PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 Crashing at approx 80% battery life

Gerardino
Feb 2, 2008, 03:17 AM
Sorry if this is going over old ground but I have searched the forums and cannot find the answer.

I have a Powerbook G4 1.67GB with 2GB ram.

I am constantly having problems with the laptop shutting down when it is just on battery. It doesn't do this if I am plugged into power.

It does this on a random basis whatever program I am running but generally at 80%. I currently have Leopard as the operating system.

Any ideas? Thanks

gr8tfly
Feb 2, 2008, 03:21 AM
There might be some hints in one or more log files. Open up Console (in Applications>Utilities) and see if there are any references to shutdown events in the log.

cal6n
Feb 2, 2008, 05:24 AM
There are 3 battery exchange programs operating for 15" G4 PowerBooks. It'll be worth checking to see if yours is eligible.

Clickety-link! (http://www.apple.com/uk/support/exchange_repair/powerbook.html)

kangotang
Feb 10, 2008, 03:06 PM
I have a similar system:
Powerbook G4 12"
1.5Ghz
Battery was replaced in recall about 1 year ago.
Leopard installed in December - all updates applied

I'm not sure if Leopard is to blame, or if Apple's recall replacement batteries were just bad, but my battery has been rapidly losing charge capacity over the last couple of months. At 175 cycles, and only about 1 year old, the battery should not be doing this. System profiler shows that I have about 480 mAh at full charge (original is 4400 mAh). I have reconditioned the batter multiple times, reset the PRAM, PMU, deleted my power management .plist - everything I can think of. I currently have about 20 mins of charge, and that is diminishing. My system often goes to forced sleep with 80% remaining. I am ready to buy a new battery, but don't want to do so if I only get 170 cycles out of it like this one. Incredibly frustrating. I am headed to a genius bar this weekend to see if they have any insight. If Leopard is to blame, I am fully prepared to reinstall Tiger.

Does this sound similar to your situation?

Gerardino
Feb 11, 2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks for everyones replies. Yes Kangotang it does sound similar. My main problem is the crashing at 80%. I too am ready to buy a battery but not if as you say it doesn't help appreciably. I don't think it is Leopard though,well not in my case, as mine was crashing at 80% when Tiger was on.

cal6n sadly I didn't qualify for the battery exchange programme but thanks anyway.

brepublican
Feb 22, 2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks for everyones replies. Yes Kangotang it does sound similar. My main problem is the crashing at 80%. I too am ready to buy a battery but not if as you say it doesn't help appreciably. I don't think it is Leopard though,well not in my case, as mine was crashing at 80% when Tiger was on.

cal6n sadly I didn't qualify for the battery exchange programme but thanks anyway.

Dude, you should def call up Apple and speak with a rep. I had a very similar problem and just got a replacement battery. According to Apple docs, you should be getting atleast 80% charge capacity after 300 cycles. Somethings wrong with your battery.

I shared my experience in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5017857#post5017857). Hope this helps