PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air First Impressions and Notes

Pages : [1] 2

arn
Feb 1, 2008, 03:59 PM
For all new MacBook Air owners. Please post your first impressions here.

At the moment, impressions are scattered, so it might be nice to consolidate new owner impressions in a single thread.

thanks
arn

mashoutposse
Feb 1, 2008, 04:04 PM
First impressions: Packaging is notably high quality, the computer is the definition of sleek, the screen is bright and vivid, initial boot-up was pretty fast (1.8/SSD), and the keyboard is marvelous given the form factor.

That's all I got for now, just got home 15 minutes ago :p

arn
Feb 1, 2008, 04:07 PM
post by bearwise (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4876042&postcount=2390)

Not really a review, just random impressions so far

I agree with everything being said, amaing build quality and design, I'm carying mine around all day with a leather portfolio, I oftne forget that I'm carrying it......

Wonderful keyboard and screen. Compared to other macs they are good, compared to most PC's they are great, compared to other ultra-portables they are miracles......a joy to use

For the person that asked: the preloaded software + Office 2008 (full install) left about 51Gb free on the 80Gb drive, would leave ~35 Gb on the SSD drive, all things being equal....

I am intriuged what may (or may not) be Apple's, deeper, longer-term plans for this platform. I like how it came in what was essentially a wider longer iPod box, same internal design and materials. For me it reinforced the notion of this as an accessory to our other computers: a more transportable carryalong with 80% of the capability of our major computers, perfect for running from meeting to meeting, or airport to airport. With the usual things I do during my work day (surf websites, read and reply to email, review and edit documents) the speed was peppy (I have the 1.6/80), never noticed much lag. Would I use it for heavy-duty photo editing, or hard-core gaming? No, but I've never used any lap-top i've ever owned for those purposes, only my more pwerful and much less transprotable desktops.

The use of shared disk drive for loading software was very straightforward: I loaded Office 2004 then upgraded to 2008 in about 20 minutes.

So , so far wonderful machine for my needs.

Eric Lewis
Feb 1, 2008, 04:08 PM
my work at best buy

has 2 units set up (1.6/80gb and 1.8/64gb)

and the 64gb is so fast and quick...boot up in like 20secs

much faster opening iTunes and iPhotos

arn
Feb 1, 2008, 04:08 PM
posted by gear02 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4876081&postcount=2391)

First impressions. The box is heavier than the machine itself but it's the nicest packaging for a Apple product that I've ever seen.

The laptop itself is very nice. It was very cold when I got it but that's because it's been traveling in an unheated plane container and truck when I got it. I've seen lighter laptops but this is the thinnest I've held. It's almost feels like holding a legal pad as if you could carry it with you all over the place. I was afraid of it being too thin where I could snap it in two, but it's not that fragile. Just think of a macbook pro that was flattened.

The latch on the side snaps up and down and it's a lot less visible than I thought. The magsafe adapter is strange since the locking part is cylindrical rather than rectangular than before.

The keyboard itself feels like the macbooks rather than the macbook pro.

Trying to figure out how to use the remote disk is a little more challenging than I was expecting. The manual says to go into the sharing preferences and enable the CD/DVD sharing, but I don't see that option on my macbook air. The Disk sharing software that you're supposed to install on other computers is on the disc 1 of the backup disks you get which is a little disappointing because I don't want to be carrying that disc with me anywhere since it's so valuable.

Lots of updates to run as it wasn't updated with the latest iTunes and the security update.

Oh the lid closes like the macbook and doesn't really have a latch like the MBP.

I ordered the USB ethernet adapter but nothing worthy to note.

Anything else you need to know?

arn
Feb 1, 2008, 04:11 PM
bitty417 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4874400&postcount=2320)

No photos unfortunately -- I'm sure you've seen enough by now!

First impressions:

1) The machine is definitely quick (base model). I've never experienced a significant lag, or anything bouncing on the dock more than twice.
3) As everyone else has mentioned the screen is beautiful!
2) My AT&T USB Air card works perfectly. Sits in the USB slot when the MBA is on a desk without a problem.
3) Quality and build is impeccable.

Other than that -- nothing. No complaints, no gripes. I'm in love.

arn
Feb 1, 2008, 04:14 PM
samcheezay (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4876307&postcount=239)

alright so went down to sf downtown on stockton st to check out the new MBA during lunch and I must say w/my gf, I am quite impressed by the design and how thin this thing is. Literally, this thing is super thin. its like little sheets of paper stacked together.

The Design - very impressed, very thin, well structured and overall, durable

The Speed - I was playing with both normal HDD and SSD MBA's. The HDD is okay. wasn't expecting that much because of the 1.6ghz speed of the core 2 duo's but nonetheless, still functioned pretty well.
The SSD was nice and fast. Opened up safari, itunes, and other programs pretty fast. Was quite shocked. However; garageband and etc. took awhile to load.

Overall the speed was okay but still impressed by them for sticking in a core 2 duo in the MBAs

The Sound - okay, this is the moment I've been waiting for because reading and hearing that it was only mono instead of stero (which killed me) I had to find out how well the sound was going to output on 1 speaker. I was very well impressed, but I could tell that it was only coming out from right side of the speaker. It gave me a =\ perception on it and wished they would've done more.

Overall, get this laptop if you're just going to use internet, word, and itunes. It really is cool but not for me.

knelto
Feb 1, 2008, 04:16 PM
Haven't posted on here in ages, but I'm here at an Apple store tinkering on one and thought I'd post my thoughts.

-I'm on the 1.8, 64GB SSD unit and it's definitely snappy... haven't compared it to the 1.6, 80GB unit yet... Not sure if this store has one
-The screen is very bright and crisp. Glossy doesn't bother me, so it looks great
-The trackpad is a bit larger than the MB and MBP. I compared it to my iPhone and it's as tall as the iPhone is wide and almost as wide as the iPhone is long.
-The 3 finger page back in Safari is SIMPLE and works really well
-There is a Sudden Motion Sensor
-This unit in the store is running 10.5.1... Not sure if I remember people saying the demo units at MWSF had 10.5.2 or not.
-The eject button doesn't do anything... than I can figure...
-The rotate gesture works well... I haven't watched the demo videos but I could only get it to work in Preview instead of iPhoto

Since there's only two units here I won't hog it... but that's all I've seen so far... very beautiful unit...

arn
Feb 1, 2008, 04:17 PM
xbench of 1.8 SSD

posted by bjdraw (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4875739&postcount=210)

arn
Feb 1, 2008, 04:21 PM
bjdraw (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4875045&postcount=13)

I just hit the Apple store and downloaded the same 10,000 BC 1080p trailer on the 1.8 SSD. Although the CPU wasn't 100% utilized the video did not play back smoothly. I had it set to the fit to window setting.

It was watchable, but by no means smooth. I'd put my money on it being the video card. Also, there were no other apps running at the time, but it wasn't after a clean boot.

mongoos150
Feb 1, 2008, 04:46 PM
-There is a Sudden Motion Sensor

Is this necessary on the SSD model?

richard371
Feb 1, 2008, 04:52 PM
Was the xbench run on power/maximum performance?

Jimmie Geddes
Feb 1, 2008, 05:43 PM
I got my MacBook Air (1.6GHz, 80GB HD) and SuperDrive this morning at the Apple Store in Short Hills, NJ.
I posted unboxing pics to my blog:
http://gadgetsonthego.net/2008/02/macbook-air-unboxing.html

From the second you begin opening the box of the MacBook Air you know you're in for something good. It's packaged in typical Apple fashion, it's in the detaulsl, the box even has soft fabric on the top making sure to cushion the MacBook Air (only Apple would pay this much attention to the box). Enough about the box..

You truly have to hold a MacBook Air in your hand to appreciate what Apple did in terms of design, and making this laptop so thin and solid. Looking at it in pictures, videos, etc. doesn't do it justice. The cool aluminum case feels great, the thinness is unbelievable. For the few hours I've had it I keep closing it, opening it, carrying it, I've said out loud "wow" a few times, it just looks and feels amazing. I'm just in awe of this machine.

The screen is so bright and clear, I have a 17" iMac (1st gen Intel) and the MacBook Air's screen blows it away.

The backlit keyboard "knows" when to come on. The Multi-touch trackpad is much cooler than I thought it would be. It just makes sense to swipe your fingers to go back and forward in apps like Safari. Pinching to zoom is awesome, you can view much more of a webpage without scrolling, or changing the resolution of the screen. iPhoto also is amazing with the Multi-touch trackpad, it's that "wow" feeling when you first did it on the iPhone.

The mono speaker sounds better than I thought it would. My iMac sounds better of course.

Battery life is almost on par with Apple's estimates, it definitely outlasts my previous 12" PowerBook.

Performance wise it feels fast, I think the 2GB of RAM make up for the processor. It does take longer to bootup than my PowerBook or iMac.

All in all, I am extremely happy with my purchase. OS X on something this thin and beautiful is amazing. You just can't help but love holding, carrying, and using the MacBook Air. It almost seems fake.

netdog
Feb 1, 2008, 05:46 PM
It would be great if all posters could make clear what configuration MBA they are reviewing. Thanks and congrats to all who are reviewing their own MBAs!

Cybergypsy
Feb 1, 2008, 05:49 PM
It would be great if all posters could make clear what configuration MBA they are reviewing. Thanks and congrats to all who are reviewing their own MBAs!yes please list your configs

hlcsco
Feb 1, 2008, 06:39 PM
I placed my order the second you could at apple.com. Received my Air yesterday (Thursday) from Fedex.

The packaging was beautiful, and the AIR itself really is amazing. Very beautiful. I know this may sound silly, but it is larger and heavier than I had expected. And I believe I was more sold on the idea, then its actual practicality.

I purchased the standard base model with Apple Care being the only addition I added to my order.

I want to use this AIR for my email, web browsing, and music/video use. The problem is, when I ran the migration assistant, I realized that I was 11 GB over in available space. I tried cutting things down. But realized that this computer just isn't going to work for me. I will be contacting the online store to send it back. I'll just wait until they release a generation of the laptop with more space.

:(

joemarioz
Feb 1, 2008, 06:40 PM
First Impressions:

iPhone-like box
In a Few words: SLIM as Hell
Booting 20-30 secs (80 hd 1.6)
The superdrive works fine
The keyboard is awesome
Backlit good as MBP
Booting programs is regular
Good notebook (still prefer macbook)

Appler
Feb 1, 2008, 06:58 PM
I placed my order the second you could at apple.com. Received my Air yesterday (Thursday) from Fedex.

The packaging was beautiful, and the AIR itself really is amazing. Very beautiful. I know this may sound silly, but it is larger and heavier than I had expected. And I believe I was more sold on the idea, then its actual practicality.

I purchased the standard base model with Apple Care being the only addition I added to my order.

I want to use this AIR for my email, web browsing, and music/video use. The problem is, when I ran the migration assistant, I realized that I was 11 GB over in available space. I tried cutting things down. But realized that this computer just isn't going to work for me. I will be contacting the online store to send it back. I'll just wait until they release a generation of the laptop with more space.

If space is your only nuisance, why dont you get a portable hard drive (lets say 80-120GB since you dont need that much)? I know it will defy the whole purpose of the Air, but remember, this laptop's purposes are few (at least on the fewer side), and not intended as a media powerhouse. I for one, although I am absolutely mesmerized by it, am waiting for the MBP update, as I have the very first one (first switch to intel) and it is time to switch. Just like another reviewer said, it really is the IDEA that is winning you over, not the specs. I read this great article, where the author compared the Air and one of the TZ series side by side, and from an objective point of view, the TZ is alot better in so many ways (of course the key is the OS, which tilts the picture) as a portable device.

ob81
Feb 1, 2008, 07:03 PM

Thanks. My main concern was the space. I had to hold off buying the model until I hear more real life space issues. Other than space, everything else is smooth?

icoffee
Feb 1, 2008, 07:15 PM
xbench of 1.8 SSD

posted by bjdraw (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4875739&postcount=210)

Half the weight, half the speed. Wow, those xbench scores are really low. My imac and macbook scream past those. I understand the "Air" concept, but that isn't very impressive, especially for the price. Thanks for posting that xbench score!

steve31
Feb 1, 2008, 07:18 PM
Anyone here have the SSD drive that can say how much of the hard drive was left when you booted it up for the first time?:confused::D

barefeats
Feb 1, 2008, 07:39 PM
I was looking at the transfer speed ratings on NewEgg for the OCZ 64GB SSD. They rated it as 58MB/s sequential READ and 35MB/s sequential WRITE. In other words, the read speed is quite good. The write speed is average.

The Xbench sequential and random 256K results appear to show the same tendency. The SSD write speed was slightly slower than the HDD, while the read speed 2x to 3X faster.

Of particular interest is the small 4K random results. Note the read speed of the SDD is 20X faster and the write speed is 4X faster than the HDD. That bodes well for virtual memory and Photoshop scratch area since those tend to be vary small block size transfers.

What would really be interesting is to see the results for QuickBench 4.03 from SpeedTools. which measures both sequential and random from 4K to 1MB block sizes. If any of you with access to the MacBook Air with either the HDD or SDD would contact me, I can arrange for you to test with QuickBench at no cost to you in exchange for posting your results here as well as letting me publish the results on BareFeats.com.

iIra
Feb 1, 2008, 07:39 PM
I decided that Apple's advertising claims needed some independent verification, so i got some 10x13 manila envelopes and headed to the local Apple Store. When I pulled the envelope out of my pocket, the employee guarding the table started laughing. As you can see, The MBA does indeed fit inside a manila envelope. I could have closed the envelope, but then you wouldn't know what was inside. For comparison purposes, I tried the envelope on a normal MacBook. The MacBook was certainly thin enough to fit inside, but the last picture shows it crammed in as far as it would go. I don't think I could have closed the envelope. It was a tight squeeze to begin with, though, and probably wouldn't have made a very good commercial.

One other thing I don't think I've seen anyone else mention is that the new multi-touch trackpads are a little screwy. The cursor seemed to jerk around a lot on all three of the store's display models. I made a point of only touching the trackpad with one finger at a time, with nothing else (shirt sleeves, etc.) touching it, and the cursor still jumped around. It made it difficult to open the Apple menu, and I had trouble launching applications from the dock. Hopefully it's something Apple can fix via Software Update soon. Other than that, I don't have anything new to contribute. I agree with most of the other first impressions.

bjdraw
Feb 1, 2008, 08:14 PM
Was the xbench run on power/maximum performance?

Whatever it is set to out of the box. It was plugged in.

Stella
Feb 1, 2008, 09:04 PM
I'm curious:

Can you fit the hard disc and the SSD RAM together or are they exclusive ( one or the other - not both)?

galapogosgill
Feb 1, 2008, 09:04 PM
I went to amazon to post a review of this new macbookair but i couldn't because the forums weren't open yet. i never post reviews but this product is SO $@#%!#$% amazing I couldn't resist.

a perfect blend of pro and macbook. responsive keyboard that lights up, crisp screen. sharp edges with beautiful details. no distractions. A pure portable with everything you need/ nothing you dont.

multi touch is genius, scroll through webpages with double touch, secondary click with double touch.... triple touch swipe through webpages... this is what i have figured thus far.

i dont feel like i need to carry an annoying mouse around with me anymore. quick responsive touch. @#$%@#$ clean mang!

doesnt get hot on your lap... a little but manageable

an engineering feat... i happy to have pioneered this purchase.... if you think you don't need it. like i did, go see it and think... hmm, i know i need a new PB but this ones too expensive, this one provincial, however all that crap you are used to... the cd drive.... OBSOLETE MANG! i just copy crap off my comp, and rip off my works puters. DVDs are out... i have enough already... it is the age of downloads...

anyway... i hope this explains the sheer giddyness of my experience thus far... a couple of hours... i bought it down on prince ST. GO GET YOURS:)

clayj
Feb 1, 2008, 09:05 PM
Well, I don't actually have my 1.8/SSD MBA yet (it's still en route from Shanghai), but I drove over to the Apple Store at SouthPark earlier this evening (they had 4 demo models out, but none available for sale). Here are my first impressions:

The 1.8/SSD seems a bit faster than my old 2.16 CD MBP, which also had 2 GB of RAM. Windows were snappier and apps launched very quickly. The multi-touch pad is really easy to use. The trackpad button could stand to be a hair taller, but otherwise worked well.

The machine is utterly silent, like an iPhone. The only warmth I detected was on the underside of the left side of the machine, where the CPU is.

Screen is glossy, but surprisingly not as annoying as I've found glossy screens in the past. Maybe it's because of the backlit LCD.

Ran a few 720p movie trailers off the QuickTime site (WALL-E, Dark Knight, and the new Star Trek trailer), and they were utterly smooth even in full-screen mode. I think as long as you don't throw 1080-line video at the MBA, it should be fine.

Keyboard felt identical to the Apple keyboards included with the new iMac and Mac Pro... throw is identical, as is spacing. Backlighting was not terribly bright when I blocked the light sensor (which is by the iSight camera), but then again we were in a well-lit store.

Looks like about 35 GB free on the SSD with the stock software config. Reinstalling OS X from the original disk and omitting language files, printer driver files, and unnecessary apps like iDVD, iMovie, iWeb, and GarageBand is definitely recommended.

The MBA is quite sturdy. I didn't try to flex it, but when it was closed, it felt like a solid slab of aluminum. Machine went from sleep mode to fully-awake in just a couple of seconds. Going to sleep was just as fast.

All-in-all, I was supremely impressed. Can't wait to get mine when it arrives next week.

One extra note: The manager I spoke to told me that they are being very careful with who they recommend the MBA to. They are quite conscious of the fact that the MBA is not for everyone and that they should err on the side of caution (e.g., MB or MBP) if a person isn't 100% sure the MBA is what they need... they don't want to make any customers upset by selling them a machine that doesn't do all of what they want or need.

Hankster
Feb 1, 2008, 09:40 PM
I decided that Apple's advertising claims needed some independent verification, so i got some 10x13 manila envelopes and headed to the local Apple Store. When I pulled the envelope out of my pocket, the employee guarding the table started laughing. As you can see, The MBA does indeed fit inside a manila envelope. I could have closed the envelope, but then you wouldn't know what was inside. For comparison purposes, I tried the envelope on a normal MacBook. The MacBook was certainly thin enough to fit inside, but the last picture shows it crammed in as far as it would go. I don't think I could have closed the envelope. It was a tight squeeze to begin with, though, and probably wouldn't have made a very good commercial.

