PDA

View Full Version : No Automator workflows are working!

jonkemerer
Feb 1, 2008, 12:38 PM
Hello:

I have a little issue here. I'm trying to make an Automator plugin for Finder, anything really, and nothing works. Here's the thing, it works if you run the workflow in the Automator App, but if I save it as a plugin for Finder, go to More > (Name of Plugin) it doesn't work.

All I'm trying to do is add Spotlight comments to multiple files, something that Apple themselves seemed to overlook. Simple enough, I just formed the workflow using Get Selected Finder Items > Add Spotlight comments, for the latter "Show this action when workflow runs" is checked. I run it, and the "Add Comments" dialog box appears, but nothing happens? Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

tlccreates
Feb 3, 2008, 07:11 PM
I would love an answer to this. I too (a mac newbie) have been trying to make a couple simple plug-ins for Finder (one to duplicate and rename files to folder.jpg) (and the other one to set the folder.jpg file as the folder icon - what can I say? I have about 90gig of files to be brought over from Windows that have this great feature of being able to see a preview of the folder contents by naming the preview image as folder.jpg)

So first step, I thought, would be to create workflows to copy and rename the preview file (which is a jpg) to folder.jpg. I got a functioning workflow in Automator but it only functions when I run it thru Automator. It does not work as the Finder plugin or as a seperate application.

The process I have set up is:
Get selected finder items
Duplicate finder items
Rename - basename only to folder

What am I missing here?

any help would be much appreciated