PDA

View Full Version : UK user reports reciept of Panther, includes photographs

MacBytes
Oct 21, 2003, 07:18 PM
Category: Mac OS X
Link: UK user reports reciept of Panther, includes photographs (http://www.macnn.com/news/21668)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

bobindashadows
Oct 21, 2003, 08:11 PM
awesome! I can't wait to get mine for the G5...

hacurio1
Oct 21, 2003, 08:11 PM
Sweet, camt wait to get mine

Powerbook G5
Oct 21, 2003, 08:13 PM
Wow, so soon? I am trying to get into my order status but the page doesn't seem to be working right now...it's been stuck on open since the last time I checked, though.

tizza
Oct 21, 2003, 08:13 PM
Wow it's out!! Still think I'll wait a few days though so I can selfishly hear what other problems people may have ;)

dho
Oct 21, 2003, 08:14 PM
sweet!

QCassidy352
Oct 21, 2003, 08:16 PM
hmm. this sort of ruins the big release party, doesn't it? Seems an odd move by apple, given the big deal they've made about the exact time and date, what with the countdown timer and all...

supercres
Oct 21, 2003, 08:16 PM
Jealous! :rolleyes:

Phatpat
Oct 21, 2003, 08:20 PM
Mine has been stuck on open too....but I can't wait to get panther on on my powerbook. I'll hopefully be heading over to the Michigan Avenue panther event, and come home to find that panther has arrived.

Stella
Oct 21, 2003, 08:21 PM
Post your reviews!

..and the majority have to wait until Friday... :-(

Lucky for some I suppose, enjoy!

rayzor
Oct 21, 2003, 08:22 PM
I'm having the same problem trying to get into my order status as well, the page doesn't seem to be working right now.

Lancetx
Oct 21, 2003, 08:29 PM
So much for the Europeans and in particular the British not getting any new Apple stuff first eh? ;)

Fitzcaraldo
Oct 21, 2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by QCassidy352
hmm. this sort of ruins the big release party, doesn't it? Seems an odd move by apple, given the big deal they've made about the exact time and date, what with the countdown timer and all...

Interestingly the English Countdown is synced with the Main Apple.com time (Yet London is ahead of USA by a few hours) and the Russian clock, set for the 25th, is some 16hrs 2 min behind? Korea looks to be one of the earliest offical releases?:confused:

Freg3000
Oct 21, 2003, 08:32 PM
I really like the inside flap for some reason. It looks really good.

Who am I kidding.....the whole thing looks good!

Just gotta wait for that eMac update first...

Chaszmyr
Oct 21, 2003, 08:32 PM
This is like dual 2ghz G5 nightmare all over again. My copy ordered the first day still hasnt shipped.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 21, 2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Fitzcaraldo
Interestingly the English Countdown is synced with the Main Apple.com time (Yet London is ahead of USA by a few hours) and the Russian clock, set for the 25th, is some 16hrs 2 min behind? Korea looks to be one of the earliest offical releases?:confused:

Korea's just across the International Date Line. The day starts in Korea before most other places on Planet Earth.

That said...Jesus H. Tapdancin' Christ. It's started :D

rodnarms
Oct 21, 2003, 08:37 PM
I think my Panther has not shipped yet. At least I havn't gotten an e-mail saying it has. I also cannot get into the Order Status page as well.

... Must learn patience.

Sherman
Oct 21, 2003, 08:37 PM
*brings up store.apple.com*
*orders panther*

Whee! Can't wait to get my copy.

scottwat
Oct 21, 2003, 08:49 PM
No fair, he even has a segway and one of those mini little euro cars. Thats no fair. Some guys have all the luck.

the_mole1314
Oct 21, 2003, 08:52 PM
HE'S GOT A SEGWAY!!! JERK!!!!! ;)

noverflow
Oct 21, 2003, 09:01 PM
I got my product professional copy... and loaded it on my g5.

my media keys (volume and eject) keys no longer work

latergator116
Oct 21, 2003, 09:05 PM
sweet!!! now i just have to wait and burn a copy from someone that gets it..

Dont you think it would be kinda cool to see apples timer when it actualy gets down to zero? I wonder what will happen?

kwajo.com
Oct 21, 2003, 09:11 PM
is it just me, or does the "panther" in the second pic have the best feline facial expression ever!:cool:

Docrjm
Oct 21, 2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by latergator116
:(
Don't you believe in purchasing your software??

latergator116
Oct 21, 2003, 09:13 PM
Don't you believe in purchasing your software??
Don't worry, I was just joking.

kwajo.com
Oct 21, 2003, 09:17 PM

Dont you think it would be kinda cool to see apples timer when it actualy gets down to zero? I wonder what will happen?

i never thought of that, i will have to have a nerd moment and sit there reloading to see what happens:(

Macmaniac
Oct 21, 2003, 09:21 PM
Our computer store has gotten Panther, and we put it on our demo machine, its so hot!
Expose makes my life so much easier:)

latergator116
Oct 21, 2003, 09:25 PM
i never thought of that, i will have to have a nerd moment and sit there reloading to see what happens
actualy i was thinking that the timer goes down to zero and suddenly the icon says something like"its here!!!", but im not sure if you would need to reload to see that.

j33pd0g
Oct 21, 2003, 09:29 PM
OK. So I cracked. I ordered it. I won't install it though until 10.3.1 comes out.

ebow
Oct 21, 2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by j33pd0g
OK. So I cracked. I ordered it. I won't install it though until 10.3.1 comes out.