One other thing I don't think I've seen anyone else mention is that the new multi-touch trackpads are a little screwy. The cursor seemed to jerk around a lot on all three of the store's display models. I made a point of only touching the trackpad with one finger at a time, with nothing else (shirt sleeves, etc.) touching it, and the cursor still jumped around. It made it difficult to open the Apple menu, and I had trouble launching applications from the dock. Hopefully it's something Apple can fix via Software Update soon. Other than that, I don't have anything new to contribute. I agree with most of the other first impressions.

Thanks for the photos.

barefeats
Feb 1, 2008, 09:45 PM
I'm hoping to get my hands on the 1.8 w/SSD early next week. I realize compromises had to be made to keep the weight down and the thickness thin.

One concern I have is the keyboard. If it's like the MacBook Pro. I'm in. If it's like the MacBook's "chicklet" keyboard, I'm not going to be happy -- backlighting notwithstanding.

So what do you all think of the MacBook Air keyboard?

aiongiant
Feb 1, 2008, 10:09 PM
I'm hoping to get my hands on the 1.8 w/SSD early next week. I realize compromises had to be made to keep the weight down and the thickness thin.

One concern I have is the keyboard. If it's like the MacBook Pro. I'm in. If it's like the MacBook's "chicklet" keyboard, I'm not going to be happy -- backlighting notwithstanding.

So what do you all think of the MacBook Air keyboard?

i heard it looks and feels exactly like the macbook keyboard

chp5592
Feb 1, 2008, 10:10 PM
I have used the machine now for few hours and here are some thoughts.

The build quality is incredible. Everything lines up beautifully without any flex or bend. It feels solid but light.

The trackpad is wonderful to use. Nice texture and nice space for gestures (which work great). The trackpad button is quiet and broad. Good feedback without any of the cheap click feel (i.e. my Dell)

The keyboard is now lit while I type this. I didn't expect the light to shine through the edges of the keys. Is it this way with the MBP? It would be nice if only the key caps lit up. The key light seems too bright. I don't see an obvious way to lower the brightness on the preference panel. Help anyone?

Right now, I'm copying two large folders from a 120gb external Western Digital Passport powered only by the Air USB. The fan is audible right now (probably because the massive file transfer). It is a low whir type sound. When the fan is off, I don't hear anything. I don't hear the hard drive (alas, iPod).

All applications seem to launch within two bounces. Garage band did take a while to load initially (I read that somewhere). I have had very little beachball action (better than my 2.2ghz core 2 iMac actually for some reason)..... If you are a normal user like most are, I think the 1.6/80 works very well.

I am about to install Parallels now and I'll post my impressions soon.

Overall, the machine is a delight to use. Having used mostly Dell laptops before, I must say the difference is like comparing a Palm Smartphone versus the iPhone. Intelligent and elegant design does matter.

clayj
Feb 1, 2008, 10:11 PM
i heard it looks and feels exactly like the macbook keyboardThat's correct. MB keyboard = MBA keyboard = new Apple wireless keyboard.

sushi
Feb 1, 2008, 10:23 PM
<Review Snip>
One extra note: The manager I spoke to told me that they are being very careful with who they recommend the MBA to. They are quite conscious of the fact that the MBA is not for everyone and that they should err on the side of caution (e.g., MB or MBP) if a person isn't 100% sure the MBA is what they need... they don't want to make any customers upset by selling them a machine that doesn't do all of what they want or need.
Thanks for the review.

This policy sounds good. Glad to see Apple being proactive here.

qpid
Feb 1, 2008, 10:24 PM
The keyboard is now lit while I type this. I didn't expect the light to shine through the edges of the keys. Is it this way with the MBP? It would be nice if only the key caps lit up. The key light seems too bright. I don't see an obvious way to lower the brightness on the preference panel. Help anyone?

Try System Preferences, Keyboard & Mouse, and under the keyboard tab there should be a brightness level. At least this is how it works on the mbp

gss7881
Feb 1, 2008, 10:36 PM
Did anybody install parallels yet? did you install vista or XP? I am trying to decide which way to go, specially now that MS said it is ok to install the basic. I just have two programs that need windows .... Argghhh :rolleyes:

My MBA ETA 2/6!!!!

chp5592
Feb 1, 2008, 10:39 PM
Try System Preferences, Keyboard & Mouse, and under the keyboard tab there should be a brightness level. At least this is how it works on the mbp

Funny, the Air doesn't have that option. Just time to shut down key light for idle, and on and off function. Hmmmm.

EDdoc
Feb 1, 2008, 10:50 PM
Anyone here have the SSD drive that can say how much of the hard drive was left when you booted it up for the first time?:confused::D

There was 38 GB left in the Apple store MBA 1.8 64 SSD

mich73
Feb 1, 2008, 10:58 PM

The F5 and F6 keys adjust the keyboard brightness. :)

chp5592
Feb 1, 2008, 11:15 PM
:mad:The F5 and F6 keys adjust the keyboard brightness. :)

Thanks!! That works..... I knew they didn't forget...

desenso
Feb 1, 2008, 11:16 PM
Standard configuration, 80GB hard drive.

THE NEGATIVES

Mine isn't completely "even." If you press down the bottom left edge of the computer it "rocks" slightly. This has nothing to do with the Magsafe or anything else.. the computer just simply isn't even. There is no visible bending, and the feet seem to be the same height, but it tips over nonetheless. It has already gotten less severe after a day, though, so maybe it needs to just be worn in.

My trackpad button clicks really loudly.

THE POSITIVES

Opening and closing the lid on this thing is unlike any other Apple laptop ever. It's a pleasurable experience in and of itself. Closing it, in particular, is fun.

It's gorgeous. And thin. And light. What others have said is true: you need to see this thing in person to understand just how glorious it is.

The black keyboard / Aluminum body looks way better in person than it did on any of the pictures I found.

The screen is extremely vibrant.

It feels plenty zippy. I haven't done anything intensive yet, nor do I plan to, but as far as using Safari and Pages goes, this thing is fine. It's faster than I thought it would be. Would I want to run Photoshop and Parallels at the same time while encoding a video with Visualhub? Hells no. But that's not what this thing was designed to do. And frankly, if it really had to, it probably could do it.. but I have a feeling that when the ram on this thing gets filled up it will grind to an absolute halt.

jameskohn
Feb 1, 2008, 11:48 PM

Picked up an SSD at the SoHo NYC store earlier this evening. I had already sync'd contacts and calendars when I saw your post, but I haven't added any applications, other data, etc.

Right now the SSD:
Capacity: 55.58GB
Available: 38.11 GB
Used: 17.47 GB on disk

These seem like the very same numbers I saw when I first turned it on.

aiongiant
Feb 1, 2008, 11:55 PM
you can prob get rid of the extra languages and extra printer drivers that you prob will never use those take alot of space

chp5592
Feb 1, 2008, 11:57 PM
Just transferred my virtual machine from my iMac. I really don't see any difference between the two. Parallels/Windows XP runs fairly snappy. Processor utilization seems on par with my iMac.

So bottom line, no problems running Parallels/Windows XP.

JosephEsquivel
Feb 2, 2008, 12:15 AM
Picked up an SSD at the SoHo NYC store earlier this evening. I had already sync'd contacts and calendars when I saw your post, but I haven't added any applications, other data, etc.

Right now the SSD:

so on a 64 GB flash drive only 55 is usable? that sounds crappy to me

chp5592
Feb 2, 2008, 12:23 AM
Few early problems noticed.

The keyboard lighting intensity seems to reset to maximum for no good reason. Any one else?

Also, because the bottom edges are so thin (thus relatively sharp), if you have your wrist resting on the edges, it is somewhat irritating.

steve31
Feb 2, 2008, 12:31 AM
There was 38 GB left in the Apple store MBA 1.8 64 SSDthank you. Should be able to get 40ish with removing printer drivers and languages.

larryj
Feb 2, 2008, 01:25 AM
Also, because the bottom edges are so thin (thus relatively sharp), if you have your wrist resting on the edges, it is somewhat irritating.

This is my only complaint so far. I'm not sure if I'll get used to it or learn to pick up my wrists a bit.

profiteor
Feb 2, 2008, 02:34 AM
so on a 64 GB flash drive only 55 is usable? that sounds crappy to me

I wonder if there's some diagnostic software loaded on the drive itself in a partition, like the Apple Hardware Test. Does anyone with one of these see what Disk Utility says in terms of partitions?

nagromme
Feb 2, 2008, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the reviews, all! I hope to see one tomorrow and then make my decision.

you can prob get rid of the extra languages and extra printer drivers that you prob will never use those take alot of space

Yes--there are utilities for that (and even 3rd-party apps can be slimmed down by extracting their extra languages). I probably won't mess with shareware utilities though--I intend to simply re-install the OS fresh as soon as I get my Air, and at that time deselect the unwanted printers and languages.

The keyboard lighting intensity seems to reset to maximum for no good reason. Any one else?

Does it respond to the ambient light sensor pref--the same pref you choose under Displays for auto-dimming? Maybe try turning that off and it will stop auto-adjusting the key brightness?

Opening and closing the lid on this thing is unlike any other Apple laptop ever. It's a pleasurable experience in and of itself. Closing it, in particular, is fun.

However, opening it offers a broader range of capabilities :)

I read this great article, where the author compared the Air and one of the TZ series side by side, and from an objective point of view, the TZ is alot better in so many ways (of course the key is the OS, which tilts the picture) as a portable device.

Let me guess: those TZ advantages did not include speed, screen size, or keyboard :) It has lots o' ports and extras though (I think it even comes with an external HD). If what you want from an ultraportable is to carry a lot of peripherals with it--or if you use optical discs a lot and don't mind a slower CPU/GPU and tiny screen, then the TZ is indeed tempting (other than the OS). It was certainly the model to beat in my mind. I was hoping for narrower-but-thick like the TZ, actually, but the Air's volume is smaller than the TZ, and with the bags I have, thin will work better anyway.

boy52
Feb 2, 2008, 03:46 AM
Lovin the Air. Although, mine is acting very strange with the keyboard backlight. It seems that when I have the lights in the room turned ON, that's when the keyboard backlight activates. When I turn the room lights OFF, the keyboard backlight goes away! Anyone else experiencing the same problem..?

Cybergypsy
Feb 2, 2008, 03:50 AM
:mad:

Thanks!! That works..... I knew they didn't forget...

get a program called lab tick it the best for light on the keyboard....

heatmiser
Feb 2, 2008, 03:59 AM
Can someone run Geekbench and report their scores?

profiteor
Feb 2, 2008, 04:28 AM
Lovin the Air. Although, mine is acting very strange with the keyboard backlight. It seems that when I have the lights in the room turned ON, that's when the keyboard backlight activates. When I turn the room lights OFF, the keyboard backlight goes away! Anyone else experiencing the same problem..?

I had that happen to a Powerbook G4 a number of years ago. I had to muck with it/calibrate it manually by holding my hand over the sensor, setting brightness, and then uncovering the sensor. I don't have my MBAir yet, it's on a plane... so I can't vouch that this procedure works at all for this.

MacRumorUser
Feb 2, 2008, 04:34 AM

sounds like it's stuck in reverse :o

boy52
Feb 2, 2008, 05:35 AM
I had that happen to a Powerbook G4 a number of years ago. I had to muck with it/calibrate it manually by holding my hand over the sensor, setting brightness, and then uncovering the sensor. I don't have my MBAir yet, it's on a plane... so I can't vouch that this procedure works at all for this.

Thanks, that's exactly what I did and it seems to be working now. How odd!

barefeats
Feb 2, 2008, 05:53 AM
Right now the SSD:

That's better than I thought. Assuming you decide to keep 10GB free for virtual memory, that leaves you with 28 GB for storing your documents, tunes, movies, pictures, etc. Not a lot by today's standards but doable.

gkovler
Feb 2, 2008, 07:33 AM
i think the machine is great. the screen is very very bright making it easier to see than my 15" powerbook. it's quick and it's LIGHT!! but...i need to install some software and the remote disc won't work. i called apple and got a guy who was excited as this was his first macbook air call. but he knew nothing. he tried emailing a "product specialist" who also couldn't help and they put me in the hold line for a specialist and i gave up after 30 minutes. will try again today but this is a huge disappointment.

chp5592
Feb 2, 2008, 07:44 AM
i think the machine is great. the screen is very very bright making it easier to see than my 15" powerbook. it's quick and it's LIGHT!! but...i need to install some software and the remote disc won't work. i called apple and got a guy who was excited as this was his first macbook air call. but he knew nothing. he tried emailing a "product specialist" who also couldn't help and they put me in the hold line for a specialist and i gave up after 30 minutes. will try again today but this is a huge disappointment.

may be dumb question but dId you follow these instructions?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307317

Once you get the remote disc installed on your desktop, click remote disc on the air and click the upper right hand button "ask to use".

Mine worked great for installs last night from my iMac dvd Drive

gkovler
Feb 2, 2008, 10:27 AM
thanks for the thought but after another 45 on the phone with apple, it's been determined that i have a faulty mba. so i will go get another one today but....oops there are no more in the store so i iwill have to wait. i guess this can happen with any product but it's truly a bummer.

designed
Feb 2, 2008, 10:34 AM
thanks for the thought but after another 45 on the phone with apple, it's been determined that i have a faulty mba. so i will go get another one today but....oops there are no more in the store so i iwill have to wait. i guess this can happen with any product but it's truly a bummer.

Sorry to hear that :/ Happened to me with my first Mac ever, had it for four hours and when I came back from business the display adapter had decided to go haywire and garbled my screen. It was a 20" iMac Core Duo and one of the first units around so getting a replacement took a week.

"Nice".

Jsn
Feb 2, 2008, 10:42 AM
I was lucky enough to snag a 1.6/HHD in a store yesterday, and quite frankly I'm amazed. The MacBook Air really has to be experienced. It has a feel unlike any other computer--light but solid, like a precision instrument rather than a hunk of plastic. The rounded taper of the closed unit makes it wonderfully comfortable to carry. And its thinness really can't be conveyed by pictures. It's as thin as the lid of my old iBook G4--at its thickest point. The tapering makes one perceive it as even thinner, and introduces an organic warmness to counterbalance the aluminum. Quite honestly, the MBA doesn't feel like a flashy design statement. It feels like it's designed to be used ubiquitously, to be picked up and casually carried everywhere, like a magazine.

I'm a writer, and I need two things: a usably-sized, high-contrast screen and a responsive full-sized keyboard. The MBA knocks both out of the park. The backlit LED display is extremely eye-friendly, and the keyboard has a healthy degree of "travel" (depth of key depression) for ease of touch-typing. It's chiclet-style like all Apple keyboards these days, but the keys sit a tad higher than on the desktop keyboards. The black keys, which I didn't like when I saw the MBA in photos, seem just right in person.

Technosnobs can complain all they want about how the MBA can't, say, edit video on the fly. I don't care. Other machines can't do what I want to do, which is to be able to write and research productively anytime, anyplace. I can't emphasize enough how much the form factor and weight puts this computer into an entirely differently category.

A few observations:

1.) The click bar is a little small. I'm used to thumping it with my thumb, and this one requires more aiming than I'm used to. But the great workaround is to enable single-touch-as-click in the trackpad, which makes the whole trackpad into a click bar.

2.) The multitouch is more convenient than I had expected. I'm already loving the ease of moving between and within pages with simple swipes. It's different than on the iPhone, but easily mastered.

3.) The thin edge is a little too thin, as far as my forearms are concerned. I'm used to resting them on the free space of the keyboard side, but with the MBA that means you're scraping them on the edge. It's a minor irritation, and my ergonomics are probably better served by lifting them anyway.

4.) One thing I haven't heard commented on before: the MacBook Air really floats! At least, that's the impression one gets. Because of the tapering, when it sits on a surface you don't see the point of contact, so it looks like it's levitating.

All in all, I couldn't be more pleased. If you haven't snagged yours yet, know that it's worth the wait.

xraydoc
Feb 2, 2008, 11:40 AM
Got to play with several MBAs yesterday at my local Apple store. They're very nice machines. A few observations:

•The three machines I handled were all quite warm to the touch. Not hot, but warm. But definitely warmer than the higher-clock speed MacBooks on the same table.

•The HDD models were pretty darn slow to boot. Not exactly a benchmark, but at least provides some info on how the HDD performs.

•The SSD model booted faster, but still slower than the black MacBook sitting right next to it.

•Keyboard feels just like the MacBooks, which I like. Something to note though - the individual letters on the keys themselves were not quite as contrasty as the white lettering on the black MacBook's keys. Even in the light, they're not as easy to see as the MacBook's. Didn't get to try out the backlighting.

•The big trackpad is nice, and the button has a nice, solid feel to it.

•Light and slim. Oh, did I say light and slim?

•The screen pops on instantly, which is interesting to see (since my laptop uses a regular CCF lamp). The screen appeared about 15-20% brighter than the MacBook sitting next to it.

Its a very slick machine. But in the end, I chose to buy a MacBook instead.

ubercool
Feb 2, 2008, 12:38 PM
Got to play with several MBAs yesterday at my local Apple store. They're very nice machines. A few observations:

•The SSD model booted faster, but still slower than the black MacBook sitting right next to it.

Its a very slick machine. But in the end, I chose to buy a MacBook instead.

I think something must have been wrong with that MBA. There is no way a hard disk Mac boots faster than an SSD-equipped MBA. My Sony TZ boots in 45 seconds, at least 15 seconds faster than a 2.2-2.4 C2D with a conventional drive. :)

ciparis
Feb 2, 2008, 12:53 PM
Just ran a few tests on both a 1.8 SSD and an iMac 2.4 in SF Apple store.

Cold-launch applications: reboot, then once the machine loads, launch two apps and time them.

Safari and iTunes (boot machine, drag itunes over near safari, click safari then itunes, time to the point where itunes window appears) --
Air: 4 seconds
iMac: 9-11 seconds

Subsequent launches (after clicking the itunes store in itunes before quitting it, so it loads that each time) -- measure to the point where the store re-loads after clicking safari then iTunes:
Air: 3.3 seconds
iMac 3.3 seconds

Reboot (click restart, time until the in-store desktop loads): iMac 1:11, Air 40 seconds.

