PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air on Sale at the 5th Ave Store Tonight! 10:55 PM EST!

iPhonePhan
Jan 31, 2008, 09:56 PM
It's 10:50 PM EST and the Apple Store on 5th Ave now has the Thinnovation MacBook Air display up and the MacBook Air's are going on display in the next hour or so. Anyone around Midtown Manhattan come on by, I'm the dude in the LV Brown Jacket on the iMac.

I might just get one tonight... if anything to play with it and return it the next day! :p

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2065/2233412213_09ec83eaf5.jpg?v=0

ViperrepiV
Jan 31, 2008, 09:57 PM
just remember the restocking fee!

aiongiant
Jan 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
displays are up and demo units offical

but did they say they will be selling the units??

eddietr
Jan 31, 2008, 10:00 PM
Oh, man, that's almost enough to make me drive up to NY. It's only 4 hours.

I swear if I didn't have an important meeting tomorrow. My nice car is way under mileage (in terms of making best use of the warranty), and it would be a nice relaxing drive. And I have a bunch of new music to listen to.

Must... resist... urge.... to buy MBA at 4am!

Tell us if they have any SSD's available.

ViperrepiV
Jan 31, 2008, 10:02 PM
i have a dentist appt at 9am 2 blocks from there tomorrow morning. gonna totally cheer myself up

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 10:08 PM
displays are up and demo units offical

but did they say they will be selling the units??

WORD! There hasn't been a known retail sale yet nor any available. It would be welcome news if they are in-fact selling units. They've had demo's for a couple of days now as recently documented.

iPhonePhan
Jan 31, 2008, 10:10 PM
the Genius bar dude said there were going to be 50 available for sale tonight then more on Saturday. He said 5-10 were already going to VIP clients that are getting it picked up tonight. That leaves 40 more. Any buyers? I think I'm just gonna get it because it'd be nice to have on my business trips :p

iPhonePhan
Jan 31, 2008, 10:16 PM
I'll post pix as soon as the MBA is available on display and for sale. I'm totally excited! W00t!

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 10:20 PM
I'll post pix as soon as the MBA is available on display and for sale. I'm totally excited! W00t!

Are you going for the HD or SSD??

iPhonePhan
Jan 31, 2008, 10:22 PM
Are you going for the HD or SSD??

I'm getting whatever they have. If they have SSD only, then I'll pony up the cash. I wanna be first at work with it tomorrow ! :p

I love NYC! We always get everything 1st!

SteveSparks
Jan 31, 2008, 10:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Do they actually have to sell???????

tokensonly
Jan 31, 2008, 10:24 PM
the Genius bar dude said there were going to be 50 available for sale tonight then more on Saturday. He said 5-10 were already going to VIP clients that are getting it picked up tonight. That leaves 40 more. Any buyers? I think I'm just gonna get it because it'd be nice to have on my business trips :p

Sigh... don't tell me that, I'll have to come by tonight. Have you seen or heard anything about Time Capsule units there too?

gcmexico
Jan 31, 2008, 10:25 PM
Mine hasn't even been shipped yet and I ordered it the 15th!!!! Worst part I live only 2 blocks for the 5th ave store!!!! This is bull!!!:mad:

SteveSparks
Jan 31, 2008, 10:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Ask them if this is a NY only thing or will units be sold at other stores when they open Friday?

tokensonly
Jan 31, 2008, 10:26 PM
Mine hasn't even been shipped yet and I ordered it the 15th!!!! Worst part I live only 2 blocks for the 5th ave store!!!! This is bull!!!:mad:

Can you still cancel it? Go pick one up at 5th ave.

eddietr
Jan 31, 2008, 10:27 PM

2 blocks! Why don't you just cancel your order now and go over there?

If there are any available here in DC after my meeting tomorrow, that's what I'm going to do.

island
Jan 31, 2008, 10:27 PM

You sure they will be on sale tonight? If so I'll take the ride down from CT (45 minutes) right now! I called but they said not for a day or 2 so let me know and I'll see you there!

aiongiant
Jan 31, 2008, 10:28 PM

thats awesome! congrats to all the ppl that can buy it
i have to wait till Monday or Tuesday for mine

iPhonePhan
Jan 31, 2008, 10:28 PM

Do the actually have to sell???????

yes, according to the Genius Bar dude with the mop hair. He said if younask you can get it before the normal sale date of Satirdsy but only 50 are available tonight. He did say that when they sell out they're just gonna tell people to come back on Saturday.

