PDA

View Full Version : manilamac / AirMail = SHIPPING ! :)

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumorUser
Feb 3, 2008, 05:25 PM
so like a spoilt over funded nerd I am I bought one of the manilamac.com airmail cases and just noticed that my CC has been charged, but I have received no correspondence about shipping, other than a week or so ago saying that shipping was delayed.

So has anyone who has also ordered received anything else, your case, correspondence ?

clayj
Feb 3, 2008, 07:09 PM
I got probably the same e-mail you did, saying that I'd be receiving my case right around the same time I get my MBA.

MacRumorUser
Feb 3, 2008, 07:17 PM
yeah same one it seems :)

Jimmie Geddes
Feb 3, 2008, 07:27 PM
I got the same email as you guys. I really wish I had the AirMail now so I could put my MacBook Air in it, hopefully they'll ship soon. It feels too fragile to put it in the messenger bag I carried my 12" PowerBook in, it needs a sleeve.

aiongiant
Feb 3, 2008, 07:38 PM
i think this is so cool! haha
however i didnt' buy one
it being "homemade" sort of speak i was very iffy about it

i only wish belkin or Apple make one hehe

Eric Lewis
Feb 3, 2008, 07:40 PM
just buy a envolope for 2cents

aiongiant
Feb 3, 2008, 07:42 PM
just buy a envolope for 2cents

it's not made out of paper.. lol however if it was that would be pretty funny since it's $30 lol

Eric Lewis
Feb 3, 2008, 07:44 PM
it's not made out of paper.. lol however if it was that would be pretty funny since it's $30 lol

30 dollars for a cloth 2cent envolope? wow

i could buy a box of 300 envolopes for 300bucks...and get a new one every 100 days and have them forever

aiongiant
Feb 3, 2008, 07:46 PM
30 dollars for a cloth 2cent envolope? wow

i could buy a box of 300 envolopes for 300bucks...and get a new one every 100 days and have them forever

lol
i didn't buy one.. i thought it was pretty pricey too

i just thought it looked cool

Eric Lewis
Feb 3, 2008, 07:47 PM
and yes

i know its not envolopes!

(i just spell it that way)

envelopes!

100 for 11bucks
http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/WEVCOR90.html

MacRumorUser
Feb 4, 2008, 01:10 AM
they are no longer being homemade. They had too many orders so were sent to an external source to be manufactured. This was part of the delay.

And if I wanted to buy a plain envelope I would have, but this seems a decent slip case and the price is comparable to others so I don't know what you guys are bitching about.

oli
Feb 4, 2008, 07:14 AM
and yes

envelopes!

100 for 11bucks

Hallo, these are not that classical Envelopes. Do you know, where to buy (the real paper) Envelopes?

clayj
Feb 4, 2008, 02:20 PM
I e-mailed Jona this morning. The response I just now got:

Hey Clay,

Wow, lucky! We're still waiting for ours...

It looks like we'll be shipping the sleeves this week. Sorry about the delay, it's really been bonkers over here at AirMail HQ.

We'll let you know as soon as they ship!

Love,
Jona & Claire

Terwal
Feb 4, 2008, 02:51 PM
Hi... Great thread. Was thinking about buying one, but then got my doubts just before confirming the payment. Will look forward to you guys confirming having received yours with impressions and comments... Thanks...

MacRumorUser
Feb 4, 2008, 04:03 PM
^ No problem. Will post a review when it comes :)

Terwal
Feb 10, 2008, 03:51 AM
Has anyone got his/her Air Mail delivered yet ?

MacRumorUser
Feb 10, 2008, 03:54 AM
Nope!! The wait continues.

Clayj - posted he received another email saying they had been delayed further, but I have not received this email yet, but on the same token I haven't received my airmail either....

Terwal
Feb 10, 2008, 03:57 AM
I see... :( Was your credit card charged ?

MacRumorUser
Feb 10, 2008, 04:07 AM
I see... :( Was your credit card charged ?

Yes you pay by paypal therefore your charged straight away.

Terwal
Feb 10, 2008, 04:09 AM
Really hope this is not a scam... will look forward to your updates (cause I still really like the sleeve)... Thanks :)

MacRumorUser
Feb 10, 2008, 04:21 AM
Don't think it's a scam because they are responding to emails, and going to a lot of trouble keeping people informed.

Scam artists rarely follow up anything after taking your money.

But yeah, we await and as soon as any other information is available I'm sure we will post :)

Catch
Feb 10, 2008, 04:46 AM
It seems to me they totally underestimated the amount of demand and are now scrambling to get them produced. Hopefully for you, and them, they will start shipping soon. Would be a shame if their business failed because of supply issues!

Regards,

C

uber gorilla
Feb 10, 2008, 05:56 AM
Nothing new for me... I ordered mine a few days ago, and recently received the email from the Manilamac guys, informing me that shipment would be delayed.

If it is true that they're scrapping the whole hand-made thing and have moved to a factory-based construction, I wouldn't blame them. Big demand! But the sleeve looks hot, so I'm willing to wait a few weeks (even if it means not taking my MBA with me on my journeys outta the house).

But hey, this whole waiting-for-the-AirMail sleeve thing is small fries compared to the epic wait I've experienced for my MBA, which happens to be pending delivery tomorrow, all being well!

dahcheet
Feb 11, 2008, 09:23 AM
I'm still patiently waiting for my Manila Mac. I've had my Air for a week now and took it out of the house for the first time yesterday without a case or anything. I clutched it pretty well so as not to let it slip out of my hand and laid it gently on the passenger seat next to me in the car. I can't wait to get this case though. I ordered mine January 17th so I would hope mine would be coming soon.

My Air is NAKED!!

MacRumorUser
Feb 11, 2008, 09:25 AM
^ Yeah I ordered around the same and still patiently waiting.

I know they said if we want to cancel we can get back to them and they will process the cancellation, but really I just want my sweet looking case that i'm prepared to wait. :) (for now)

Sandy Santra
Feb 11, 2008, 10:15 AM
Me, too. I ordered two. One for me, one for my girlfriend. And we don't even have MBAs yet! :-)

dahcheet
Feb 11, 2008, 10:25 AM
I sent them an e-mail shortly after posting my last comment and here's the response I got.

Thanks for your order and your email!

This is the bad news, however:

We've encountered some pretty significant delays that are going to prohibit us from shipping out your AirMail sleeve for another two weeks. We really appreciate your order, more than you could ever know, really! We're not a big business, or even a small business; we're just two people working as hard as we can to get this insanely overwhelming project fully realized and on your doorstep. We never expected to be on every blog on the internet and to sell thousands of sleeves to nice people like you all around the world! But that's the reality and we're going to work ourselves to the bone make this cool thing for you.

We sent out a big email with this news to all the pre-orderers on Saturday -- maybe it ended up in your junk folder?

Sit tight and we'll make you smile. If you'd like to cancel your order, just reply to this email and let us know.

Best,
Jona & Claire

I checked my junk folder and didn't see the e-mail they sent out to preorders. Did anyone else get this message?

HLdan
Feb 11, 2008, 10:33 AM
I sent them an e-mail shortly after posting my last comment and here's the response I got.

Thanks for your order and your email!

This is the bad news, however:

We've encountered some pretty significant delays that are going to prohibit us from shipping out your AirMail sleeve for another two weeks. This is the bad news, however:
We're not a big business, or even a small business; we're just two people working as hard as we can to get this insanely overwhelming project fully realized and on your doorstep. We never expected to be on every blog on the internet and to sell thousands of sleeves to nice people like you all around the world! But that's the reality and we're going to work ourselves to the bone make this cool thing for you.

We sent out a big email with this news to all the pre-orderers on Saturday -- maybe it ended up in your junk folder?

Sit tight and we'll make you smile. If you'd like to cancel your order, just reply to this email and let us know.

Best,
Jona & Claire

I checked my junk folder and didn't see the e-mail they sent out to preorders. Did anyone else get this message?

If that's the type of email you received then I would really recommend canceling your order. No matter how small their company is what type of outfit begins emails stating, "This is the bad news, however:"
And this one too, "We really appreciate your order, more than you could ever know, really!"The rest of the email is entirely unprofessional and amateur and it sounds like this whole thing is a scam.

MacRumorUser
Feb 11, 2008, 10:43 AM

YES!! I got the mailer on Saturday.

We paid through paypal and via CC, so at the end of the day even if it turns out they can not fulfill the orders... we can get our money back through the CC company or paypal.

clayj
Feb 11, 2008, 10:45 AM
If that's the type of email you received then I would really recommend canceling your order. No matter how small their company is what type of outfit begins emails stating, "This is the bad news, however:"
And this one too, "We really appreciate your order, more than you could ever know, really!"The rest of the email is entirely unprofessional and amateur and it sounds like this whole thing is a scam.They did send out an e-mail on Saturday telling everyone about the delay. They also sent one out earlier in the week saying the same thing... I got both e-mails.