Yeah, I've been thinking along those lines as well. Especially with my peculiar setup (I have my users on a separate partition, and I forget the method I used to put them there! :rolleyes: ).

Zeke
Oct 21, 2003, 09:43 PM
actualy i was thinking that the timer goes down to zero and suddenly the icon says something like"its here!!!", but im not sure if you would need to reload to see that.

My thought is it'll get to 0 and a panther will claw through the image with a loud roar. That'd be cool...and then..."It's here."

xtekdiver
Oct 21, 2003, 09:43 PM
That cat is too funny!

latergator116
Oct 21, 2003, 09:49 PM
My thought is it'll get to 0 and a panther will claw through the image with a loud roar. That'd be cool...and then..."It's here."
hahah. yeah that would be great. I hope they do something though. I am definately going to be watching it when it gets down to 0 !!!!

eyeluvmyimac
Oct 21, 2003, 09:51 PM
he also has 3 cinema displays, a g4, an imac, 2 pc lcds, a smart car, and a .mac account =)

lucky dog...

Phil Of Mac
Oct 21, 2003, 09:52 PM
If they used a canned big cat roar, I hope it's not the same one WSU uses at its football games....

tjwett
Oct 21, 2003, 09:54 PM
not only did this guy receive Panther early but he's also got 3 Studio Displays, what appears to be a pretty mean PC setup, a kickass car, and to top it all off; a Segway!?! some guys have all the luck. :rolleyes:

Romanesq
Oct 21, 2003, 09:55 PM
that kind of publicity. I mean how cool is that series of photos with the nice panther, or kitty.

Now that is so friggin awesome, I would think that someone at Apple was behind it.

Just to make us all a little crazy.
Then again, folks here have made the apple store a little crazy. Tomorrow a lot of folks will be getting emails.

We are all friggin crazy! :eek:
But it's all such great fun.:D

etoiles
Oct 21, 2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by tjwett
not only did this guy receive Panther early but he's also got 3 Studio Displays, what appears to be a pretty mean PC setup, a kickass car, and to top it all off; a Segway!?! some guys have all the luck. :rolleyes:

AND he is retired...got all the time to play with his toys. Must have done something really good in his previous life :D

rikers_mailbox
Oct 21, 2003, 10:08 PM

My money says new Apple website design. That's why all the times are sync-ed up globally. . . so they can switch over to the new design right when counters hit zero.

Remember the site redesign rumor awhile ago?
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/08/20030827204103.shtml

What better way to show off a new OS to all those Windoze users paying a visit for their iTunes??

aje
Oct 21, 2003, 10:09 PM
rather than wait to see what happens when the countdown gets to zero, i downloaded the apple website and set my computers date to the 'appointed hour'.

unfortunately when the timer gets to zero - it just resets to 0 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds.

so i guess apple will pull the graphic or possibly replace the current one in the last hour with a more impressive end sequence (saving bandwidth because a impressive finish will result in a bigger quicktime movie.)

latergator116
Oct 21, 2003, 10:11 PM
My money says new Apple website design. That's why all the times are sync-ed up globally. . . so they can switch over to the new design right when counters hit zero.
That would be a nice surprise. maybe a panther theme?

FuzzyBallz
Oct 21, 2003, 10:15 PM
Ripping off the Malcom X poster... very original indeed. And "Black" Panther. Man, talk about saving money in the box design department.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 21, 2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Ripping off Malcom X... very original indeed.

Complaining about Apple ripping off Malcom X...very original indeed (http://www.appleturns.com/scene/?id=4256) ;)

And by the way, most panthers are black, and the "Hey Mama" iPod commercial continues Apple's blatant racial pandering. I posted about that in an old iPod thread.

TwitchOSX
Oct 21, 2003, 10:20 PM
He just sent me my install CD's electronically. Will send the box out tommorow. Man this is nice. Very fast, exposé is awesome and fast user switching is fricken bad ass. Never used more than one account but if I can keep stuff running in my account and let my girlfriend use her account, thats definately going to be bad ass.

thatguy_youknow
Oct 21, 2003, 10:22 PM

The panther countdown clock references the clock on your computer. Which most likely is set to auto sync with Apple's time server. When the clock runs out it just starts at 23:59 again. No big roar. No Big Tearing Action. They may end up switching out the graphic with another one sometime between now and ten.

Sorry for the quality of the screen shots. I was kinda lazy and didn't have PhotoShop installed.