Btw, I'm on my iPhone ;)

I'll be giving the live play by play of tonight "Snipe MBA Sale"

Stay tuned! :p

aiongiant
Jan 31, 2008, 10:31 PM

if it's still under "not yet shipped" status
you can still cancel!
go buy one over at the 5th!

SteveSparks
Jan 31, 2008, 10:32 PM

So if you go to a store tomorrow am and they have one, the guy in NY is saying you have to ask, but if in stock they can sell them?

I live in Austin. Wonder if Austin Domain will have them in the morning?

Wonder if NY guy knows inventory?

We really need realtime chat!! On my iPhone also...

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 10:39 PM
yes, according to the Genius Bar dude with the mop hair. He said if younask you can get it before the normal sale date of Satirdsy but only 50 are available tonight. He did say that when they sell out they're just gonna tell people to come back on Saturday.

Btw, I'm on my iPhone ;)

I'll be giving the live play by play of tonight "Snipe MBA Sale"

Stay tuned! :p

So they can't sell or display them until after 12am, being officially Friday? It seems kinda' ridiculous that he says I've got 40 for sale but sit here for the bewitching hour.

aiongiant
Jan 31, 2008, 10:43 PM
thats normal thought
it's like when new ps3 came out or xbox they ahve them all in stock but you have to wait till midnight to get in and buy one

Jimmie Geddes
Jan 31, 2008, 10:44 PM
Do they have the MacBook Air Super Drive in the 5th ave store?

iPhonePhan
Jan 31, 2008, 10:44 PM
So they can't sell or display them until after 12am, being officially Friday? It seems kinda' ridiculous that he says I've got 40 for sale but sit here for the bewitching hour.

Latest pics of the MacBook Air going on display and soon for SALE!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2373/2234270742_d4ed18254a.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2189/2234276204_e797eaf613.jpg?v=0

gcmexico
Jan 31, 2008, 10:45 PM
my order states Prepared for Shipment...the option for cancelling order is not there anymore...I paid extra for shipping to get it quicker...I've been had!!!:eek:

I just called the store they refused to tell me if they will sell any tonight or tomorrow...talk about shady!!!

I'm calling Applecare tomorrow if the 5th ave starts selling them...I want the extra money I paid for shipping back!:mad:

iPhonePhan
Jan 31, 2008, 10:46 PM
Do they have the MacBook Air Super Drive in the 5th ave store?

Yes they're right next to me.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2037/2234279876_6971c2523d.jpg?v=0

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 10:49 PM
Latest pics of the MacBook Air going on display and soon for SALE!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2373/2234270742_d4ed18254a.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2189/2234276204_e797eaf613.jpg?v=0

Man, I HATE NY!! Well really HATE NJ, NY isn't really so bad...

This is good news, at least I'll have a chance at getting one tomorrow when us unlucky plebe's without fancy shmancy 24 hour stores can have a go at it.

At least I have grass and trees.

kernyboy
Jan 31, 2008, 10:50 PM
I just called 5th Ave Apple store. SPoke to some guy...name Jeff, James...or Jason... in any event he was VERY rude to say the least! I asked him when the laptops would be going on sale. He said at the beginning of the month and that they wernt on the display floor and were not for sale. And to see these pics on line...really pisses me off. Apple needs to up their customer service. Why lie to me?

Yes they're right next to me.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2037/2234279876_6971c2523d.jpg?v=0

gcmexico
Jan 31, 2008, 10:50 PM
This is why the Iphone, internet and technology are awesome! I'm on the phone with the apple store on 5th ave and I qoute:

Apple store "We do not have any on display"
Me "Dude they are posting pictures of them right now, I know they are there, I'm looking at the pics right now"
Apple store "OH but I can't say if we will be selling them"

LOL :D

iPhonePhan
Jan 31, 2008, 10:51 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2277/2233497065_fd14f024fb.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2132/2234285264_0e18cd146c.jpg?v=0

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 10:52 PM
my order states Prepared for Shipment...the option for cancelling order is not there anymore...I paid extra for shipping to get it quicker...I've been had!!!:eek:

I just called the store they refused to tell me if they will sell any tonight or tomorrow...talk about shady!!!

