PDA

View Full Version : MBA: Gutted

MacBytes
Feb 1, 2008, 10:52 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: MBA: Gutted (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080201235211)
Description:: Step-by-step, inch-by-inch, slowly it gets turned inside out

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

GoCubsGo
Feb 1, 2008, 11:17 PM
19 screws to remove the battery? WOW!
I love the screen and all it's glory. Interesting that iFixit already has this up.

LizKat
Feb 2, 2008, 04:30 PM
Yeh 88 screws in the whole thing.

That sounds... petty well near to locked down. Sell the duct tape stock.

elcid
Feb 2, 2008, 07:34 PM
They put thermal grease on CPU's like McDonalds puts mustard on their burgers. A caulking gun with a very large nozzle. Geez.

CJRhoades
Feb 2, 2008, 07:44 PM
They put thermal grease on CPU's like McDonalds puts mustard on their burgers. A caulking gun with a very large nozzle. Geez.

I guess they have to do something to keep them cool. It only has 1 fan.

Mindflux
Feb 2, 2008, 07:51 PM
I guess they have to do something to keep them cool. It only has 1 fan.

It's clear you don't know that overusing thermal paste doesn't help with heat. It worsens any heat problems you could have.

kaiwai
Feb 2, 2008, 09:44 PM
I know this sounds stupid, but why don't they release an external battery which plugs into the power port?

MikeTheC
Feb 2, 2008, 10:46 PM
I know this sounds stupid, but why don't they release an external battery which plugs into the power port?
So then you could have an external battery tucked in underneath your external optical drive? Oh wow, yippie, sign me up for one of those puppies.

The MacBook Air is already the iBook Clamshell Revisited. But no, let's just go ahead and make it even less useful and graceful. </sarcasm>

Look, kaiwai, don't take this as a personal attack against you. But considering who these laptops are generally targeted for, and given my experience on the support side of the computer industry, I can well imagine the following conversation taking place if they had external batteries on these things...

APPLE TECH: Apple Tech Support. May I help you?

IDIOT CUSTOMER: Help! Help help help! I bought your lousy stinking Air Mac thingy, and I need it for my business trips, and well, I'm at a meeting in [Timbuktu, BFE] and it won't power up.

APPLE TECH: Sir... sir, calm down. I'm sorry to hear that. I'd like to help you. Can you tell me when this problem first began?

CUSTOMER: Well, it began when I took it on this trip. It won't turn on. At all. It's just dead.

APPLE TECH: Ok, which model of Mac laptop do you own?

CUSTOMER: It's, um, well, don't you already know? I mean, aren't you guys equipped with all kinds of fancy, schmancy gizmos that are supposed to tell you that?

APPLE TECH: Well, sir, as this is apparently a new purchase, and you have yet to register it...

CUSTOMER: Don't get smart with me, young man! I just bought it to take with me on this trip.

APPLE TECH: I wouldn't dream of it, sir. But since you haven't powered it up yet, and you haven't called us before on this unit, and regrettably since our advanced, fancy schmancy gizmos as you called them, don't yet include telepathy, X-Ray vision, or precognition, I do need you to tell me what model of Mac you're...

CUSTOMER: It's a Air Book Mac, or a Book Air Mac, or whatever you call your stupid computers...

APPLE TECH: That would be a "MacBook Air", sir.

CUSTOMER: Yeah, that's right. A MacBook Air Book. And it won't turn on and I'm on this really important business trip.

APPLE TECH: Ok, sir. I'm ready to help you troubleshoot the problem.

CUSTOMER: D**n right it's a problem, and it's gonna be your *********g problem in a minute if you don't fix it.

APPLE TECH: Yes sir, right away. Now first off, is the external battery plugged in?

CUSTOMER: [Brief pause] Exter... external what?

APPLE TECH: The external battery. It's white with some silver trim, about an eighth of an inch thick, and about four by six inches.

CUSTOMER: Don't know what you're talking about. I mean, I've got my computer right here.

APPLE TECH: Yes, I understand that. But I need you to have the external battery, and have it plugged in.

CUSTOMER: What for?

APPLE TECH: Well, without it, you don't have any power to your computer.

CUSTOMER: What?!? What do you mean... [and the rant continues on for several ear-drum rending, finger nail up the chalkboard minutes]

Sorry, folks, but I've been down this kind of road once too often. However, good luck and all with that.

kaiwai
Feb 4, 2008, 01:25 AM
So then you could have an external battery tucked in underneath your external optical drive? Oh wow, yippie, sign me up for one of those puppies.

The MacBook Air is already the iBook Clamshell Revisited. But no, let's just go ahead and make it even less useful and graceful. </sarcasm>

Look, kaiwai, don't take this as a personal attack against you. But considering who these laptops are generally targeted for, and given my experience on the support side of the computer industry, I can well imagine the following conversation taking place if they had external batteries on these things...

Who said anything about that? The question was in regards to a person who goes on their trip and they need multiple batteries. YES, have a built in battery but offer an external batter AS WELL!

I never said to replace the internal batter with an external one. The external one would be used as a back up battery since you can not pull out the internal one easily. So you have BOTH.

dukebound85
Feb 4, 2008, 01:32 AM
Who said anything about that? The question was in regards to a person who goes on their trip and they need multiple batteries. YES, have a built in battery but offer an external batter AS WELL!

I never said to replace the internal batter with an external one. The external one would be used as a back up battery since you can not pull out the internal one easily. So you have BOTH.

lol i agree. it would be nice to have the option

kaiwai
Feb 4, 2008, 04:45 AM
lol i agree. it would be nice to have the option

The interesting thing; there is no technical reason why it isn't possible - heck, it doesn't even need to be a battery as such - how about a caddy which allows standard MacBook battery to sit in or one in which the caddy can be adjusted in size and can support a wide variety of different shaped batteries so that one isn't locked into a single vendor.

Its annoying, I'd love to create a business based on that idea :P