QCassidy352
Oct 21, 2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by noverflow
I got my product professional copy... and loaded it on my g5.

my media keys (volume and eject) keys no longer work

uh... well, that's worrisome. Perhaps waiting until friday will not be the worst thing. :-/

TwitchOSX
Oct 21, 2003, 10:31 PM
On my Dual 800 G4, my eject and volume keys work fine.

physicsnerd
Oct 21, 2003, 10:32 PM
Has anyone who's has gotten their hands on panther had any problems with it?

physicsnerd

TwitchOSX
Oct 21, 2003, 10:33 PM
Love playing with Expose.. even though I wont use it much since I have Virtual Desktop, but man.. its like .. "Cool". And the fast user switching is bad ass. Need to play some games and see what happens.

thatguy_youknow
Oct 21, 2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by physicsnerd

physicsnerd

I have been using developer builds since WWDC. (Contractor for an ADC Premier Member) All I can say is no comment, and wow. Wait let me change that to WOW.

Nicky G
Oct 21, 2003, 10:54 PM
USB Overdrive supposedly breaks media keys if installed in 10.3.

Rajj
Oct 21, 2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Complaining about Apple ripping off Malcom X...very original indeed (http://www.appleturns.com/scene/?id=4256) ;)

And by the way, most panthers are black, and the "Hey Mama" iPod commercial continues Apple's blatant racial pandering. I posted about that in an old iPod thread.

I guess I was naive to think that racism is finally coming to a halt.
I don’t recall anyone complaining about the all-white lineup of Apple’s consumer line, so why is it a huge problem when Apple decides to change the color of a box?

Come on, are you that stuck on your race that you cannot stand to see a black box with the letter “X” on it?

Let me give you a little history lesson…..

The Letter “X” is the roman equivalent to the number 10.
Panther is the “code name” (which so happens to a big black cat) of 10.3 which succeeded 10.2 (Jaguar) which succeeded 10.1 (Cheetah) which succeeded…. You get the point (I hope).

These code names corresponds to fast cats not people of color.
Unless you try to say that “Cats” corresponds to black people, because they use to call each other “Cats” back in the 70’s!!!! lololol

In terms you can understand…… GET A LIFE!!!
:rolleyes: ;) :p

Phil Of Mac
Oct 21, 2003, 11:03 PM
People are extremely sensitive about race. It's quite understandable. But it gets ridiculous, and it was my intent (and probably AtAT's intent) to poke fun at it.

Java
Oct 21, 2003, 11:16 PM
I must say, 3 CD's? Oh wait, Jaguar was a DVD if I am correct, so 1.5gb sounds better than 4.7 :)

I'm picking mine up at the Apple Store Friday night.

<curious>
I wonder if his Segway was recalled.
</curious>

iEric
Oct 21, 2003, 11:30 PM
Instead of 3 CDs..why didn't Apple put it on a DVD disc? I mean if your apple is good enough to run Panther, then it should at least have a DVD drive.

LimeiBook86
Oct 21, 2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Wow, so soon? I am trying to get into my order status but the page doesn't seem to be working right now...it's been stuck on open since the last time I checked, though.

The same thing happens for me, the page won't load, maybe becuase it hasn't been shipped yet?...Mine was with an education discount I wonder if that matters? :p

Phil Of Mac
Oct 21, 2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Java
I must say, 3 CD's? Oh wait, Jaguar was a DVD if I am correct, so 1.5gb sounds better than 4.7 :)

No, Jag was on 2 CD's, while Cheetah/Puma were both on 1 CD.

MasterMac
Oct 21, 2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by iEric
Instead of 3 CDs..why didn't Apple put it on a DVD disc? I mean if your apple is good enough to run Panther, then it should at least have a DVD drive. There are still a lot of OS X capable computers with just a CD ROM out there like the original iMacs, iBooks, eMacs, etc

LimeiBook86
Oct 21, 2003, 11:44 PM
I think in time all Macs will have at least a DVD-ROM drive.

mustang_dvs
Oct 21, 2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by iEric
Instead of 3 CDs..why didn't Apple put it on a DVD disc? I mean if your apple is good enough to run Panther, then it should at least have a DVD drive.

Even very recently, a good number of Macs shipped with CD-RW drives (not combos).

Apple ships software on DVDs with machines that have DVD drives, but sells retail OS packages with CD-ROMs.

nichrome
Oct 21, 2003, 11:51 PM
Also many PowerBooks and PowerMac G4 models lack DVD. E.g. the low-end model of the Digital Audio PMac G4 family (466 MHz). So this isn't just an e- and i-family problem.

It'll be a long while before Apple starts shipping OS releases on DVDs.

Of course, DVD-capable machines come with operating system DVDs, but that's a completely different issue.

LimeiBook86
Oct 21, 2003, 11:54 PM
Well tehy shoudl sell the main version with a DVD and then sell the CD version also. Then charge like $10 less for the DVD version :p

Convinse people to get a DVD drive, haha

Phil Of Mac
Oct 21, 2003, 11:57 PM
At some point, Mac OS X will be on DVD (but a CD-ROM version will be available if you need it). Mac OS 8 was on CD, but you could get it on floppies if you needed to.

