PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air Restart Test - 1.6/HD vs. 1.8/SSD vs. MacBook 2.2

stpchien
Feb 3, 2008, 04:26 PM
I went to my local Apple store and ran some tests, using my trusty iPhone as a stopwatch. The time it took for each of the machines to reboot and display the Apple Store menu screen (time measured from hitting the Restart button):

MBA 1.6/HD - 1 minute, 8 seconds

MBA 1.8/SSD - 40 seconds

MB 2.2 (Black model) - 48 seconds

Note on the testing: To account for the various programs that might have been open, I restarted the machine *twice* -- first, to clear out any programs that might have been launched by other customers. Then, I reboot a second time from that fresh start, and those times are the ones reported above.

Is the extra speed during disk-intensive operations like booting up really worth the extra $999? I wish folks could report some real-world battery life comparisons; that would be the deal-clincher for me if the MBA/SSD improved battery life significantly (on the order of 45 mins to an hour) -- but that may be wishful thinking.

The Apple Store software clearly adds to the launch time. For example, the MB 2.2 usually boots in about 40 seconds without the Apple Store software.