For what it's worth, I e-mailed them on Saturday to ask them to cancel my order, since I could not wait any longer for a sleeve and bought an Incase sleeve at the local Apple Store. I got a refund notification from PayPal instantly, even before I got e-mail back from them confirming cancellation of the order. So I don't think it's a scam; I think they're just completely overwhelmed by the number of orders they received.

ExcelonGT
Feb 11, 2008, 11:27 AM
And this one too, "We really appreciate your order, more than you could ever know, really!"The rest of the email is entirely unprofessional and amateur and it sounds like this whole thing is a scam.

Its a company started by two hippies. what else do you expect?

Sandy Santra
Feb 11, 2008, 11:47 AM
I don't think it's a scam; I think they're just completely overwhelmed by the number of orders they received.

I would tend to agree with this. I already own probably 5 cases for my MBP, so I'm sure I'll be buying plenty for my (soon to be purchased) MBA. I don't mind waiting awhile for this extra special "case." In the meantime, I have an Incase bag for the small MacBook that should work with the Air.

When I placed my order, the UI for the purchase process seem slick and well-integrated with all major credit cards as well as PayPal, so I still have confidence in them at this point.

dahcheet
Feb 11, 2008, 12:23 PM
YES!! I got the mailer on Saturday.

We paid through paypal and via CC, so at the end of the day even if it turns out they can not fulfill the orders... we can get our money back through the CC company or paypal.

Would you mind forwarding the e-mail to me? [my username] [at] gmail [dot] com

I'm not too worried about this being a scam. I'm a little sad it's taking a bit longer than expected to get mine but I guess there is quite a demand for it. I'll give it to then end of February before I cancel my order.

MacRumorUser
Feb 11, 2008, 12:27 PM
Would you mind forwarding the e-mail to me? [my username] [at] gmail [dot] com

I'm not too worried about this being a scam. I'm a little sad it's taking a bit longer than expected to get mine but I guess there is quite a demand for it. I'll give it to then end of February before I cancel my order.

Will do. :)

summitwynds
Feb 11, 2008, 01:38 PM
Their website says they will be shipping the week of 2/18

HLdan
Feb 11, 2008, 02:51 PM
Its a company started by two hippies. what else do you expect?

So are Apple and Microsoft. :D

dahcheet
Feb 11, 2008, 02:54 PM
So are Apple and Microsoft. :D

Never thought about it that way. Although I don't expect these hippies to build a multi-billion dollar enterprise from making replica manila folders for computers. I could be wrong though.

uber gorilla
Feb 20, 2008, 01:36 AM
Has anyone who has ordered a super cool AirMail sleeve heard any news about shipment (besides the old news that shipment has been delayed until the week of the 18th)?

It's now the 20th, and I dying to get my MBA out and about, and would like a decent case to lug it around in. Any news?

dahcheet
Feb 20, 2008, 07:00 AM
Has anyone who has ordered a super cool AirMail sleeve heard any news about shipment (besides the old news that shipment has been delayed until the week of the 18th)?

It's now the 20th, and I dying to get my MBA out and about, and would like a decent case to lug it around in. Any news?

I haven't received any update since I e-mailed them last (see previous post in this thread). I'm hoping they start shipping and get out soon. I'm carrying my MBA in a Dell laptop case and the thing swims in it.

weeman
Feb 20, 2008, 10:32 AM
I emailed them yesterday afternoon. Here was my response back from them:

"After a great deal of delays due to the overwhelming demand for the AirMail, we're finally shipping at the end of this week!

Best,
Claire & Jona"

hotsauce
Feb 20, 2008, 11:26 AM
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Over promise, under deliver.

MacRumorUser
Feb 20, 2008, 06:42 PM
Let's hope they all ship this week.... :)

mbaman77
Feb 20, 2008, 07:58 PM
I hear they are going to back out and refund the money to everyone . they still do not have a real product from what i hear also, I got my money back. if they do ship it will be a while.

uber gorilla
Feb 20, 2008, 09:04 PM
I hear they are going to back out and refund the money to everyone . they still do not have a real product from what i hear also, I got my money back. if they do ship it will be a while.

Ok, if that happens I won't freak out, but I will be disappointed coz the AirMail sleeve looks awesome. It's kinda like a big in-joke for the nerd who watched the MacWorld keynote :)

On the other hand, it's good news (if true...?) that they're gonna ship them sleeves by the end of the week!

Fingers proverbially crossed.

MacRumorUser
Feb 21, 2008, 03:54 AM
^ I do not believe that is going to happen.

It seems what happened was they received too many orders to produce them themselves. So they have outsourced someone to manufacture them for them, however this process takes time. Getting quotes, sourcing sufficient quantities of materials, production, shipping to them etc...

If by the end of next week they still have not distributed any, then I may cancel, however at the end of the day - they have had no issue refunding people who want there money back, and your always protected by paypal and your CC company as well.

I'm willing to sit this one out and just see what happens. I know if I cancel and they do ship I'll be kicking myself for not having one of these fancy new cases. :)

Chad H
Feb 22, 2008, 01:36 PM
I ordered mine on the February 3rd. Its kinda getting ridiculous. But, I'm still going to wait. Has anybody heard anything else since its the end of the week and no shipment notification?

sooshi
Feb 22, 2008, 10:57 PM
I'm so annoyed because I've chipped the corner of my MBA :mad:

brendanryder
Feb 22, 2008, 11:50 PM
I'm so annoyed because I've chipped the corner of my MBA :mad:

dido, i put a dint in mine
the aluminium is so thin, i think mine is bent too :(

brendanryder
Feb 22, 2008, 11:57 PM
and yes

envelopes!

100 for 11bucks

those bitches weigh 28 fricking pounds!!!!!
100 envelopes: $12.98
1 Macbook Air: $1990
Paying out of your ass for shipping: priceless

grafikat
Feb 23, 2008, 08:15 AM
Being a reasonably skilled stitcher, I'm just going to make my own. My Singer "Featherlight" sews through anything. For those of you not so inclined, try neoprene, velcro and adhesive.

More options in other thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5022044#post5022044)

Chad H
Feb 23, 2008, 09:17 AM
Well, the only thing is the constant delays. What's the most annoying is that my credit card has already been billed.

GoCubsGo
Feb 23, 2008, 09:55 AM
This is a great time for some young enterprising individual to get off their ass and take this product and run with it. There are others out there but not quite what this company offered. Clearly the people who started this had a great idea and frankly they f'ed up. If they did receive so many orders that they had to outsource the manufacturing then why wasn't this something they started three weeks ago? You don't sell a product then decide you're going to outsource it before you even ship the first one. Someone's business plan (or lack thereof) failed!

Munich
Feb 23, 2008, 02:35 PM
I did not see this thread before and I have purchased one last Thursday. Bummer, hope they ship it. That envelope is so discrete.

uber gorilla
Feb 23, 2008, 09:41 PM
Sorry everyone, I just have to vent for a second.

It's been far too long, they really should have shipped the AirMail sleeves by now... I actually NEED mine very soon (university kicks off again on 3rd March) and the folks at Manilamac.com said shipping would happen in the week of the 18th...which came and went. F'n 'ell. And the bums have got my money, so they really should get their act together.

MacRumorUser
Feb 24, 2008, 05:19 PM
Well has everyone noticed that it now says
http://www.manilamac.com/detail-delay-18.gif

So not even a date anymore :o just....... soon....... :(

Also doing a google search for manilamac actually brings this thread as the number 1 result.

Jona
Feb 24, 2008, 07:26 PM
Hey, hey, hey everybody! It sure is something to find a thread here all about our company, Manila Mac. We've made it to the big time!

I'm here to address some of your concerns and bust some myths about our AirMail sleeve.

First of all, we're not scammers (wow, really?), nor are we planning on backing out of this insane venture (mbaman77, where'd you hear that?). We've put in far too much time, stress, and cold hard cash to back out now. Also, that's totally not our style.

We aren't exactly hippies, but we are from Oregon! We have been told that we smell "awesome," and we don't listen to Phish (no judging). :)

MacRumourUser is right, the super frustrating delays in the shipping of the AirMail sleeve are due to the fact that we are now working with a manufacturer. Seriously, we were expecting to sell 100 of these sleeves, tops, if any, so when our number of orders started climbing into the thousands, we needed to change tacks in a serious way -- our original plan of hand-making each sleeve from our house in Marfa, Texas had to be majorly rewritten. You can learn more about us being here in Texas here: (http://www.teamyacht.com/archives/000296.html)

In retrospect, we should have lined up a manufacturer right from the beginning, but we had zero anticipation of the media blitz which would (happily) befall us. In any case, we tried our darndest to hire out seamstress friends to help us, but it was nearly impossible to make it work logistically. Turns out buying hundreds of yards of vinyl is complicated. Luckily, we got a call from Incipio technologies (http://www.myincipio.com/) offering to help us manufacture the AirMails. We'd never heard of them, but they've been making cell phone and computer accessories for a long time, and they've been incredibly helpful.