Powerbook G5
Oct 21, 2003, 11:58 PM
It'd be so much more convenient that way. I like how 10.2.7, all my pre-installed software, and the hardware test are all on one convenient DVD. It's a lot better than my parent's Dell that has 8 or 9 separate CDs for everything to fumble around with then you need a certain program or driver. So I am assuming that Panther will come with 4 CDs, then? 3 for the OS itself and one for Xcode?

Phil Of Mac
Oct 21, 2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
It'd be so much more convenient that way. I like how 10.2.7, all my pre-installed software, and the hardware test are all on one convenient DVD. It's a lot better than my parent's Dell that has 8 or 9 separate CDs for everything to fumble around with then you need a certain program or driver. So I am assuming that Panther will come with 4 CDs, then? 3 for the OS itself and one for Xcode?

Ja.

kherdin
Oct 22, 2003, 12:08 AM
The problem with DVDs is that since data density is so high on them, often a tiny scratch, one that would not affect a cd, would cause major data loss on a DVD.

On movie DVDs this is not as much a deal, as although you get picture/sound loss for a fraction of a second, your life can go on afterwards, but with a software package such as OS X, even a few bites could nuke the whole OS.

CDs still have (and probably always will until the next optical media will come in floppy-style cases) much higher reliability than DVDs.

noverflow
Oct 22, 2003, 01:23 AM
Funny that nobody noted that the current shipping low end emac and ibook only have a cd-rom drive

Phil Of Mac
Oct 22, 2003, 01:25 AM
Funny that nobody noted that the current shipping low end emac and ibook only have a cd-rom drive

That's what I'd call "informative in a backhanded way".

weezer160
Oct 22, 2003, 01:32 AM
...that they'd announce when panther will ship with the new laptops and g5s! i'm dying to spend the cash i've saved for a brand new puppy!:cool:

MacsRgr8
Oct 22, 2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by kwajo.com
is it just me, or does the "panther" in the second pic have the best feline facial expression ever!:cool:

Absolutely :D

Gave my day a gr8 start... just got to work.

MacBandit
Oct 22, 2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by tjwett

There's nothing special about those Apple displays. The one on the left is an old old first gen. Apple 15" Studio Display. The one in the middle is a recent 17" and the one on the left is a recent 15".

Originally posted by etoiles
AND he is retired...got all the time to play with his toys. Must have done something really good in his previous life :D

His Aunt is retired not him.

I called Apple today to check on my up-to-date order. I just recently purchased a refurb PowerMac and when I called they couldn't process the up-to-date order because the serial number wouldn't process. They told me to fill out one of the forms and send it in. So I did and they accepted it and my order has been placed. Hopefully it comes between now and monday as I don't think I can wait any longer. I'm so excited right now I might piss myself and then once again I might be confused for another MacRumors member.

adamberti
Oct 22, 2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by physicsnerd

physicsnerd

Didn't want to put it on my PB G4, my main machine, so I installed it on a spare hard drive and then moved it from machine to machine that I have access to. It is speedy, even on a G4 400.

I did have one problem when the HardDrive was in a G4 733 Desktop at work (not sure what the model is called). Opened up Network Utility and noticed I had an IP adress for my firewire port. I was clicking around and using the tools and it had a kernal panic and then wouldnt startup :( I had to reinstall. Not sure what went on there though, but it kept working fine so far. I'll wait to finish some projects and hear from others before I install it for good on my machines.

ssamani
Oct 22, 2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by rayzor
I'm having the same problem trying to get into my order status as well, the page doesn't seem to be working right now.

I don't know if its the same issue, but I found with an order a few weeks back that if I hit return after typing in my Zip Code, the default control was the Back button in the top left hand corner. You had to physically click on the button to get it to get the order. Took me ages to work that out.

Sanj

mustang_dvs
Oct 22, 2003, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by adamberti
I did have one problem when the HardDrive was in a G4 733 Desktop at work (not sure what the model is called).

Probably a Digital Audio or Quicksilver, most likely not important, though.

Opened up Network Utility and noticed I had an IP adress for my firewire port.

That's normal -- it's a feature called Firewire Networking. It's been a downloadable add-on to Jaguar from Apple for a few months, as a proof of concept gimmick.

I was clicking around and using the tools and it had a kernal panic and then wouldnt startup :( I had to reinstall.

Please clarifiy what you mean by "tools." Developer Tools, or do you mean System Preferences, or some Applications?

ssamani
Oct 22, 2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by rikers_mailbox

Remember the site redesign rumor awhile ago?
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/08/20030827204103.shtml

What better way to show off a new OS to all those Windoze users paying a visit for their iTunes??

Unfortunately for this rumour, the UK Apple website www.apple.com/uk is counting down to 8pm Friday, London time, about 5 hours earlier than in NY and 8 hours earlier than in California. If they are consistent, then for a change our Australian and New Zealand colleagues will be the first to see Panther, a good 12 - 15 hours earlier than the US.

