PDA

View Full Version : C-net reports growing Apple market share

sjs
Apr 26, 2002, 09:28 PM
c/net's news.com has a positive story about the new iMac's effect on Apple's market share.

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-893232.html

Lots of posters ask about market share from time-to-time. It's now 3.7% in the US for the first quarter, and Apple is now the number 9 manufacturer in the world (nearly 8th).

The article also notes that market share is well below that of 1996.

*However, if the new iMac were to continue to be built at 5,000 to 10,000 units per day, as has been reliably reported, I believe you could see Apple's market share reach 6% as soon as next quarter.

sjs
Apr 26, 2002, 09:33 PM
*However, if the new iMac were to continue to be built at 5,000 to 10,000 units per day, as has been reliably reported, I believe you could see Apple's market share reach 6% as soon as next quarter.

for clarification...this part of the post is my opinion, not in the article.

Beej
Apr 26, 2002, 09:37 PM
It looks like Apple is doing a good job of innovating itself out of it's current situation, just like Steve-o said they would.

me hate windows
Apr 26, 2002, 09:57 PM
I thought the iMac production was still having production problems. Am I wrong:confused: Growing market share is really good though, but I don't want it to be too high, or Apple will be something like Microsoft. i.e. total control:( that would be bad, I kind of like being the minority, but we need more users.:)

Catfish_Man
Apr 26, 2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by me hate windows
I thought the iMac production was still having production problems. Am I wrong:confused: Growing market share is really good though, but I don't want it to be too high, or Apple will be something like Microsoft. i.e. total control:( that would be bad, I kind of like being the minority, but we need more users.:)

...would be ideal. Just enough to get developers attention, not enough for Apple to get too full of itself.

sjs
Apr 26, 2002, 10:00 PM
Analysts say Apple will produce 600,000 new iMacs in the second quarter.

That compares to ALL Apple computers totaling 809,000 in the first quarter. WOW!

sjs
Apr 26, 2002, 10:10 PM
Its getting kind of late in the eastern time zone, so i am probably delirious, but here goes anyway.

I think in the first qtr Apple sold about 175,000 new iMacs (anyone remember the number?). That would mean they sold about 620,000 PowerMacs, old iMacs, iBooks and TiBooks...

So if they keep that number steady and sell 600,000 new iMacs that is 1.2 million units in the second qtr. That's a 50% increase.

Apple stock could jump next week.

j763
Apr 27, 2002, 02:18 AM
Yet another ignorant C|NET report... Of course their market share has dropped since 1996... they kinda almost died in 97... (zealot flaming coming up for me, i just know it :D ).

It's good to see that Apple's market share is going up... something like 30 % would be ideal (vs win-based sys.). If apple became too big, i.e. majority of market share, they'd be the next m$ anyways... that's why I think the states should give m$ a rest -- if they break them up, there'll just be another monopoly... (remember when ibm had the monopoly and netscape had the majority of browsers on the market???)

Geert
Apr 27, 2002, 03:18 AM
6 million of the original iMac.
And now already 809.000 of the new iMac, wauw.
the new iMac gives Apple new perspectives.

me like-ie!