

It always takes some revision to get it right. These problem do occur a little more often with Internet updating.

TEG

I'm pretty sure Panther only went up to 10.3.9 mate. and for me, Tiger was crap at 10.4.11.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Since the beginning everyone has always been tough on microsoft because they release products which crash and have a lot of bugs.

Microsoft earned the toughness - Microsoft for years was seen as " releasing Beta versions in Retail Packages " - in other words they published a Release Date and buggy or not, they released the product. I am an MCSE so I have an idea of what I am talking about.

Now the release of Apple TV Take 2 has been delayed because it is not ready yet. Why introduce a product when it is not even ready to be released?

Apple is to be commended for NOT BEING LIKE Microsoft in that they held back a release because it wasn't quite ready yet.

They used to focus on a few things and make really great products, now they try to do everything and the quality of their products has suffered.

What is it that bothers you? Apple expanding into other areas? Is that what upsets you? :rolleyes:

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Hummm...

I'll start by saying I don't think Apple is the next MS. However, I do think Apple has to be careful not to forget what makes Apple cool... great designs, stable products, top quality, and far ahead of the competition.

I think the updates to the iPods this year we're weak. The Touch was expected and is cool... however I think the rest of the line was "ho-hum". Simple predictable updates. Apple has programed me to expect more and I think when we don't get "mind blowing" new products we begin to wonder if Apple is loosing it's edge.

I think they have lots on their plate, but I'm also confident that if any company has a few tricks up it's sleeve it's Apple. Besides... can you image if you were put in charge of updating the iMac or MacBook line? They're killer products now and you'd have to do 10 times better when no competitor can? Yikes!

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 360

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
My Leopard uptime ;)

Now your just bragging.

My leopard uptime? About an hour since last crash. And no I don't have any third party ram, or extensions installed. I do however want to use the devices I have bought that all worked fine with Tiger.

I dont think apple are the new microsoft, to be so they would have to make a move on google.

:apple:

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
I was upset at first when Apple delayed Take 2. But waiting another week or two is much better than delaying it by 3 years and still not getting it right.

Patience mate. It like a virtue or something....

Cudadown

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Had this iMac since November 07. Never had a crash, freeze, lag, stutters...etc...etc.

How is this possible that some have a bad copy of leopard when we are all pretty much on standard identical hardware?

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
We've been running Leopard since launch on 3 Macs and I have to say its put Vista to shame in terms of stability "out of the box".

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
leopard isn't flawed for me worked 100% better than my Windoze PC NO DOWN TIME apart from shutting down over night.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So far I have yet to see a kernel panic or other crash in Tiger or Leopard, but I've only owned my 24" Al iMac since Launch Day so that's what, six months?

Pretty much the only app that crashes on a somewhat regular basis is Microsoft Office 2008, but that was a beta so I cut them some slack. ;)

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
My old Tiger Mac Mini stopped working (I hadn't used it in 11 months) that's the only thing i've ever had problems with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.