So the synchronised updated won't fly, but perhaps there will be a new website design, maybe, possibly.

Jays
Oct 22, 2003, 04:19 AM
Just received my copy of Panther (and my 40 gig iPod) this morning... Im in Holland

Going to install it now.

crap freakboy
Oct 22, 2003, 04:26 AM
Panther ordered on Sunday just had shipped confirmation...oh yeah!
c'mon Parcel Force get a move on :D

caveman_uk
Oct 22, 2003, 05:41 AM
I got my shipping notification last night at 3am. I hope I'm in when it comes. I'd hate to have to traipse off to the courier depot on Saturday...

zaphoyd
Oct 22, 2003, 06:44 AM
I still have a downloaded copy of the jaguar count down movie. It is still counting down to jag ;)

I'll see if i can dig it out and toss it up somewhere after school.

http://www.zaphoyd.com/junk/jag_countdown2.mov

2 days left until jag as well. :D

mxpiazza
Oct 22, 2003, 06:52 AM
recieved apple order confirmation and fedex tracking no. at 4:31am EST. Hopefully the sexy little kitty will be here tomorrow... but i gotta tell myself it'll be here friday. many a dismal evening has been had after waiting all day for fedex/airborne/ups guy that never showed...

anyways, bring it on. i just got a new 1GHz 12" pb, and i got my copy up-to-date style. but i would have paid the $69 EDU for the password lock when you open the monitor to your laptop... damn this os is gonna rock.

microsoft also recently announced another delay to it's next-generation operating system, Longhorn:

"We are sorry to announce that Longhorn will not arrive until the 2005 winter holidays. That should give us sufficent time to copy the best features out of Apple's 10.3 operating system "Panther", and put or ugly GUI over it."

edit: i purchased my 12" BEFORE it was eligible to recieve the up-to-date software, so this is an official confirmation that an up-to-date order that didn't officially qualify but was accepted by the system has shipped.

LimeiBook86
Oct 22, 2003, 07:02 AM
Maybe this is why some of use counldn't see the status on our order?

http://homepage.mac.com/ibook238/.Pictures/brb_apple.jpg

Hope they fix it :p

Panther w00t!

whooleytoo
Oct 22, 2003, 07:40 AM
That would be a nice surprise. maybe a panther theme?

Actually, there already kind of is a Panther theme on the Apple site, if you click on the MacOS X tab, it's changed from Jaguar spots to Panther black (ok, it's more gray..)

bikertwin
Oct 22, 2003, 08:03 AM
Dudes,

There are G4 iBooks on Apple's web site now.

Where's the update on this site?

cb911
Oct 22, 2003, 08:06 AM
i'm trying to check my order status here... oh well. i just hope it gets here by Friday or Saturday would be okay. then i can have all weekend to play with it!! :D

edit>> hey bikertwin, i completely missed that! that's pretty sweet... :D thanks for mentioning it. :D

1macker1
Oct 22, 2003, 08:31 AM
Is that new, when did this pop up?
Originally posted by bikertwin
Dudes,

Where's the update on this site?

holo2015
Oct 22, 2003, 08:45 AM
yup, they just went up this morning. never thought i'd see a G4 ibook. at least not this soon, and with a slotload cd drive.

hs-l
Oct 22, 2003, 08:53 AM
if iBook hits G4 now a powerbook G5 in june?

markayak
Oct 22, 2003, 08:55 AM
dang, they're sneaky. and quick... my 15" Aluminum Powerbook hasn't even arrived yet (last seen in Taiwan) and already there's a newer (albeit inferior) machine in the product line.

m&

eddyg
Oct 22, 2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by ssamani
Unfortunately for this rumour, the UK Apple website www.apple.com/uk is counting down to 8pm Friday, London time, about 5 hours earlier than in NY and 8 hours earlier than in California. If they are consistent, then for a change our Australian and New Zealand colleagues will be the first to see Panther, a good 12 - 15 hours earlier than the US.

www.apple.com.au is saying Saturday 9am for the Panther release, so Australia will be one of the last to get Panther. Which is about as much as we would expect from the spineless weasles that run Apple Australia.

Cheers, Edward.

ImAlwaysRight
Oct 22, 2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by bikertwin
Dudes,

Where's the update on this site? CRAP! (with a capital C!)

I was going to put my G3 iBook 900 on ebay and get a G4 Powerbook 15", now I'll probably get around $200 less for it.

pb1212580
Oct 22, 2003, 10:05 AM
Checked online order status and it says it's shipped!
(no shipment notice in email yet though...) weird...

Only 800mhz for 12" and no Audio Input?! hmm...

love my new pb12 love love love...

youngr40
Oct 22, 2003, 10:17 AM
Korea's just across the International Date Line. The day starts in Korea before most other places on Planet Earth.

Japan's is even closer to IDL (Internal Date Line) but there is no time difference.