I'm calling Applecare tomorrow if the 5th ave starts selling them...I want the extra money I paid for shipping back!:mad:

I think this is precisely why there have been no retail sales yet - to satisfy all the pre-orders who'd throw a major fit if they can be bought at retail stores before they received theirs...

kernyboy
Jan 31, 2008, 10:53 PM
Yeah, when 12:01 rolls around, I'm calling those suckas to hold one! I cant believe theyre doing this. the bastards.

aiongiant
This is why the Iphone, internet and technology are awesome! I'm on the phone with the apple store on 5th ave and I qoute:

Me "Dude they are posting pictures of them right now, I know they are there, I'm looking at the pics right now"

HAHAH

wow looks like it's really happening
i wonder how many ppl will show up LOL
is there any line ups yet?

iPhonePhan
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2401/2234288544_5c17c72802.jpg?v=0

eddietr
Jan 31, 2008, 10:54 PM

I stopped by the Tysons Corner store in VA at 8pm and asked and the guy said he had no idea. But it was painfully obvious he was lying. They were probably getting ready to put up the new signs tonight.

Too bad I can't get there until about 12:30 tomorrow. We'll see what they've got at that point.

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 10:54 PM
I just called 5th Ave Apple store. SPoke to some guy...name Jeff, James...or Jason... in any event he was VERY rude to say the least! I asked him when the laptops would be going on sale. He said at the beginning of the month and that they wernt on the display floor and were not for sale. And to see these pics on line...really pisses me off. Apple needs to up their customer service. Why lie to me?

That's a mystery to all. I think the rudeness goes with the location though.

iPhonePhan
Jan 31, 2008, 10:55 PM
HAHAH

wow looks like it's really happening
i wonder how many ppl will show up LOL
is there any line ups yet?

There's already a couple of people lining up to pick up their MBA's.

I have to stop taking pics. The manager came over to me and said the following:

"I'm gonna have to ask you to stop taking pictures of Apple employees. It's against Apple Store policies."

Sorry guys! :(

eddietr
Jan 31, 2008, 10:56 PM
I think this is precisely why there have been no retail sales yet - to satisfy all the pre-orders who'd throw a major fit if they can be bought at retail stores before they received theirs...

I don't think they have come close to satisfying the pre-orders. I waited a few days after the keynote, and ordered on the 19th. My ship date is Feb 12!

I'm hoping to find one somewhere within the next few days and cancel my order.

island
Jan 31, 2008, 10:58 PM
On my way!

aiongiant
Jan 31, 2008, 10:59 PM
I don't think they have come close to satisfying the pre-orders. I waited a few days after the keynote, and ordered on the 19th. My ship date is Feb 12!

i dont' think ALL stores will have the macbook air on sale
it's prob just the big flagship stores
for now anyways

iPhonePhan
Jan 31, 2008, 11:00 PM
On my way!

Haha! See you here dude!

Dude after that Apple Manager dude gave me attitude, I feel totally dissuaded from getting an MBA now. What a jerk :(

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:00 PM

You are correct. I meant the majority of the earliest keynote day adopters. The stores will have short supplies and at least you'll be in the que for one when the stores run out.

Good luck on finding one - let the hunt begin!

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:03 PM
Haha! See you here dude!

Dude after that Apple Manager dude gave me attitude, I feel totally dissuaded from getting an MBA now. What a jerk :(

Don't give up because of another apple ***** employee! I'm beginning to think rudeness and arrogance are a prerequisite for applestore employment. You've come so far, grab it, pay the money and screw him!

eddietr
Jan 31, 2008, 11:05 PM
i dont' think ALL stores will have the macbook air on sale
it's prob just the big flagship stores
for now anyways

That may be. But I think the store near us is pretty high volume.

The guy was definitely hiding something when I asked this evening. And now that I think about it, he even mumbled something about first come, first served as I was leaving.

I'm thinking at least a couple of the 5 or so stores around here will have some to sell.

gcmexico
Jan 31, 2008, 11:10 PM
Iphonephan get the MBA! you're there anyway...I have an idea, buy the MBA then go to the store manager and tell him to hold it for you and take a pic, then precede to leave while giving the finger...Post the pic and we rail on him or her all night!!! Do it get your MBA tonight:cool:

aiongiant
Jan 31, 2008, 11:11 PM
Iphonephan get the MBA! you're there anyway...I have an idea, buy the MBA then go to the store manager and tell him to hold it for you and take a pic, then precede to leave while giving the finger...Post the pic and we rail on him or her all night!!! Do it get your MBA tonight:cool:

HAHAHAH
YES DO IT!!

for us! haha

iPhonePhan
Jan 31, 2008, 11:11 PM

LoL You made laugh so hard now! Haha! :p

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:13 PM

DO IT!! That would be hilarious!!!!!

gcmexico
Jan 31, 2008, 11:14 PM
now go get that MBA iphonephan!!:D

aiongiant
Jan 31, 2008, 11:15 PM
haha i think everyone here votes you do it!
haha for the macbook air community! haha

kernyboy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:16 PM
I bet it was that Jason...James...John Guy. Some jerk with a "J" name. Hey, do me a favor, pick me up one and I'll give you the money.

