Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evilernie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Hi folks,

I nabbed an old G4 Quicksilver from the office. 1ghz, dual processor, 1.5gb ram. I'm going to use it as a home file server to serve 1 powerbook and 1 pc laptop over a wireless airport network.

I've got it up and running headless in the basement, plugged into the airport. Out of sight, out of...well I don't have to listen to the thing. It's loud! Anyway, I can control it via VNC on my Powerbook. I use Vine Server and Chicken of the VNC for a viewer.

Here's the plan. Right now it has two 80gb drives in it. One has Tiger on it and one is empty. I just ordered two 500gb Seagate Barracuda drives for it. I believe that it is a late enough model that I don't have to worry about the 128gb limit. I hope that's right.

I also have 1 external 500gb firewire drive. 1 external 250gb drive and 2 external 160gb drives.

Any suggestions on how to set these drives up for maximum capacity, as well as maximum redundency? Raid them? Combine all the externals into 1 500gb and all the rest together as one? Raid the two internals? I'm open to suggestions. I'd like to have at least two copies of everything somehow.

I'm hoping to use the server to backup both the powerbook and the pc. I've used retrospect at the office, and I have a copy. However it has no licenses. Are there any other options? I love Carbon Copy Cloner and/or Superduper but they're not appropriate for network backups, correct? Is Retrospect the best bet? I know I'll have to buy another copy and/or licenses. Whichever is cheaper.

I'd like to share my itunes library (almost 200gb) from the server to both the pc and the powerbook. I believe itunes sharing will do this for me. I also would like to share my iphoto library with the powerbook and pc as well. Is that possible? What software would be needed on the pc? I'm pretty sure I can share both of those with my Tivo as well, so that's a bonus.

Oh yeah, I am using Sharepoints to allow the powerbook and the pc to access the drive and/or drives connected to the server. Any suggestions on setting up sharepoints?

Any other cool suggestions that I'm not thinking of? I'm excited to have a server in my house and I want to get the most out of it.

Thanks!

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
I am not sure about the 500GB drives. I used to have a 1.42GHz DP G4 and I thought that had a maximum of 128GB per bay?

EDIT: According to apple-history.com you may just be in luck:

Just a note to let you know that the PowerMac Quicksilver 2002, despite its ATA-66 spec, natively supports two hard drives larger than 137 GB (a change from the previous PowerMacs). From what I've read, a move to 48-bit ATA addressing (is that right?) enabled this feature. Anyway, just thought you'd like to know as it might help someone decide which used PowerMac to buy.

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
I am not sure about the 500GB drives. I used to have a 1.42GHz DP G4 and I thought that had a maximum of 128GB per bay?

I think 500 GB drives will be fine, Sawtooths had a 128 cap, and possibly the early quicksilvers, buy I've got a 933 QS at work with 4 750s so a 1 GHz should be fine too.

edit: you edited while I was typing.

yes, the OP should be fine with 500's

evilernie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
I just put the 500gb drives in and they were recognized, no problem. I raided them as a mirrored setup and I figure I'll use the firewire 500gb drive as an additional backup.

9Charms

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Put all six of your hard drives inside the machine. You'll have to remove the optical drive and put 2 hard drives on that ATA bus. The other ATA bus supports another 2 drives. Then you'll need to get some sort of controller card for the last 2 drives (left and middle on the bottom of the case). If you have the money and desire, grab a RAID card and make a RAID 5 for redundancy.

Only use RAID 0 if you really really really need the speed. Otherwise, you're just playing Russian roulette with your data. If you want one big drive instead of a bunch of little volumes, use JBOD (or concatenated disk in Disk Utility lingo).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.