Boot: Both just over 30 seconds (sorry, lost track of these results or I'd be more precise; they were roughly comparable).

Cold-launch four apps and wait for icons to stop bouncing (iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, and GarageBand). iMac: 44 seconds. Air: 14 seconds.

jjd
Feb 2, 2008, 01:18 PM
Just transferred my virtual machine from my iMac. I really don't see any difference between the two. Parallels/Windows XP runs fairly snappy. Processor utilization seems on par with my iMac.

So bottom line, no problems running Parallels/Windows XP.

Thanks for the post. Just to clarify: when you say you "transferred for vm" are you saying you just dragged the whole installation (Parallels and Windows) straight over to the MBA, without "installing" windows as such?

tks

ciparis
Feb 2, 2008, 01:52 PM
More tests, MBP vs MBA this time:

Launch 4 apps after booting (iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand).

MacBook Pro (about 1:30)
http://qik.com/video/14849

MacBook Air (11 seconds):
http://qik.com/video/14862

NC MacGuy
Feb 2, 2008, 02:01 PM

Imovie, Idvd and Garageband were the first things I trashed on mine. Way big for small hard drive and no built-in optical. This is pretty much a Word, Mail, Powerpoint, Excel, Safari machine. It performs quite admirably with those tasks as I'm sure it was designed. It did take 12 hrs 43 minutes to use wireless migration asst. from old MB transferring 51G...

Jimmie Geddes
Feb 2, 2008, 02:07 PM
Imovie, Idvd and Garageband were the first things I trashed on mine. Way big for small hard drive and no built-in optical. This is pretty much a Word, Mail, Powerpoint, Excel, Safari machine. It performs quite admirably with those tasks as I'm sure it was designed. It did take 12 hrs 43 minutes to use wireless migration asst. from old MB transferring 51G...

I used Monolingual to remove languages and got 3.2GB of space back. Did you just put iMovie, iDVD and GaragBand right into the trash to remove them? I know a lot of people are re-isntalling OS X on their MacBook Airs to get space back, can you just trash those apps to get the space back?

Slither
Feb 2, 2008, 02:29 PM

Was the MBA the SSD or HDD model?

jayducharme
Feb 2, 2008, 02:31 PM
MacBook Pro (about 1:30) == MacBook Air (11 seconds)

It seemed that the MBP had projects in progress that had to load. iMovie looked like it had something about snowboarding. Whereas the Air seemed to open the applications blank. iDVD simply came up with its "new/open project" screen. That might have affected the launch speed.

mobileops
Feb 2, 2008, 02:52 PM
Got my MBA last night and it has been just a pleasure. I was scared about dead LCD pixels or the trackpad not clicking properly (problems I have had in the past), but like the more recent purchases I have made, this thing has really been perfect. Or nearly perfect. I noticed on the take-a-part posted on macrumors thay they bent the bezel when doing so due to the very sticky double sided tape holding the bezel down. For some reason, my bezel, immediately adjacent to the Macbook air logo to the right, has a small, very small seperation from the LCD panel. It big enough only to pass a sheet or two of paper in between, but none the less its not flush with the LCD panel as is the rest of the bezel. Does anyone else have this problem?

I know its not the LCD, when the computer is off the LCD from all angles is perfect. I can depress the bezel to push it in but I was afraid of doing damage to the LCD by pushing too hard. Its also pretty hard to notice, and you can't tell when looking head on, only when starring down the side or top of the unit. Should I bring this in to have it looked at, or just deal?

JB

daveL
Feb 2, 2008, 03:52 PM
That's fun, I have a 17" pre-Santa Rosa C2D MBP and a 15" Santa Rosa C2D MBP, and neither has a brightness option for the keyboard backlight.
BTW, the 17" in 10.5 and the 15" is 10.4.

Starfall
Feb 2, 2008, 03:54 PM
Screen is glossy, but surprisingly not as annoying as I've found glossy screens in the past. Maybe it's because of the backlit LCD.

I just got back from the Flatiron Crossing store in CO (where they have 4 MacBook Air demo units) and noticed the same thing. The glass screen, though glossier that the matte screen of a MacBook Pro, seems no where near as glossy as the screens on the latest iMacs and MacBooks.

mashinhead
Feb 2, 2008, 03:56 PM
So now that all the stores have them i just went by my local apple store to finally check one out. So I thought i'd give me two cents. Overall, an I'm speaking objectively here, I wasn't that impressed. I liked the trackpad after i got used to it. The only thing that bothered me was the one click, I like that feature a lot, but i found that it would often execute when i didn't want it to. Worked to well I guess.

The other thing i like alot was the design. The screen is bright, the aluminum looks like its a little lighter in shade than what is traditionally used. So it looks bright. I liked the keyboard, and mostly i like the way it looked and felt when you were using it (ie open). Bright fresh, and clean. And the magnetic latch made it open effortlessly and smoothly.

What I wasn't impressed with though is it's selling point. It wasn't a compact notebook at all. Yes it is thin, but i found myself not caring about that after using it. Its as wide as any other notebook and when you open it and use it, the thinness isn't noticeable at all. Imagine the only time you would notice how thin it is, is when you put it in a bag.

My conclusion is just to wait for the design elements to be put in a MBP.

Malcster
Feb 2, 2008, 04:09 PM
Its as wide as any other notebook and when you open it and use it, the thinness isn't noticeable at all. Imagine the only time you would notice how thin it is, is when you put it in a bag.

But isn't that the whole point?

Its thin and light to make it ideal to carry around with you, yet when you open it, you get a great screen and a full keyboard?

Not having a go at all as i agree with you to an extent, i just think we see it from different sides :)

Catch
Feb 2, 2008, 04:22 PM
Its as wide as any other notebook and when you open it and use it, the thinness isn't noticeable at all. Imagine the only time you would notice how thin it is, is when you put it in a bag.

I hope you have a chance to reflect upon the first paragraph. Portability is the whole point.

The day they can make the MBP as portable as the MBA I will be the first to upgrade...

Regards,

C

Coconutsport
Feb 2, 2008, 04:24 PM
What I wasn't impressed with though is it's selling point. It wasn't a compact notebook at all. Yes it is thin, but i found myself not caring about that after using it. Its as wide as any other notebook and when you open it and use it, the thinness isn't noticeable at all. Imagine the only time you would notice how thin it is, is when you put it in a bag.

Is this really a complaint? Isn't when you carry an ultraportable the only time you want it to "seem" small? I would consider it to be excellent design when you forget its an ultraportable when you use it. I saw it in person today, and am trying to figure out financing one to purchase.. Good job Apple!!

rvjames
Feb 2, 2008, 04:29 PM
I bought a 1.6 mhz. 80 gigabyte drive MacBook Air and it arrived yesterday.

I used the migration assistant to transfer files and applications from my MacBook Pro using the wireless utility. That took about 8 hours (20 gigs. of data). I then used the wireless disk utility to create a disk image of Windows and OSX to mount to Parallels so I could run windows on my machine. The windows virtual machine was set at 25 gigs.

After removing some unneeded files I had 30 gigs of free space.

The machine is quiet, extremely light, and I like the keyboard better than my MacBook Pro.

All in all it is a great 3 lb. Mac.... and oh so cool looking.
:)

BJ

dexpot
Feb 2, 2008, 04:37 PM
Could you record the fan noise? Would be a great contribution to the community.

thesdx
Feb 2, 2008, 04:38 PM
I just got back from the Apple store. It's MUCH MUCH thinner than I thought it would be! The pictures on Apple.com don't do it any justice. The SSD version was very fast, and the screen seemed to be really bright. I brought a manila envelope with me, and it fits perfectly. Some guy was trying to get it in, and set off the alarm. Multi-touch works surprisingly well, especially the scrolling and rotating. I made a video showing a size comparison to the iPod touch, the manila envelope, and multi-touch gestures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehxv3S8Pejg

iViking
Feb 2, 2008, 04:40 PM
I was lucky enough to snag a 1.6/HHD in a store yesterday, and quite frankly I'm amazed. The MacBook Air really has to be experienced. It has a feel unlike any other computer--light but solid, like a precision instrument rather than a hunk of plastic. The rounded taper of the closed unit makes it wonderfully comfortable to carry. And its thinness really can't be conveyed by pictures. It's as thin as the lid of my old iBook G4--at its thickest point. The tapering makes one perceive it as even thinner, and introduces an organic warmness to counterbalance the aluminum. Quite honestly, the MBA doesn't feel like a flashy design statement. It feels like it's designed to be used ubiquitously, to be picked up and casually carried everywhere, like a magazine.

I'm a writer, and I need two things: a usably-sized, high-contrast screen and a responsive full-sized keyboard. The MBA knocks both out of the park. The backlit LED display is extremely eye-friendly, and the keyboard has a healthy degree of "travel" (depth of key depression) for ease of touch-typing. It's chiclet-style like all Apple keyboards these days, but the keys sit a tad higher than on the desktop keyboards. The black keys, which I didn't like when I saw the MBA in photos, seem just right in person.

Technosnobs can complain all they want about how the MBA can't, say, edit video on the fly. I don't care. Other machines can't do what I want to do, which is to be able to write and research productively anytime, anyplace. I can't emphasize enough how much the form factor and weight puts this computer into an entirely differently category.

A few observations:

1.) The click bar is a little small. I'm used to thumping it with my thumb, and this one requires more aiming than I'm used to. But the great workaround is to enable single-touch-as-click in the trackpad, which makes the whole trackpad into a click bar.

2.) The multitouch is more convenient than I had expected. I'm already loving the ease of moving between and within pages with simple swipes. It's different than on the iPhone, but easily mastered.

3.) The thin edge is a little too thin, as far as my forearms are concerned. I'm used to resting them on the free space of the keyboard side, but with the MBA that means you're scraping them on the edge. It's a minor irritation, and my ergonomics are probably better served by lifting them anyway.

4.) One thing I haven't heard commented on before: the MacBook Air really floats! At least, that's the impression one gets. Because of the tapering, when it sits on a surface you don't see the point of contact, so it looks like it's levitating.

All in all, I couldn't be more pleased. If you haven't snagged yours yet, know that it's worth the wait.

I tried one out at the Apple store last night and did not like it, ultimately. The screen seems a little brighter/better than the Macbook, but as for typing, (especially if you're a writer and will do so a lot), it doesn't seem good at all.

For example, I agree that the click bar is tiny. I mean it's a tiny little strip. I couldn't even click it with my thumb very well. I had to look down and poke it with my index finger. That alone would interrupt my writing, big time.

And then the design itself. The moulded carved away diminutive size thing is nice looking with the parts that slope thin outward and slope thicker toward the bulk of the computer, but the whole computer rocked forward when I put too much weight at the front of it.

Yes, it looks small and cool, but if you try to open the lid the whole thing rocks back. It didn't feel as stable or solid, physically, as your average rectangle brick laptop.

I don't see it working for full-time writers, frankly, as well as the Macbook.

It seems to me to be the computer, as others have stated, for stock traders and CEOs who want to glance over their powerpoint presentation on the airplane before landing.

NC MacGuy
Feb 2, 2008, 04:40 PM
So now that all the stores have them i just went by my local apple store to finally check one out. So I thought i'd give me two cents. Overall, an I'm speaking objectively here, I wasn't that impressed. I liked the trackpad after i got used to it. The only thing that bothered me was the one click, I like that feature a lot, but i found that it would often execute when i didn't want it to. Worked to well I guess.

The other thing i like alot was the design. The screen is bright, the aluminum looks like its a little lighter in shade than what is traditionally used. So it looks bright. I liked the keyboard, and mostly i like the way it looked and felt when you were using it (ie open). Bright fresh, and clean. And the magnetic latch made it open effortlessly and smoothly.

They aren't for everybody - that's why there's the MB & MBP. I'll keep my MBP and an Imac for home & office use. The MBAir is perfect for 90% of my needs much to my surprise. Travel a lot, mainly use office app.'s, mail and safari and am getting older. The 13" screen is easy to see. I'm getting woefully weak and needed the cut in weight. I rarely used the optical except for loading software, the ethernet barely, usb a bunch, firewire only for migration and large file transfers and never a modem. It will hit its target market nicely. It will be a pleasure to slide it in and out of my bag as I go through airline security this Monday, Thursday and Friday. That 2lbs wt. savings will really show as I'm trying to juggle the laptop into its bag, putting on shoes and grabbing my coat simultaneously.

NC MacGuy
Feb 2, 2008, 04:43 PM

A few observations:

My sentiments exactly!

blouis79
Feb 2, 2008, 05:17 PM
[...]
The day they can make the MBP as portable as the MBA I will be the first to upgrade...
[...]

Won't be far off. I presume the only thing missing is a larger screen. MBA Xbench benchmarks quoted earlier are fairly similar to my MBP15 2GHz. SSD drive is nearly twice as fast.

OpenGL graphics scores extremely low 18 for MBA vs 143 MBP.

Battery life is quoted to be way better than MBP (which is back in wintel territory at realistic 2+ hours. I used to love the 4-5 hours battery life on iBook PPC.

I'm sold on form factor and battery life.

Can someone post on real world battery life for MBA and photos of MBA external optical drive?

eric55lv
Feb 2, 2008, 05:19 PM
I did not buy it but I saw it at the Apple store yeasterday and is really really thin thinner than I thought it would be

kiko10
Feb 2, 2008, 06:20 PM
i have a question for you guys.

i want to buy a mba but here's the thing. its my first mac and i would hve to put windows on it. can it be done on the 64ssd one???? i want an ultra portable laptop and i dont want another pc. so im buying a mac either way.
ill only use it for surfing, watching tv series some music and some video converting for my ps3 :)

and also can i buy the time capsule thing for storage or is it only for backup??
thanks

desenso
Feb 2, 2008, 06:26 PM
So the biggest emerging annoyance that I have with this thing is now the fan. It runs at 5000 to 6000rpm almost all the time, even when the temps are otherwise low and there's little to no load on the computer. And for such a slight computer, this thing can put out some serious fan noise.

blackgmc
Feb 2, 2008, 06:46 PM
So the biggest emerging annoyance that I have with this thing is now the fan. It runs at 5000 to 6000rpm almost all the time, even when the temps are otherwise low and there's little to no load on the computer. And for such a slight computer, this thing can put out some serious fan noise.

I only hear the fan noise is when its plug in and charging. other wise the fans run at 2500 RPM's.

Cybergypsy
Feb 2, 2008, 07:24 PM

I also had a macbook like that drove me nuts, get it check, there was something wrong with my macbook

mich73
Feb 2, 2008, 07:25 PM

I've had mine plugged in for the last 2 hrs and the fan hasn't turned on once. I have it placed on a flat surface (table). I wonder if anyone is having the same problems you are?

I remember when I first got my MacBook, I had issues with the fan (the infamous moo problem). Mine was fixed with a software update.

blackgmc
Feb 2, 2008, 07:38 PM
I've had mine plugged in for the last 2 hrs and the fan hasn't turned on once. I have it placed on a flat surface (table). I wonder if anyone is having the same problems you are?

I remember when I first got my MacBook, I had issues with the fan (the infamous moo problem). Mine was fixed with a software update.

Did you battery have at least a 50% charge when you you plug it in for 2 hours?

NC MacGuy
Feb 2, 2008, 08:21 PM
I'm not sure if this is a bug or me deleting something in my library to save space that I shouldn't have but I can't run the disk utility 'verify permissions' or 'repair permissions.' Anyone else try? Mine hangs w. 1 minute remaining and fan kicks on high until I restart. 1.6 - 80

NC MacGuy
Feb 2, 2008, 08:28 PM

That's pretty weird. Mine hardly turned on at all until I tried running disk utilities than it cranked until restart.

bxs
Feb 2, 2008, 08:53 PM
I'm not sure if this is a bug or me deleting something in my library to save space that I shouldn't have but I can't run the disk utility 'verify permissions' or 'repair permissions.' Anyone else try? Mine hangs w. 1 minute remaining and fan kicks on high until I restart. 1.6 - 80

The DU does take a while compared to Tiger. It will stick at the "1 min to go" mark for several minutes and then take off. Is it a bug? Maybe from a progress point of view but DU will finish doing the permission check if you give it some time.

NC MacGuy
Feb 2, 2008, 09:09 PM
The DU does take a while compared to Tiger. It will stick at the "1 min to go" mark for several minutes and then take off. Is it a bug? Maybe from a progress point of view but DU will finish doing the permission check if you give it some time.

Thanks, I shall try it again. Last time it hung for about 10-15 minutes before I cancelled.

desenso
Feb 2, 2008, 09:12 PM
I really think my fan issue is software. A restart will generally make the fan go away, until they start up again. I wouldn't be surprised of we get an Air-specific software update in a few weeks.

jameskohn
Feb 2, 2008, 09:36 PM
Won't be far off. I presume the only thing missing is a larger screen. MBA Xbench benchmarks quoted earlier are fairly similar to my MBP15 2GHz. SSD drive is nearly twice as fast.

OpenGL graphics scores extremely low 18 for MBA vs 143 MBP.

Battery life is quoted to be way better than MBP (which is back in wintel territory at realistic 2+ hours. I used to love the 4-5 hours battery life on iBook PPC.

I'm sold on form factor and battery life.

Can someone post on real world battery life for MBA and photos of MBA external optical drive?

I've had my 1.8 SSD for almost 24 hours now. The battery just doesn't seem to budge: web surfing, email, etc for well over an hour now and it still indicates 4:53 remaining.

The external optical drive was one of the big surprises. It's smaller than I expected. Picture 2 CD jewel cases on top of each other, and that's the size of it. It's elegant looking, quiet, and weighs nothing. It fits very nicely and easily in a side pouch on my carry bag. For $99, it would be crazy not to get it, even if it never leaves your desk.

Keyboard is a real joy.

v-ault
Feb 2, 2008, 10:11 PM
Saw it at the apple store today. It looks nice, but the thinness didn't really stick out to me.

The keyboard's pretty nice, as is the trackpad. The magnetic latch on it is pretty nice- opens really easy.