Of course, the process getting everything together for manufacturing took way longer than we wanted -- choosing fabrics, making prototypes, sourcing materials -- but we got it going as quickly as we could. We're 100% ready to go on our end: we've made packaging, stickers, ordered tons of Priority Mail envelopes from USPS, lined up domestic and international resellers, and even bought UPC codes! The first batch of AirMails have been manufactured now and FedExed to us, so we're literally just waiting on that. Hopefully, we'll get them in the next few days and we can go into a wild shipping blitz.

It's been a totally wild ride, especially for two people who've never sold anything except music and some random stuff on eBay. We try to answer every email personally and keep everyone posted, and I'm sorry if we've accidentally neglected to communicate with any of you. It's been a full-time job just keeping on top of the emails!

In any case, thanks for caring, and being nice. Some people we've dealt with have been less than considerate of our situation, so we really appreciate you guys and your openness.

We'll be lurking around here for a while, so if you have any questions, feel free to post away. And you can always email us at info@manilamac.com

Thanks!

Love,
Jona & Claire

Flyer0815
Feb 24, 2008, 07:30 PM
The manufacturer's response seems very honest and reasonable.... Who could have anticipated the response they have gotten.

It was very cool of them to address the issue openly. I might place an order for one now :)

Jona
Feb 24, 2008, 07:33 PM
Oh, also, sorry about PayPal charing your credit card before you have your sleeve!

WE HATE PAYPAL. I mean, they are definitely the fastest, easiest, and one of the most competitive credit card processors, but their customer service is horrible.

There isn't any infrastructure for pre-orders with PayPal, you can only accept payments right then and there, that's it. We'll make sure we let them know that this isn't cool.

queshy
Feb 24, 2008, 08:40 PM
So if someone orders one now when can they expect to receive one?

Zorn
Feb 24, 2008, 09:28 PM
So if someone orders one now when can they expect to receive one?

I'd like to know this too

CanadaRAM
Feb 24, 2008, 09:45 PM
But of course, words are cheap, and we have heard it all before here on MR from mix it for me dot com and iphonesnow dot ca and lots of other operations that turned out in the end to be scams. A nicely written reassurance from the seller does not provide proof one way or another.

It is poor, poor business practice to accept money knowing you do not have the wherewithal to fulfill the orders. Period. That remains a fact whether the goods arrive eventually or not.

And the correct response is NOT to keep saying "Oh, it'll be next week, fer sure" "We'll be shipping on Tuesday" or whatever -- especially when the proprietors DO NOT KNOW with any certainty when the product will arrive.

The correct response is to refund all of the purchases, and resubmit them when product is ready to ship. The fact that this was not done speaks volumes.

clayj
Feb 24, 2008, 09:51 PM
The correct response is to refund all of the purchases, and resubmit them when product is ready to ship. The fact that this was not done speaks volumes.I agree completely. I was one of the first to order one of these (and probably one of the first to request a refund, which I received almost instantly), and it was rather disappointing to not have a sleeve within a reasonable amount of time. I still don't think Jona and Claire are scammers, but once it became obvious that they were not going to be able to meet demand within a reasonable time, they should have stopped taking orders and started taking reservations.

The AirMail is a great idea; it just would have been nice if they'd floated the idea and then started producing units before taking any actual orders.

GoCubsGo
Feb 24, 2008, 10:02 PM
Hey, hey, hey everybody! It sure is something to find a thread here all about our company, Manila Mac. We've made it to the big time!

I'm not entirely sure that you should consider it a good thing that this thread is even here. I'm also not entirely on board with the idea that in order to make it big you had to essentially back your little operation with funds from customers who have yet to receive a product.

I am certain you're going to ship a product on some unspecified date. I wouldn't even jump to the conclusion that you're scammers. I would say with a certain level of confidence that you are bad business people.

While your ability to at least communicate with your customers on some level is admirable, I think to CanadaRAM's point it may be high time to refund some money and allow customers to resubmit an order once your company is truly ready.

Koodauw
Feb 24, 2008, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to judge here. These owners simply miss judged the demand for these things, and now are scrambling to make up for that. This being their first venture into selling things themselves, its understandable IMO. They still respond to everyones email personally, and a refund is offered to any one who wants it! As a consumer this is the type I would want to buy from, even if it means waiting. Good things come to those who wait. Has everything been perfect and rosy? No, but give them a chance.

MacRumorUser
Feb 25, 2008, 03:23 AM

I'm here to address some of your concerns and bust some myths about our AirMail sleeve.

First of all, we're not scammers (wow, really?), nor are we planning on backing out of this insane venture (mbaman77, where'd you hear that?). We've put in far too much time, stress, and cold hard cash to back out now. Also, that's totally not our style.

We aren't exactly hippies, but we are from Oregon! We have been told that we smell "awesome," and we don't listen to Phish (no judging). :)

MacRumourUser is right, the super frustrating delays in the shipping of the AirMail sleeve are due to the fact that we are now working with a manufacturer.

Thank you Jona for your response. I really appreciate your honesty and its nice to know I was right ;):) But really in all honesty - it was the only obvious way that you would be able to cope with such an influx of orders would be to outsource the manufacture.

I look forward as many other do to receiving our manilamac covers and wish you all the best and success to yourself and Claire in the venture.

Kind Regards

Phil (MacRumorUser)

Sandy Santra
Feb 25, 2008, 09:32 AM
Post #56 does not inspire confidence. The lengthy quasi-friendly verbiage and endless litany of excuses is a great smoke screen for their inability to deliver product. This company has some of the shoddiest business practices I have ever seen. I figure my money is long gone and they have already purchased an island in the South Pacific.

clayj
Feb 25, 2008, 09:40 AM
Post #56 does not inspire confidence. The lengthy quasi-friendly verbiage and endless litany of excuses is a great smoke screen for their inability to deliver product. This company has some of the shoddiest business practices I have ever seen. I figure my money is long gone and they have already purchased an island in the South Pacific.Ask 'em for a refund. I did, a couple of weeks ago, and I received my money back instantly.

I'm not defending their business practices. But so far they've not shown me any evidence of being evil... just in way, way over their heads.

sooshi
Feb 25, 2008, 12:07 PM
Today, I slipped in the snow and dented not only my ego, but my macbookair pretty badly. Again. I am so mad. I should be asking for compensation from manillamac for the dents because I ordered the casing 3 weeks ago. :mad::mad::mad:

dahcheet
Feb 25, 2008, 12:14 PM
Today, I slipped in the snow and dented not only my ego, but my macbookair pretty badly. Again. I am so mad. I should be asking for compensation from manillamac for the dents because I ordered the casing 3 weeks ago. :mad::mad::mad:

Not this crap again. I hope to God you're not serious about your last comment. Yes, it sucks they haven't shipped out the sleeves, but would it have helped? It's not a super-hard protective cover. It's fleece and vinyl. It probably wouldn't have helped enough to stop it from denting. It sucks you fell and dented your MBA but it's not ManillaMac's fault for you slipping.

sooshi
Feb 25, 2008, 12:18 PM
Not this crap again. I hope to God you're not serious about your last comment. Yes, it sucks they haven't shipped out the sleeves, but would it have helped? It's not a super-hard protective cover. It's fleece and vinyl. It probably wouldn't have helped enough to stop it from denting. It sucks you fell and dented your MBA but it's not ManillaMac's fault for you slipping.

AirMail laptop cases are lined with thick fleece, which will protect your laptop from any cosmetic damage and smudges, and keep it safe from bumps in daily use.

I understand that it's not a super-hard protective cover but YES, it would have helped. Severely. And I sew from time to time. Thick fleece would have helped. A lot. Unless of course, they're lying about the thick fleece part.

zachinglis
Feb 25, 2008, 12:23 PM
Put simply, if you fell from a height, would you rather be wearing a 1 metre thick fleece or nothing?

clayj
Feb 25, 2008, 12:27 PM
I understand that it's not a super-hard protective cover but YES, it would have helped. Severely.Sorry, no. I canceled my order with them precisely because I was tired of waiting for a case, and I wanted to take my MBA out of the house. Once I canceled my order, I went to the Apple Store and bought a case that provides some amount of protection from scratches and the like. But even so, I would never expect the maker of a case to be responsible for damages to my computer UNLESS the case itself caused the damage due to faulty design.

You cannot possibly be serious that you denting your case is their fault because they didn't ship it to you as quickly as you wanted. If you were concerned about the safety of your MBA, you should have left it on your desk, like I did, until you obtained a case. And even then, you'd still have virtually no argument for them being responsible; the case is intended to provide SOME protection, not ABSOLUTE protection.

PS: "Daily use" does not include dropping your MBA any considerable distance or falling on it.

sooshi
Feb 25, 2008, 12:37 PM
Sorry, no. I canceled my order with them precisely because I was tired of waiting for a case, and I wanted to take my MBA out of the house. Once I canceled my order, I went to the Apple Store and bought a case that provides some amount of protection from scratches and the like. But even so, I would never expect the maker of a case to be responsible for damages to my computer UNLESS the case itself caused the damage due to faulty design.

