PDA

View Full Version : Is the MacBook Air going to have the iPhone-like price drop in the near future?

joemarioz
Jan 31, 2008, 10:52 PM
I was wondering around and thought... mmm is the air going to be cheaper for students,road wariors, etc. I mean. Is Apple even thinking about it ?

Kashchei
Jan 31, 2008, 10:54 PM
I was wondering around and thought... mmm is the air going to be cheaper for students,road wariors, etc. I mean. Is Apple even thinking about it ?

When the cube didn't sell as expected it had a price drop. I have a feeling that the same sort of thing could happen with the MBA if it doesn't catch on quickly.

zirkle2007
Jan 31, 2008, 10:58 PM
I don't think it will until you see a drastic drop in prices for the actual hardware in this. And I really don't feel like Apple is wanting this to take over a lot of sales. Its more of a 'see what we can do' product. I think its leading the way for how a lot of their future products will hold.

EricNau
Jan 31, 2008, 10:59 PM
I doubt it. The current price point seems about right to me.

Also, the iPhone received a price drop to increase sales and further the iPhone's impact, because it's a one-of-a-kind product at the moment, and Apple needs it to do well. The MBA is different because it's just another addition to the MacBook line, so Apple isn't relying on it to spur a whole new ecosystem.

nagromme
Jan 31, 2008, 11:19 PM
Also the iPhone was a new KIND of product, in way that the Air is not. Sure, the Air makes different compromises and has its unique strengths, but ultraportables have been around a while.

(And many cost more than an Air.)

I do expect a nice price drop in the SSD option--but not right away.

noservice2001
Feb 1, 2008, 12:00 AM
if can, used AMEX.... that's what saved through the iphone ordeal

and there is a different pricing for education.... students, teachers etc

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/american-express-200-iphone-price-rebates-coming-in-300037.php

btw, amex is american express- with the iphone, $100 from apple and $100 from amex.... so the iphone was used on june29 like everyone else, and cost 399 in the end