PDA

View Full Version : How do I lock the thing to my desk?

ipfreely
Feb 2, 2008, 06:54 PM
Went by the Apple store today to look at the Air and there is no security device attachment point. The store had a USB alarm plugged in and nobody there had any ideas on how to accomplish this. I would hate to have to lock it in my desk drawer everytime I went to the bathroom.:D

Also does anyone know if the MBA has the SMS. I like using iAlertU on my MBP and would like to use it on the MBA if I purchase one.

JML42691
Feb 2, 2008, 06:56 PM
I can't answer for the SMS, but there are no other ways to lock it. I would imagine that it would have the SMS, unless if you had a SSD, then it may not. Sorry, unless if you could find a usb type of alarm like the store has, then there is no way to lock/alarm the computer itself. It would be nice if they found a way to make a locking USB thing that could fit into the port.

Hawkeye411
Feb 2, 2008, 06:56 PM
hmmmm ... that's a BIG mistake for such a small computer.

elmo151
Feb 2, 2008, 06:58 PM
I like using iAlertU on my MBP and would like to use it on the MBA if I purchase one

No reason why not.

I suspect someone is busily working on some sort of physical locking mechanism. until then lock it in a drawer (or something else)

RedTomato
Feb 3, 2008, 04:00 PM
Hide it in a manilla envelope.

(my coat's the brown one with the white string hanging off it.)

Hankster
Feb 3, 2008, 04:02 PM
Hide it in a manilla envelope.

LOL, awesome :)

Eric Lewis
Feb 3, 2008, 04:05 PM
just bring it everywhere you go!

iTeen
Feb 3, 2008, 04:07 PM
just bring it everywhere you go!

yea i can totally see bringing it into a public restroom...that would be soo smart

EricNau
Feb 3, 2008, 04:08 PM
Also does anyone know if the MBA has the SMS. I like using iAlertU on my MBP and would like to use it on the MBA if I purchase one.
Yes, I've read numerous reports that say it includes a sudden motion sensor.

blairwillis
Feb 3, 2008, 04:19 PM
Epoxy a lock receiver (kensington style or otherwise) onto it...

...and total ruin the sex appeal of the MacBook Air :(

badtzmaru
Feb 3, 2008, 04:22 PM
Have you tried glue? it should stick the desk easily.

rsbell
Feb 3, 2008, 04:29 PM
Where do you work where you have worry about your co-workers running off with your notebook?

gr8tfly
Feb 3, 2008, 04:43 PM
Yes, I've read numerous reports that say it includes a sudden motion sensor.

I believe it's in the drive, not on the logic board, so I don't think apps like iAlertU will be able to read the sensor data.

The specs tie "SMS" to the 80HD, it's not noted for the SSD model.

If someone with MBA can give it a try, I'd really be interesting in confirming this one way or the other. I won't be able to try it myself for a few days at least (getting one soon, just depends on stock and whether I decide to do a BTO).

NYSculptor
Feb 3, 2008, 05:08 PM
I have the MBA ssd and just downloaded iAlertU, it works fine so far. Pick up the computer and the alarm sounds. Thank you ipfreely for the heads up on this software

gr8tfly
Feb 3, 2008, 05:19 PM
I have the MBA ssd and just downloaded iAlertU, it works fine so far. Pick up the computer and the alarm sounds. Thank you ipfreely for the heads up on this software

Good to know - thanks.

I will take that to mean there still is one on the logic board. They probably just leave it out of the SSD specs because it's meaningless.

ipfreely
Feb 3, 2008, 06:29 PM
Where do you work where you have worry about your co-workers running off with your notebook?

so I'm payed to be paranoid! Leaving a MBA laying around would be about as smart as leaving a small boy unattended in a monastery. :eek:

pscoble
Feb 3, 2008, 06:34 PM
Yeah I'm curious what kind of office environments you all work in I know everyone where I have worked and everybody left their computers out. Hmm well whatever.

tdhurst
Feb 3, 2008, 06:44 PM
yea i can totally see bringing it into a public restroom...that would be soo smart

Are you kidding? I sure as hell would.

JML42691
Feb 3, 2008, 06:54 PM
so I'm payed to be paranoid! Leaving a MBA laying around would be about as smart as leaving a small boy unattended in a monastery. :eek:
I am sure that I am not the only one that finds that completely unfunny, would you mind not cracking religious jokes.

noodle654
Feb 3, 2008, 07:04 PM
Gorilla Glue?? Chains??

Hawkeye411
Mar 18, 2008, 07:30 AM
I am sure that I am not the only one that finds that completely unfunny, would you mind not cracking religious jokes.

Now THAT's funny .. LAMO

Did you hear the one about the Irish minister and the catholic priest? Well .....

Mhaddy
Mar 18, 2008, 07:39 AM
Yeah I'm curious what kind of office environments you all work in I know everyone where I have worked and everybody left their computers out. Hmm well whatever.Not everyone works in a small office where everyone knows your name. There is also the risk of theft from someone not in your office that was let in by mistake. Even if I knew everyone in my office, I wouldn't leave the thing unattended and lying around. That's just asking for it.

fredrickyoon
Mar 18, 2008, 12:01 PM
Wouldn't want to do this to my Air, but decided and purchased the 3 year subscription to LoJack.

hexonxonx
Mar 18, 2008, 02:37 PM

LOL I DO think that's funny! :D

OldSkoolNJ
Mar 18, 2008, 03:04 PM
Try this ... they actually work great. I mean if someone grabs it and runs they could get away but atleast you will know it right away.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5L013-Laptop-Security-Alarm/dp/B000RPVHDC

Kevin :apple:

hotsauce
Mar 18, 2008, 03:08 PM
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Wouldn't want to do this to my Air, but decided and purchased the 3 year subscription to LoJack.

Have you had any success with LoJack in the past?

RedTomato
Mar 18, 2008, 03:09 PM
Now THAT's funny .. LAMO

Did you hear the one about the Irish minister and the catholic priest? Well .....

What about the catholic priest found dead in a gay sex sauna? Luckily there were two other priests there to give him the last rites.

I suppose using a MBA in a sauna would also be penance of a kind. Holy scorched thighs!

fredrickyoon
Mar 18, 2008, 03:32 PM
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Have you had any success with LoJack in the past?

Not exactly, but I have it on my car and I've heard good things about them. Knock on wood though...