Giaguara
Oct 22, 2003, 10:25 AM
Charlie looks like a sweeeet Panther. :)

Hey, here's my retail box of Panther. I'm not gonna move it untill I'm asked ... ;) :p :eek:

brossow
Oct 22, 2003, 10:31 AM
Just noting that I'm having no problems running 10.3 (7B85) on my PowerBook G4 667. No crashes, no flaws, no problems with media keys. Been running about a week now with no complaints (but lots of thumbs-up for cool features like Exposé!)

woodsey
Oct 22, 2003, 11:35 AM
Just checked my order status and it has changed to shipped... Yeah Baby!

Still a bit woried about my 'road' shipping. Australias a big place you know... :D

Now I just have to pray it comes before the weekend, cos if it doesnt, then ill be a bored boy. Actually thats not entirely true; theres always the girlfriend...

We have our own version of exposé if ya get what im saying...

Woodsey...

mustang_dvs
Oct 22, 2003, 11:38 AM
FYI: My G5 2.0GHz DP CTO, which shipped on Friday, 10/17/03, did not include Panther.

(Order placed on 10/1/03 via Developer Store.)

But then again, I already have it from the ADC seed.

zync
Oct 22, 2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Zeke

Nah they'll pull a matrix and it'll hit zero and you'll hear a knock at your door and you'll be like wtf? You'll open the door a crack and a fedex guy will slip you panther and then you'll wake up an hour later and it'll be installed on your machine and you won't know where the hell you are....

MacBandit
Oct 22, 2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by zync
Nah they'll pull a matrix and it'll hit zero and you'll hear a knock at your door and you'll be like wtf? You'll open the door a crack and a fedex guy will slip you panther and then you'll wake up an hour later and it'll be installed on your machine and you won't know where the hell you are....

No, no not the belly button.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 22, 2003, 12:32 PM

Not anymore, punk.

MacBandit
Oct 22, 2003, 12:39 PM
Not anymore, punk.

The EDU version still does, punkette!:p

zync
Oct 22, 2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
No, no not the belly button.

Yes, the belly button!

zync
Oct 22, 2003, 12:42 PM
Hah! and Morpheus will contact you via iChat AV!

sugarprobe
Oct 22, 2003, 01:13 PM
Woo Hoo.

Just checked my order and it shipped at 11 am. I am in canada if anyone cares. Good luck all.

Cheers:D

jbrown
Oct 22, 2003, 01:35 PM
Just checked my shipping status...has shipped ( wooopeee ) ... can't wait ... but saw the end buttons ( ie...'continue ' etc. in the old OS 9 style:eek: not that I mind...just strange now:rolleyes: :D
Good luck with Panther all of you...

( UK )

gregorypierce
Oct 22, 2003, 01:43 PM
Because you ask for status reports:

AlBook 1.25 (new breed)

Installed 10.3, no significant problems. AOL client has some issues talking over airport, OS is generally faster and more responsive. Overall I would say that if you do a clean install it should work fine. I installed it on an eMac 700 and it had some problems with oracle and a couple of Java tools that depended on where Java home was (apparently they moved it).

Oh... and battery life seems MUCH improved - though I have not given that a 'scientific' test.

Mac Dummy
Oct 22, 2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by rodnarms
I think my Panther has not shipped yet. At least I havn't gotten an e-mail saying it has. I also cannot get into the Order Status page as well.

... Must learn patience.

I got my an order status email from Apple yesterday, but Fed Ex shows no record of having the shipment yet. Oh well, I thinks its still cool that those people who ordered it early with the upgrade discount are getting it before the October 24th release.

imbriumink
Oct 22, 2003, 02:10 PM
Just got ship confirm for my up to date CD. 12" pbook ordered last month.

zulgand04
Oct 22, 2003, 02:50 PM
ok not worried any more, just got the email, and it will be at my door step by 4:30 sept 24 yey

-Neal

adamberti
Oct 22, 2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by mustang_dvs
Probably a Digital Audio or Quicksilver, most likely not important, though.

That's normal -- it's a feature called Firewire Networking. It's been a downloadable add-on to Jaguar from Apple for a few months, as a proof of concept gimmick.

Please clarifiy what you mean by "tools." Developer Tools, or do you mean System Preferences, or some Applications?

Yeah, I knew about IP over Firewire, just didnt realize it was a 'feature' in Panther. By Tools, I meant the Network Utility Tools. Ping, Traceroute, etc. I was trying to figure out why it wouldnt connect to the local network.

hokiethang
Oct 22, 2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by zulgand04
Am i the only one who still hsnt shipped yet. i know theres still 2 days 4 hours left but im a worrier lol.

-Neal

nope you arent the only one. I ordered mine less than 2 hours after they announced it was going to ship on the 24th and I still have the dreaded "open". You would think they would do first come first serve, but i guess not... :-(

I have been upgraded to free overnight shipping though... :-D

Superdrive
Oct 22, 2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by hokiethang
nope you arent the only one. I ordered mine less than 2 hours after they announced it was going to ship on the 24th and I still have the dreaded "open". You would think they would do first come first serve, but i guess not... :-(

I have been upgraded to free overnight shipping though... :-D

I am in the same boat, except I ordered mine on Friday night.

