Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
i am a techie who used to be a hr person and people have sent resumes or asked for tips from macrumors, so now, if you want free advice, post your resumes or questions and i can help

i felt prompted to put this up when eyelikeart asked for tips;)

of course, don't need real names or addresses, just make something up

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
thanks, eye

yeah, you can post it here or send it to my private box here on macrumors

i know this thread is not as easy to "do" as other threads and it is a pain to post a full resume so general questions are fine also, but it could pay off if you are looking for a job

the main thing i tell people is keep the initial resume to one page and if it is a technical resume, then keep the jargon to a minimum since hr people don't know the jargon as well as the techies do

to those outside of the techie field, ieee sounds like a sci fi club and A+ is thought to be a computer language:D

and i could help with any type of resume

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
no worries...

I emailed u a pdf a little while ago...

I can't post that up here I don't think...

anyway...thanks again jef...

ps: any advice on good cover letter structure?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i'm interested, but i'm not a mac techie or anything! so i wouldn't really fit the mold of the types of folks jef could help out..

it's a good offer though. others should probably take him up on it

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by eyelikeart

can I come live with u??? ;)
You right there?

First he looks over you resume, next thing you want to live with him? I think you're moving a bit too fast there ;)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
i'm interested, but i'm not a mac techie or anything! so i wouldn't really fit the mold of the types of folks jef could help out..

I'm not a "techie" either...but the point is help is help...

what do u do anyway?

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by Beej
You right there?

First he looks over you resume, next thing you want to live with him? I think you're moving a bit too fast there ;)

hmm...good point...it's just when california is the case...I get a bit excited...he he he... :p

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
I'm not a "techie" either...but the point is help is help...

what do u do anyway?

well i am a film student...

looking for a job for the summer now. either in nyc (i hope to be able to get a dorm for the summer if i can get a job) or at home in southern PA or nearby maryland...

doing editing or animation stuff ideally. or just general video stuff if need be... but basically i'll take anything at all related to anything graphical.. ie, graphic design etc. no luck so far..

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

well i am a film student...

looking for a job for the summer now. either in nyc (i hope to be able to get a dorm for the summer if i can get a job) or at home in southern PA or nearby maryland...

doing editing or animation stuff ideally. or just general video stuff if need be... but basically i'll take anything at all related to anything graphical.. ie, graphic design etc. no luck so far..

dude u should definitely get something going then...it's still a creative job...

the best thing for someone like u (in my opinion) would be to get into an internship program...if u can afford to work for free...I did that at a television station...and it looks really great on a resume! :p

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I'd like to move to California....... or Seattle......... *sniff sniff*

Anyone know of any decent job sites that cover creative work in these 2 cities..... not sure which one I'd prefer....... SF has a really cool dance music scene (I think u US guys call it Electronica..... :p ) but Seattle is more sophisticated in an European way..... and it rains alot just like London..... so I wouldn't feel as homesick......:p

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by iGAV
I'd like to move to California....... or Seattle......... *sniff sniff*

Anyone know of any decent job sites that cover creative work in these 2 cities..... not sure which one I'd prefer....... SF has a really cool dance music scene (I think u US guys call it Electronica..... :p ) but Seattle is more sophisticated in an European way..... and it rains alot just like London..... so I wouldn't feel as homesick......:p

hmm....which city in California are u interested in???

there's always creative job openings all throughout California it seems...I had to shut Cali out on monster.com because I kept getting job postings...and I'm not moving there anymore...

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
San-Francisco, I was there in 2000 and thought it was great... crappy weather just like England aswell..... although when I was there it was actually really hot and I got nasty sunburn on my head.... ouch!!

I really, really liked Seattle though...... it's such a cool city.....

I'll check monster.com......... was just wondering if cities had there own local job sites........

I'm off hunting now!!:D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
re: San Francisco

San Francisco is a gorgeous city...expensive as all hell...actually, it's the most expensive city in the U.S. with New York trailing closely behind...

the weather isn't that bad....ever venture out to New Orleans?? it's sunny & humid one minute...then the next it'll be dark like hell's freezing over and storming it's sweet @ss off...

lots of jobs in San Fran....tons of jobs in Silicon Valley...

I'm not sure about local sites for specific cities...usually stuff like that is linked up to a local newspaper website...at least for New Orleans our newspaper website has classified listings...

monster.com is a really good source...lots of employers check monster... :p

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
the best thing for someone like u (in my opinion) would be to get into an internship program...if u can afford to work for free...I did that at a television station...and it looks really great on a resume! :p

yeah, did that... i had an internship that worked out really great last fall, working for credit as well as getting $100/week! it was great. it was a commercial production company with their own studio. i was on set for a few shoots, which was good experience though not specifically aimed at what i want to do in the long run. good stuff though. i also was pretty much the main technically skilled guy there, setting up a g4 based editing suite and such... as well as keeping an eye on the 3 macs they had running... it also led me to an animation job for the producer there, which has since fizzled out (i did the animation and got paid and everything, but we haven't talked in a while and he had asked if i wanted to edit for his new company and such... so a bit of a bummer)

anyways, i can't do a credit only job in the summer because i'll have to pay the school per credit. crazy. and if i get a job in nyc, then i have to make money or else it wouldn't really be feasible for my parents to pay for me to live here. either way though, i've been looking.... there have been a few things.

unfortunately i live in southern pa (when not at school) and there's nothing creative for miles. unless the bikini car wash counts... yikes.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: macs and resumes

Originally posted by jefhatfield
i am a techie who used to be a hr person and people have sent resumes or asked for tips from macrumors, so now, if you want free advice, post your resumes or questions and i can help

i felt prompted to put this up when eyelikeart asked for tips;)

What sort of advice are you giving out? Is it specific to all fields or mac just related?

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
re: internships...

working as an intern was one the best experiences I've had...but u are right...it sucks not to get paid for the work u do...

I did mine for 8 months (they told me I could stay as long as I wanted)...and when it became apparent they weren't going to consider hiring me (new management...long...long story) I decided to leave...

but now I have that experience on my resume...having worked for an NBC affiliate station...pretty big deal to me anyway...I did news graphics for their daily news shows...he he he...

also the tech school where I was didn't offer any intern programs...so I was able to get them to allow me to do it...gave them good press for having one of their students involved with a television station... ;)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I'm gonna check the comparative prices between London and San-Francisco and Seattle...... London is just way out there when it comes to expense, really make NYC look cheap!!

Never been to New Orleans..... what's it like?? Creative work front? nightlife? etc etc.....

Actually Vancouver has just entered my mind aswell........

Have lots to hunt for now!! :D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
re: New Orleans

New Orleans is unlike any other city in this country...or so I've noticed and been told many times...

there's always something going on every weekend...
bars stay open all night long...
u can buy liquor at the grocery store rather than having to go to a liquor store...
the restaurants here are absolutely incredible...we are known for our cuisine...
and events like Mardi Gras & Jazz Fest bring tourists from all over...
definitely a creative person's city...lots of history and ambience all over...
we have tons of artists here...too many sometimes...he he he...

but it is dirty...the economy here just sucks...it's only cold 3 months out of the year...summer's are ungodly hot....probably the worst condition streets I've ever seen...

it's really cool to come visit...but I'm ready to get out.... :cool:

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
yeah, i'd like to get an internship like that, but the freelance work i got as a result was pretty good too.

the cbs and other network internships here are like 5 bucks/day.... haha. i think that's funny compared to the small place i worked for for 100/week... like 15 hours a week. plus credit... ahh. good times

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.