PDA

View Full Version : Do They Enforce the 2 Educational Rule?

jaw04005
Oct 21, 2003, 10:58 PM
I have purchased tons and tons of software through the Apple Store for Education. I recently purchased AppleCare through the store for my ADC Purchased Powerbook 12". I don't believe Apple strictly enforces the 2 software limit. However, I would like to know about the AppleCare Education Line, thats a crock. The more I think about AppleCare the more I regret purchasing it. I have had my iMac for 1 1/2 years and haven't had to call them once. Does anyone have any information about SafeWare? http://www.safeware.com

ScottDodson
Oct 22, 2003, 12:11 AM
Regret applecare?? Wow...there is no way I would ever spend 3000 bucks on a computer, and not include some form of insurance. I've never had any personal probs with my quicksilver, but my g/f's on the other hand has had quite a few:

1. MoBo "died" = something like 600 bucks
2. HD quit on her = something like 300 bucks
3. Superdrive (laser probs) = 850 bucks!!!

$1750......all covered by applecare. That's a little peace of mind for me and my computer.

jonapete2001
Oct 22, 2003, 03:18 AM
My brother has bought tons of software at apple store and a few machines for relatives. ALl we have to do is show out school id's and they dont ask any more questions. I dont know about other places but the Milwaukee apple store definately does not enforce.

oldschool
Oct 22, 2003, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by joshuawaire
I have purchased tons and tons of software through the Apple Store for Education. I recently purchased AppleCare through the store for my ADC Purchased Powerbook 12". I don't believe Apple strictly enforces the 2 software limit. However, I would like to know about the AppleCare Education Line, thats a crock. The more I think about AppleCare the more I regret purchasing it. I have had my iMac for 1 1/2 years and haven't had to call them once. Does anyone have any information about SafeWare? http://www.safeware.com

DON'T FORGET PEOPLE...applecare is refundable minus a ten percent discount or like 40 bucks whichever is lower, and any repair costs incurred. So if u don't use it, like a month before it expires, send a letter to the address given in the terms and conditions. This will get you your refund.

jaw04005
Oct 22, 2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by ScottDodson
Regret applecare?? Wow...there is no way I would ever spend 3000 bucks on a computer, and not include some form of insurance. I've never had any personal probs with my quicksilver, but my g/f's on the other hand has had quite a few:

$1750......all covered by applecare. That's a little peace of mind for me and my computer.

Im glad they repaired those problems for your girlfriend, but I have an iBook that I purchased less than a year ago, with AppleCare and they won't repair the vertical lines problem (that many users have experienced, just check the Apple Discussion Boards) unless I want to pay $649.00. They say that they already repaired it once (about 2 months after I had it) and *the problem* is not a hardward defect, its just *something* in the way I use the computer. LOL. Give me a break. Even Customer Relations refused to help, that was 3 weeks ago. By the way, Apple still has the iBook and everytime I call about it, they tell me I will have to talk to Direct Dispatch. However, they tell me everytime I have called (5 times as of today) that Direct Dispatch is not answering their phone, please call back later. I would say that is a bunch of BS.

MIADolFan
Oct 22, 2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by ScottDodson

What do you do if you live in Florida??? According to Apple's site the Applecare cannot be sold in Florida. Is there an alternate???

jaw04005
Oct 22, 2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by joshuawaire
Im glad they repaired those problems for your girlfriend, but I have an iBook that I purchased less than a year ago, with AppleCare and they won't repair the vertical lines problem (that many users have experienced, just check the Apple Discussion Boards) unless I want to pay $649.00. They say that they already repaired it once (about 2 months after I had it) and *the problem* is not a hardward defect, its just *something* in the way I use the computer. LOL. Give me a break. Even Customer Relations refused to help, that was 3 weeks ago. By the way, Apple still has the iBook and everytime I call about it, they tell me I will have to talk to Direct Dispatch. However, they tell me everytime I have called (5 times as of today) that Direct Dispatch is not answering their phone, please call back later. I would say that is a bunch of BS.
Update: A freak occurance, but I got a call from a Supervisor at Apple named Adrian today and he told he re-authroized the repair, and to expect the iBook back within 3 days without a charge. I guess you just have to wait it out, finally someone will care. :)

crazzyeddie
Oct 22, 2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by MIADolFan
What do you do if you live in Florida??? According to Apple's site the Applecare cannot be sold in Florida. Is there an alternate???

You can buy AppleCare in Georgia, or anywhere else, and it will still be valid. Its just illegal to sell these kind of warranties in Florida, because of all the old people :-\

rainman::|:|
Oct 22, 2003, 05:49 PM
wow.

i've never heard anyone complain about having a computer not break.

pnw

ibookin'
Oct 22, 2003, 09:26 PM
AppleCare was definitely worth it for me, as you can read in another thread, I've had a lot of problems with my iBook. Without AppleCare, the machine would be dead as a doornail by now.

ScottDodson
Oct 23, 2003, 04:40 PM
Great to hear they fixed your ibook...I knew apple would come through!!! Thank god I never had that problem with my ibook.

On another note, do you guys know what kind of warranties say uuuhhh Dell, Compaq, or even alien ware offer with machines?? I'm definitly not in the market for a crap box, but I just want to know how good apple treats us??