~TJ
-------
*long time reader, first time poster :cool:

jazzman45
Oct 22, 2003, 04:22 PM
is there any place where someone has posted a bunch of benchmarks of 10.3?

I'm curiously how much faster they are.

I know even the first gen. PB 12" feels so much more snappy!

I love smooth scrolling.

MacBandit
Oct 22, 2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by jazzman45
is there any place where someone has posted a bunch of benchmarks of 10.3?

I'm curiously how much faster they are.

I know even the first gen. PB 12" feels so much more snappy!

I love smooth scrolling.

www.xbench.com

MatthewStorm
Oct 22, 2003, 05:30 PM
I received an email from Apple at 9:04am this morning telling me that Panther had shipped FedEx with delivery tomorrow (Thursday). Yipee ki-yah MF!!!!http://forums.macrumors.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

mustang_dvs
Oct 22, 2003, 05:41 PM
By Tools, I meant the Network Utility Tools. Ping, Traceroute, etc. I was trying to figure out why it wouldnt connect to the local network.

If it were OS 9 -- I'd suggest checking your Appletalk control panel -- but we're not, thankfully. :D

Have you tried the same network tools from the command line, as well PICO-ing as the network files? It could be a *gulp* bad install, or a freaky network daemon crash.

mxpiazza
Oct 22, 2003, 05:48 PM
i got notification around 4AM (1AM pst) that my package shipped fedex 2-day from the distribution center in california. however, my tracking number still isn't even in fed ex's system... maybe they aren't putting them in until tomorrow, and that's when they'll actually start moving in the system, so they actually do arrive on friday and not early.

mxpiazza
Oct 22, 2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by MatthewStorm
I received an email from Apple at 9:04am this morning telling me that Panther had shipped FedEx with delivery tomorrow (Thursday). Yipee ki-yah MF!!!!http://forums.macrumors.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
how do you know that you'll get it tomorrow? is your tracking number in the fedex system? no one else's is, as far as i know... post details!

zamyatin
Oct 22, 2003, 07:52 PM
Got an email from Apple today - party at the Apple Stores on Friday. I'll be at The Grove in LA, checking out Panther!

And I want them to hire me!

hexcalibur
Oct 22, 2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by mxpiazza
how do you know that you'll get it tomorrow? is your tracking number in the fedex system? no one else's is, as far as i know... post details!

Apple told me the box shipped earlier in the week. The fedex tracking number turned up a blank until just this evening, though it claims delivery by noon tomorrow (Thursday). Now the tracking number shows the item is in Vancouver and cleared for delivery -- I guess that means it got out the other side of the scary Customs room.

I ordered a copy on the 10th, and then read something here that people who received new powerbooks in late September/early October were having "unofficial" success using the Apple Up-to-Date program, so I cancelled the first order and reordered over the phone using Up-to-Date (thanks, Macrumors!).

Your mileage may vary, but yet again Apple and FedEx have exceeded my expectations.

zer0army
Oct 22, 2003, 11:16 PM
Apple emailed me yesterday saying my on or before 10/21/03 was delayed but right after that I was sent an email saying it was shipped through FedEX. I checked my tracking number and it says it will be here tomorrow (Thursday) before 12:00 PM.

Has anyone received their UTD panther version yet ? Or have all the ones received been people ordering full retail versions?

hexcalibur
Oct 23, 2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by hexcalibur
Your mileage may vary, but yet again Apple and FedEx have exceeded my expectations.

Oh. It turns out the "released for delivery" referred to the box LEAVING, not arriving. My confusion was due to it apparently leaving from "Vancouver, CA" as in California, not Canada. Now it looks like it won't be here in Vancouver, Canada until Friday.

At least I don't have to wait for the FedEx truck tomorrow.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 23, 2003, 02:08 AM
Just an update: FedEx is working and I'm gettin my black ***** on Friday.

youngr40
Oct 23, 2003, 04:26 AM
I think you will find that the UK and US clock are different depending up where you are in the world

I am UK and goto Apple.com and the clock is not the same as someone in the US, if they look at the same time.

Nothing to worry about we are getting Panther 8pm our local times.

gotohamish
Oct 23, 2003, 06:31 AM
Mine shipped first thing on the 22nd.

I'm listening for the postman now.

Having said that... I got a shipment notification on monday from apple for a bluetooth dongle, and that hasn't arrived yet.

Hmm.

Mofus
Oct 23, 2003, 09:02 AM
I ordered my new PB on September 16 and was able to get the Up-to-Date deal for $20. It's in transit now, I'm soooo glad Apple decided to use FedEx. I had nothing but dealays with Airborn. It took a month to my iPod (stuck in customs in China or something).

sanford
Oct 23, 2003, 11:09 AM
All I know is that I want someone in Dallas who receives their copy of Panther *today* or earlier to let me install it on my machine *today* so I don't have to wait until *tomorrow*. I just checked my FedEx track and mine won't arrive until tomorrow, Friday. Argh!

