PDA

View Full Version : OS X on an 8600?

menoinjun
Apr 27, 2002, 11:10 AM
I have found this site http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/
that claims to have code so that one can install OS X on computers as old as the Powermac 7500. If anyone has one of these computers, I would be very interested to see how it would run. My roommate has an 8600, but he's selling it on ebay so he doesn't want to mess with it.

Acutally since I mentioned it...here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2019952595

He was hoping to get around $200 for it. Does this seem reasonable? If anyone wants to make any offers, he's open for negotiation.

-Pete

eyelikeart
Apr 27, 2002, 11:18 AM
I've seen that before too pete...but I'm not really sure how well it would run on that machine...I say try it out...worst case scenario u would have to reinstall 8 or 9 on it right?

$200 seems to be about as much as he could get for it...considering it's...what....5 years old??

Falleron
Apr 27, 2002, 12:41 PM
I have a 8600 but cant really even run OS9.2! Its not the speed really, its the limited memory (only got 32Mb + its too expensive to get more). On that machine I run OS8.6 which runs well.

mc68k
Apr 27, 2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by ptrauber
I have found this site http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/
that claims to have code so that one can install OS X on computers as old as the Powermac 7500. If anyone has one of these computers, I would be very interested to see how it would run.

He was hoping to get around $200 for it. Does this seem reasonable?

$200 is about the max that he would get for this. Realistically, I would value this between $100-150 considering it still has the original 250MHz 604e processor daughtercard, used 5 year old computer, and not much else.

For pre-beige G3 macs, the 9600 and 9500 are tops. They're based off the Tsunami motherboard architecture, whereas the 8600 is based off the Kansas architecture. I like the 9x00 series better, just because they're the peak of pre-Gossamer expandability. These 8x00 and 9x00 series machines have incredible options for upgrade.

There are a lot more problems on 7x00 series machines because they have motherboard-intergrated video. I think the 8600 does too becuase it has VRAM slots on the board. The latest version of XpOSFacto has attempted to solve this onboard video problem that can lead to kernel panics.

OS X will run great on these machines, but it has the potential to be a major hassle. To get any decent performance with OS X, you would have to upgrade this machine with more RAM, better processor, and faster HDs. I've run X off my 604e, but you can't get much done since it's so slow.

Since you asked what the performance is like on an unsupported machine, I'll tell you what it's like on my S900 (9500 clone).

Specs:
G4/450 OC'd to 510MHz
528MB RAM
ATA/133 Card
Radeon Mac Edition - 32MB DDR
Firewire
USB
10/100 Ethernet
16*10*40x Yamaha 2100S
48X OEM Apple CD-ROM
ZIP-100
30GB WD Caviar 7200RPM
Various cable/heat cotrol hacks

With that said, this machine runs OS X like a champ. My worksation at the university is a stock Yosemite 450, and my S900 blows it out of the water. I'd say my machine is comprable to a 450>G4<733 for less cost and more upgrade options. It does everything that a G4 can do.

I guess it all comes down to what you want to spend. I wanted the challenge of building a beast from scratch, but it has been fraught with problems (none of which I couldn't handle :)). If you do decide to build one, it will be a high-maintenence rig, guaranteed.

My advice to you would be to buy a older series G4 off eBay. This will take far less maintenence and have better cost efficiency than what you can get from a souped-up old systemó unless you want to do something crazy, like me. :)

Where to go for more info:
xlr8yourmac forums
low end mac's unsupported OS X list
Ryan Rempel himself

Hope this helps.

menoinjun
Apr 27, 2002, 11:38 PM
I do appreciate the help actually, but I have a computer very well suited to Mac OS X. I run it on a Dual 533 with 768 megs of ram. I was just curious about how it would run on an 8600. I would try it, but to tell you the truth, I'm way too lazy to get it set up and install it. Thanks though.

Any ideas on what exactly that 16 MB Ati/Creative video and sound accelerator is? I've never seen anything like it. I'm baffled.

-pete