You cannot possibly be serious that you denting your case is their fault because they didn't ship it to you as quickly as you wanted. If you were concerned about the safety of your MBA, you should have left it on your desk, like I did, until you obtained a case. And even then, you'd still have virtually no argument for them being responsible; the case is intended to provide SOME protection, not ABSOLUTE protection.

PS: "Daily use" does not include dropping your MBA any considerable distance or falling on it.

I know, I was just venting but no, I was not serious. I am pissed, however. The reason I took my computer out is because I have to. I'm student and I chose the MBA for a reason. I guess I'm not as patient or lovable as you are. But I do what I have to.

I didn't fall on it, I fell, I just happened to have it to my bag. But thank you for your insight.

clayj
Feb 25, 2008, 12:42 PM
The reason I took my computer out is because I have to. I guess I'm not as patient or lovable as you are.I'm not patient, either; hence my cancellation of my AirMail order and acquisition of a suitable case directly from Apple (the Incase MacBook case fits the MBA loosely and it's not in any way a "hard" case, but it's probably as good as the AirMail would be) so that I could take my MBA outside.

And no one is as lovable as I am.

dahcheet
Feb 25, 2008, 02:17 PM
AirMail laptop cases are lined with thick fleece, which will protect your laptop from any cosmetic damage and smudges, and keep it safe from bumps in daily use.

I understand that it's not a super-hard protective cover but YES, it would have helped. Severely. And I sew from time to time. Thick fleece would have helped. A lot. Unless of course, they're lying about the thick fleece part.

I think your idea of "bumps in daily use" is much more extreme than what the manufacturer is expecting. Dropping your laptop from ANY height cannot be considered daily use. So, even if you had the sleeve it probably wouldn't have protected it enough to NOT get damaged. It may have lessened the damage, but not completely prevented it.

Put simply, if you fell from a height, would you rather be wearing a 1 metre thick fleece or nothing?

Again, falling from ANY height is not a part of my daily routine and the idea of wearing a metre thick fleece is ridiculous. In no way is that comparable to any sleeve on any computer unless you wrap your computer in two pillows whenever you carry it around.

sooshi
Feb 25, 2008, 03:04 PM
I think your idea of "bumps in daily use" is much more extreme than what the manufacturer is expecting. Dropping your laptop from ANY height cannot be considered daily use. So, even if you had the sleeve it probably wouldn't have protected it enough to NOT get damaged. It may have lessened the damage, but not completely prevented it.

That is the thing, I didn't drop it. It was a dent that could be prevented by having the sleeve. If anything, I had my ipod in my hand and literally smashed it into the ground and it was fine. My bag landed on my lap.

grimslade
Feb 25, 2008, 03:14 PM
I'm not entirely sure that you should consider it a good thing that this thread is even here. I'm also not entirely on board with the idea that in order to make it big you had to essentially back your little operation with funds from customers who have yet to receive a product.

I am certain you're going to ship a product on some unspecified date. I wouldn't even jump to the conclusion that you're scammers. I would say with a certain level of confidence that you are bad business people.

While your ability to at least communicate with your customers on some level is admirable, I think to CanadaRAM's point it may be high time to refund some money and allow customers to resubmit an order once your company is truly ready.

While Jona didn't mention it, as others have noted, refunds seem available for anyone unhappy with the delay. Me, I'd rather not get a refund, since I'd llike to receive the product as soon as they become available. Anyone who wants a refund should go ahead and ask for one, rather than insisting unreasonably that everyone's money be sent back whether they've asked for it (or want it back) or not.

Did they use the pre-orders as seed money for the business? Probably. If that's problematic for you, get your share back. And chill a bit.

How's that for a flame-inducing first post? I have no affiliation with ManilaMac other than being an expectant customer.

Sandy Santra
Feb 25, 2008, 04:51 PM
Ask 'em for a refund. I did, a couple of weeks ago, and I received my money back instantly.

I'm not defending their business practices. But so far they've not shown me any evidence of being evil... just in way, way over their heads.

They sent me an email today saying "We're refunding your money right now."

We'll see.

GoCubsGo
Feb 25, 2008, 05:08 PM
Really now? Because I have it on good authority that sleeve or no sleeve that kind of fall could have caused some sort of damage. Holding them responsible for you not buying a case while waiting for this one or doing what others apparently are doing and not taking it outdoors until you get a case hardly seems appropriate.

That is the thing, I didn't drop it. It was a dent that could be prevented by having the sleeve. If anything, I had my ipod in my hand and literally smashed it into the ground and it was fine. My bag landed on my lap.
I'd like to see a real-world test with the sleeve. While it offers some protection, depending upon the fall I doubt it is 100% damage-proof.
While Jona didn't mention it, as others have noted, refunds seem available for anyone unhappy with the delay. Me, I'd rather not get a refund, since I'd llike to receive the product as soon as they become available. Anyone who wants a refund should go ahead and ask for one, rather than insisting unreasonably that everyone's money be sent back whether they've asked for it (or want it back) or not.

Did they use the pre-orders as seed money for the business? Probably. If that's problematic for you, get your share back. And chill a bit.

How's that for a flame-inducing first post? I have no affiliation with ManilaMac other than being an expectant customer.
I totally believe they're approving refunds. I didn't want it to sound like that. I meant the refunds should have been completed without the request. I don't think they're shady, I think they're disorganized. I'm hardly upset. I think with a quick review of some of my posts outside this forum you can tell what really urks me and what really doesn't. Somehow I became interested in this thread and I've since opted to return. That's all. No one needs to chill here. :D

I do hope everyone gets their cases before the end of the month. It doesn't sound like it'll happen, but it'd be nice right? I'm glad users have found alternative cases and those who have not just need a reason to complain. Again they have a great vision but poor execution and their post about making it big seemed a bit insulting you know?

uber gorilla
Feb 26, 2008, 04:04 AM
I do hope everyone gets their cases before the end of the month. It doesn't sound like it'll happen, but it'd be nice right? I'm glad users have found alternative cases and those who have not just need a reason to complain. Again they have a great vision but poor execution and their post about making it big seemed a bit insulting you know?

Argh, when are the AirMail sleeves gonna arrive? This is almost like an horrific repeat of the 3.5 week wait for my MBA...

What ever happened to good business practice in this world? And isn't this modern day and age supposed to be more efficient?

Oh, lament lament lament...

stsanford
Feb 26, 2008, 11:16 AM
In response to the lot of "Worst business people ever.." rants: Oh, c'mon. Did they bite off more than they could chew? Absolutely. Worst ever, my gosh, if you think so, you're blessed. I'm from New York and this dynamic duo, while seemingly incompetent, is a breath of fresh air. They strike me as two kids who just didn't think of all the logistics involved. They're learning on us, so we're kind of their Beta Testers. <VBG>

There's a reason most businesses fail. I know, I run one, it's not easy, and the ones that make it look so easy are just exceptional at what they do. It's hard, work, and I don't think they were prepared for it.

I for one was happy to see a coherent response posted here. I would have much rather had even a templated form-mail response in my inbox, but I'll take the post here. I had my suspicions that they took our funds and bought a really huge lot of pot with it.... ;-)

Just my opinion, it's free which is about all it's worth...

Zorn
Feb 26, 2008, 11:16 AM
I'm waiting to hear reports from the guinea pigs on this one, but if the case is actually as high quality as it looks in the photos I'll be ordering one myself. I do sincerely accept their explanation of being completely overwhelmed with orders here, this thing was featured on just about every tech blog around when they announced it. Two people working from home very likely had no way to anticipate they would spawn thousands of orders.

Edit: Also, I emailed them a question a week or so ago and got a personal response from Jona within hours. That's more than I can say for many businesses that are content to send you a form letter a few days later.

MacRumorUser
Feb 26, 2008, 03:35 PM

Good first post and tbh I utterly agree with you.

CanadaRAM
Feb 27, 2008, 10:27 AM
One point that early orderers should not lose sight of is that the deadline for filing a PayPal chargeback is 45 days. If you let it go 46 days and product is not delivered, you are out of luck getting PayPal to follow up.

As has happened in the past, IF a seller is intent on fraud, they only need to keep issuing promises and assurances long enough to get the payments past day 46.

If you funded the PayPal account with a charge card, you may have extra leverage, as charge cards typically allow claims to be filed up to 6 months. However, charge card banks have also taken the position that the transaction is between them and PayPal, not between them and the seller.

I recommend that on any delayed delivery transaction, people near the 40 day mark ask for a seller refund automatically, and if one is not received (not just promised), file a chargeback on day 44. The chargeback can always be cancelled if the product shows. And it should be easy as pie for the seller to contact you when the product is in hand and ready to ship, and offer it for re-purchase at that time.

Sandy Santra
Feb 27, 2008, 11:03 AM
They refunded my money. The refund hit PayPal pretty quickly (a day or less) after they notified me that they were issuing me a refund.

mcvaughan
Feb 27, 2008, 11:46 AM
I just ordered one. I can wait.

