Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk8ordie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
California
Hello, Ive had my Sony vx2000 for the past 6 years and it has been great, I love the handle and mic.

Moving foward, what would be a good high def replacment? Is the only choice the HVRV1U ?

Post if you have any good recommendations, thanks.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
There's many options. Off the top of my head:

The Sony you listed.
Sony HDR-FX1
Canon XH-A1
Canon XL-H1
Panasonic HVX-200 (P2 cards, not tapes fyi)
JVC has a couple but I don't know the model numbers.

TomEdgar

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2005
Most low budget filmmakers I know used to use the Sony PD150 or 170, which was (is) the pro-sumer equivalent of the VX2000. Some moved to the Panasonic DVX-100 to shoot 24p or 25p. Now that HD is the thing, most of these folks seem to be using the Panasonic HVX-200. Writing HD to MiniDV tape requires too much compression for most filmmakers, so Panasonic's p2 cards are preferable until something better comes along.

kingkezz

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2006
The logical step up in my opinion from the Vx's/PD170s etc is the Z1. Simply an awesome camera. Or if you've got the cash, go the XDCAM EX mentioned above. P2 and the HVX are icky.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Depends if you will stick with tape or move to solid state recording.
The EX1 from Sony is a great camera, but you will probably have to upgrade your editing equipment (just guessing here)
The Canon A1 is a great camera, similar in form to what you are used to and records to tape.
I have the H1, because I need to be able to change the lens.
The HVX can produce great images, but I´m not a big fan.
The P2 technology is old already

trudd

macrumors regular
May 27, 2004
Texas
I have the XH-A1 and would buy it again. Good price, amazing image, and great interface.

I did some work with the EX1 today and was pretty annoyed at times. Sony is amazing at conceiving ideas, but cuts other corners that make trying to actually USE their equipment quite a headache.

The EX1 has 3 things that the A1 could benefit from:
1) Mechanical zoom, focus, iris
2) High resolution LCD screen
3) Solid state media

Unfortunately Sony still puts too many crucial options in the menu, which is already buggy, even for a first generation model.

sk8ordie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
California
What's your budget and what do you usually shoot?

Lethal

Budget is under $4K. I usually shoot skateboarding and family/friends events.

I know that all the options mentioned are overkill for my needs but Im pretty nerdy and like having excellent equipment.

sk8ordie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
California
Im leaning towards the Sony HDR-FX1, I know that many here dont like sony but Ive always had great experience with thier products.

Only downside is that it lacks the 24fps. That would be an awesome feature to have.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
From all my research I would prefer MiniDV, it is a proven format that works well.

Any reason NOT to go with MiniDV?

No.

There are reasons NOT to go with solid state media, mostly having to do with not having a simple and effective backup method that a tape is.

Spizzo

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Pacific NW
Im leaning towards the Sony HDR-FX1, I know that many here dont like sony but Ive always had great experience with thier products.

Only downside is that it lacks the 24fps. That would be an awesome feature to have.

I'm for mini DV too. If you are looking for 24fps, have you considered the canon? It has 24f (pretty much the same as 24p, you won't be able to tell the difference), and 20x zoom vs. 12x on the sony. It's a bit more, but if you want those features (probably more, I just didn't bother to compare them too close) the extra 500 or so might be worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.