It's not slow at all and it's decent, but I think it lacks longevity. It's a nice looking laptop, but besides the looks, I honestly wasn't very impressed by it. Happy with the blackbook I got instead.

Cybergypsy
Feb 2, 2008, 10:20 PM
Saw it at the apple store today. It looks nice, but the thinness didn't really stick out to me.

The keyboard's pretty nice, as is the trackpad. The magnetic latch on it is pretty nice- opens really easy.

It's not slow at all and it's decent, but I think it lacks longevity. It's a nice looking laptop, but besides the looks, I honestly wasn't very impressed by it. Happy with the blackbook I got instead.Funny i was never impressed by the black macbook :D

n0de
Feb 2, 2008, 10:28 PM
I really haven't stopped drooling on mine yet (1.6/80gb).

After I finished installing Office '08, Contribute CS3 and my iTunes library I installed Onyx and cleaned everything up. A warning here - on the 4200 rpm HD "repair permissions" takes forever!!

My does not have any of the reported problems with being unlevel or the hinge squeeking.

I am pleasantly surprised at the speed and the build surpassed my already inflated expectations.

The front edge is a little sharp, my wrists are actually getting a little chaffed.

Just surfing, it barely gets warm, but when I was loading my iTunes library (20GB) it did get quite warm.

I am completely happy with this purchase.

The one odd design item is that the vents on the underside are located in a way that if you are sitting with it on your lap they are more than 50% covered.

The only negative item I noticed performance wise is the fact that the menu animation in Office '08 is a little slow. All of the core OSX animation is fine as well as any video I have run so far (including streaming 720P quicktime video which was perfect).

Will right more later.

ubercool
Feb 2, 2008, 10:35 PM

That's not possible on an SSD model, so I assume you're talking HDD version, right? :confused:

etorres
Feb 2, 2008, 11:51 PM
I recieved my macbook air yesterday. After a whole day of playing with it these are my initial impressions:

The air looks absolutely beautiful. I thought I would find the black keys on aluminum a bit tacky, but I actually like it. I absolutely loved the backlit keyboard, hopefully Apple will incorporate it into future versions of the macbook. The aluminum enclosure is very nice with surprisingly little heat. My friends black macbook gets much hotter than the air. With a 13.3" display the air has the same "footprint" as the macbook. The difference is when you compare them side by side. I always liked the style of the macbook, but when placed next to a macbook air, they look HUGE and bloated. It really is that thin!

The aluminum body feels very, very tight. Although it is so thin I can actually pick it up from a corner and feel absolutely no bending or warping, the thing is solid as a rock. I would never have dared to do that with my older IBM Thinkpad. In regards to weight, those 2 pounds do make a differnce.

The operating system was pretty responsive, as it should be with 2 Gb of RAM. It took Office 2008 from 5 to 8 seconds to open (yes, I timed it too :)). I was pretty surprised at how zippy and responsive the laptop is considering that I ordered the base 1.6 GHz model. It is pretty much on par with the macbook. I wouldnt recommend it for gaming, 3D modeling or HD decoding, but it should be more than enough for normal computing needs.

The screen is a 13.3" LED backlit which is brighter than the macbook version. When I open the case it instantly turns on which is nice. i am not a fan glossy screens, but so far it hasnt bothered me much.

My biggest worry when buying the macbook were the reports of non replacable battery and puny hard drive (the SSD option at $999 is waaay to expensive for me). Fortunately this doesnt seem to be the case at all. Reports from mac sites demonstrate that the battery is actually pretty easy to replace, as all you need is a screwdriver. With this in mind, its only a matter of time before third party replacement batteries are available. Removing the hard drive takes a little more work, but its definately doable. The only problem is that the largest size comaptible 1.8" HDD available is precisely 80 Gb. This shouldnt be a problem as SSD drive prices are falling more and more every day, with reports saying that their prices should rive HDD prices by the end of this year/ early next year.

The "lack" of features is probably not going to be as big a problem as I thought. In all the years I have had my Thinkpad laptop, I probably burned less than 10 CD's/ DVD's. If I do find the need to burn a CD/ DVD I already have my 24" iMac as my primary desktop computer for that. When transfering files I mainly use my trusty 4 Gb USB drive which is more than enough. I installed Office 2008 using remote disk, which is an application that permits the macbook to "borrow" the disk drive from another computer to unstall apps. It worked as advertised, Office 2008 installed without any problems whatsoever.

The speaker sounded ok as it is mono, but as with any laptop I recommend using the headphone jack. The air also has a built in isight camera on top of the screen, it worked great. The one thing that I really missed was a firewire port. The external hard drive I use to back up my info and store my movies is firewire only, which means I am going to be forced to shell out some money for a USB external hard drive for use with my macbook air. Other than that the other "missing" features would most likely not be missed at all.

So after playing with the macbook air for more than a day I have to say I am pretty happy with it. One thing to keep in mind is that the macbook air is NOT meant to be used as a primary computer. If you decide to buy one I recommend you at least have a decent desktop for you primary computing needs. In the end I believe that Apple always meant for the macbook air to be used as a second computer, where portability was more important.

I know this was a bit long winded, but I hope it gives you all a better idea of what you are getting into if you decide to get a macbook air.

iAmLegend
Feb 3, 2008, 12:08 AM
I spent about a half hour with the Air at the Apple store on 5th ave. Looks good and runs better than I expected but there is no way this thing is worth $1800. I honestly don't understand how anyone can justify the price tag on this machine. I don't care if you crap gold nuggets, if you pay almost two grand for the MBA, you're a sucker.

ahaxton
Feb 3, 2008, 12:19 AM
I spent about a half hour with the Air at the Apple store on 5th ave. Looks good and runs better than I expected but there is no way this thing is worth $1800. I honestly don't understand how anyone can justify the price tag on this machine. I don't care if you crap gold nuggets, if you pay almost two grand for the MBA, you're a sucker.

I'm sorry we have a requirement here that if you insult our purchase you need to hand over your last 12 months of bank statements, so we may look over them.

rittchard
Feb 3, 2008, 12:35 AM
Here's my impressions post:

Ahhh, Apple. How I love and hate thee at the same time. You are sucking away all my money, but you make such beautiful toys, I am unable to resist.

The Macbook Air (MBA) is really an engineering marvel, a thing of beauty wrapped in an almost unbelievable package. Sometimes I just like to look at it in all it's thin and shiny glory. Typing away on it as I am now just feels good, it's like it wants me to keep singing its praises to anyone I can.

But OK, beyond all the shininess and coolness, is it really a big deal? It's 2.3ish pounds heavier than the regular Macbooks, and not as powerful. Is the thinner size and lower weight worth the cost and tradeoff of computing power? Clearly that's an individual question and really depends on one's needs/lusts/desires. Not having owned any previous Mac laptop, it's hard for me to compare. What I can say is the size and form factor need to be experienced first hand to appreciate. Carrying this thing up and down the stairs feels like carrying a really really thin book. Bouncing it on my legs while on the couch it's nearly weightless. Yet when you open and up and start interacting, the build quality feels very solid, and you pretty much just feel like you are using a really well built laptop. It just screams "use me" when compared to my old clunky 6+ pound laptop. I used to think that was a fairly lightweight computer relative to the old "desktop replacement" I had owned many many years back (8+ pounds); it now feels like a boat anchor in comparison. The light weight in and of itself as a "feature" is really intangible, though; I think in the long run it will prove to be a factor that encourages me to use it more often in places/situations I might not have considered in the past.

So enough about the form factor. Other niceties include the absolutely gorgeous screen. I don't know what Apple does with their screens, but they always seem just that much more vibrant than comparably sized screens from other vendors. The full size keyboard with it's backlighting is also extremely nice. This is where it really stands apart from the "ultraportable" market. I've seen units that weigh less or with a smaller footprint, but generally the sacrifice is in the screen and/or keyboard. It has a great feel to it, a touch more solid and comfortable than the new skinny iMac keyboard. Speaking of touch, this is also the best touchpad I've ever experienced. I used to hate touchpads, and I have tried plenty of them. This one just works. I am now completely comfortable with general things like web browsing and application navigation. The multi finger gestures, etc make it a breeze. Also love the iPhone-esque zoom in feature. In fact I just used it a second ago so I could see this text better as I typed.

In terms of other stuff, what can I say? It's really a full up Mac packed into the unit. You get Leopard and iLife pre-installed, for better or worse, and all the niceties and features anyone who's used a Mac before is used to. The hard drive isn't the fastest (boot up time was noticeably slower than the iMac) but is insanely quiet (iPod quiet). The unit does get warm at times and the fan goes on (not so iPod quiet), which is considerably louder and more noticeable. It's unfortunate they weren't able to get the 45nm Penryn's into these units, but I suppose that will be in the next version.

Applications wise, I haven't been able to experiment as much as I'd like. I fiddled a bit with iTunes and iPhoto, no surprises there of course. Slingbox installed and ran flawlessy, so I'll be able to use it as a portable TV. Also, it took a while, but I was able to use Bootcamp to get Windows XP installed. Dual booting worked fine, and I was able to install my first test game (Space Rangers 2) in XP. Frankly I'd prefer to stay in OSX as much as possible, but it's nice to know I can get in some gaming in XP as well. The biggest issue is the lack of a CD/DVD drive for gaming. I did get the USB external drive but it would still be nice to not have to lug the thing around for games. I tried to get HOMM V to work (Mac native) but had some issues with the graphics. Right now I'm trying to install Shadowbane to see if I can get it running (that should be interesting).

All in all I'm very pleased and really enjoying the MBA. I know this is certainly not the unit for everyone, but I think anyone who likes tech can appreciate how well engineered of a product this is. Realizing this is still the "honeymoon period", I'll have to reassess after a month and more, but as with the iPhone, I don't think I'll be feeling the buyer's remorse as I have with many other electronics I've purchased in the past.

HLdan
Feb 3, 2008, 12:40 AM
Is anyone having concerns that you can't install Windows on the AIR without the external Superdrive?

John.B
Feb 3, 2008, 12:42 AM
...and also can i buy the time capsule thing for storage or is it only for backup??
Well, I don't actually have mine yet (1TB). But yes, you can easily partition the TC for separate backup and storage partitions. Its more of a Time Machine (backup software) thing than a Time Capsule thing. You could also create separate partitions to backup separate computers.

And you didn't ask but, technically, while you can actually access the backup partition for regular file storage, I wouldn't.

Which brings up what you should be storing on the TC. Time Machine will protect you against deleted files, data file corruption, that sort of thing. But if you had a catastrophic disk failure on the Time Capsule unit, you'd not only loose the storage files but also the backups.

If something is irreplaceable, never back it up to the same disk that the original file is on. :)

zign
Feb 3, 2008, 06:03 AM

F8, F9 AND F10

designed
Feb 3, 2008, 07:23 AM
F8, F9 AND F10

In MacBook Pro yes but in Air it's F5 and F6 (you can verify this from the keyboard pictures in Apple.com). There's apparently no dedicated key to turn it on and off (F8 in MBP).

For reference: about adjusting the backlit keyboard

bjdraw
Feb 3, 2008, 07:38 AM
Is anyone having concerns that you can't install Windows on the AIR without the external Superdrive?

No, because you can use remote disc for OS X installs.

NC MacGuy
Feb 3, 2008, 07:47 AM

Personally, I think that if you buy the Air you really should buy the Superdrive too. Even though I have other computers that if I need to use the Remote Disk I can, it sure was handy yesterday to reload Office by popping on the USB drive. I think it's Windows security that won't let you load remotely and not the Apple remote disk program.

Cybergypsy
Feb 3, 2008, 08:18 AM
Personally, I think that if you buy the Air you really should buy the Superdrive too. Even though I have other computers that if I need to use the Remote Disk I can, it sure was handy yesterday to reload Office by popping on the USB drive. I think it's Windows security that won't let you load remotely and not the Apple remote disk program.

I dont remember the last time I used a drive:confused:

Golden Master
Feb 3, 2008, 08:57 AM
There are often issues with any new computer line so I'm wondering how long it generally takes to straighten out the kinks (assuming no fatal flaws etc).

Any ideas on the typical time to Rev B or at least a sensible time to leave it before ordering an MBA if not in a particular hurry? (based on the community's experience with previous Macs). Thanks

Cybergypsy
Feb 3, 2008, 09:00 AM
There are often issues with any new computer line so I'm wondering how long it generally takes to straighten out the kinks (assuming no fatal flaws etc).

Any ideas on the typical time to Rev B or at least a sensible time to leave it before ordering if not in a particular hurry? Thanks whatever tick are usually done by a software download, so in a month :)

blueskybyway
Feb 3, 2008, 09:01 AM
how far the clamshell opens on the Macbook Air? My Macbook stops at about 120 degrees and I sometimes find situations where I wished it opened further. My small Sony Vaio almost opened to 180 degrees and that was useful occasionally.

Also, for those with improper ergonomic typing styles like me, how does the front edge feel on your wrists when typing? My Macbook edges are very sharp and uncomfortable when I type.

NC MacGuy
Feb 3, 2008, 09:06 AM
how far the clamshell opens on the Macbook Air? My Macbook stops at about 120 degrees and I sometimes find situations where I wished it opened further. My small Sony Vaio almost opened to 180 degrees and that was useful occasionally.

Also, for those with improper ergonomic typing styles like me, how does the front edge feel on your wrists when typing? My Macbook edges are very sharp and uncomfortable when I type.

They are sharp, too. Sorry, so far that's my only rub on the machine. The keyboard seems to be a bit further back than the MB. One nice thing is it's light enough to balance it into a decent position to not get the rubbing on edge.

The clamshell doesn't open as far as the MB, but close. It is so light that opening it any further would make it quite dipsy which is why I think they designed it hat way.

Oh, I did lightly sand down that nasty sharp lip on my MB but don't think that's an option on the Air...

NC MacGuy
Feb 3, 2008, 09:24 AM
I dont remember the last time I used a drive:confused:

Me not so much either - just when you really need too...

I've been using Office X forever. Just never got around to upgrading something that was working fine. After using migration asst. to new Air all my old non UB app's icon's showed up as exe unix icons and none would work so I was kinda' forced to reload the new office '04 I've had forever. It was a lot easier plugging into usb than turning on other computer. I also do on occasion use handbrake to covert some of my dvd's when traveling or for ipod transferring.

desenso
Feb 3, 2008, 09:34 AM
That's not possible on an SSD model, so I assume you're talking HDD version, right? :confused:

Why wouldn't it be possible on the SSD model? It has a fan too. But yes, I'm talking about the HDD version.

avigalante
Feb 3, 2008, 09:34 AM
What gets me is that anyone here could have more features/functionality by getting a macbook and then placing an SSD in there. At least this way - the computer itself won't be crippled in terms of functionality and it'll be much faster.

NC MacGuy
Feb 3, 2008, 09:51 AM
What gets me is that anyone here could have more features/functionality by getting a macbook and then placing an SSD in there. At least this way - the computer itself won't be crippled in terms of functionality and it'll be much faster.

The Air is not for you. Each his own...

Hankster
Feb 3, 2008, 09:52 AM
Here's my impressions post:

Ahhh, Apple. How I love and hate thee at the same time. You are sucking away all my money, but you make such beautiful toys, I am unable to resist.

The Macbook Air (MBA) is really an engineering marvel, a thing of beauty wrapped in an almost unbelievable package. Sometimes I just like to look at it in all it's thin and shiny glory. Typing away on it as I am now just feels good, it's like it wants me to keep singing its praises to anyone I can.

But OK, beyond all the shininess and coolness, is it really a big deal? It's 2.3ish pounds heavier than the regular Macbooks, and not as powerful. Is the thinner size and lower weight worth the cost and tradeoff of computing power? Clearly that's an individual question and really depends on one's needs/lusts/desires. Not having owned any previous Mac laptop, it's hard for me to compare. What I can say is the size and form factor need to be experienced first hand to appreciate. Carrying this thing up and down the stairs feels like carrying a really really thin book. Bouncing it on my legs while on the couch it's nearly weightless. Yet when you open and up and start interacting, the build quality feels very solid, and you pretty much just feel like you are using a really well built laptop. It just screams "use me" when compared to my old clunky 6+ pound laptop. I used to think that was a fairly lightweight computer relative to the old "desktop replacement" I had owned many many years back (8+ pounds); it now feels like a boat anchor in comparison. The light weight in and of itself as a "feature" is really intangible, though; I think in the long run it will prove to be a factor that encourages me to use it more often in places/situations I might not have considered in the past.

So enough about the form factor. Other niceties include the absolutely gorgeous screen. I don't know what Apple does with their screens, but they always seem just that much more vibrant than comparably sized screens from other vendors. The full size keyboard with it's backlighting is also extremely nice. This is where it really stands apart from the "ultraportable" market. I've seen units that weigh less or with a smaller footprint, but generally the sacrifice is in the screen and/or keyboard. It has a great feel to it, a touch more solid and comfortable than the new skinny iMac keyboard. Speaking of touch, this is also the best touchpad I've ever experienced. I used to hate touchpads, and I have tried plenty of them. This one just works. I am now completely comfortable with general things like web browsing and application navigation. The multi finger gestures, etc make it a breeze. Also love the iPhone-esque zoom in feature. In fact I just used it a second ago so I could see this text better as I typed.

In terms of other stuff, what can I say? It's really a full up Mac packed into the unit. You get Leopard and iLife pre-installed, for better or worse, and all the niceties and features anyone who's used a Mac before is used to. The hard drive isn't the fastest (boot up time was noticeably slower than the iMac) but is insanely quiet (iPod quiet). The unit does get warm at times and the fan goes on (not so iPod quiet), which is considerably louder and more noticeable. It's unfortunate they weren't able to get the 45nm Penryn's into these units, but I suppose that will be in the next version.

Applications wise, I haven't been able to experiment as much as I'd like. I fiddled a bit with iTunes and iPhoto, no surprises there of course. Slingbox installed and ran flawlessy, so I'll be able to use it as a portable TV. Also, it took a while, but I was able to use Bootcamp to get Windows XP installed. Dual booting worked fine, and I was able to install my first test game (Space Rangers 2) in XP. Frankly I'd prefer to stay in OSX as much as possible, but it's nice to know I can get in some gaming in XP as well. The biggest issue is the lack of a CD/DVD drive for gaming. I did get the USB external drive but it would still be nice to not have to lug the thing around for games. I tried to get HOMM V to work (Mac native) but had some issues with the graphics. Right now I'm trying to install Shadowbane to see if I can get it running (that should be interesting).