DO IT!! That would be hilarious!!!!!

island
Jan 31, 2008, 11:17 PM
Just hit NY driving on I95, woooooooooo!!!

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:19 PM
C'mon iphonphan - pull the trigger! You'll have the first confirmed kill of a MB air in the wild!

SteveSparks
Jan 31, 2008, 11:20 PM

hhahahaha cool!

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:26 PM
24 minutes past 12. I'd already have that thing bought and be running migration assistant by now.....

aiongiant
Jan 31, 2008, 11:29 PM
haha i wonder if he did it

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:31 PM
So much for the "New York Minute" analogy.....

eddietr
Jan 31, 2008, 11:34 PM
What happened to iPhonePhan?

1.) He bought it, asked the manager for the picture, and the manager took it back.

2.) He bought it, opened it, and it's so beautiful he fainted.

3.) He bought it, opened it, and it was so light he floated away.

Somebody post the picture of the first retail store purchase, for crying out loud! :)

arn
Jan 31, 2008, 11:35 PM

Hard core, island. Out of respect, I'll refrain from posting on the front page before you get yours. Keep us updated. :)

And any SSD models avail?

arn

iPhonePhan
Jan 31, 2008, 11:37 PM
It's beautiful....I'm getting it and I have no reason to get one (I already have a MBP) Geeeeeeeezuz its the new hotness. I would use it at work everyday. ZOMG it's soooo light and sweet. And the new touchpad for retouching pics is Amazing. HOTNESS!!! :D

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:37 PM
What happened to iPhonePhan?

1.) He bought it, asked the manager for the picture, and the manager took it back.

2.) He bought it, opened it, and it's so beautiful he fainted.

3.) He bought it, opened it, and it was so light he floated away.

Somebody post the picture of the first retail store purchase, for crying out loud! :)

Or they just have displays and none for sale before Saturday??? Me want pic's too...

eddietr
Jan 31, 2008, 11:39 PM
It's beautiful....I'm getting it and I have no reason to get one (I already have a MBP) Geeeeeeeezuz its the new hotness. I would use it at work everyday. ZOMG it's soooo light and sweet. And the new touchpad for retouching pics is Amazing. HOTNESS!!! :D

Any SSD's ???

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:39 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I've got a MBP, two MB's and a bunch of other crap. I want the sexy, cool, make my life better MBA!! PIC'S!

iPhonePhan
Jan 31, 2008, 11:40 PM
I bet it was that Jason...James...John Guy. Some jerk with a "J" name. Hey, do me a favor, pick me up one and I'll give you the money.

OMG it was Jason. I went back to him and said "Look dude, no disrespect intended but seriously how was I supposed to know". then he said "My bad. I have this cowling face that scares people and makes them think I'm mad at them when I'm not. My bad."

He seemed chill after that. I wanna have no beef in life, just good vibes. :p

Ryuukumori
Jan 31, 2008, 11:40 PM
I'm getting whatever they have. If they have SSD only, then I'll pony up the cash. I wanna be first at work with it tomorrow ! :p

Heh, even though I'm clear across the country for you (Seattle, WA), NY doesn't get EVERYTHING first...

If you are an xbox 360 fan and love Halo, you should have watched the Bungie worldwide release of Halo 3 on Sept 25th. If I remember correctly, NEW ZEALAND got the first copies of Halo 3, not NYC. XD

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:41 PM
OMG it was Jason. I went back to him and said "Look dude, no disrespect intended but seriously how was I supposed to know". then he said "My bad. I have this cowling face that scares people and makes them think I'm mad at them when I'm not. My bad."

So much for karma lectures - what'd you get??

kernyboy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah man, that dude is an asshat. I just KNEW it was him!

eddietr
Jan 31, 2008, 11:42 PM

Speaking of good vibes...

ANY SSD's for sale up there??? Which one did you get?

iPhonePhan
Jan 31, 2008, 11:43 PM
Only HD's for sale. No SSD's due to shipment "issues". The dude said to wait later tonight for them to go on sale. Right now they're working on just finishing setting up more around MBP's.

