PDA

View Full Version : Take 2, new features...

billabong
Feb 3, 2008, 04:08 PM
For those that still are wanting to know more about the Take2 update before we get it, I suggest checking out this article http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/what-to-expect-from-apple-tv-20-photos-and-details/

There are a few features that I wasn't aware of such as 1080P output! how sources are handled and more...

This should tie you over until we actually get our hands on this update.

ccortez
Feb 3, 2008, 05:54 PM
Holy Crap, Batman! 1080p!?

OK, I'm reading, I'm reading...

FreeState
Feb 3, 2008, 06:12 PM
There are a few features that I wasn't aware of such as 1080P output

Just keep in mind that the 1080p is just upscaling out - 720p is the highest it will actually play.

billabong
Feb 3, 2008, 06:19 PM
Just keep in mind that the 1080p is just upscaling out - 720p is the highest it will actually play.

I understand it would just be upscaling it, but it's definitely a move in the right direction right? Maybe with Take 3 they will introduce 1080p rentals?... But I'm happy right now with Take 2! Just can't wait to play with it.

billabong
Feb 3, 2008, 07:22 PM
Another unmentioned feature...

HD Trailers!

http://www.ilounge.com/assets/images/features_appletv20/3.jpg

TheBigS
Feb 3, 2008, 10:15 PM
but mommy, I want it in Canada now :( :p

MikieMikie
Feb 4, 2008, 06:12 AM
Thanks for this link, OP. It looks like Apple really rethought the interface and feature set.

It looks like it's more than just a means to get into our bank accounts. Which is a pleasant surprise!

zedsdead
Feb 4, 2008, 08:34 AM

But what about the Photo's? Will they be native 1080P output...if so, they will look even nicer.

joco
Feb 4, 2008, 08:43 AM

Actually you cant upscale from 720p to 1080p... only to 1080i, I believe.

ipedro
Feb 4, 2008, 11:20 AM
But what about the Photo's? Will they be native 1080P output...if so, they will look even nicer.

I think you're right. Static or low processing images such as photos and menus will likely display in 1080p while video will output @ 720p.

roland.g
Feb 4, 2008, 11:26 AM
What I want to know is that I saw Genres listed in the movies section during the keynote. I wonder if that is for rentals only/browsing the store, or if the Apple TV now supports genre classifications for browsing either synced or streamed movies for those of us who have either bought enough iTS movies combined with Handbraked movies in our iTunes libraries. Those lists start getting long. Genre "playlists" are really overdue.

gotohamish
Feb 4, 2008, 12:00 PM
Another unmentioned feature...

HD Trailers!

http://www.ilounge.com/assets/images/features_appletv20/3.jpg

That was mentioned during the keynote, but it's a welcome reminder.

Feb 4, 2008, 12:39 PM
I understand it would just be upscaling it, but it's definitely a move in the right direction right? Maybe with Take 3 they will introduce 1080p rentals?... But I'm happy right now with Take 2! Just can't wait to play with it.

Which wouldn't really be even close to feasible unless you have a 20 Mbps downstream or faster from your ISP... and even then it'll take more than two hours to download a feature.

:D

LouTreize
Feb 4, 2008, 02:18 PM
but mommy, I want it in Canada now :( :p

Nope, we got no love...

ipedro
Feb 4, 2008, 05:14 PM
Not to get too off track from the subject, but taking on from where the previous post leaves off, Canada might be getting better new iTunes shows in the immediate future.

Because of the strike, American networks are uncovering amazing new Canadian shows such as "The Border" and "Flashpoint" (on CBC and CTV) which will be playing on NBC and CBS.

Because these are Canadian shows on Canadian networks, they'll be available for purchase on iTunes Canada. Can't wait!

...now back on new features of Take 2, I'm wondering if browsing your own content can be done visually via album art in the cover flow line up seen in Take2's iTunes Store.

robrose20
Feb 4, 2008, 05:32 PM
For those that still are wanting to know more about the Take2 update before we get it, I suggest checking out this article http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/what-to-expect-from-apple-tv-20-photos-and-details/

There are a few features that I wasn't aware of such as 1080P output! how sources are handled and more...

This should tie you over until we actually get our hands on this update.

1080p??? I just wet myself.... when are they releasing the update!!!!!!!

I know it is upscaling, but it means apple TV can support 1080p, so in the future it is possible we can see 1080p content. NICE!

Krevnik
Feb 4, 2008, 06:35 PM
Actually you cant upscale from 720p to 1080p... only to 1080i, I believe.

You can upscale 720p to 1080p just fine. The question is: Does the ATV have the processor power to do it without dropping frames? Odds are: yeah, it does.

trevreyno
Feb 5, 2008, 07:02 AM
The search feature seems only to be tied to the online store when are :apple: going to give us a search for our own itunes library? surely this basic feature could have been included.
If you have a large library scrolling seems to take forever.