All in all I'm very pleased and really enjoying the MBA. I know this is certainly not the unit for everyone, but I think anyone who likes tech can appreciate how well engineered of a product this is. Realizing this is still the "honeymoon period", I'll have to reassess after a month and more, but as with the iPhone, I don't think I'll be feeling the buyer's remorse as I have with many other electronics I've purchased in the past.

Nice write up :)

Phil A.
Feb 3, 2008, 09:59 AM

How about the LED Backlight feature, or the Backlit Keyboard feature, or the 3lb weight feature? or the Aluminium case feature? or the Multitouch trackpad feature?

NC MacGuy
Feb 3, 2008, 10:04 AM
How about the LED Backlight feature, or the Backlit Keyboard feature, or the 3lb weight feature? or the Aluminium case feature? or the Multitouch trackpad feature?

Or awesome build quality compared to MB's? The MB's have their place - I'll give my old one to my kids...

dkorpresto
Feb 3, 2008, 10:54 AM
I have used the mba for the past day. Here are some thoughts:

- as nice a most are posting from a physical standpoint. Keyboard nice, case fantastic, screen bright. All good.

- Added handbrake and works great. I am using external superdrive to get movies from handbrake to itunes on mba

- added microsoft office 2008 for mac and it also works fine. Also added microsoft remote desktop to control my work pc. No problems there either

- I use a Verizon wireless usb broadbank card and it works fine. It connects directly to the mba or I can use an extender cable

- issues: fan is louder then I expected. Not crazy loud but more then I would have thought. I want to see if others start reporting this issue or if it is my machine. Ripping dvd's is intense so that might be why it is on a lot.

- The MBA does not see to lay down totally flat on my desk. The from left corner is slightly raised - just enough to make a sound if I press anything on the far left front side of the unit. It is probably the fault of the little round black rubber pads but it is annoying. I will also watch to see if others have an issue. Not a deal breaker but still annoying.

- Overall - happy with unit and I think it will be another apple success - for the right erson in the right environment. If you look at the cost and specs all by itself, the price and feature set are hard to justify. If you look at it across the entire line of Apple laptops, it starts to make more sense to me.

NC MacGuy
Feb 3, 2008, 11:11 AM

- as nice a most are posting from a physical standpoint. Keyboard nice, case fantastic, screen bright. All good.

- Added handbrake and works great. I am using external superdrive to get movies from handbrake to itunes on mba

- added microsoft office 2008 for mac and it also works fine. Also added microsoft remote desktop to control my work pc. No problems there either

- I use a Verizon wireless usb broadbank card and it works fine. It connects directly to the mba or I can use an extender cable

- issues: fan is louder then I expected. Not crazy loud but more then I would have thought. I want to see if others start reporting this issue or if it is my machine. Ripping dvd's is intense so that might be why it is on a lot.

- The MBA does not see to lay down totally flat on my desk. The from left corner is slightly raised - just enough to make a sound if I press anything on the far left front side of the unit. It is probably the fault of the little round black rubber pads but it is annoying. I will also watch to see if others have an issue. Not a deal breaker but still annoying.

- Overall - happy with unit and I think it will be another apple success - for the right erson in the right environment. If you look at the cost and specs all by itself, the price and feature set are hard to justify. If you look at it across the entire line of Apple laptops, it starts to make more sense to me.

My fan is whisper quiet unless you get a cpu intensive process going - which handbrake is. Mine runs routinely at 2500 but will crank up to 6200 and then you notice it. It's only kicked on while running DU for me.

Mine lays flat on all feet. Guess I got lucky.

One thing; my battery is only showing 93% health - already??

Tried calibrating and it went from 95 to 93%. Looks like I'll go through the SMC reset routine and see if that helps. I would like to have this new machine at least starting with 97-101%.

dkorpresto
Feb 3, 2008, 11:47 AM
how can you tell the speed of yor fan?

NC MacGuy
Feb 3, 2008, 11:57 AM
how can you tell the speed of yor fan?

I'm using istat nano widget. cool little widget monitors network, fan(s), temps, network, processes, battery and lots more.

whenders0n
Feb 3, 2008, 12:00 PM
somebody want to post side-by-side pictures showing the max screen angle vs the MBP's? thanks...

ubercool
Feb 3, 2008, 12:12 PM
Why wouldn't it be possible on the SSD model? It has a fan too. But yes, I'm talking about the HDD version.

Because my TZ with SSD only ran virtually silent, as SSDs rarely heat up. ;)

USCSean2222
Feb 3, 2008, 12:12 PM

I'm migrating from a MBP with a express card so that I can have a lighter haul for business travel. I've read the various reviews that discuss the USB broadband card "fit" issues. Which model are you using?

Thanks,

ubercool
Feb 3, 2008, 12:16 PM

You forgot "uber-sexy"! She may not have brains, but boy is she good-lookin'! :D

designed
Feb 3, 2008, 12:23 PM
I was just wondering, can you configure the trackpad gestures otherwise than enable/disable them? I think I won't have much use for the three-finger swipe to go backwards and forwards but using it to switch Spaces would be fantastic, especially considering the limited desktop space available in Air.

infobhan
Feb 3, 2008, 12:41 PM

It wouldn't make the MacBook weigh any less, though. The MBA is close to half the weight of the MB.

mcdj
Feb 3, 2008, 01:22 PM
somebody want to post side-by-side pictures showing the max screen angle vs the MBP's? thanks...

I don't have either computer, or pics, but I can tell you I played with an MBA yesterday and it doesn't open nearly as wide as my Powerbook 12".

This might be a deal killer for me, as I often lay on the couch with the PB balanced vertically on my chest and surf/watch movies. I can see the screen perfectly and the keyboard faces me. The MBA doesn't seem to open up much past 95 degrees or so from the keyboard, meaning the screen would be facing pretty much downward if I rested the front edge of the keyboard vertically on my chest, unless I rested the keyboard flat on my chest...then the screen would be too low and I wouldn't be able to see the keyboard.

Petrogk
Feb 3, 2008, 01:26 PM

Yeah, of course.

But let me know when you find a big one.
Last I heard, you can only buy 32GB SSDs at retail and those cost 800$
That leaves what...something like 15GB free after OS X and whatnot...

All in all, I'd say the MBA is pretty impressive first step into the ultrathin/light category for Apple.

AeroHead
Feb 3, 2008, 02:56 PM
Hi Folks,

Apple may finally have made a portable compelling enough for me to finally upgrade, but there's one big issue: connecting to VGA projectors in classrooms and conference rooms.

My wife has a MacBook C2D, pre-santa Rosa. She went to a conference and he computer would not recognize the projector. She had to borrow a windows laptop and present from a USB drive. This wasted about ten minutes, and, needless to say this was very embarrasing. I assumed that this was just a projector problem. The computer works well with external monitors and desktop projectors (Short VGA cables).

However, I have a tech here who is saying that they are discouraging people from buying either the MB or the MBP because this is apparently a widespread problem for any of the new books using the DVI to VGA converter. I don't need advice or commentary, I found a couple of boards going on this problem already.

So, does anyone have a classroom/conference room with an overhead VGA projector they can try out? One of the things I have most enjoyed about my mac has been being able to just walk up to the front of the room, plug in and go. This is probably the most vital function for me. I don't need speed or storage. I need to look competent and start my presentation on time, without distractions, or fumbling around.

The second item is minor. I'm assuming that the DVD drive, like every DVD drive on a portable computer designed for world travel is zone locked :mad:. Since I am one of those low life, criminal, deviant, foul parasites that the movie industry would like to see in jail for life, I occasionally buy DVDs outside of my proper movie industry assigned zone. Can someone tell me what the mechanism is inside this, or even better, can you tell me if handbrake can work on a DVD that doesn't match the assigned zone?

Thanks

chp5592
Feb 3, 2008, 03:08 PM
I agree that when doing intensive work ( for me that included copying massive files to the MacBook Air hard drive or ripping DVD with handbrake) the fan noise is noticeable. It is a mid pitch whir type sound.

However once things cool down and doing normal work ( safari browsing, office work, light photoshop filter stuff, and windows on parallel) the fan rarely turns on.

Today I was using the laptop for my normal work stuff ( in contrast to last two days when I was doing lots of intensive data moving and house keeping) and I have yet to hear the fan.

desenso
Feb 3, 2008, 03:08 PM

I have both of these problems as well.

ViperrepiV
Feb 3, 2008, 03:35 PM
to what extent are battery issues covered by the warranty?

pugnut
Feb 3, 2008, 05:49 PM
I have both of these problems as well.
Don's have one yet , I have been stalking the stores, hopefully this week. The ones that I looked at the store had the same issue, the guy told me it was the table but I moved it as far as I could, cord was attached and still no balance. There was one , of the three that laid flat.

uber gorilla
Feb 3, 2008, 06:11 PM
I'm slightly freaking out about the potential for my pre-ordered (but yet to arrive) MBA having wobbly-feet syndrome.

If my MBA comes with this problem, would that be something covered by the warranty, such that I could send it back to Apple for repair?

ubercool
Feb 3, 2008, 07:07 PM
I'm slightly freaking out about the potential for my pre-ordered (but yet to arrive) MBA having wobbly-feet syndrome.

If my MBA comes with this problem, would that be something covered by the warranty, such that I could send it back to Apple for repair?

Yea, but that would be a big pain in the ass to deal with! :eek: I don't know what I would do, the choice is swallow the restocking charge or argue with store peeps. :o

ipedro
Feb 3, 2008, 07:21 PM
Wow... just "wow".

I stopped by my local Apple Store and had a look at one.

I could care less at how it performed, I picked it up and couldn't believe how thin and light it is. Pure sex I tell you. Pure sex.

ubercool
Feb 3, 2008, 07:29 PM
Wow... just "wow".

I stopped by my local Apple Store and had a look at one.

I could care less at how it performed, I picked it up and couldn't believe how thin and light it is. Pure sex I tell you. Pure sex.

Welcome to the club! :p :cool:

Eric Lewis
Feb 3, 2008, 07:44 PM
i want to have sex with one..there so thin

BWhaler
Feb 3, 2008, 08:55 PM

Me too.

This is the problem with the bigger Apple nowadays. Their quality control is simply horrific.

Apple is lucky their competitors haven't gotten their act together. Yet.

But good luck. I too bought a MBA, $3,200 for a secondary laptop. You can be sure at this amount of money, I am not going to tolerate the usual Apple quality.

NC MacGuy
Feb 3, 2008, 09:14 PM
Me too.

This is the problem with the bigger Apple nowadays. Their quality control is simply horrific.

But good luck. I too bought a MBA, $3,200 for a secondary laptop. You can be sure at this amount of money, I am not going to tolerate the usual Apple quality.

Quality is best since my Irish built laptop years ago. You're right, the quality has slipped but it's because they moved production to China. Luckily for Apple, all their competitors units are made in China too.

Just bought two Canon cameras for Christmas. One was made in Japan, the other China - well guess which one went back after less than three weeks?

robrose20
Feb 3, 2008, 09:31 PM
I went to amazon to post a review of this new macbookair but i couldn't because the forums weren't open yet. i never post reviews but this product is SO $@#%!#$% amazing I couldn't resist.

a perfect blend of pro and macbook. responsive keyboard that lights up, crisp screen. sharp edges with beautiful details. no distractions. A pure portable with everything you need/ nothing you dont.

multi touch is genius, scroll through webpages with double touch, secondary click with double touch.... triple touch swipe through webpages... this is what i have figured thus far.

i dont feel like i need to carry an annoying mouse around with me anymore. quick responsive touch. @#$%@#$ clean mang!

doesnt get hot on your lap... a little but manageable

an engineering feat... i happy to have pioneered this purchase.... if you think you don't need it. like i did, go see it and think... hmm, i know i need a new PB but this ones too expensive, this one provincial, however all that crap you are used to... the cd drive.... OBSOLETE MANG! i just copy crap off my comp, and rip off my works puters. DVDs are out... i have enough already... it is the age of downloads...

anyway... i hope this explains the sheer giddyness of my experience thus far... a couple of hours... i bought it down on prince ST. GO GET YOURS:)

I have decoded the actually identity of this user ... yikes .. It is Steve Jobs ... He's lost about $500,000,000 in stock value so he has resorted to posting messages on macforums to get people to buy the Crapbook Air.

robrose20
Feb 3, 2008, 09:33 PM
Me too.

You spent $3200.00 on a computer that has less processing power than a Mac Mini. Are you insane man??? You just bought Steve Jobs a marble floor for his bathroom.. yikes.

scottkifnw
Feb 3, 2008, 09:40 PM
My only experience with Blue Tooth is with phone headsets.

Due to limited ports, and a mono speaker, any thoughts regarding Blue Tooth mice, and possibly Blue Tooth externally powered speakers?

Thanks.

ubercool
Feb 3, 2008, 09:45 PM

Due to limited ports, and a mono speaker, any thoughts regarding Blue Tooth mice, and possibly Blue Tooth externally powered speakers?

Thanks.

Any Bluetooth device should work fine with it. It supports EDR 2.1, the latest standard. :)

Cybergypsy
Feb 3, 2008, 09:57 PM

Thanks.

I have a bluetooth printer and works well with the macbook

beg_ne
Feb 3, 2008, 10:43 PM
You just bought Steve Jobs a marble floor for his bathroom.. yikes.

Psychooooooo.... man you care WAY too much about Steve Jobs

uber gorilla
Feb 3, 2008, 10:55 PM
I for one am glad that the wireless Mighty Mouse is bluetooth and not USB, coz USB ports are an endangered species when it comes to the MBA. I'm already anticipating the "what a bummer"-factor when I'll need to chop 'n' change between Superdrive, iPod and printer (although I could stop whinging and just buy a hub...)

Still, the USB factor is just one compromise, and it didn't break the deal for this style-conscious lad!

Btw, a lot of this Apple related stuff is new to me (PC boy since the day I could sit up at a computer)... I thought Apple was a good choice for build quality, rather than Acer or some other crummy brand like that. Right?

scottkifnw
Feb 3, 2008, 11:23 PM
i have a question for you guys.

i want to buy a mba but here's the thing. its my first mac and i would hve to put windows on it. can it be done on the 64ssd one???? i want an ultra portable laptop and i dont want another pc. so im buying a mac either way.
ill only use it for surfing, watching tv series some music and some video converting for my ps3 :)

and also can i buy the time capsule thing for storage or is it only for backup??
thanks

The Time Capsule is a combination of Airport extreme (802.11) wireless router + 500 GB or 1 TB of storage. You can use it as a regular wireless external HD. I can't comment on the rest except to say that I am in the same boat regarding switching from Vista.

ubercool
Feb 3, 2008, 11:25 PM
I for one am glad that the wireless Mighty Mouse is bluetooth and not USB, coz USB ports are an endangered species when it comes to the MBA. I'm already anticipating the "what a bummer"-factor when I'll need to chop 'n' change between Superdrive, iPod and printer (although I could stop whinging and just buy a hub...)

Still, the USB factor is just one compromise, and it didn't break the deal for this style-conscious lad!

Btw, a lot of this Apple related stuff is new to me (PC boy since the day I could sit up at a computer)... I thought Apple was a good choice for build quality, rather than Acer or some other crummy brand like that. Right?

Apple's products are as good as their vendor's quality control. Right now, while the MBA has a few niglets, like uneven rubber feet, most agree that this 1.0 version has few problems relatively speaking. :)

Sandy Santra
Feb 3, 2008, 11:27 PM
uber gorilla, it is, it is. I bought my first Mac last year after 15 years of PC machines and I've been VERY happy. I also own 2 iPods, an iPhone, and an Airport Extreme. And I'm scheming on how to get a MacBook Air.

dannn
Feb 4, 2008, 12:17 AM
hey guys, im considering purchasing the 1.6 model, but i have a few questions about the build of the machine. i'm looking for very objective opinions so please guys, be as honest as possible

first, how is the heat on the 80gb hdd model? All the reviews and first impressions have been kinda vague and inconsistent. People say it doesnt get too hot, and others say it does and loud...? All i really want to know is how does this thing compare to the macbook's heat issue? I have a 1.6ghz core duo (not c2d) macbook and it gets really uncomfortable when i have it on my lap...is the mba also like this?

next, im really concerned with the hinge on the MBA. How is the build of it? sturdy? Does it look like it's gonna get really loose after a year of use?

And also..any signs of discoloration below the keyboard like the macbooks? i guess this is pretty early on to be asking a question like this, but i figure it's worth mentioning

Are the uneven rubber feet a widespread problem on these revision A MBA's?

Yeah, answers on any of these questions would be great, and so would any other comments about the hardware on this. Honestly, im looking for more negative comments more than anything--i already know what i like about the machine heh (and plz, no comments on the price of the thing or its lack of ports)

ctt1wbw
Feb 4, 2008, 04:05 AM
I'm interested in the hinge issue, myself. I had a G3 Wallstreet Powerbook and the hinge only had about half an inch of play after about 6 or 7 years. I wonder how the hinge on the Air would hold up?

uber gorilla
Feb 4, 2008, 04:58 AM
Thanks, guys, it kinda puts my heart to rest to know that Apple is at least making semi-decent products. :)

Anything that's better than this crusty old Tosh Satellite that I'm using right now will take me over the moon :)

larryj
Feb 4, 2008, 06:23 AM
hey guys, im considering purchasing the 1.6 model, but i have a few questions about the build of the machine. i'm looking for very objective opinions so please guys, be as honest as possible

first, how is the heat on the 80gb hdd model? All the reviews and first impressions have been kinda vague and inconsistent. People say it doesnt get too hot, and others say it does and loud...? All i really want to know is how does this thing compare to the macbook's heat issue? I have a 1.6ghz core duo (not c2d) macbook and it gets really uncomfortable when i have it on my lap...is the mba also like this?

next, im really concerned with the hinge on the MBA. How is the build of it? sturdy? Does it look like it's gonna get really loose after a year of use?

