Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dodonutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2004
Deep South UK
Right so a month ago i managed to drop my iPhone onto a concrete floor screen first, That resulted in a lovely spidersweb of cracks all across the top of the screen. Anywho, i got authorisation to replace it myself and get refunded through my insurance so today got a new iphone but i have no idea how to activate it without signing up for a new iPhone contract which i dont want!

I have swapped the SIMs over so i have my original SIM card in my new iPhone but i dont know how to get the new phone activated and updated with the old account and backed up iphone data.

If anyone can enlighten me i would be very grateful, have been without my iPhone for 2 weeks now, i want it back!

MattsxB

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2007
All you need to do is plug it into itunes and sync it like you normally would. It will give you the option to activate a new line of service or restore from a previous sync...

ChrisCarter770

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
I have a OTB 1.1.3 that I jailbroke and bypassed the activation but when I put the At&t card in it doesnt work for some reason.
But if you have a OTB 1.1.2, you'll need to downgrade to 1.1.1 and jailbreak, then install OK TO PREP and then Soft update back to 1.1.2 by pressing shift on windows or Options on mac and then select your 1.1.2 firmware that you have saved on your computer and then jailbreak again using Windows.bat on 1.1.2 and then your activated when complete and you should be able to put your sim card in and be fine

dodonutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2004
Deep South UK
right well the problem was me being worried as you have to enter a load of details then submit them then after that it gives you the options. Only problem is this phone was on 1.1.2 so gave me an error when I tried to restore it so I had to update it then restore it to factory settings then it gave me the option to restore again so finally got there and typing this on my shiney new iPhone :D

Thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.