Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maceesback

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Iowa, USA
playing around with an iPod Touch. I heard a Best Buy employee telling another customer that the iTouch does not have complete internet access, that only certain web pages can be viewed. What was he talking about?

cheekybobcat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
U-S of A
Yeah, you can go on any website just you can't view certain things sometimes because the iPod Touch doesn't have flash player.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
i wouldn't put much stock in what some Best Buy employee tell you. there have been countless times where they have either told me the wrong info or i've heard them relaying bad info. As everyone has said, the touch can ACCESS any website; however, they cannot display flash-based website. They can play quicktime video tho.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
i was in best buy checking out a touch, and a salesperson just walked right up to me and volunteered this comment: "you should get a Zune, those ipods are just for watching movies and stuff."

I kind of had to turn away for a second to hide the look on my face...

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
i was in best buy checking out a touch, and a salesperson just walked right up to me and volunteered this comment: "you should get a Zune, those ipods are just for watching movies and stuff."

Lmao.

In canada where I live, I've never seen a Zune (and I live in a huge city...). The reason is that it's not marketed at ALL here. Why don't they put it up for sale here? Against any of the competition though, the iPods blow the rest away.

zirkle2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Indiana, USA

so wtf is the zune for then?

Solesk

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
try going to tgi friday's website on the touch. i just get a little box and that's it.

but those sites seem rare. and i'm sure we'll get flash soon enough.

zirkle2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Indiana, USA
Just a quick question...who's responsible for adding Flash? Is it Adobe since its their product? Or Apple since its their browser? I'm just wondering if Adobe has to rewrite it for the iPhone/touch or if Apple just hasn't 'switched' it on yet. What do you guys think or does anyone actually know?

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
I have a habit of going over and correcting bestbuy employee's since most don't seem to know their head from a hole in the ground apparently. I remember two such cases when we were buying a new mini DV camcorder and the kid offering us the extended warranty told us if we ever got like sand in it they'd tear the whole thing apart and clean it.. man what a crock. Another is when my father went to bestbuy (first mistake) to buy an iMac for my brother and the guy told him they DO NOT come with speakers you have to buy them separately. I probably did a lil lewis black on the phone there, damn near wanted to talk to the employee.

I think people just need to be more educated really and while its true u cant go to every site with flash and video out there with the touch I wouldnt make it sound like a cell phone where its not complete internet access and only "certain" sites..

XplorerMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Whether or not there are sites that can't be visited by the Touch I have never ran into any of them. I guarantee you the iPod Touch and the iPhone are among the best web browsing hand held devices out now. My Touch is literally five times as fast as my PSP at opening the Apple website!

stevento

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2006
Los Angeles
well safari for ipod and touch isn't doesn't have flash but websites ought to have a dubed down (someties called text only) versions
and some larger webistes, like news sites and google have special versions just for blackberries, palms etc and some have created iphone apps

a Best Buy employee telling another customer
people dont know their jobs
salesmen dont know what they are selling, honestly they dont. i have had salesmen of cars computer and everything tell me they are not sure about the most basic things. honestly sometimes they dont want you to know they dont know their job, so they tell you what they think is true. honestly

Renator

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Best Buy employees are a joke. If you get any deeper than what is on the side of the box description, they're lost. I've been there several times and informed them about features of their products. Are consumers really that stupid that they listen to such drivel?

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
Just a quick question...who's responsible for adding Flash? Is it Adobe since its their product? Or Apple since its their browser? I'm just wondering if Adobe has to rewrite it for the iPhone/touch or if Apple just hasn't 'switched' it on yet. What do you guys think or does anyone actually know?

Adobe is not responsible for anybody putting up flash-based websites or flash-based sections of websites. The website developers per company/business/etc choose individually. Flash websites are developed almost exclusively with Adobe Flash Professional CS3. However, almost all of the major corporations seem to have html (along with javascript, dhtml, xhtml, etc.) websites. To me it seems that "boutique" business or companies interested in style over form (for instance they might not sell anything online just have a flash site portfolio) have the majority of flash websites. For example, many photographers will have them and many boutique clothes designers will (i.e Fendi). Some websites give you a choice between the two just in case your browser doesn't support flash. For the websites I have designed, I try and give an html alternative if the main site will be flash.

nintapple

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2007
flash is slowly becoming the past. its clunky and nonfunctional. many of its interactive features can be done with ajax which works much better on lower end computers too. unfortunately mobile safari doesnt seem to have support for gif animations so cool ajax features would be lacking as well.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
so wtf is the zune for then?
Will it Float? on Letterman. But to be honest, you should always to research yourself before buying something, and never trust or soley rely on the word of a salesman. But I find this situation quite odd.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003

Well Adobe would likely need some incentive to write for Touch/iphone, at least until the number of items in the field increases demand to the point that they can't ignore it.

The bigger problem as I see it is the hardware demand that flash puts on a device. Simply put I'm not sure these devices have enough RAM and CPU resources to do this well. Obviously this depends on how well the Mobile OS manages memory and running applications but the signs are already there that more memory would help Mobile OS.

In effect the current Touch devices are equal memory wise to my old Mac Plus. The difference is in the extra acceleration hardware that the Plus never dreamed of having. It would be interesting to see Flash written to take advantage of this hardware.

Given that I'm still not a fan of Flash. The only reason I want to see it on the Touch devices is that some web sites just require it. For the most part I avoid those sites but sometimes you just need to access them. Flash can make possible where otherwise it might be impossible.

Dave

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
Well Adobe would likely need some incentive to write for Touch/iphone, at least until the number of items in the field increases demand to the point that they can't ignore it.

The bigger problem as I see it is the hardware demand that flash puts on a device. Simply put I'm not sure these devices have enough RAM and CPU resources to do this well. Obviously this depends on how well the Mobile OS manages memory and running applications but the signs are already there that more memory would help Mobile OS.

In effect the current Touch devices are equal memory wise to my old Mac Plus. The difference is in the extra acceleration hardware that the Plus never dreamed of having. It would be interesting to see Flash written to take advantage of this hardware.

Given that I'm still not a fan of Flash. The only reason I want to see it on the Touch devices is that some web sites just require it. For the most part I avoid those sites but sometimes you just need to access them. Flash can make possible where otherwise it might be impossible.

Dave

Actually Big Steve already answered this. He said they took it out because it sucked up too much battery power. I thought Adobe was working on a better mobile implementation of it though.

He stated this during the iPhone rollout.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Well Steve O says lots of things as part of his dog an pony shows. The reality is that Flash cost you nothing in the way of power when visiting web sites that don't support it. The lack of flash also means that some sights won't run at all thus saving you even more power. Maybe this is what Steve O meant.

The bigger problem is that for a given power as in watts point we are getting more computing power every year. So what might be difficult for todays Touch might not be tomorrow.

All in all I think the lack of flash is as much an issue of control as it is technical.

Dave

Actually Big Steve already answered this. He said they took it out because it sucked up too much battery power. I thought Adobe was working on a better mobile implementation of it though.

He stated this during the iPhone rollout.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.