Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ghost Horese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
OK I'm having trouble w/ GB. Every time I play back my song it will stop and say:

"This song has too many tracks, effects, or notes to be played in real-time.To optimize performance, see the 'Optimizing GarageBand performance' page in GarageBand Help."

Now I've gone under 'Optimizing GarageBand performance' and I've done the following things:

•Open System Preferences, click the Energy Saver tab, click the Options button, then choose "Highest" from the Processor Performance pop-up menu. Click the Sleep button, then turn off "Put hard disk(s) to sleep when possible.
(I don't have this "highest" setting on my G4 Power Mac!!! So I can't do that!!! Any ides here?)

•Quit other open applications.
(I've done that. Didn't help)

•Mute some tracks in the song.
(Not an option. I need to here them all.)

•Turn off some effects, especially more complex effects such as Amp Simulation.
(Also not an option. I need to here them all.)

•If the song uses many Software Instrument tracks, convert some Software Instrument regions to Real Instrument regions. To learn how, see the "Tips" page.
(Don't use 'em.)

•Choose GarageBand > Preferences, click the Audio/MIDI tab, then click the "Maximum number of simultaneous tracks" button in the "Optimize for" section.
(Did it.)

•Choose GarageBand > Preferences, then click the Advanced tab. Choose lower settings from the "Real Instrument Tracks", "Software Instrument Tracks"or "Voices per instrument" pop-up menus in the Advanced pane.
(Doesn't apply.)

•FileVault can cause reading data from your Home directory to be significantly slower. To improve performance, open System Preferences, click the Security tab, and turn off FileVault, or move and keep your songs outside of your Home directory.
(Done.)

•Your computer can read data more quickly from its hard disk than from removable media, such as a CD or DVD. Copy songs to your computer's hard disk before playing them.
(Doesn't apply.)

•Some external hard disks may read data more quickly than your internal hard disk. If you have a high-speed external hard disk, try copying songs to it before playing.
(don't have one. Should I get one?!?!)

Also, I've cleared out Pics, MP3, and other big files to try and make more room, but I'm still getting this message! What should I do? Buy more RAM? Buy a external HD? Help!!! Thanks in advance!!!!!

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
I'm not sure on this, because you're using a G4. I think your best options are going to cost you some money, and a nice little chunk of it. I'm assuming you don't have firewire 800, so you can either install a firewire 800 card, or an eSATA card, and then purchase an external hard drive for one of these options. Either of them *should* be fast enough to resolve this, but I'm not 100 percent sure they will pull it off.

Your other option would be to sell the G4 and upgrade to a G5 system. I wish I knew of a free way to resolve this, but short of going to an Apple store with your GB files burned to a DVD, that's all I can think of. Good luck.

Ghost Horese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
I didn't see locking the tracks there, have you tried it? Thats meant to help performance quite a bit...
How do I do that?

I'm not sure on this, because you're using a G4. I think your best options are going to cost you some money, and a nice little chunk of it. I'm assuming you don't have firewire 800, so you can either install a firewire 800 card, or an eSATA card, and then purchase an external hard drive for one of these options. Either of them *should* be fast enough to resolve this, but I'm not 100 percent sure they will pull it off.

Your other option would be to sell the G4 and upgrade to a G5 system. I wish I knew of a free way to resolve this, but short of going to an Apple store with your GB files burned to a DVD, that's all I can think of. Good luck.
So what is a exactly is a firewire 800 card and a eSATA card and how will this help?

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
This is a Firewire 800 card. It allows you to connect an external hard drive that can send data fast enough to work with GB. This is an eSATA card. The same applies. If your song can't open do to lack of space, you'll need more space that has fast access times. If you can install another hard drive, that would work as well. More ram is always a good thing when faced with hardware shortcomings, imho. These are some options to improve your systems performance with GB and songs with lots of tracks/effects.

But honestly, if you can afford it, I would upgrade to a G5 MP. Good luck.

Ghost Horses

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
This is a Firewire 800 card. It allows you to connect an external hard drive that can send data fast enough to work with GB. This is an eSATA card. The same applies. If your song can't open do to lack of space, you'll need more space that has fast access times. If you can install another hard drive, that would work as well. More ram is always a good thing when faced with hardware shortcomings, imho. These are some options to improve your systems performance with GB and songs with lots of tracks/effects.

But honestly, if you can afford it, I would upgrade to a G5 MP. Good luck.
So what's the advantage of an external over a internal? Can't I get the same results from a internal HD w/o buying the above? I do have a slot for another HD on top of my existing HD that is already installed in my G4. Couldn't that get me around from buying a external? Sorry, but I'm a bit confused, help me understand...

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
Adding an internal hard drive would be fast enough. Adding ram would have a significant increase in performance. I would start with adding ram. If that doesn't resolve your issue, then perhaps the faster external hard drives. Short of that, I'm out of ideas.

Ghost Horses

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
Adding an internal hard drive would be fast enough. Adding ram would have a significant increase in performance. I would start with adding ram. If that doesn't resolve your issue, then perhaps the faster external hard drives. Short of that, I'm out of ideas.
Cool! I'll cross my fingers and try the RAM! So your saying that even if I install a internal HD a external HD may be needed? Any ideas on a good external HD that will get me back in the game? Sorry to be a pain I'm lost when it comes to this stuff. Thanks for the help btw!

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
In my experiences with Garageband files containing over 100 tracks, the best things to do are:

1. Make sure you have a lot of ram (minimum of 2GB)
2. Keep the GB file on the local disk, not an external disk
3. Lock all the tracks by clicking the lock icon
4. Go to GB preferences->advanced->set real instruments to 64 or 255, set software instruments to 64

Ghost Horese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
In my experiences with Garageband files containing over 100 tracks, the best things to do are:

1. Make sure you have a lot of ram (minimum of 2GB)
2. Keep the GB file on the local disk, not an external disk
3. Lock all the tracks by clicking the lock icon
4. Go to GB preferences->advanced->set real instruments to 64 or 255, set software instruments to 64
Thanks for the info! I have an old version of GB. Not sure if I can even lock the tracks. Where is the lock icon? I have version 1.1.0

Ghost Horses

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
So I hope my problems are over w/ this issue. I have a new/old Mac on the way that someone in my family is giving me. It has a LOT more beef then my current G4, so I don't think I should have any problems in the future. My question now is this, how can I bring the current GB project into my new/old G4? Also, I've decided to devote a new/separate profile entirely to the project when I get the other G4. Good idea or not? Btw the project is a podcast w/ a lot of tracks and effects. It's going to be around 15-20mins long...

So yeah any tips and advise will be of the utmost help!

Thanks!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.