And also..any signs of discoloration below the keyboard like the macbooks? i guess this is pretty early on to be asking a question like this, but i figure it's worth mentioning

Yeah, answers on any of these questions would be great, and so would any other comments about the hardware on this. Honestly, im looking for more negative comments more than anything--i already know what i like about the machine heh (and plz, no comments on the price of the thing or its lack of ports)

Heat - Not an issue for me. It gets warm, that's it. My use so far consists of surfing the web and playing Peggle. :)

The hinge seems very durable to me, but I've only used it for a couple of days now.

I have no idea on the discoloration. Again, it's early but there's no sign of that.

The uneven rubber feet thing is weird.... After reading reports of this issue, I checked out my MBA and sure enough, it rocked a bit. The front left rubber foot was a bit too short.

But I just checked again and it's not nearly as bad as it was. Is this even possible?

So far, I really like this machine. It's my first Mac laptop so maybe the fact that I don't have any MacBook or MacBook Pro experiences to compare it to is a factor, but I love it. I realize it's not for everyone and some people are disappointed, but good grief, some of the kids around here are really getting annoying. I guess that's their goal though.

dkorpresto
Feb 4, 2008, 07:50 AM
I have the same "part-time" issue with the left front foot. It is a problem only sometimes. I think they have a design problem that obviously can be easily fixed. They will have to either retro-fit mine or break out a replacement machine for me.

Konquest
Feb 4, 2008, 09:56 AM
After using my MBA for a little bit, my fans are running continuously at 6200 RPM and my CPU temp is at 75 right now. I'm just browsing the internet... is anyone else having this problem?

queuecipher
Feb 4, 2008, 10:06 AM
After using my MBA for a little bit, my fans are running continuously at 6200 RPM and my CPU temp is at 75 right now. I'm just browsing the internet... is anyone else having this problem?

Is anything else running? Spotlight indexing?

jameskohn
Feb 4, 2008, 10:10 AM

Is your machine plugged in or running on battery power. I've heard of this happening when it's plugged in, and have observed the same thing on my own SSD MBA. When it's running on battery power it is completely silent.

desenso
Feb 4, 2008, 10:12 AM

Same issue.. the fan on this thing goes wild.

I have iStat Menus and the processor on this thing peaks a lot. syslogd seems to be the culprit much of the time. Perhaps its Time Machine?

Anyways, I really hope that Apple releases something to deal with the fan issue because I don't think they've quite tweaked the temperature settings on this thing properly. It's at full blast way too often. Maybe the thing doesn't cool well enough, but it's way too loud of a computer right now.

queuecipher
Feb 4, 2008, 10:22 AM
Interesting. Some folks mention how loud the computer is, but reports like the new appleinsider review talk about how quiet it runs. I wonder if this is an issue that is effecting some of the computers...

roland.g
Feb 4, 2008, 10:30 AM
My $.02.

Well I haven't bought one, but I did go check them out this weekend at the good ol' Apple Store.

Undeniably it is ultra sexy. It is compact, sleek, and fairly small without seeming too small. While it has the same screen as the MB you wouldn't think so by looking at it. Its thinness and tapered edges really go far to making it look smaller than the casing to a 13" screen.

It was snappy and responsive and like any Mac, easy to use.

My only word of warning is that it will take users a little while to get use to the new trackpad and the multi-touch functionality. Even as an iPhone user, I found the MT functions a bit awkward. But I am sure this is just a learning curve thing.

And BTW, the keyboard is really nice.

sirozha
Feb 4, 2008, 10:30 AM
See next post

sirozha
Feb 4, 2008, 10:34 AM
I want to buy a new Mac laptop for my wife. We don't have any Mac computers yet, but we are about to migrate our home to Macs.

She wants a laptop with a backlit keyboard. The current choices are: MBP and MB Air. I don't like the way MBP looks at all. Additionally, it gets very hot, so I would much rather get her a Mac Book, but it has no backlit keyboard, so it's out. I was very excited about the MB Air, especially the fact that it has a backlit keyboard. I got my wife really interested in this laptop when it came out three weeks ago. We went to a couple Apple stores last weekend and played with the MB Air. I personally consider MB Air to be a niche product and in no way a laptop that can become a replacement for your home computer. Instead, it complements a desktop or another more powerful laptop. However, I admit that students may find the portability factor of this laptop compelling enough to make it their own computer while attending college.

The problem I have with this laptop is the fact that the price is basically the same as MBP when you add a NIC and an external Superdrive, but the specs are way below MBP. I am not so much concerned about the HD space because I keep all of my files on a NAS, but the HD speed (4200 rpms) and the fixed amount of RAM (2GB) is a major concern. What I am afraid of is the fact that this laptop may not be up to par when doing something a little more resource intensive, such as editing photos, making home videos, maybe recording in Garage Band, etc. We don't do much of that now, but as we go forward, this is something that we might be interested in.

The thing that really got me concerned about the performance of MB Air was the fact that the Apple store I was in last weekend had the background set for a slide show. So, the background was changing every 5 sec. I opened Mail and locked one of the keys on the keyboard to make the effect of “llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll”. Every time the background was changing, the string of repeating characters would stop for about 0.5 sec and then accelerate again. So, the simple task of changing slides was too intensive for this laptop to do in parallel something as simple as text entry. I decided to repeat the same test on a MB, and the delay in the repeating characters was barely noticeable – maybe 1/10 of a sec instead of half a second on the MB Air.

I understand that this laptop was not designed to be a powerhouse, and I am not talking about doing professional video editing with Final Cut Pro, etc. I would like to know, though, if this laptop is more than just a glorified iPod Touch, and can do normal day-to-day tasks beyond mere text editing, internet, and email. So, has anyone tried to use this laptop for more than just text editing, internet browsing and email?

I have heard rumors that MBP is about to be updated. Has anyone heard when this update is expected? I would be willing to wait a few weeks if MBP are going to be updated soon. Maybe Apple will put MBP in a new enclosure and do something to prevent it from getting so darn hot!

Last question -- Has anyone heard if MBs are going to be updated soon? Will Apple finally put them in aluminum this year? If so, when? Any rumors if MBs will get a backlit keyboard just like MB Air's?

Thanks.

Konquest
Feb 4, 2008, 10:38 AM
hmm my fan problem seems to be ok now, at 2400 rpm and ~50 degrees for the cpu after i called tech support they had me do some reset stuff

ipedro
Feb 4, 2008, 11:17 AM
My $.02.

Well I haven't bought one, but I did go check them out this weekend at the good ol' Apple Store.

Undeniably it is ultra sexy. It is compact, sleek, and fairly small without seeming too small. While it has the same screen as the MB you wouldn't think so by looking at it. Its thinness and tapered edges really go far to making it look smaller than the casing to a 13" screen.

It was snappy and responsive and like any Mac, easy to use.

My only word of warning is that it will take users a little while to get use to the new trackpad and the multi-touch functionality. Even as an iPhone user, I found the MT functions a bit awkward. But I am sure this is just a learning curve thing.

And BTW, the keyboard is really nice.

I didn't find multi touch difficult to use at all. On the contrary, it was completely intuitive. I found myself using taps to click and to drag even though I've always been a button click user.
Rotating and resizing photos with multi touch was very intuitive. Because of the limited number of MBA's in the store, people were huddled around me and I heard some gasps and oooooh's & aaaaah's when I used multi touch.

I'm very tempted to get one, but my power needs are holding me back. If this is a sign of things to come for Apple, I'm looking forward to the next version of the MacBook Pro (probably @ WWDC in August).

ThunderLounge
Feb 4, 2008, 12:07 PM

Not worth $1800?

By all means, feel free to take that cash and buy the competing Sony TZ.

Oops! Better wait and save up a bit, and be willing to get less for more.

:rolleyes:

iAmLegend
Feb 4, 2008, 12:47 PM
Not worth $1800?

By all means, feel free to take that cash and buy the competing Sony TZ.

Oops! Better wait and save up a bit, and be willing to get less for more.

:rolleyes:

Or better yet, save $1400 and buy an iPod Touch since it basically does everything people are buying an MBA for (web-browsing, e-mail, music). But let me guess, you paid the extra $1400 for the ability to do word-processing?

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

Catch
Feb 4, 2008, 01:18 PM
Or better yet, save $1400 and buy an iPod Touch since it basically does everything people are buying an MBA for (web-browsing, e-mail, music). But let me guess, you paid the extra $1400 for the ability to do word-processing?

The ignorance of some people never ceases to amaze me. Run along now little man, there is nothing for you to see here...

Regards,

C

mashoutposse
Feb 4, 2008, 01:21 PM

Didn't Jobs once say, "Stay foolish?" :p

This thing is awesome, so I think I'll take his advice over yours :D :apple:

mctheriot
Feb 4, 2008, 01:29 PM
Straight out of the box, mine sits totally flat. I'll check it again after it warms up and see if anything changes.

Mark

I have the same "part-time" issue with the left front foot. It is a problem only sometimes. I think they have a design problem that obviously can be easily fixed. They will have to either retro-fit mine or break out a replacement machine for me.

desenso
Feb 4, 2008, 01:33 PM

lol. Come on, aren't we past this price debate? Go play in another forum, little troll.

hmm my fan problem seems to be ok now, at 2400 rpm and ~50 degrees for the cpu after i called tech support they had me do some reset stuff

Can you describe what they had you reset?

elmo151
Feb 4, 2008, 02:45 PM
1.8 wth SSD

arrived at 10am EST today(monday)

unboxed, charged (about an hour)
used mac synch to populate key apps: mail, cal, address book. safari, settings, keychain

downloaded 1password.

used dongle to hook up to a plasma tv. awesome :D

loaded max osx disc in my imac and added disk sharing software(haven't tried it)

time to sit down with the book and learn how to use it(finger swirls, ...)

had a group of 4 home theater techs over working on a new setup. they all loved it!

redison
Feb 4, 2008, 03:17 PM
Mine has just arrived as of noon Feb 4. Love it!!

Much better than the original ship date of Feb 6, delivered Feb 18!!

1.8 GHz 64 SSD. USB Superdrive

First Impressions:

SSD (64GB) has 55.58 GB total space, with 38.00 GB free when shipped!

Trackpad button is a little narrow, getting used to it.

USB Superdrive works well, cable is a bit short -12"

New trackpad gestures are awesome, esp screen zoom!

No battery status lights on bottom.

Sit perfectly, no wobble

ctt1wbw
Feb 4, 2008, 04:11 PM
Soooo.... are the Teh Snappy?:)

bjdraw
Feb 4, 2008, 05:24 PM
You guys should really avoid feeding the trolls.

chp5592
Feb 4, 2008, 05:35 PM
It is definitely running a little slower, especially when doing initial scanning of the title (took about four to five minutes) but seems to access a DVD in my iMac superdrive through the Air...

Handbrake encoding speed however is pretty decent. Using the AppleTV encoding setting, it is averaging 19 fps.. 30 minute DVD encoding was done in 45 minutes.

DPGX
Feb 4, 2008, 07:03 PM
Seems pretty good so far Im just wiping mine and removing printer drivers, languages etc that consume about 10 gb of hard drive lol. After im done ill post some additional impressions. The SuperDrive seems much faster than the internal option but i could be wrong. I started reformatting my macbook pro around 30 minutes before this and im almost onto the second dvd.

In OSX it was pretty snappy but nowhere near as fast as my pro obviously. I got the 80gb 4200rpm drive which I'm sure is the main reason but boot up is noticeably longer than the pro. Also when they fan spun up it was def. audible. I could hear it from the doorway when i walked into my room and thought it was the mbp because I have them side by side but turns out its the air. I'll give a better writeup later, but as of now Im pretty happy with it.

Falldog
Feb 4, 2008, 07:35 PM
Got mine (1.6/80g HDD) a few hours ago, and liking it so far.

I read somewhere (it may have been earlier in this thread) that the Air was 'sluggish' on starting it up for the very first time. I would have to say I found this too. For a while, I was worried that I'd been sold a dud: it felt like the problem was the wireless, that the Air just wasn't playing well with the wireless network. As part of this problem, it plain refused to read the iWork disc I had sitting in my MB Pro, ready to install the apps to the new Air. It could see the disc, but kept saying that it 'couldn't find the original' or some such. One quick restart and a software update later, though, and it's working fine.

I report all this just in case someone else finds that their machine just ain't working right when they first get it home. Let it crawl through the software update, restart it, and hopefully things should be working as smoothly for you as they are now.

After this brief hiccup, the remote disc installation of iWork went fine. I didn't really even notice it going slower than you might expect. Since I imagine I'll rarely use the facility, I have absolutely no complaints: easy to set up, and quick in operation.

As to the rest of my experience with it so far:

I love the keyboard. Love it. It feels ever so slightly springier than the MacBook's - at first sight, you might think they're identical, but this has a more responsive feel, I find. (It's not yet dark enough here to test the back lighting, I'm afraid! ;) )

The build of the Air as a whole is nice. Sleek, but not flimsy. The screen does flex a little - but compared to my 17" Pro, I'd say the flexing is not as extreme. The whole thing feels pretty sturdy - and, of course, nice and light.

The screen is bright and sharp, and the 'wake-up' time when opening it is remarkably fast. The whole unit is so light that just pulling the screen open can be enough to move the whole computer! I'd recommend trying to hold down the rest of the machine while you do so.

It runs quiet and cool, too. I can hear the occasional whir of the HD, and a very slight hum of the fans - but nowhere near as loud as either a MacBook or MB Pro.

Start up on this model is slow. We tested start up on both this and the SSD version in the store - the SSD start-up is brilliant and swift, miles ahead of this. But I'm one of those people who very rarely fully powers down their machine, so it wasn't enough of a deal breaker to make me shell out the $1000 more! (Generally, the SSD machine is swifter all round - but again, for my needs, it wasn't worth paying the much bigger price. And, for day to day purposes, the difference in speed - while definitely noticeable - wasn't earth-shattering.)

Everything else seems to run pretty well, though. It's not as fast as my Pro, but then I didn't expect it to be. But it's certainly fast enough when dealing with Safari and Pages, the two things I'll be using most on the Air. So no complaints from me.

I hope other people are enjoying their first experiences with the Air as much as I am!

Falldog
Feb 4, 2008, 07:52 PM
Also: mine doesn't have the wobbly feet some people's seem to have. Thank heavens!

(The keyboard is illuminated now too. Very bright and clear, though the light spilling from the edges of the keys can be a little distracting... Not a major complaint, though.)

gkarris
Feb 4, 2008, 08:18 PM
Went to the Apple Store to see one.

GOD, I WANT ONE! :eek:

They're awesome...

Actually, I love the black MacBook like keys and the Aluminum.

I would really rather have an Aluminum MacBook with the same Alumimum enclosure (not thin obviously) and the black back-lit MacBook keys. Tired of the "white" and the extra $ for black isn't worth it to me.

I need the larger hard disk and built-in optical.

I hope the MacBook line becomes Alumimum - I would get one..

The MBA is awesome too!

Alfadoc
Feb 4, 2008, 08:22 PM
You know, it's funny. I did a cold startup (from power off to desktop) on the SSD and the HDD in the Charlotte store today twice on each machine. Got 28.5 and 29.0 seconds on the 1.8 SSD and 45.0 and 48.5 seconds on the 1.6 HDD.

How many times are people going to do that test in real life? ;)

Falldog
Feb 4, 2008, 08:23 PM

That's surely only a matter of time? If you don't count the Mini, it's the only Mac line that isn't aluminium/black now...

I guess they'll let the MBAs bed in for a while, and then do a revision to the 'babies' of the line. That would be my guess, anyway.

teerexx52
Feb 4, 2008, 08:35 PM
You know, it's funny. I did a cold startup (from power off to desktop) on the SSD and the HDD in the Charlotte store today twice on each machine. Got 28.5 and 29.0 seconds on the 1.8 SSD and 45.0 and 48.5 seconds on the 1.6 HDD.

How many times are people going to do that test in real life? ;)

I get about 35 seconds on my Macbook Pro about 45 seconds on my 1.6 Air

LindenTree
Feb 4, 2008, 09:15 PM
I got mine today, and it's...

AMAZING!

It's everything I was hoping for and so much more. No problems yet. It started up quickly, doesn't wobble, works great. I'm in love!

Nebrie
Feb 4, 2008, 09:20 PM
Just got my 1.8/80. I had an IBM Thinkpad X41t that also used a 1.8" hard drive and lagged horrifically on basic tasks such as loading the start menu (widely attributed to the HD speed) so I had fears about ordering the HDD instead of the SSD. Thankfully, the MBA doesn't seem to be anywhere near that bad.

mcdj
Feb 4, 2008, 09:46 PM
I don't have either computer, or pics, but I can tell you I played with an MBA yesterday and it doesn't open nearly as wide as my Powerbook 12".

This might be a deal killer for me, as I often lay on the couch with the PB balanced vertically on my chest and surf/watch movies. I can see the screen perfectly and the keyboard faces me. The MBA doesn't seem to open up much past 95 degrees or so from the keyboard, meaning the screen would be facing pretty much downward if I rested the front edge of the keyboard vertically on my chest, unless I rested the keyboard flat on my chest...then the screen would be too low and I wouldn't be able to see the keyboard.

can any actual MBA owners elaborate on this?

diabolic
Feb 4, 2008, 09:52 PM
can any actual MBA owners elaborate on this?

It opens far more than 95 degrees. I'd guess closer to 130 or so.

jjd
Feb 4, 2008, 09:53 PM
I think I will have to succomb and get an SSD MBA. I travel a lot and could really use the weight saving. I was thinking I would get the HDD, but after trying the two yesterday at 14th street, the SSD is a lot faster.

Question - what is the best, small, USB powered external drive I could get to pair with it when I need more storage (something highly portable). I am thinking that I could could have Fusion or Parallels with XP on it with a decent sized partition (don't think you can do Bootcamp from external). Any suggestions?

Acex88
Feb 4, 2008, 11:02 PM
I think I will have to succomb and get an SSD MBA. I travel a lot and could really use the weight saving. I was thinking I would get the HDD, but after trying the two yesterday at 14th street, the SSD is a lot faster.

Question - what is the best, small, USB powered external drive I could get to pair with it when I need more storage (something highly portable). I am thinking that I could could have Fusion or Parallels with XP on it with a decent sized partition (don't think you can do Bootcamp from external). Any suggestions?

Small, portable, sleek, and good storage drive I'd have to say the Western Digital Portable.