Chad H
Feb 27, 2008, 04:01 PM
I'm not getting a refund. I want my product. I would just like a time frame. Maybe a set date even if it is March 20th or something. Just a date. :(

Hansii
Feb 27, 2008, 04:29 PM
I can't believe how rude and suspicious people on this forum are sometimes, Jona comes on here and posts a long and personal explanation of why the ManilaMac is delayed and people still attack him. I get that you expected to receive the product earlier, but they never guaranteed any delivery date and this is a small two man operation (something they have said openly from the beginning, have some understanding of their situation, I am sure they are doing everything they can to get the product shipped. And I can't wait to receive mine!

MacRumorUser
Feb 27, 2008, 04:33 PM
I can't believe how rude and suspicious people on this forum are sometimes, Jona comes on here and posts a long and personal explanation of why the ManilaMac is delayed and people still attack him. I get that you expected to receive the product earlier, but they never guaranteed any delivery date and this is a small two man operation (something they have said openly from the beginning, have some understanding of their situation, I am sure they are doing everything they can to get the product shipped. And I can't wait to receive mine!

Agree with you too. I can easily imagine being in a similar situation to them, and they have refunded everyone who has asked for such promptly and without any qualms.

I'm really looking forward to getting my case :)

Chad H
Feb 27, 2008, 04:42 PM
I never once attacked them or said anything about a delayed refund. I just feel that the product should have been delivered by now. Thats all. Now, with that said, I'm going to wait. I really want one of these cases. The one thing I have faith in is Jonah is making sure the quality is top notch and these cases will stun his customers. :)

junglebutterfly
Feb 27, 2008, 09:40 PM
This is my first time here

I ordered air mail on feb 7 and have not recieved it yet.
I sent an angry email to them for not having any communication with me all this time I have been waiting. I never got a single email explaining the delay i was sitting here sad when it didnt come after the 3 business days. Then I kept checking back to the site and i saw the will ship the week of the 18th then i saw the will ship soon. thats when i sent the angry email. I checked my paypal and saw it went through on there like the 8th or 9th of feb then i got my cc statement this week and the money is gone so I know they got it. Am I the only person that never got any communication from these people?? I havent even gotten a reply to the email i sent them. Im getting really sick of this.

dahcheet
Feb 27, 2008, 10:28 PM
This is my first time here

I ordered air mail on feb 7 and have not recieved it yet.
I sent an angry email to them for not having any communication with me all this time I have been waiting. I never got a single email explaining the delay i was sitting here sad when it didnt come after the 3 business days. Then I kept checking back to the site and i saw the will ship the week of the 18th then i saw the will ship soon. thats when i sent the angry email. I checked my paypal and saw it went through on there like the 8th or 9th of feb then i got my cc statement this week and the money is gone so I know they got it. Am I the only person that never got any communication from these people?? I havent even gotten a reply to the email i sent them. Im getting really sick of this.

Not to sound pretentious, but if you read through the whole thread you'll see some of the correspondence or a summary of anything we've received from them. For the most part, they've tried to keep us informed of what's going on and have answer a good number of our e-mails promptly and personally.

I'm sorry to hear that you have not received a response. I'm sure if I were in your situation I would be just as mad. If you feel this is a waste of your time and money then might I suggest getting a refund? They are more than willing to return your money to you as they have with others who were not happy with the situation.

Me? I'm going to wait it out. I have a simple sleeve right now that's doing the job and I'm waiting on this and a Fabrix Deluxe Case. Yes, it irks me that both companies are slow on producing and shipping but there has been quite the flux in demand for these. Fabrix was already setup to do mass production so I'm expecting that to show up by the end of the week (hopefully). The AirMail group, however, just didn't realize the amount of demand a product like this would incur. Call it growing pains, if you will. Just think of this as a GIANT growth spurt right at beginning of a new venture.

Varnim
Feb 28, 2008, 06:48 AM
I never got the first mail that some of you got that it was going to be delayed. Then I mailed them last weekend and asked them if it was shipped yet, if not I would like a refund because I need to have a sleeve now. So far no reply on that either.

random person
Feb 28, 2008, 08:00 AM
Well I too ordered one of these, also sent an email, and have not received a reply.

I actually think timbuk2 is going to beat them to it anyway with the "Steve Sleeve." Looks fabulous!

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/cms/macbookair/macbookair.htm?gclid=CJ-9462D55ECFQVylgodEWr1fw#3

This is the one I'll probably end up with. (I currently have the Waterfield sleeve but it adds almost a pound to the weight of the Air! Not what I'm looking to do on an ongoing basis.)

junglebutterfly
Feb 28, 2008, 10:22 AM
Not to sound pretentious, but if you read through the whole thread you'll see some of the correspondence or a summary of anything we've received from them. For the most part, they've tried to keep us informed of what's going on and have answer a good number of our e-mails promptly and personally.

I'm sorry to hear that you have not received a response. I'm sure if I were in your situation I would be just as mad. If you feel this is a waste of your time and money then might I suggest getting a refund? They are more than willing to return your money to you as they have with others who were not happy with the situation.

Me? I'm going to wait it out. I have a simple sleeve right now that's doing the job and I'm waiting on this and a Fabrix Deluxe Case. Yes, it irks me that both companies are slow on producing and shipping but there has been quite the flux in demand for these. Fabrix was already setup to do mass production so I'm expecting that to show up by the end of the week (hopefully). The AirMail group, however, just didn't realize the amount of demand a product like this would incur. Call it growing pains, if you will. Just think of this as a GIANT growth spurt right at beginning of a new venture.

I did read the entire thread thats why I am upset it sounds like most of the people on the thread have gotten responses from them both unsolicited and also responses to their questions. I have not recieved anything and thats why I am so frustrated. I want to wait on the air mail because I like it a lot. I am not in a desparate situation like some people seem to be saying. I have a mondo James bond style ransom money holding foam lined hard case that I can strap my MBA into. I'm pretty sure you could back over it and it would be fine. I just think it is very unprofessional to not let the customer know whats happening. if they cant reply to all the complaints or questions they are getting they could at least put a new page up on their site explaining it for the customers that are revisiting with questions or whatever.

Sandy Santra
Feb 28, 2008, 10:49 AM
Jona comes on here and posts a long and personal explanation of why the ManilaMac is delayed and people still attack him

And that's exactly why: these are business transaction issues; we don't want or have time for "long and personal explanations."

The fact that they are "only" a 2-person business entity is no excuse for them not studying, learning, and adopting smart business practices. They should be living and breathing BPI (business process improvement) and PM (project management) principles by now.

If the Moca Grande you receive at Starbucks has a foreign object in it, you don't want to hear a 3-minute explanation from the barrista of all the events leading up to (and repercussions resultant from) various employee mishaps that eventually lead to you receive a tainted beverage. You want a one-word response (preferably "OK") and a refund.

Jona
Feb 28, 2008, 03:23 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3242/2299073122_49a85b305d.jpg

The sleeves are here and we're in full-blown shipping mode. Thanks for your patience, guys.

NOT A SCAM!

Love,
Jona & Claire

dahcheet
Feb 28, 2008, 03:29 PM
The sleeves are here and we're in full-blown shipping mode. Thanks for your patience, guys.

NOT A SCAM!

Love,
Jona & Claire

Woo hoo!! I wonder where mine is in the queue :confused: Ordered Jan 17th :eek:

Can't wait to get it! :D

MacRumorUser
Feb 28, 2008, 03:37 PM
[SNIP!]

NOT A SCAM!

Love,
Jona & Claire

CONGRATULATIONS GUYS!!! Fantastic stuff. Can't wait to get mine.

Many thanks Jona & Claire for posting in this thread, despite the hostility some harbor (mainly from frustration) - others like myself had faith things would sort themselves out for you in the end.

I'm delighted it's come together and you can start shipping them :)

Big thumbs up.

weeman
Feb 28, 2008, 04:35 PM
[SNIP!]

NOT A SCAM!

Love,
Jona & Claire

Freakin stoked I waited this one out instead of cancelled. From what I see, those sleeves look awesome!

clayj
Feb 28, 2008, 04:56 PM
Heh. Claire seems to have a "get that $^%#^@! camera out of my face" look on her face... :p

But good to see that they are finally shipping. I knew it wasn't a scam... I just couldn't wait any longer for a case.

Jona
Feb 28, 2008, 06:20 PM
Hurrah! Thanks for your support. The sleeves look GREAT, and we're proud as punch to be sending out such a great little product.

Back to printing out postage...

weeman
Feb 28, 2008, 06:33 PM
Any chance you can take some pictures of the finished sleeve and post on here?:D

Eric Lewis
Feb 28, 2008, 06:34 PM
this is a scam

dont trust these shady people

Munich
Feb 28, 2008, 08:40 PM
Is this a scam or not? Please tell me that picture isn't photoshopped. I want that sleeve badly.
:rolleyes:

Chad H
Feb 28, 2008, 08:57 PM
What was the reason for that post? If you have evidence these people are scammers then show it? I admit I have been on their back but to make a bold statement with no proof is wrong. On a side note, anybody know when these will be reaching our doorsteps?

whateverandever
Feb 28, 2008, 09:14 PM
this is a scam

You work at Best Buy.
You work for shady people.

