PDA

View Full Version : SSD Battery life increase? The VERDICT?

pspiegel
Feb 1, 2008, 06:13 PM
Has anyone with an SSD MBA tested how long the battery will last yet? Run that thing til its empty and report back on the times!!

ahaxton
Feb 1, 2008, 06:14 PM
If I can get one tomorrow am here in Atlanta, that's the first thing I'm doing.

steve31
Feb 1, 2008, 06:34 PM
I am also very interested in this. waitting for mine.

ahaxton
Feb 1, 2008, 06:41 PM
Well just got a good call I think from the person opening the apple store tomorrow. She called about my appt for tomorrow morning. Was kind of an entertaining phone call with the whole "I can't really say, but we do have a few of what we call express shipments". She's going to call me when she gets in the morning before my personal shopper appt if its a yay or nay. She asked which version I wanted, I said SSD. She then said "ah the $3000 version". LOL It seemed like that might help me get one lol. PLEASE LET THIS WORK OUT TOMORROW MORNING!

BWhaler
Feb 1, 2008, 07:12 PM
Battery life was one of the key reasons why I spent the $1,000 for SSD.

I'm not expecting miracles, but another 30-60 minutes would make it worth it in my book.

johnkountz
Feb 1, 2008, 07:15 PM
Apple store in Bellevue WA had a MacBook Air today with the SDD option. It was fully charged when I disconnected the power adapter. The Battery meter showed remaining charge of 5 hours, 40 minutes.

By comparison, I get 4 hours and 15 minutes on my MacBook Pro SR 2.2 after fully changed, battery is 8 months old.

ahaxton
Feb 1, 2008, 07:18 PM
Apple store in Bellevue WA had a MacBook Air today with the SDD option. It was fully charged when I disconnected the power adapter. The Battery meter showed remaining charge of 5 hours, 40 minutes.

By comparison, I get 4 hours and 15 minutes on my MacBook Pro SR 2.2 after fully changed, battery is 8 months old.

Was it someone that posted removing charger from fully charged stock 1.6 model that it was like low 4 hour range?

dyerucf
Feb 1, 2008, 08:55 PM
Funny thing at the store today, I wanted to see if I could wait out a test or at least approximate a difference between the models battery life. The rep would not let me unplug the mag safe. Said he was told
I also asked them about the N wireless issue with older routers. I wanted to show the genius the article on Google news and he said he couldn't comment on that.

BWhaler
Feb 2, 2008, 12:29 AM

Wow. I hope that is the case. Perhaps with wireless off and the screen turned all the way down, I could get 6, 6.5 hours. I'd be very happy about that.

EDdoc
Feb 2, 2008, 12:54 AM
Has anyone with an SSD MBA tested how long the battery will last yet? Run that thing til its empty and report back on the times!!

Unplugged a 1.8 SSD today at the Glendale store. It was charged at 95% and showed 4:58 as time remaining.

pspiegel
Feb 2, 2008, 01:41 AM
do you guys usually have that meter show accurate time remaining? on both my macbook and macbook pro i have never had that meter to be accurate... maybe I just have poorly calibrated batteries though... i hope someone has some real world testing experiences soon!

AJ Muni
Feb 2, 2008, 09:27 AM
You can't take the "un-plug while fully charged and read the time remaining" seriously. That's just an estimate while the computer is completely idle. What you need to do is test it in REAL LIFE settings. Browse the web, obviously have the airport on, log into ichat, do what you would normally do. Try reading/writing to the SSD. Thats the only way you could get a reliable estimate(oxymoron?). After about 10 minutes of this use, you could get an idea. Hell when I unplug my macbook i get 6:30 of reading, but when I'm working on my macbook I get a realistic 4:30-5:00 hours.

Edit: Read all the media reviews, macworld, mossberg etc. They got about 3:30 hours on avg while using real-world settings. Obviously they were on the HDD, but most people say you get about 5-10% more using the SSD, so your probably looking at 3:50-4:00 which is not bad in my book. Now is it worth A THOUSAND DOLLARS? A THOUSAND? Of course not. SSD in notebooks is relatively new, you need to give the companies on both ends, time to develop the technology. I can only imagine what these machines are going to look like one year from now.

blairwillis
Feb 3, 2008, 09:46 PM
Why hasn't Apple posted "official specs" on the MacBook Air SSD model's battery life? I would think this to be a major selling point, so why not highlight the improvement (if it indeed exists)?

Perhaps the omission is something to be noted? ("Never believe something until it's officially denied...")

Drats! Another MBA conspiracy! :eek:

ubercool
Feb 3, 2008, 09:58 PM
Why hasn't Apple posted "official specs" on the MacBook Air SSD model's battery life? I would think this to be a major selling point, so why not highlight the improvement (if it indeed exists)?

Drats! Another MBA conspiracy! :eek:

Because the difference is not that significant. If I recall correctly, an SSD added about 15-20 minutes of battery life to a test conducted by Anantech. It's been a while since I saw that stat, so it will take me a while to dig it up at NotebookReview.com. :)

noservice2001
Feb 4, 2008, 09:48 AM
what about fully dim and all connections (BT, 801.11) off?

heatmiser
Feb 4, 2008, 09:56 AM
Because the difference is not that significant. If I recall correctly, an SSD added about 15-20 minutes of battery life to a test conducted by Anantech. It's been a while since I saw that stat, so it will take me a while to dig it up at NotebookReview.com. :)

Correct. You can bet if it increased life by a significant factor, Apple would have been the first to trumpet it (they still claim you can get up to 6 hours on MB/Ps!). With all the press they've pushed for the MBA, they wouldn't have omitted the chance to mention the extra life of the SSD model.