Its USB self powered 320 GB and only $199 !

The glossy black would compliment the MBA nicely too. Check it out

bajajoe
Feb 4, 2008, 11:44 PM
I have had the Air apparent to my laptop needs for two days and I am infatuated. Possibly by tomorrow Ill be in love . The machine is super and I never thought I would be this impressed. The air is running fine no problems ,speed is excellent, Office '08 works flawlessly still wish there was outlook but entourage is is growing on me. This Mac is a small apple with a lot of good tastes. 1.8, 80 gig HD

NYCMacFan
Feb 4, 2008, 11:49 PM

There are some really tiny external drives out there these days. Small ones are powerable by USB and so very handy and easy to travel with if you want it. Personally, I love the WD Passport for sleekness and portability (0.2 lbs).

BPerdeck
Feb 5, 2008, 12:34 AM

I just got a western digital passport 250GB for my upcoming laptop. It's nice looking, black to match the macbook air and really portable. check it out.

rroback
Feb 5, 2008, 12:38 AM
I finally got to the apple store and checked the air out, and it really is amazing.

amazing enough to want to sell my 17in mbp. I love my mbp, but carrying it around all day is a haul. I currently use it for some editing, but most of that is done on my mac pro. A smart move would be to ditch the mbp, lose some editing ability, but have a much easier time traveling. I don't need a cd drive, i just need to be able to look through photos on the road, maybe do very basic ps stuff ( like crop...) and mostly type a lot of crap in class. opening safari and other programs was super fast. anyone want to be a 2.16ghz mbp? ... contact me!

ctt1wbw
Feb 5, 2008, 12:39 AM
I have a question for the haters and trolls out there:

How are all these people with Macbook Airs able to post online here without a firewire port or an optical drive? I thought all of you trolls said that made an underpowered computer and therefore worthless. So how are they able to do it? :D

butterfly0fdoom
Feb 5, 2008, 01:02 AM
The demo unit at my place of labor (my university's bookstore's computer department) arrived (but only the demo unit, much to the disappointment of the 40 people that pre-ordered an MBA). Naturally, it's just a 1.6 with the HDD.

Of course, it's a clean machine, but it was still rather swift (for everyday tasks). Garageband took a decent amount of time to load (but it was still faster than my former 1.5 Core Solo Mac mini, of course).

It's so thin and sleek, I was absolutely mesmerized. The fit-and-finish for the port slide-out could use some examining, however; in the close position, it still protrudes slightly. It's heavier than you'd think it is, too. I thought it would be a featherweight, but it felt substantial, like the iPhone. I'd count that more as a benefit, however. In contrast with the Sony TZ, which feels like nothing, the Air has substance.

One of the full-timers wanted to try out remote disk, but either the installation screwed up or the school's network isn't remote disk-friendly since we couldn't get it to work (to be fair, the installation of the drivers was completed a minute before closing, giving us little time to experiment.

Given the way the MBA is designed (both the computer and the packaging), it's clear to me the direction Apple's going with the MBA. The iMac was revolutionary because in how it eliminated legacy ports and floppy drives, features that people bemoaned and have now become myth to the younger generation. Media is shifting towards online distribution as the younger generation, making the requirement of an internal optical drive less absolute. Many mobile devices use Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, either natively or through accessories, reducing amount of USB ports needed. Wi-Fi hotspots are also increasing and as 802.11 technology improves, wireless speeds and coverage will improve, making ethernet, and not Wi-Fi, the optional connection means. As airlines retrofit their planes and acquire new planes, power ports are being added; new airport terminals increasingly have easy-access power ports, and many public areas are making power ports more accessible. With access to electricity becoming easier and the power brick being shrunken, the integrated battery becomes less of a crippling factor. The only thing the MBA really needs in order to be as revolutionary as the iMac is an internal tri-band HSDPA/UTMS radio, as cellular internet is increasing in coverage and speeds, as well. Sure, IBM/Lenovo's X series has been around for a while, but Apple receives a lot more media coverage, is more prominent in the mainstream consciousness, and tends to be more influential in the technology industry than IBM/Lenovo.

profiteor
Feb 5, 2008, 03:13 AM
Same issue.. the fan on this thing goes wild.

I have iStat Menus and the processor on this thing peaks a lot. syslogd seems to be the culprit much of the time. Perhaps its Time Machine?

Anyways, I really hope that Apple releases something to deal with the fan issue because I don't think they've quite tweaked the temperature settings on this thing properly. It's at full blast way too often. Maybe the thing doesn't cool well enough, but it's way too loud of a computer right now.

By chance, did you migrate your settings from another Mac?

I had this problem for an hour. Yes I was plugged into AC, but smcFanControl was showing me that the fan was going bonkers (which my ears confirmed). Ended up being a problem with the imported Airport settings -- the machine somehow got confused as to which en0 was (I had the USB Ethernet thing plugged in). It tried to control transmit power on the Ethernet adapter, which was monumentally fail on its part. I had to nuke some configuration files, and the log stopped spewing. Fan calmed down after that.

The machine does seem allergic to medium processor loads, especially on AC. The machine does not feel hot to me, but perhaps the fan is being proactive.

netdog
Feb 5, 2008, 03:26 AM
That's surely only a matter of time? If you don't count the Mini, it's the only Mac line that isn't aluminium/black now...

I guess they'll let the MBAs bed in for a while, and then do a revision to the 'babies' of the line. That would be my guess, anyway.

Um....the MacBook is now the only Mac line that isn't aluminum and black?

MacBook Pro - Aluminum with silver keys. White Apple.
Mac Pro - All aluminum. White keys on included keyboard. White Apple.
Mac Mini - White and Aluminum. Grey Apple.
MacBook - As already pointed out, not aluminum and black. Black or white with white Apple.

Guess that means that the iMac and the MacBook Air are the only Macs that are aluminum and black.

I'm okay with the alu/black on the air but I think it is pretty wretched on the iMac. That black Apple is really kind of gross. All in all, a flashy design, lacking the quiet elegance and taste that Apple is so famous for.

trojanman2011
Feb 5, 2008, 04:53 AM
I got my 1.6 ghz 80 GB HD MBA today. My first impression when seeing it in the store was shock. Photos of this thing simply do not do it justice. As a long time Apple fan and former Apple employee, I can honestly say that from a design standpoint, this is probably the most impressive product Apple has made. It is without a doubt the most attractive, if not downright sexy notebooks I've ever seen, and it provides the large screen and full size keyboard of full notebook, vastly out-classing all of its subnotebook competitors. Even if you have no plans to buy one, it's worth a trip to the Apple Store just to play around with one.

Before purchasing mine today, I played around with the SSD model in the store. I have to say, it is FAST. Apps launched instantly. There was absolutely no delay. It was unreal.

Despite the fact that I'd just bought a MacBook Air, I left the store a little disappointed that I couldn't afford the SSD version. I was pleasantly surprised however after working on mine all day that the 4,200 RPM HD is nowhere near the issue I thought it would be. It feels quite snappy overall, and only shows its slow speed when booting (about 90 secs) and launching larger apps (iphoto and garageband are noticable examples here), but otherwise it does not seem to be an issue.

Apple also considerately left out any trialware like office or iWork to avoid cramping the already small HD.

Really no complaints so far. Overall I give it A (would have been A+ if the battery life were a tad better).

diabolic
Feb 5, 2008, 08:02 AM
Before purchasing mine today, I played around with the SSD model in the store. I have to say, it is FAST. Apps launched instantly. There was absolutely no delay. It was unreal.

It's amazingly quick. For me Mail loads in 1 second, Safari in less than 2 seconds. Starting at powered off, it takes 37 seconds to boot. A restart takes 28 seconds.

After a day of using it, I haven't found anything terribly wrong. No wobbly feet on mine. My first battery charge did get me over 4 hours of use set on "Better Battery Life". I didn't do any huge file operations and was mostly using it for email and web browsing. The only slight annoyance is that the front edge seems a little sharper than I'd like.

burlsnuff
Feb 5, 2008, 08:03 AM
Was happy to snag a MBA at the 14th St Store in NYC yesterday morning - Got home and began the migration via WiFi....BIG MISTAKE - I migrated 55 gigs from my old MacBook to the MBA and it took a ridiculous 18 hours! First Apple should put their pride behind them and not really promote the WiFi migration as a practical method of the first transfer and include the $29.00 Ethernet-to-USB dongle in the box; if they are not going to do that then salesman and people at the register should ask how you will be migrating your files to the MBA and that the dongle would save you loads of time and highly recommend buying one at $29.00.

I admit that I was naive in not calculating the time it would take to migrate 55 gigs of files - given the rate of transfer via WiFi it makes sense that it took 18 hours - but this is one of those calculations that most people (including myself) do not fully understand just how much information 55 gigs is - but if we think about it, it is a hell of a lot of info.

So that it is - GET THE DONGLE and save some yourself some time so you can start fondling the MBA asap which is the reason we are so eager to get one in the first place.

barefeats
Feb 5, 2008, 08:40 AM
I drove the 140 mile round trip yesterday to the only Apple Retail Store in San Diego County with the 1.8GHz MBA with SSD in stock. They were nice enough to call me when it came in and put my name on it until I could get there.

The SSD is great. It's fast. Small random reads are twice as fast as the 7K 200G drive in the MacBook Pro in our lab. Small random writes are equally as fast. Open the lid to "wake" the MBA? Boom! Instant response. And it's quiet. I bet it's easy on battery life since it doesn't have to spin up.

Great keyboard. Love the key action. Love the backlighting.

It's the MINI Cooper S of Mac laptops: small, quick, light, and fun. And being a proud owner of a MINI Cooper S "JCW," it's the perfect accessory to take along for the ride.

mctheriot
Feb 5, 2008, 08:47 AM
It goes to show you how fast computers are for common tasks - you use very little of the power you have.

- For common tasks: web, email, word processing, general applications - I notice no difference in the "speed" of the unit compared to my old 2.16 MacBook or my 2.4 iMac.

- Booting up is slower - about 20 seconds.

- Simple excel spreadsheets show no speed difference. Recalculating a very, very large table was noticed as being slower

- Using the DVD drive on my iMac was simple and worked well. (Reboot the Air also after installing the SW on your desktop). Office 2008 loaded painlessly in about 8 - 10 minutes

- I found it easier to copy all my data to a USB drive and then load directly from there to the Air. The wireless capabilities work well with no flaws that I noticed but it will be slow.

- Sitting at my desk right now with USB keyboard and mouse driving a 20" display and the experience in this mode (including speed for all but the largest spread-sheets) is idential to my MacBook yesterday.

Hope this helps!
Mark

bjdraw
Feb 5, 2008, 09:06 AM
A couple of things I'd like to mention.

Migration Assistant works much faster from a USB Time Machine backup, plus this is a great test to ensure TM is actually working. (duh, 480Mbps, is faster than 802.11N or 10/100 Ethernet)

If you plan to do a re-install to save ~8GB of space (YMMV) use the USB Ethernet adapter and a cat5 cable plugged directly into your other Mac running remote disc to speed things along.

Did I mention, that I love this thing?

jameskohn
Feb 5, 2008, 09:07 AM
After reading about it in these threads, I downloaded and ran monolingual last night. I freed up 2.6 GB on my SSD. I now have 41GB available out of a total capacity of 55GB. That's more than I can imagine ever needing on my laptop.

Yesterday I put my 12" PowerBook on eBay. Before I did a clean install of OS X, I checked the hard drive: after using it for 2 1/2 years I still had 20GB available on the 60GB drive. That's with tons of vacation photos, some music, and everything else that accumulates over time.

Drive space will not be an issue, and I'm really glad I opted for the SSD. The irony is that it makes some of the applications on my MacPro 3Ghz quad seem slow by comparison!

scottkifnw
Feb 5, 2008, 09:25 AM

Just got my MBA 1.8/80 yesterday. The unit gets a bit warm, but didn't cook my nads. The hinge looks solid. It was noted that it only opens to ~ 120 degrees, and I agree-it would be better if it opened more, however the screen has a wide viewing angle and is awesome. I really don't notice significant noise. The wobble is present for mine too, but it depends on the surface it is sitting on.

So far, for writing, surfing, etc. the machine is more than enough zippy. The HDD is much slower booting, but otherwise very fast. Hope this helps.

scottkifnw
Feb 5, 2008, 09:35 AM
1.8 wth SSD

arrived at 10am EST today(monday)

unboxed, charged (about an hour)
used mac synch to populate key apps: mail, cal, address book. safari, settings, keychain

downloaded 1password.

used dongle to hook up to a plasma tv. awesome :D

loaded max osx disc in my imac and added disk sharing software(haven't tried it)

time to sit down with the book and learn how to use it(finger swirls, ...)

had a group of 4 home theater techs over working on a new setup. they all loved it!

Just got my MBA yesterday 1.8/80, and so far, loving it. I am a newbie convert. The guys at applestore said I really don't need any software, but I was wondering about the 1password program. You have it obviously, would you recommend it and why/why not?

Thanks for you feedback.

scottkifnw
Feb 5, 2008, 09:48 AM
I want to buy a new Mac laptop for my wife. We don't have any Mac computers yet, but we are about to migrate our home to Macs.

She wants a laptop with a backlit keyboard. The current choices are: MBP and MB Air. I don't like the way MBP looks at all. Additionally, it gets very hot, so I would much rather get her a Mac Book, but it has no backlit keyboard, so it's out. I was very excited about the MB Air, especially the fact that it has a backlit keyboard. I got my wife really interested in this laptop when it came out three weeks ago. We went to a couple Apple stores last weekend and played with the MB Air. I personally consider MB Air to be a niche product and in no way a laptop that can become a replacement for your home computer. Instead, it complements a desktop or another more powerful laptop. However, I admit that students may find the portability factor of this laptop compelling enough to make it their own computer while attending college.

The problem I have with this laptop is the fact that the price is basically the same as MBP when you add a NIC and an external Superdrive, but the specs are way below MBP. I am not so much concerned about the HD space because I keep all of my files on a NAS, but the HD speed (4200 rpms) and the fixed amount of RAM (2GB) is a major concern. What I am afraid of is the fact that this laptop may not be up to par when doing something a little more resource intensive, such as editing photos, making home videos, maybe recording in Garage Band, etc. We don't do much of that now, but as we go forward, this is something that we might be interested in.

The thing that really got me concerned about the performance of MB Air was the fact that the Apple store I was in last weekend had the background set for a slide show. So, the background was changing every 5 sec. I opened Mail and locked one of the keys on the keyboard to make the effect of “llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll”. Every time the background was changing, the string of repeating characters would stop for about 0.5 sec and then accelerate again. So, the simple task of changing slides was too intensive for this laptop to do in parallel something as simple as text entry. I decided to repeat the same test on a MB, and the delay in the repeating characters was barely noticeable – maybe 1/10 of a sec instead of half a second on the MB Air.

I understand that this laptop was not designed to be a powerhouse, and I am not talking about doing professional video editing with Final Cut Pro, etc. I would like to know, though, if this laptop is more than just a glorified iPod Touch, and can do normal day-to-day tasks beyond mere text editing, internet, and email. So, has anyone tried to use this laptop for more than just text editing, internet browsing and email?

I have heard rumors that MBP is about to be updated. Has anyone heard when this update is expected? I would be willing to wait a few weeks if MBP are going to be updated soon. Maybe Apple will put MBP in a new enclosure and do something to prevent it from getting so darn hot!

Last question -- Has anyone heard if MBs are going to be updated soon? Will Apple finally put them in aluminum this year? If so, when? Any rumors if MBs will get a backlit keyboard just like MB Air's?

Thanks.

You may want to wait to see what is offered in the next couple of weeks. Anything you do will be a compromise as you noted above. You just have to decide on the best fit for you, and new units are rumored to be in the offing in the next couple of weeks or so.

jjd
Feb 5, 2008, 09:49 AM
Has anyone yet got XP up on running on an SSD with Bootcamp? What about with Fusion/ Parallels?

teerexx52
Feb 5, 2008, 10:20 AM
Does anyone know if the MacBook Air Super Drive works with other Apple Notebooks?

jjd
Feb 5, 2008, 10:41 AM
There are some really tiny external drives out there these days. Small ones are powerable by USB and so very handy and easy to travel with if you want it. Personally, I love the WD Passport for sleekness and portability (0.2 lbs).

Thanks for this and the other Passport recommendations. But, I have read that some laptops do not have sufficient power through the USB port to power these drives reliably. Some people resort to using a Y connector to draw power from 2 USB ports - not gonna happen on an MBA. Could someone who has their MBA lets us know whether you able to mount and use a UBS-only powered external HDD?

kming05
Feb 5, 2008, 11:00 AM
so i guess i'll post up my "first impressions" after getting it yesterday morning and using it all day.

1.8/80HD + superdrive

well first off, i'm a convert. i have used a dell 600m for the past three years. i had been waiting awhile for a new release of the macbookpro, but after the macbookair came out, i really realized that i would never use a pro to its full potential, in that all i do is browse, chat, use ms office applications, watch dvds, and yeah thats really about it. so pretty light stuff which i was sure the mba could hold up for me just fine - in that it will be my primary computer for the time being with maybe a imac in the summer.

the mbair - did not dissapoint at all. its beautiful. build quality is impeccable to say the least. screen is bright as heck, even at half brightness brighter than my former dell.

as for speed, not that im a huge computer savy guy or anything, but it feels fast for all of my needs. only time i noticed something remotely close to slow was that it took about 10 seconds for word 08 to load.

as for USB issues, i have a powered hub connected to a external HD, shuffle dock, ipod dock, and printer and its working great - no issues at all.

the operating itself, is amazing. i keep asking myself "why didn't i switch earlier?"

so for most of you, the mba fits into your life as a great secondary computer, but for my needs, it looks like it will work just fine as my primary.

overall... impressed and more than satisfied. no regrets at all.

though i do enjoy using firefox more, hope they update it soon to incorporate the gestures!

clayj
Feb 5, 2008, 11:03 AM
Does anyone know if the MacBook Air Super Drive works with other Apple Notebooks?It does NOT work with ANY other notebook or desktop computer. The MBA SuperDrive requires more power than is provided by typical USB ports; only the USB port on the MBA provides sufficient power to power the MBA SuperDrive.