Zip it.

maestrokev
Feb 28, 2008, 09:20 PM
I was wondering the same thing about this guy. I took a look at the sleeve the first time he posted but I wasn't digging the zipper. I don't know if anyone else has ordered one of these and what the deal is with them. I'm just patiently waiting for my AirMail now. :D:D:D

Good to see I'm not the only one suspicious :)

Like many of you I've owned many laptop bags and generally I'm cautious of zippers. They're more secure but if they don't have a well designed liner underneath the zipper will scratch the laptop case over a few uses.

maestrokev
Feb 28, 2008, 09:22 PM
You work at Best Buy.
You work for shady people.

Zip it.

Work at Best Buy? Hmm, maybe this is Chuck Bartowski (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0934814/) and he flashed on something we don't know!

MacRumorUser
Feb 29, 2008, 04:35 AM
this is a scam

:rolleyes: Words fail me. Either you are joking and forgot to put the ;) or your being serious and that leaves me :confused:

davidjearly
Feb 29, 2008, 04:48 AM
this is a scam

I really hope you are being sarcastic. :confused:

dahcheet
Feb 29, 2008, 05:46 AM
Woo hoo!! I wonder where mine is in the queue :confused: Ordered Jan 17th :eek:

Can't wait to get it! :D

Apparently I was pretty high in the queue. I got my PayPal e-mail about shipment this morning at 3AM EST. Can't wait till MONDAY! :D:D:D:D:D

kens411
Feb 29, 2008, 07:06 AM
Jona emailed me after hours last night. Apparently, when ordering I entered the wrong address number. Jona emailed me and asking me to double check. I did and not it's on it's way. The number of times big, supposedly well run companies have dropped the ball, never communicating is a mile long. I could start with the delays, without updates that many of us who pre-ordered the Air experienced.

My 2 cents.

I would have loved to have it in my hands when my Air arrived. I'm just as excited about getting in my hands as I am that two young people can have a flash of inspiration, create a cool product and in 4 weeks or so, begin to deliver the product. It's an amazing story....only in America. So what if it's a little late, all I had a risk was a few dollars...nothing to get all anxious about.

Way to go Jona and Claire....I appreciate your moxie.

Rock on.

random person
Feb 29, 2008, 08:17 AM
oooooooo I can't wait for mine! My sf/waterfield sleeve is great but frankly too thick and heavy for my tastes. And, I'm loving the look of the timbuk2 "steve sleeve" but don't want to wait around for it.

Will we all receive shipping notification once shipped???
I've heard nothing at all!!!

dahcheet
Feb 29, 2008, 08:26 AM
oooooooo I can't wait for mine! My sf/waterfield sleeve is great but frankly too thick and heavy for my tastes. And, I'm loving the look of the timbuk2 "steve sleeve" but don't want to wait around for it.

Will we all receive shipping notification once shipped???
I've heard nothing at all!!!

The e-mail I got was from PayPal. When they print the shipping label from PayPal it'll send you an e-mail saying they're preparing to ship. I wonder how many orders they have to fill.... I'm thinking it's quite a few and that it might take some time depending on when you placed your order. I can't give you an kind of gauge to go off of though.

grimslade
Feb 29, 2008, 09:57 AM
The interoffice mac zipper is a deal-killer for me. I don't need teeth marks on my MBA. It would also be nice to find even one real person who has seen/purchased one.

Jona
Feb 29, 2008, 09:59 AM
Hey guys,

There's a lot of orders to work through, and each one has a crazy amount of personal touches, but we're making awesome time. We shipped hundreds yesterday!

dahcheet is right, we're going chronologically starting with the first orders placed in January. The second we print shipping for yours, you should get an email.

Best,
Claire & Jona

clayj
Feb 29, 2008, 12:34 PM
Oh, whattheheck.

I just went ahead and reordered one... it was pretty cool when I first ordered it and it's still pretty cool now.

dahcheet
Feb 29, 2008, 12:49 PM
Oh, whattheheck.

I just went ahead and reordered one... it was pretty cool when I first ordered it and it's still pretty cool now.

Welcome back to the cool kids group ;):D

I like how the flames went from Jona and Claire to Rumorman93. I wonder if he's just trolling for the sleeve or if he's an actual user with questions and concerns.

clayj
Feb 29, 2008, 12:56 PM
Welcome back to the cool kids group ;):DHeh. I was never out of the cool kids group. :cool:

But a word of advice to Jona and Claire and anyone else who comes up with a really, really cool idea for a product, especially on the heels of a Stevenote, and then decides to market a new product: Please announce your product, take reservations and gauge the level of interest, get your supply chain moving, and then take money from your customers. There are a lot of folks (and many of them have chimed in on this thread) who don't appreciate having their money taken from them and then not getting product for a month. It doesn't matter how well-meaning your intentions are... business is business. Personally, my only real complaint is having to wait a long time... but ultimately it didn't do me any harm.

weeman
Feb 29, 2008, 09:49 PM
I ordered mine on Jan 21st and still no confirmation for me:confused:
I want mine now!:(

When did you guys order and has yours shipped yet???

dahcheet
Feb 29, 2008, 11:03 PM
I ordered mine on Jan 21st and still no confirmation for me:confused:
I want mine now!:(

When did you guys order and has yours shipped yet???

I might be the earliest one with a Jan 17th order date. Got my shipping notice Thursday (2/28) morning.

KT MONEY
Feb 29, 2008, 11:08 PM
i think this is so cool! haha
however i didnt' buy one
it being "homemade" sort of speak i was very iffy about it

i only wish belkin or Apple make one hehe

they do, that is belkin. they make leather/neoprene sleeves for the mba, not envelopes but just thought u might want 2 kno

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?Section_Id=206460

onesixeight
Mar 1, 2008, 06:16 AM
SUPER TWO THUMBS UP to Jona and Claire!!!

I support you guys 100%! I don't know what's up with all the negativity. :(

Their customer service is better than a lot of bigger guys out there. Do you see official apple reps coming out and giving us updates on our Air orders...NOPE. Yet these two are posting updates and personally answering emails. :D

Thanks again and I can't wait to get mine.

BTW, yours still looks the best! forget the copies...get the real thing!

illutionz
Mar 1, 2008, 07:21 AM
this is a scam

Said someone who work at Best Buy with their "infamous" protection plan...

Just wondering, is this you?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WALIARHHLII

;)

PS: I'm just playin'... Hopefully you were joking or being sarcastic in your earlier comment as well...

jameskohn
Mar 2, 2008, 11:15 AM
The interoffice mac zipper is a deal-killer for me. I don't need teeth marks on my MBA. It would also be nice to find even one real person who has seen/purchased one.

I purchased one: ordered on Thursday, shipped on Friday, should arrive tomorrow or Tuesday. I think the ManillaMac looks really cool. I opted for the InterOfficeMac ( http://www.interofficemac.com/ ) because it looks to me like it offers more actual protection for the MBA, and I didn't think that dealing with the little string closure was going to be a good solution in the longer term. I am assured by the owner, who does return emails promptly by the way, that the product fits like a glove, offers good protection, and that the zipper will not come in contact with the laptop.

All in all, while I do wish Jonah & Claire all the best, the InterOfficeMac just seemed more substantial & functional while ManillaMac looked more like a gimmick. We'll all know for sure soon enough.

bence8810
Mar 2, 2008, 03:19 PM
Hi

I ordered mine on the 16th of February, I guess I am way down in the queue, but I am still going to wait it out. I always like the original ideas, and its sickening to see how much this other product copies the AirMail, their site, product, and all.

Hope someone gets the AirMail by post tomorrow and post up some pictures, would like to see how the MacBook Air fits in the sleeve,

Cheers
Ben

uber gorilla
Mar 3, 2008, 05:34 AM
Yeah, I ordered mine early February and was almost swayed by the Dark Side of the Force (aka the interoffice sleeve), but I remembered the wise words of Qui-Gon Jinn: "trust your instincts". In other words, trust Jona and Claire. :)

May the Force be with us all (esp. the Star Wars geeks out there; I salute you!)

ProstheticHead
Mar 3, 2008, 05:50 AM
It's a unique concept, yet a retarded product.

The people making the cases had the right idea, but didn't plan correctly on how to produce it. Hand-making all of these by two people is really, really idiotic.

The music the guy makes is mediocore, at best. In case anyone cares. :P

clayj
Mar 3, 2008, 06:51 AM
Well, I RE-ordered mine on Friday 2/29, and late last night (early 3/3) I received a shipping notification. So either they're getting caught up very quickly, or they saw that I had re-ordered (I was one of the first to order) and they bumped me to the head of the queue.

dahcheet
Mar 3, 2008, 07:00 AM

The people making the cases had the right idea, but didn't plan correctly on how to produce it. Hand-making all of these by two people is really, really idiotic.

They're not hand making them any more. The reason for the delay in release is that they were looking for ways of mass manufacturing them. Read up on an issue before you comment.

