PDA

View Full Version : Heat Issues

byke
Feb 1, 2008, 04:46 AM
Is anyone here having any heat issues with the new MBA ?

Markleshark
Feb 1, 2008, 05:02 AM
Too hot? Too Cold? Not emitting the heat properly?

What classes as a 'problem'?

pondie84
Feb 1, 2008, 05:10 AM
I think all potential macbook buyers have been put off by the tales of hot macbooks and macbook pros. For instance, hearing they're too hot to put on your lap is a bit of a turn off.

How hot to touch are the MBA's is what I'm guessing the OP is asking.

meagain
Feb 1, 2008, 08:06 AM
There must be very few MBA's in the hands of folks because I'm not seeing many reviews at all.

I would mostly use this NOT on a desk so I'm very interested in the heat. I don't have a macbook, but every time I feel their heat with my hand in stores - it's REALLY hot. Too hot for me.

I'm especially interested in heat comparisons between MBA and MB & MBP.

diabolic
Feb 1, 2008, 08:44 AM
The Newsweek review said this about heat:

the Air doesn't run as hot as Apple's other laptops--it's actually possible to work for an hour with the device on your lap without the feeling that your fertility is at stake

This will be one of the first things I'll check when I get mine.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 1, 2008, 08:49 AM
I think all potential macbook buyers have been put off by the tales of hot macbooks and macbook pros. For instance, hearing they're too hot to put on your lap is a bit of a turn off.

Could be useful for reheating coffee.

Cybergypsy
Feb 1, 2008, 08:55 AM
Crap just had my crossfires seat heaters fixed

Ratty
Feb 1, 2008, 03:38 PM
Crap just had my crossfires seat heaters fixed

You don't need heated seats in Florida! (unless you park your arse in a fridge) ;)

Cybergypsy
Feb 1, 2008, 03:40 PM
You don't need heated seats in Florida! (unless you park your arse in a fridge) ;)My arse is always cold and it gets in the 20's here :)

Ratty
Feb 1, 2008, 03:47 PM
My arse is always cold and it gets in the 20's here :)

20's are a luxury, it's not even 10 here at the moment. Oh for some Florida sun...

rittchard
Feb 1, 2008, 11:17 PM
Definitely got warmer on my lap than I'd like. Fan was also a little louder than I'd imagined. It wasn't horrible (mostly because it's so light I could teeter it on my legs back and forth) but I wouldn't want it there for too long. I think just putting almost anything in between as a buffer would work.

archurban
Feb 2, 2008, 12:25 AM
well, that's why I don't buy first new mac because it has a lot of problem. it's sort of testing product which is helped from customers. it's bad. but so far there are so many people bought first product, and tested. macbook air is made from aluminum. it is even so thin. so it easily delivers heat from inside. so you can't leave it on your lap for long time use. I doubt that we can even use it for long time. say. turn it on, working all day? I don't know. I might wait for second generation or until Apple will fix potential problems.

dbp1999
Feb 2, 2008, 01:22 AM
Hi we have pretty much everything here from Powerbok 12 righ through to latest Gen 17" MBP and I can honestly say that the newer the machine the hotter it runs, the 17" when in full flight is downright sizzling and not something you can put on your lap. Add to that the Power pack is IMHO just friggin dangerous its so hot... so my main concern is MBA.

Only way to actually test these things at the extreme sadly seems to be play WoW as it hits almost everything and gets the fans spinning within a minute.

SO anyone out there got any experience of the MBA heat and Fan Noise (also the power pack is that running scalding hot too?

As a side issue the framerate in Wow for the SSD model would be an interesting figure, or unreal tournament, whichever... kinda expecting the SSD to be faster...

Looking forward to hearing back.

If it deos run as hot as MBP or hotter given its profile it will make a great ice cream slicer ;-P Or a new advertising campaign targeted at students in cold countries quoting the BTU output to keep them warm, undocumented feature ;-P