Note: They put them next to the MBPs, not the MB prolly cuz they want to make it fit the "12' inch PowerBook G4" niche.

I can't wait any longer UGH I have to go to bed to go to work really early tomorrow. I'll be back tomorrow for my purchase.

5th Ave Store is the place to be ! Peace out my MacRumors Homies! :p

akakillroy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:44 PM

Well get his picture with your new MBA and post it already.

Dam you Apple, there is going to be 6-8 Inches of snow here in the St Louis area and I want a MBA!

My wife is going to kill me :-O

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:45 PM
Only HD's for sale. No SSD's due to shipment "issues". The dude said to wait later tonight for them to go on sale. Right now they're working on just finishing setting up more around MBP's.

Note: They put them next to the MBPs, not the MB prolly cuz they want to make it fit the "12' inch PowerBook G4" niche.

I can't wait any longer UGH I have to go to bed to go to work really early tomorrow. I'll be back tomorrow for my purchase.

You've got to be kidding! Dry h ump!

akakillroy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:46 PM

Whoossie! LOL

eddietr
Only HD's for sale. No SSD's due to shipment "issues".

Hmmm, that sucks. :(

Ryuukumori

Hey man, have fun there!

I've never been in an Apple store before (I'm a loser, haha). But my Japanese teacher has already ordered his online on MacWorld day and it's coming to the school on Feb 12th. Can't wait to check it out.

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:47 PM
Hard core, island. Out of respect, I'll refrain from posting on the front page before you get yours. Keep us updated. :)

And any SSD models avail?

arn

Poor island - hope there in-fact are units for sale or he's wasted some valuable sleeping time!

gcmexico
Jan 31, 2008, 11:51 PM
get the MBA or at least a pic of Jason...one or the other man, I got had on extra shipping!!! I need some form of pay back!!!:cool:

mBurns
Jan 31, 2008, 11:53 PM
Hey man, have fun there!

I've never been in an Apple store before (I'm a loser, haha). But my Japanese teacher has already ordered his online on MacWorld day and it's coming to the school on Feb 12th. Can't wait to check it out.

There's a very convenient one in Bellevue, WA.

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:54 PM
get the MBA or at least a pic of Jason...one or the other man, I got had on extra shipping!!! I need some form of pay back!!!:cool:

Nothin' from iphonephan.... Still no confirmed MBA purchases from retail stores! What a waste - had to go to bed. Didn't he ever hear of sick days?

gcmexico
Jan 31, 2008, 11:57 PM
my MBA has been shipped!!!! I bet they read my comment about calling tomorrow and said "get this lunatic's MBA out of here"!!!

I got the 1.8 80HD!!!

Finally, I can go to bed in peace:)

paradox0o0
Feb 1, 2008, 12:01 AM
seriously I need some confirmation about the 5th ave availability. I'm considering grabbing a cab and head on over tonight. But with only the reported 50 I really don't want to get there and find out they're out T_T

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 12:01 AM
my MBA has been shipped!!!! I bet they read my comment about calling tomorrow and said "get this lunatic's MBA out of here"!!!

I got the 1.8 80gb!!!

Finally, I can go to bed in peace:)

SSD or HD? See, preordering does work! I'll be looking all weekend...

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 12:06 AM
seriously I need some confirmation about the 5th ave availability. I'm considering grabbing a cab and head on over tonight. But with only the reported 50 I really don't want to get there and find out they're out T_T

I'd call to be certain. There still is no confirmation any will be for sale tomorrow - just displays and demo units. Wish iphonephan would have consummated a deal.

island
Feb 1, 2008, 12:06 AM
stupid ass bastards won't sell any, ARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 12:07 AM

Are they waiting for Saturday?

aiongiant
Feb 1, 2008, 12:09 AM

what did they say? how come your can't buy one?