And the music they make has absolutely no impact on a computer sleeve. Quit trolling.

cgdotcom
Mar 3, 2008, 09:01 AM
I'm just as excited about getting in my hands as I am that two young people can have a flash of inspiration, create a cool product and in 4 weeks or so, begin to deliver the product. It's an amazing story....only in America.

Ah, c'mon! Look, I don't want to sidetrack this topic, and I totally agree with you that this looks like an inspired product and a great little start-up... but "only in America"?

Believe it or not, people in Europe and elsewhere are equally capable of "having ideas", "producing products" and "selling things on the internet". Full credit to the guys for this one, but can we agree to admire the AirMail sleeve as a fine example of human creativity? ;)

dahcheet
Mar 3, 2008, 09:04 AM
Ah, c'mon! Look, I don't want to sidetrack this topic, and I totally agree with you that this looks like an inspired product and a great little start-up... but "only in America"?

Believe it or not, people in Europe and elsewhere are equally capable of "having ideas", "producing products" and "selling things on the internet". Full credit to the guys for this one, but can we agree to admire the AirMail sleeve as a fine example of human creativity? ;)

NO! America wins teh internets!! [/sarcasm]

:p

I'm just mad I didn't come up with it myself. I'm hoping mine comes in today. USPS Priority Mail shouldn't take more than a couple days and having an entire weekend it should be here. I will post pics when it comes in.

Cybergypsy
Mar 3, 2008, 09:50 AM

At least they did something, most people don't even try....leave them alone....
I didn't order from them, but you are being a troll.

Sandy Santra
Mar 3, 2008, 10:58 AM
Will anyone who finally receives a manilamac please post a pic? Thanks.

EarthDawn
Mar 3, 2008, 11:03 AM
I'm just mad I didn't come up with it myself. I'm hoping mine comes in today. USPS Priority Mail shouldn't take more than a couple days and having an entire weekend it should be here. I will post pics when it comes in.

Priority sent on friday or sat. should hit any US destination except Hawaii and Alaska by Monday this time of year.

POST pics.... what a great idea ....

junglebutterfly
Mar 3, 2008, 11:22 AM
I am still sitting here waiting and wondering what is going on.
I bought my airmail on Feb 7 and to this day have not heard anything from anyone. I emailed a while ago and requested that someone reply to me and let me know what is going on because I am upset that I had not received any news. Then I waited a while for a response and never got one. Then I emailed them and told them I wanted a refund several days ago. I never got a response to that email and I also never received a refund. I really still do want the sleeve but now I just have no idea what is going on!! I am not happy at all about this whole situation. Has anyone that ordered after me (I ordered Feb 7th) gotten a shipping confirmation or anything??

Chad H
Mar 3, 2008, 12:03 PM
I have yet to get a shipping confirmation too. I ordered one at the start of February.

weeman
Mar 3, 2008, 12:11 PM
I have yet to get a shipping confirmation too. I ordered one at the start of February.

Same here. Except I ordered January 21.

spyz88
Mar 3, 2008, 12:12 PM
I purchased one: ordered on Thursday, shipped on Friday, should arrive tomorrow or Tuesday. I think the ManillaMac looks really cool. I opted for the InterOfficeMac ( http://www.interofficemac.com/ ) because it looks to me like it offers more actual protection for the MBA, and I didn't think that dealing with the little string closure was going to be a good solution in the longer term. I am assured by the owner, who does return emails promptly by the way, that the product fits like a glove, offers good protection, and that the zipper will not come in contact with the laptop.

All in all, while I do wish Jonah & Claire all the best, the InterOfficeMac just seemed more substantial & functional while ManillaMac looked more like a gimmick. We'll all know for sure soon enough.
I know you opted for the InterOfficeMac because it has more protection but look at that zipper. It looks like it will scratch the MBA everytime someone puts it in or takes it out.

Jona
Mar 3, 2008, 12:29 PM
Hey Junglebutterfly! We've tried to email you several times, to no avail.

Do you still want a refund? I've been looking through our PayPal records and I can't find any trace of your order. I've searched by your last name, first name, and email address.

Did you pay for the AirMail sleeve under a different name, or with a different email address? Do you have a transaction ID#?

Any additional information would be hugely helpful for me to get your refund going. Please write us again at info@manilamac.com

kens411
Mar 3, 2008, 12:33 PM

Yep...you're right. That was an "on the run" trite cliche. I'm with you, "creativity" yes...only on planet earth....um, that I'm aware of.

Scotchorama
Mar 3, 2008, 01:10 PM
Finally got it, and it looks super neat! Well done, ManilaMac...

Definitely worth the wait!

:):):)

dahcheet
Mar 3, 2008, 01:11 PM

PICS!!!

weeman
Mar 3, 2008, 01:17 PM

This post is worthless without pics!

Scotchorama
Mar 3, 2008, 01:20 PM
Oh no! No camera with me... Had it sent to my office, and no camera here. It looks just like it does on the manilamac website though. Mustardy... looks pretty much like... a manila envelope...

At least I just want to confirm that it is not a scam...

Scotchorama
Mar 3, 2008, 01:28 PM
Forgot about webcam...

Here they are!

EDIT: first pic has my name blanked out.

dahcheet
Mar 3, 2008, 01:43 PM
Forgot about webcam...

Here they are!

Sweet! Thanks! I can't wait to get mine.

Is that label on there permanent or just a sticker?

(nice rock by the way. lucky girl ;))

bence8810
Mar 3, 2008, 01:48 PM
Forgot about webcam...

Here they are!

That looks great, I mean, I cannot wait for mine.

How does the built quality feel like? Can you post more pics once you get your camera and illustrate how the Air looks half way in, etc?

Thanks again,

Ben

bence8810
Mar 3, 2008, 01:52 PM
Is that label on there permanent or just a sticker?

Looks like a sticker only, as on the 2nd picture its already removed,

The sticker though is only there for show right? It actually came in another envelope I hope :) If the Airmail itself was applied postage on the side of it and mailed, that would be wild ...

Ben

Scotchorama
Mar 3, 2008, 01:53 PM
Label peeled off easily, no residue. Second pic actually has the label off. Very happy with it.

I like my rock almost as much as my Mac! :p

Scotchorama
Mar 3, 2008, 02:09 PM
Stitching is good; padded vinyl is fairly thin but should defintely protect AirBook form dents and scratches. Came with a nice letter. :)

Also came with spare red string and button.

Scotchorama
Mar 3, 2008, 02:14 PM
Shipped in USPS sleeve... with a cute "Hello from Manila Mac" stamp!:)

bence8810
Mar 3, 2008, 02:15 PM
Stitching is good; padded vinyl is fairly thin but should defintely protect AirBook form dents and scratches. Came with a nice letter. :)

Nice touch with the extra string and button. Thanks for the pictures.

Ben

Sandy Santra
Mar 3, 2008, 02:31 PM

Thank you so much for posting pictures!

The fabric actually looks a little too thin for my taste. Now I'm doubly glad I cancelled my order.

For committed buyers, though, I'm really happy that you are finally going to start getting the product.

dahcheet
Mar 3, 2008, 02:33 PM
The fabric actually looks a little too thin for my taste.

It does look a little on the thin side but it makes it less bulky. I'll have to wait for my Fabrix Case to come in also so I can compare the two. Hopefully my Airmail is waiting for me at home though.

felixkunze
Mar 3, 2008, 02:40 PM
I emailed them and got this reply:

Hey Felix,

The sleeves are now in stock, and we started shipping Thursday.

We're working in chronological order, starting with the first orders placed in January. There's a lot of orders, and each one has a great deal of personal touches on it, but we're making awesome time.

A huge batch is going out today, your sleeve included. We use USPS Priority Mail, which takes 3-5 days in the U.S. and 6-10 days internationally. You will receive tracking information to whichever email address is synched up with your PayPal account as soon as yours goes out the door!

Thanks for asking!

Best,
Claire & Jona

As far as I know, they were just a guy and a girl who had this idea. I think the rush of orders somewhat swamped them. But they are pretty good on giving updates so I'm not too worried.

Scotchorama
Mar 3, 2008, 02:48 PM
I agree... it is a little thin. It's not meant to be an external case, more like an internal sleeve, like a manila sleeve you'd carry inside a briefcase. Will carry it around in my case anyway... :)

Cybergypsy
Mar 3, 2008, 02:51 PM
It does look a little on the thin side but it makes it less bulky. I'll have to wait for my Fabrix Case to come in also so I can compare the two. Hopefully my Airmail is waiting for me at home though. I am still waiting let me know

tringo
Mar 3, 2008, 02:51 PM
That looks like hand signed letters! You really do not see that these days.

I wish I had a MacbookAir just so I could buy one of these! hahaha...

good job guys. They definitely deserve a holiday after this.

weeman
Mar 3, 2008, 02:59 PM
I emailed them and got this reply:

Hey Felix,

The sleeves are now in stock, and we started shipping Thursday.

We're working in chronological order, starting with the first orders placed in January. There's a lot of orders, and each one has a great deal of personal touches on it, but we're making awesome time.

