PDA

View Full Version : Totally anecdotal MBA in the Apple Store observations

Chupa Chupa
Feb 2, 2008, 03:04 PM
I was checking out the MBA at the Apple Store today and two things struck me:

1) Chicks dig it. I was playing with what was the middle of a 3 MBA display. In that time women (from college girl to soccer mom to grandma) kept flocking to the machine. The weight was the big draw.

2) When they checked the MBA out they didn't complain about the lack of ports. One USB was OK with them. But just as the MBA was about to close the sale all by itself they asked every time "where's the CD drive?" and then said "too bad" and walked away.

The store, being swamped as always is on the weekend, had no one to explain wireless concept or that there was an add-on drive. The women drooling over the MBA were basically girly-girl types not really interested in technology, but still needing a laptop just like everyone else. I'm afraid Apple is going to miss out on sales if they don't better explain the "wireless" no-CD drive required idea better to the non-geek public.

fridgeymonster3
Feb 2, 2008, 03:09 PM
that sounds just like my wife:) except that i am here to explain the whole wireless concept and to try and dissuade her from buying one

heatmiser
Feb 2, 2008, 03:32 PM
Non geeks aren't going to go for the wireless drive stuff. Most people who buy the computer will get the superdrive instead of trying to mess with the wireless option.

RedTomato
Feb 3, 2008, 04:34 PM
So they should show it with the superdrive attached?

But! that would spoil its clean lines!

Ye gods, what a quotidian yet hideous conundrum!