Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sturob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
Houston, TX
Hey there,

I read the Macworld review of the MBA and the author mentions how to prop up the MBA so that you can use an 85W MagSafe adapter with it.

Is this the case, that it's OK to use a higher-wattage adapter with the MBA? I don't know enough about MagSafe to know . . . but it seems like the Macworld people would know.

Thanks,

Stuart

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yes, you can always use a higher-powered Apple adapter (with a compatible connector of course) to power a lower-powered machine. The machine will only draw what it needs.

The reverse is also true, although the machine may not be able to draw enough power to run and charge the battery very quickly under heavy load. I'd imagine using a MBA power adapter on an MBP would really be pushing the limits. It would probably be fine for charging overnight while sleeping, but using the machine at the same time would likely be too much for it.

island

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
Nashville
MBA adapters to allow MB/MBP adapters to fit perfectly would be cool but I don't think anyone is allowed to make Magsafe adapters except Apple themselfs...

sturob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
Houston, TX
Thanks for the replies.

I assumed it would work, but, well, I didn't think it would hurt to ask.

Stuart

blairwillis

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
Of course couldn't you purchase an Apple airplane magsafe adaptor (relatively inexpensive) and cut/mod it to your liking?

Is there a MacBook Air airplane magsafe adaptor yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.