Nibi
Feb 1, 2008, 12:09 AM
When I got there this evening they were setting up. I stuck around till they put the demos out to the public. I played with the SSD unit for a bit and it is pretty zippy. I opened everything on the dock simultaneously and it didn't chug. The speaker sound was tinny and distorted at highest volume while playing Hous of Pain's "Jump Around". There were a ton of people swarming all the sales people and I really didn't feel like waiting around too long. I decided to pick up a MBA superdrive and go home. I now await for my Amazon Gold Box deal MBA to ship. Good luck to anyone who is still sticking it out. Thou art more hardcore than I.

inkling23
Feb 1, 2008, 12:27 AM
When I got there this evening they were setting up. I stuck around till they put the demos out to the public. I played with the SSD unit for a bit and it is pretty zippy. I opened everything on the dock simultaneously and it didn't chug. The speaker sound was tinny and distorted at highest volume while playing Hous of Pain's "Jump Around". There were a ton of people swarming all the sales people and I really didn't feel like waiting around too long. I decided to pick up a MBA superdrive and go home. I now await for my Amazon Gold Box deal MBA to ship. Good luck to anyone who is still sticking it out. Thou art more hardcore than I.

Did anyone notice in the pics...What were those white dongle-looking thingys plugged into the MBA's USB port? Or am I just seeing things?

Toknee
Feb 1, 2008, 12:28 AM
WHAT A SHOW!

Nothing for sale, don't waste your time.

And none of the sales people will even give a confirmed date when they will be available.

Pretty sad, I am willing to spend $3000+, and apple does not want to take it tonight.

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 12:31 AM
WHAT A SHOW!

And none of the sales people will even give a confirmed date when they will be available.

Pretty sad, I am willing to spend $3000+, and apple does not want to take it tonight.

That's exactly what I thought. Thanks for the post.

aiongiant
Feb 1, 2008, 12:33 AM
im guessing apple is looking out somewhat for the preorder ppl maybe?
dont' want a ton of canceled orders

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 12:34 AM
Did anyone notice in the pics...What were those white dongle-looking thingys plugged into the MBA's USB port? Or am I just seeing things?

I think they are some sort of locking device to prevent pilferage.

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 12:36 AM
im guessing apple is looking out somewhat for the preorder ppl maybe?
dont' want a ton of canceled orders

Precisely. They may go up for real sale on Saturday since most early preorders should be delivered today and yesterday (Thursday.)

Nibi
Feb 1, 2008, 12:37 AM

The thingy you are referring to is a security device. It is tethered to the magsafe connector and fastened under the display counter. If anyone tries to walk away with a MBA the USB dongle pops out and emits a loud shriek of an alarm.

tokensonly
Feb 1, 2008, 12:53 AM
Yup, they're not selling them tonight. It was great to see and touch one though, it reaffirmed my choice to get one. The staff, and Jason in particular, was pretty nice to me. They have a list of customers on an item-out-of-stock list for the MBA. They said they would call the customers on the list when it goes on sale, so I put my name on it. Hopefully they will go one sale tomorrow, but I am guessing probably not. Maybe Saturday though.

AJ Muni
Feb 1, 2008, 01:28 AM
lol kudos to the OP for all the info and pics. It's amazing how much info (Jason, Status, Pics) we can get now and days with technology.

mashoutposse
Feb 1, 2008, 01:38 AM
WHAT A SHOW!

Yep, Toknee and I hung out for almost an hour... no dice :(

HLdan
Feb 1, 2008, 02:09 AM

Um, I don't know about that. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Apple is in the Bay Area. We saw the Air first at Macworld in person while the of you are posting up on MR when the stores will have it to show. I played with the Air on the 15th, the day of Macworld. Doesn't always pay to live in NY.:p

SFStateStudent
Feb 1, 2008, 02:14 AM
at Macworld '08 as well, but there wasn't a CD/DVD drive on it, so I was wondering how you would add software to it without the CD/DVD drive??? Never mind! I just saw the Remote Disk retrieval software feature. :cool:

ViperrepiV
Feb 1, 2008, 09:50 AM
I just checked it out....thin and pretty, just like everyone has said. They only had the SSDs on display....and i only saw two of them. the SSDs were snappy, and iMovie with SD clips seemed to run well. itunes opened very quickly and coverflow worked pretty smoothly.

I will probably get one when they go on sale, but I will still lust after the MBP's 15 in screen...there's just so much screen real estate!

fdot
Feb 2, 2008, 09:00 PM
well i have been calling all 3 apple stores in nyc and, all of them told me that they were sold out yesterday and they had none today, wich is satruday.. what gives

HLdan
Feb 3, 2008, 12:53 AM
at Macworld '08 as well, but there wasn't a CD/DVD drive on it, so I was wondering how you would add software to it without the CD/DVD drive??? Never mind! I just saw the Remote Disk retrieval software feature. :cool:

Which Macworld were you at? The one I went to in SF had at least 4 MBA's connected to external Superdrives.