Catch
Feb 5, 2008, 11:19 AM
It does NOT work with ANY other notebook or desktop computer. The MBA SuperDrive requires more power than is provided by typical USB ports; only the USB port on the MBA provides sufficient power to power the MBA SuperDrive.

Good news on the power. Should power the WD Passports fine then I hope; since I have one on order. :o

C

clayj
Feb 5, 2008, 11:32 AM
Good news on the power. Should power the WD Passports fine then I hope; since I have one on order. :o

CMe, too. I have one of the new WD My Passport Essential 320 GB HDs coming in tomorrow... my plan is to put all of my media on it (even though I found out last night that my 1.8/SSD MBA *does* have enough space to hold my entire music collection, which is nice), as well as other stuff I might need, and do all that from my Mac Pro. Then I'll just stick the hard drive in my backpack and only plug it in to my MBA if I really need a file I don't already have.

robby818
Feb 5, 2008, 01:13 PM
Just got my 1.8/80. I had an IBM Thinkpad X41t that also used a 1.8" hard drive and lagged horrifically on basic tasks such as loading the start menu (widely attributed to the HD speed) so I had fears about ordering the HDD instead of the SSD. Thankfully, the MBA doesn't seem to be anywhere near that bad.

I returned an x40 for an x32 a couple of years ago because the hard drive on the x40 was so slow. What a difference the 2.5" drive made!

I agree that the MBA doesn't have the same annoying lag as the x40 BUT if you try using the SSD MBA then you will really notice how much better SSD is. The MBA coupled with SSD is a great match, now the HDD seems a bit out of place with the design goals of the MBA. A compromise to get it below $2000. Good for those of us looking for an "affordable" ultraportable, but still after using SSD, I really want it. During the keynote I eliminated it due to the exorbitant price, now i am thinking I am really going to regret not getting it.

ahaxton
Feb 5, 2008, 01:28 PM
I returned an x40 for an x32 a couple of years ago because the hard drive on the x40 was so slow. What a difference the 2.5" drive made!

I agree that the MBA doesn't have the same annoying lag as the x40 BUT if you try using the SSD MBA then you will really notice how much better SSD is. The MBA coupled with SSD is a great match, now the HDD seems a bit out of place with the design goals of the MBA. A compromise to get it below $2000. Good for those of us looking for an "affordable" ultraportable, but still after using SSD, I really want it. During the keynote I eliminated it due to the exorbitant price, now i am thinking I am really going to regret not getting it.

Well for those who got the basic, I think you'll be fine. Just think, you have some saved up money for rev 2 :)

richard371
Feb 5, 2008, 01:46 PM
The 1.8 SSD is 1300 more. For the avg Joe that's a lot of money. Unfortunately I have more time then money so I went with the HDD. I think the biggest diff in speed will be when you boot but I hardly ever do that as I just suspend and it is fast.

If your company is paying for it or your loaded go with the SSD. If you are practical or even somewhat practical go with the HDD. I can tell you the ssd technology will depreciate faster then you can say "air". Also the hdd is durable enough. They have been used in millions of ipods and they bounce around more then your laptop.

Also the 16 extra GB is a nice bonus on these small drives.

Well for those who got the basic, I think you'll be fine. Just think, you have some saved up money for rev 2 :)

SteveSparks
Feb 5, 2008, 02:02 PM
I've had my Macbook Air for about 24 hours.

What I have liked:

Size is amazing. I love a "small" computer and while this is a 13" screen it is small in a form factor that I will really use.

The screen is very nice. I have almost the same screen on my MacBook Pro, but the new screen in a 13" factor is very nice.

Keyboard lighting is great. I have the backlight keyboard on my Pro and having in on my "everyday" system is going to be a huge bonus.

The system performance is doing just fine. I've loaded up the typical applications, added lots of tunes for itunes and imported photos into iPhoto.
The time to get this all loaded was what I would expect.

The battery life seems to be nice. I doubt I will get 5 hours, however its a lot longer than my Macbook Pro and after I turn down the display backlight and a few notches on the keyboard light, I am getting a clock that shows 4+ hours. It's saying 4:05 right now and I have been at lunch for an hour, and 40 minutes have been reading mac rumors.

The 45W power adapter size is VERY nice!

Things I don't like:

The superdrive needs to work on a USB hub. I am thinking of returning the drive and just using my old clunker DVD drive in place of the super drive. With one USB port I can't run the drive and ethernet at work. We have secure wireless but I need to get access to the SECURE! SECURE! network and that is wired only.

The audio jack should be a audio/mic jack like the iphone. Thus allowing fora breakout cable or using an iphone headset.

The Ethernet jack is too expensive. This should be $10. I know its from apple but really the price is stupid.

Catch
Feb 5, 2008, 02:35 PM
We have secure wireless but I need to get access to the SECURE! SECURE! network and that is wired only.

Stick an Airport Express on it. Just don't tell anyone! :eek:;)

All these great reviews and mine is on a plane, dying to get to play with it in person...

C

cedar
Feb 5, 2008, 03:17 PM
My MBA's battery takes hours to charge, a lot longer than my Toshiba PC. Anyone else experiencing this or is it just the nature of these type batteries?

NYCubby
Feb 5, 2008, 03:28 PM
Yup!

First I did a fresh OSX install omitting the extra languages and all of iLife except for iPhoto -- saved about 7gb.

I partitioned 20gb for Windows Vista -- and get this, I installed it using a desktop IDE DVD-Rom drive using an IDE to USB adapter cable I had.... Didn't want to have to buy a Superdrive just to install Windows.

Worked like a charm and the system is working great. After loading MS Office 2008 on the mac side and Part of MS Office 2007 on the Windows side, I have about 8gb free on Windows (out of 20gb) and 24gb on OSX. More than enough for my needs....

Aaron

Has anyone yet got XP up on running on an SSD with Bootcamp? What about with Fusion/ Parallels?

Feb 5, 2008, 03:53 PM
My PowerBook G4 finally died so I'll be getting a MacBook Air.

I pulled the hard drive from the PBG4 and put it in a USB case. Can I plug that drive into the MBA and use the migration assistant?

robby818
Feb 5, 2008, 04:17 PM
The 1.8 SSD is 1300 more. For the avg Joe that's a lot of money. Unfortunately I have more time then money so I went with the HDD. I think the biggest diff in speed will be when you boot but I hardly ever do that as I just suspend and it is fast.

If your company is paying for it or your loaded go with the SSD. If you are practical or even somewhat practical go with the HDD. I can tell you the ssd technology will depreciate faster then you can say "air". Also the hdd is durable enough. They have been used in millions of ipods and they bounce around more then your laptop.

Also the 16 extra GB is a nice bonus on these small drives.

Good point. The SSD is a luxury item for most people, to bad it is just sooo much right now.

I went to the Apple store in Pasadena during my lunch hour and played with the two versions of the MBA (again). I did a cold boot and this time I got 40 seconds for the SSD and 51 seconds for the HDD. Not bad at all. For some reason at the glendale store i saw boot times close to 2x (1:03 and 1:40) what i experienced at pasadena.

Loading web pages only seemed slightly faster on the SSD. Maybe the HDD will be OK for now.

barefeats
Feb 5, 2008, 04:26 PM
My PowerBook G4 finally died so I'll be getting a MacBook Air.

I pulled the hard drive from the PBG4 and put it in a USB case. Can I plug that drive into the MBA and use the migration assistant?

It should work but you might need an AC adapter for the USB case, depending on how much wattage the drive and the enclosure's bridgeboard require. For example, I tried hooking up a quad interface enclosure with a 7K noteook drive. It would not mount until I added the AC adapter.

applestew
Feb 5, 2008, 04:42 PM
/i'm from Singapore and I just received my Macbook Air yesterday evening! I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with TNT for helping me dig up the package the moment the plane landed.

First impression was THIN, THIN, THIN! Even my wife who was looking on as I ripped the package open exclaimed at the sleekness of this beauty.

The screen is simply gorgeous.

Using this as my secondary on-the-road computer. Also my first Mac. Most of the functions run along fast enough. I have no comparison of course with another Mac.

The other thing I was impressed about was how solid the flip open port compartment feels. U have to try it to know what I mean. I have a Vaio T series and the cover on some of the ports feel really plasticky and flimsy.

So far I am impressed!

As for some reported stuff from others.... My Air sits firmly on flat surfaces, no heat issues, no dead pixels!

gcmexico
Feb 5, 2008, 04:45 PM
I absolutely love my MacAir!!! Meets and surpasses all my expectations...I'm a teacher and use keynote, the Air connects perfectly to my projector...I connected a small USB hub with 4 slots, I connect my USB Verizon wireless, and remote for keynote with no problem. I bought the 1.8 80HD...runs smoothly...after getting rid of some excess fat, and putting in all the programs I really use I have 65gb left. That is way more than enough for anything else I need. Best part is that it weighs NOTHING, my bag feels empty, and everyone is blown away with how beautiful it looks, my kids are awwed and my fellow teachers all now want it. Hurray for Apple!! (I guess I'm an Apple fanatic, I've seen that term around lately):D

barefeats
Feb 5, 2008, 04:47 PM
Migration Assistant works much faster from a USB Time Machine backup, plus this is a great test to ensure TM is actually working. (duh, 480Mbps, is faster than 802.11N or 10/100 Ethernet)

According to the specs, 802.11N is rated at 540Mbps. That should make it faster than USB 2.0 (480Mbps). However, in a recent test, we copied a 1GB document between two Macs with 802.11n support. It took 261 sec (or 4 min 35 sec), which is 4MB/s (or 40Mbps?). In our recent test of a USB 2.0 notebook enclosure, we didn't copy a file from the drive to the MacBook Air but QuickBench 4 rated it at 31MB/s sustained READ. The MacBook Air SSD is rated at 30MB/s sustained WRITE. I'll give that a try and report back. I'll also try 1GB folder of many smaller files.

blackosx
Feb 5, 2008, 06:38 PM
Okay..ive never seen the macbook air in person till about 3 hours ago. This thing is sooo krazy looking and sharp! It makes me wanna use it to cut some lettuce and make a salad. Ive been waiting for the new macbook pro to come out...but if it doesnt come out to be a little thinner than it already is..then ill just buy the macbook air, cause damn...:)

bwiley
Feb 5, 2008, 06:55 PM
According to the specs, 802.11N is rated at 540Mbps. That should make it faster than USB 2.0 (480Mbps). However, in a recent test, we copied a 1GB document between two Macs with 802.11n support. It took 261 sec (or 4 min 35 sec), which is 4MB/s (or 40Mbps?). In our recent test of a USB 2.0 notebook enclosure, we didn't copy a file from the drive to the MacBook Air but QuickBench 4 rated it at 31MB/s sustained READ. The MacBook Air SSD is rated at 30MB/s sustained WRITE. I'll give that a try and report back. I'll also try 1GB folder of many smaller files.

Just an FYI, you nor anyone else will ever get 480Mbps with USB2.0, nor will you or anyone else get the advertised rates of WiFi. Long list of technical reasons for it, but the "general" benchmark for USB2.0 is around 160Mbps true application layer throughput (what you get to use after all of the overhead), and for 802.11n is is about 70Mbps to 100Mbps (depending on who you believe). As soon as you add 3 or more device connections (meaning point A to B plus one more), all rates go down. Also, with WiFi, if anyone is using an earlier generation to 802.11n (i.e, if your phone is using 802.11b at 11Mbps, which applies even if the phone isn't actually using the WiFi connection but simply with the WiFi turned on - has to do with network pinging), the whole WiFi network drops down to the lowest common denominator (i.e., 11Mbps, has to do with backward compatibility requirements in the IEEE 802.11 specification). The SSD write rates at 30Mbps is the true maximum, because no matter how fast your data pipe is getting data into the MBA it isn't going to eat (accept) data any faster than that. Your best bet to get that 30Mbps is a direct point-point USB cable connection, given all the things that can impact WiFi data rate (range, presence of 802.11b devices, etc.).

idealer
Feb 5, 2008, 07:18 PM
1.8/80gb - Keyboard rocks, seems just as snappy as my 2.16 macbook pro

Screen is awesome... don't miss anything yet I love how flat it feels under my hands...

e12a
Feb 5, 2008, 07:28 PM
We received one in our university comp store (the demo computer). I work at the tech dept. and we were able to see it before they put it on display. It looked pretty slick, but somehow they screwed up the original installation so OS X had to be reinstalled on the MBA.

switz
Feb 5, 2008, 08:56 PM
Today, I have reloaded OS X twice on the MBA 1.8 SSD (which I purchased from a local Apple store last night since the ordered unit with iWork has a non defined delivery date) due to a hiccup on the first reload. I omitted unnecessary printer drivers, languages, and optional software and gained about 8Gb of drive space, showing nearly 47Gb available for whatever. I tried using wireless on file transfer and the ethernet with the dongle was faster going through the same 801.n Airport Hub that was three feet away. The Superdrive was definitely the way to go to load programs. The unit feels snappy on doing installation work and moving files around from iDisk etc. Most of the time the fan is silent. I think whoever gets one will be pleased with all aspects of this computer keeping in mind all the constraints.

I installed the Verizion USB WWAN modem drivers for a test drive. It worked fine for an internet connection. However, with no printer available because of only one USB port, the only choice is to print to a pdf file and print the document out later or on a remote printer. I small powered mobile laptop USB Hub might solve that problem. iDisk access is really slow over the Verizon connection.... Musical chairs with three USB devices while loading is tedious. Under normal situations, one would load from a CD/DVD using the Superdrive and then switch the connection to ethernet/wireless to check for updates. One will want their system printer to be on a Airport USB hub or ethernet so one can use the USB/ethernet dongle if their wireless connection is slow.

That's my story to date.

BPerdeck
Feb 5, 2008, 09:39 PM
Seems pretty good so far Im just wiping mine and removing printer drivers, languages etc that consume about 10 gb of hard drive lol. After im done ill post some additional impressions. The SuperDrive seems much faster than the internal option but i could be wrong. I started reformatting my macbook pro around 30 minutes before this and im almost onto the second dvd.

In OSX it was pretty snappy but nowhere near as fast as my pro obviously. I got the 80gb 4200rpm drive which I'm sure is the main reason but boot up is noticeably longer than the pro. Also when they fan spun up it was def. audible. I could hear it from the doorway when i walked into my room and thought it was the mbp because I have them side by side but turns out its the air. I'll give a better writeup later, but as of now Im pretty happy with it.
how do you go about wiping out printer drivers and all that un needed crap? sorry for the noob question lol.

SteveSparks
Feb 5, 2008, 09:40 PM

Not I. I bought this to Run Mac OS. I sold 3 laptops to get mine (my 3rd mac) all Vista./XP systems and doubt I will ever look back.

SteveSparks
Feb 5, 2008, 09:50 PM
Went to the Apple Store to see one.

GOD, I WANT ONE! :eek:

They're awesome...

Actually, I love the black MacBook like keys and the Aluminum.

I would really rather have an Aluminum MacBook with the same Alumimum enclosure (not thin obviously) and the black back-lit MacBook keys. Tired of the "white" and the extra $ for black isn't worth it to me.

I need the larger hard disk and built-in optical.

The MBA is awesome too!

Grab one and run!! :D

MazingerZ
Feb 5, 2008, 09:57 PM
how do you go about wiping out printer drivers and all that un needed crap? sorry for the noob question lol.
http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook_Air%3A_Complete_Steps_to_Perform_an_OS_X_Reinstall

BPerdeck
Feb 5, 2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks!

camarobh
Feb 5, 2008, 10:05 PM
Took the plunge and brought home a MBA SSD. Love it so far....

SteveSparks
Feb 5, 2008, 10:20 PM
Stick an Airport Express on it. Just don't tell anyone! :eek:;)

Ya! I mean WEP is secure right? Maybe set my password to 1234567890 :p

cherishbearpapa
Feb 6, 2008, 12:55 AM
Could you please try this sample of Transformers in 1080p with your new Air and let me know if it's watchable (smooth/jerky)?

http://rapidshare.com/files/65877715/Transformers.HDDVD.1080p_20DTS.x264-CtrlHD.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/65877592/Transformers.HDDVD.1080p_20DTS.x264-CtrlHD.part2.rar

Please use VLC to play the file above.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

THANKS A MILLION MATE!!!!!!

steve31
Feb 6, 2008, 01:55 AM
just got mine. 1.8 SSD HD and love it. Cant get over how strudy this thing feels. I am VERY happy!:D

mrklaw
Feb 6, 2008, 03:11 AM
Today, I have reloaded OS X twice on the MBA 1.8 SSD (which I purchased from a local Apple store last night since the ordered unit with iWork has a non defined delivery date) due to a hiccup on the first reload. I omitted unnecessary printer drivers, languages, and optional software and gained about 8Gb of drive space, showing nearly 47Gb available for whatever. I tried using wireless on file transfer and the ethernet with the dongle was faster going through the same 801.n Airport Hub that was three feet away. The Superdrive was definitely the way to go to load programs. The unit feels snappy on doing installation work and moving files around from iDisk etc. Most of the time the fan is silent. I think whoever gets one will be pleased with all aspects of this computer keeping in mind all the constraints.

I installed the Verizion USB WWAN modem drivers for a test drive. It worked fine for an internet connection. However, with no printer available because of only one USB port, the only choice is to print to a pdf file and print the document out later or on a remote printer. I small powered mobile laptop USB Hub might solve that problem. iDisk access is really slow over the Verizon connection.... Musical chairs with three USB devices while loading is tedious. Under normal situations, one would load from a CD/DVD using the Superdrive and then switch the connection to ethernet/wireless to check for updates. One will want their system printer to be on a Airport USB hub or ethernet so one can use the USB/ethernet dongle if their wireless connection is slow.

That's my story to date.

that sounds reasonable to me. If you are using a laptop for anything that requires printing then I'd get a networked printer ASAP, its just so much more convenient, regardless of how many USB ports you have.

I have a HP2510 and its really handy to just be able to click 'print' and not worry about being connected to anything.

I am a little concerned about backups over network - I currently use a USB drive. How zealous is Time Machine? I don't want it backing up gigs of stuff every minute.

sirozha
Feb 6, 2008, 05:30 AM

That's my story to date.

You have two more printing options: wirelessly or via Bluetooth.