Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Hello.

I'm sure someone will be able to help me. The number 6 key on my keyboard has three options, typing the number 6, this: ^, and another thing, which is a rectangle with a cross going through it, which apparently means clear.

What does it do? What other keys do i need to hold down to make it work? Is there a website that shows what all the symbols mean, what they do, and how to use them?

Thanks.

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Same question

Hello again,

I'd still like to know the same thing, but this time it's a MacBook Pro.

Anyone any ideas yet?

hughvane

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
The number 6 key on my keyboard has three options, typing the number 6, this: ^, and another thing, which is a rectangle with a cross going through it, which apparently means clear. What does it do?

Best advice I can offer is to open Keyboard Viewer by clicking on your national flag in the top menu bar. As you press a key, including the Modifiers - Shift, Ctrl, Cmd, Opt - you will see which key does what.

Next option is to open Character Palette from the same menu bar, and take time to read the hundreds of symbols there. Use thereof is a simple click.

As to what a cross through a rectangle means, someone else will have to explain that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.