MacBandit
Oct 23, 2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by sanford
All I know is that I want someone in Dallas who receives their copy of Panther *today* or earlier to let me install it on my machine *today* so I don't have to wait until *tomorrow*. I just checked my FedEx track and mine won't arrive until tomorrow, Friday. Argh!

Now THAT'S impatient. WOW!!!

MatthewStorm
Oct 23, 2003, 12:48 PM
part II
So while I ordered the Panter Upgrade with FedEx overnight Apple changed it to two day shipping. It did leave yesterday with a due date for tomorrow. They refunded my shipping, but who cares. I wanted it today! Before everybody else! Me first!!! Aaarrgghhhhhhh!!!!

monolith
Oct 23, 2003, 01:30 PM

Catch me on iChat: OrbDavid (AIM)

mxpiazza
Oct 23, 2003, 02:17 PM

I second that. Although FedEx picked up my package from Apple first thing in the morning on Wednesday, it sat in their distribution until just after midnight... jerks. So my est. delivery time went from Thursday by 4:30 to Friday by 4:30. Anyone at THE Ohio State University getting a copy today?? :)

Mofus
Oct 23, 2003, 03:26 PM
According to FedEx Tracking, my package left Rancho Cordova 10/22, went to Memphis TN, then back to Oakland for delivery to San Diego. Doesn't that seem a rather circuitous route? Well, It doesn't matter, I guess as long as it gets here by tomorrow.

Ship date
Oct 22, 2003
Estimated delivery date
Oct 24, 2003 by 4:30 pm

Delivery location
SAN DIEGO CA
Service type
FedEx 2Day Service

Oct 23, 2003 1:55 pm

Left FedEx Sort Facility

MEMPHIS TN
12:08 am

Arrived at FedEx Ramp

OAKLAND CA

Oct 22, 2003 11:51 pm
Left FedEx Origin Location
RANCHO CORDOVA CA

3:38 pm
Pickup status
RANCHO CORDOVA CA
Pre-routed meter pkg picked up

beerguy
Oct 23, 2003, 04:49 PM
yeah - mine shipped from Rancho Cordova on 10/22 (which is about 3 miles from my house) and then headed to Oakland.

MasterMac
Oct 23, 2003, 07:11 PM
Oh my... mine apparently just left Memphis (hopefully on it's way back to California where it was originally :rolleyes: ) a few hours ago. Still says it's supposed to be here tomorrow by 4:30pm though :D

CTYankee
Oct 24, 2003, 10:52 AM
Just got mine...too bad I'm at work and won't be home til late. I ordered it Wednesday with the free delivery, but they shipped it priority overnight. Looks like they want to make sure everyone gets theirs asap.

Maybe I should wait til morning to install it...nah, what fun is that.

crap freakboy
Oct 24, 2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by CTYankee
Looks like they want to make sure everyone gets theirs asap.

yeah right
i wish AppleStore UK was just fedex or dhl instead of shipping with Parcel Post, or in otherwords Snailmail....so I'll probably get Panther Monday/Tuesday though it shipped on Wednesday (or so they say). Last time I shop with them, I'd rather go with a reseller. Rant over...not a happy chappy:mad:

pb1212580
Oct 24, 2003, 11:21 AM
The Up-To-Date Program online at Apple just got smarter! :)
Now it checks the date and anything before Oct. 8th won't work...
bummer, there goes my hope for my new PB12 received on Oct. 8th!

On the other hand, the other copy we order is on the truck for delivery...any SECOND now!!!

evolu
Oct 24, 2003, 12:25 PM
today before four? My fedex guy is cool - a mac guy who delivers my apples with a huge smile !

MacBandit
Oct 24, 2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by evolu
today before four? My fedex guy is cool - a mac guy who delivers my apples with a huge smile !

Well if you're Apple stuff is ever delayed in shipping for some odd reason you know where to go looking.;)

Mofus
Oct 24, 2003, 01:50 PM
I got my Panther today. I ordered it through Up-To-Date and all of the stuff just came in a envelope, no box. I guess that's OK, now I don't have to worry about staring at the box on my shelf for the next six years. I plan to go to the new store opening at UTC Mall in San Diego. Does anybody know what free swag they give away at these things?

Phil Of Mac
Oct 24, 2003, 03:15 PM
They tried to deliver mine this morning at 10 AM! But the front desk wasn't open! :mad:

I should get it later tonight though...

zulgand04
Oct 24, 2003, 03:46 PM
i had a nice suprise at the door when i came home from school. The box is so cool in my opninion. Aslo running panther now yey!

-Neal

Phil Of Mac
Oct 24, 2003, 05:10 PM
This is the last post I will ever write with Jaguar. See you after I get my BLACK *****!

MacBandit
Oct 27, 2003, 12:22 AM
Hopefully mine shows up tomorrow. I ordered it through the fax in form on the up-to-date program as the online form and the 800 number didn't work for my computer even though it was valid for the program. I faxed it in and called a week ago and then called last week and they said it had processed and the order had been placed. No Panther here yet though, maybe just maybe hoping for tomorrow.