A huge batch is going out today, your sleeve included. We use USPS Priority Mail, which takes 3-5 days in the U.S. and 6-10 days internationally. You will receive tracking information to whichever email address is synched up with your PayPal account as soon as yours goes out the door!

Thanks for asking!

Best,
Claire & Jona

As far as I know, they were just a guy and a girl who had this idea. I think the rush of orders somewhat swamped them. But they are pretty good on giving updates so I'm not too worried.

When did you order? I ordered mine on January 21 and still have no shipping confirmation yet. Boo.

felixkunze
Mar 3, 2008, 03:05 PM
When did you order? I ordered mine on January 21 and still have no shipping confirmation yet. Boo.

I ordered a couple of days after Macworld. But I had to ask them for shipping info, they didn't send me an update or anything.

MacRumorUser
Mar 3, 2008, 04:36 PM
My thread and I still haven't recieved shipping notification :(
Congratulations Scotchorama you lucky so and so ;)

NC MacGuy
Mar 3, 2008, 04:45 PM
I haven't read every part of this thread so excuse me if I'm redundant but has anyone received an interoffice mac? If so, how is it? Does the zipper rub? Any pic's?

Thanks in advance.

dahcheet
Mar 3, 2008, 06:27 PM
Tons of pics so I posted them on my photobucket (http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/dahcheet/AirMail/?albumview=slideshow) account. Enjoy!

Below are a couple for a teaser.

My thoughts:
- Pretty thin padding but it's good for sleeve
- Material looks great and pretty sturdy
- Stitching is solid, even on the buttons
- Width (from front of MBA to back of MBA) is 1/4-1/2 too long so there is some slack
- Length (from side to side of MBA) fits like a glove
- Letter and Sticker on AirMail are both hand signed
- Extra Button and String
- The string is tied in a single knot to the button on the flap

More later on. Enjoy the pics.

[Update 1]
Here's what the letter reads:
Good day to you, new AirMail owner!

Thank you so much for your order.

We're not gonna lie to you, it was a hell of a job making these. We never in our wildest dreams would have anticipated the response we'd get to this product. For a while there, it seemed like every damned website on the Internet was plugging the AirMail, and we were getting emails faster than we could even delete them. It was unprecedentedly difficult, stressful, and, above all, thrilling.

We've had to deal with things we'd never dealt with before, let alone heard of. Did you know that anyone can buy a UPC code instantly over the internet? Or that getting your name trademarked is, really, really complicated? Or that address label printers are actually pretty cool? Yeah, neither did we.

Still, we're really grateful for the support of our customers, and for the help of all those people who've offered their two cents along the way We've learned so much in the last month, mostly by trial and error, and we never could have done it without you!

If you have any questions, concerns, idea (or you just to say hello) drop us a line. We want to hear from you (we don't actually delete your emails, dear customers)!

Love,
Jona and Claire

[Update 2]
I didn't realize the picture I took of the sticker has a really bad glare. Here's what that reads:
AirMail(TM) manila envelope notebook sleeve for MacBook Air (TM)
(signatures)
Designed by Jona Bchtolt & Claire L. Evans
http://www.manilamac.com

To:
Michael (That's me!)

What the press are saying:
"In the 'why didn't I think of that' category" - CNET
"Oh, if only we were this clever" -Engadget
"That manila Macbook Aire case is real at last" - Gizmodo

MacRumorUser
Mar 3, 2008, 07:40 PM
I haven't read every part of this thread so excuse me if I'm redundant but has anyone received an interoffice mac? If so, how is it? Does the zipper rub? Any pic's?

Thanks in advance.

You should read some of the later posts ;) There was a revelation and the tide turned in this thread ;)

NC MacGuy
Mar 3, 2008, 08:23 PM
You should read some of the later posts ;) There was a revelation and the tide turned in this thread ;)

The only real thing I saw regarding the interoffice was the reference to the zipper. I'll read some more and see if I can see what is up. Any help pointing me to which post of the 170 would be appreciated.:confused:

jameskohn
Mar 3, 2008, 08:34 PM
I know you opted for the InterOfficeMac because it has more protection but look at that zipper. It looks like it will scratch the MBA everytime someone puts it in or takes it out.

I guess I'll know tomorrow. I had a neoprene sleeve for my last laptop; it had a zipper and it was no problem at all. I hope that's the case with this one, as I really want the added protection that seems to be offered by InterOfficemac.

NC MacGuy
Mar 3, 2008, 08:41 PM
I guess I'll know tomorrow. I had a neoprene sleeve for my last laptop; it had a zipper and it was no problem at all. I hope that's the case with this one, as I really want the added protection that seems to be offered by InterOfficemac.

Great! Please post how it goes. Order-link-site says zipper doesn't touch. Very hard to judge unless you've seen one in action or someone else has. I usually don't go for these type of things but already got a couple of dings in sharp lid from just travel abuse.

random person
Mar 4, 2008, 09:07 AM
I love the pics and can't wait to get mine!

From the looks of it it is exactly what I'm after -- just something to cover the Air when carried in a briefcase, travel bag, etc. It is certainly not nearly as protective as the SF/Waterfield sleeve, but the SF sleeve weighs 13 ounces and adds considerable bulk to the Air as well. I think I'll use the SF product when I need extra protection but otherwise this Manila Mac should fit the bill nicely without defeating the whole purpose of the light and slim design of the Air.

Now I got a notification from PayPal that it was shipping but for two days now the status is the same "package information received." I'm hoping that it has in fact actually shipped despite this cryptic non-information!

aosman
Mar 4, 2008, 09:11 AM
pretty cool! :)

dahcheet
Mar 4, 2008, 09:16 AM
Now I got a notification from PayPal that it was shipping but for two days now the status is the same "package information received." I'm hoping that it has in fact actually shipped despite this cryptic non-information!

USPS is notoriously bad at "tracking" packages. It really is a way for senders to know whether or not a package was received and not so much for receivers to see where a package is located. If you got your message on Sunday (two days ago) then it probably went out Monday and you'll get it by the end of the week (in the continental US) or early next week (just about everywhere else).

Sandy Santra
Mar 4, 2008, 10:06 AM
Is that sticker (mailing label) removable?

dahcheet
Mar 4, 2008, 10:08 AM
Is that sticker (mailing label) removable?

Yes, it just peels off. I'm leaving mine on because I like the look of it. I kind of want to move it to the other side where there isn't anything on it. Adds some flair to it.

Chad H
Mar 5, 2008, 09:54 AM
I just got my shipment notification. Yes, I am pumped! Can't wait to get it. :D:apple:

MacRumorUser
Mar 5, 2008, 10:46 AM
The only real thing I saw regarding the interoffice was the reference to the zipper. I'll read some more and see if I can see what is up. Any help pointing me to which post of the 170 would be appreciated.:confused:

It turned out the newbie poster who rushed on to tell everyone they had found an alternative is actually just the opposition touting for business by hijacking threads and promoting their wares instead. It didn't go down well when we realised what they were doing.

Not exactly bad, but then you have to take their quality assurance in there first post with skepticism as it is ultimately biased obviously.

Zorn
Mar 5, 2008, 01:48 PM
It turned out the newbie poster who rushed on to tell everyone they had found an alternative is actually just the opposition touting for business by hijacking threads and promoting their wares instead. It didn't go down well when we realised what they were doing.

Not exactly bad, but then you have to take their quality assurance in there first post with skepticism as it is ultimately biased obviously.

Haha! I actually thought about this when I first saw the thread! Was it deleted after that? I can't seem to find it, I really wanted to read it and see them get called out :p

random person
Mar 5, 2008, 02:08 PM
I just got mine!

It is terrific -- just what I expected it would be. That said, I would say that it is a thin sleeve just to protect the Air from surface scratches, nothing more.
It is perfect for slipping the Air into some other item like a briefcase, etc.,but if you are after more serious protection you will have to look elsewhere.

But I love the thing! It actually has a nice "hand" and is very light and soft and floppy. Adds neither bulk nor weight to the Air and it is a very cool concept. WAAYYYY cool!!!!:D

NC MacGuy
Mar 5, 2008, 02:49 PM

Thanks for finally answering my question. I've looked for the afflicting post without success. Not that there's anything wrong w. the Manilmac/Airmail but I would have liked a zipper option if done correctly.

Bought a Wenger compact laptop/portfolio hybrid mini-briefcase yesterday that looks like it'll do the job.

clayj
Mar 5, 2008, 04:52 PM
Well, I got mine today! (Complete with the "shipping label"... mine even says "Thanks for reordering!", so you know they're paying attention to their customers.)

I admit it's pretty cool to see in person... the "manila" does have rather a plastic-y look and feel to it, not matte like paper would be, but that's OK. And one bonus I noticed is that there are NO hard surfaces anywhere on or inside this thing to scratch your MBA on, aside from the button (which, being rounded plastic, would still have a hard time scratching anything). So as a scratch-repeller, the AirMail gets a very high score from me. The stitching is immaculately done, and obviously not by hand... it's too perfect.

Kudos to Jona and Claire!

MacRumorUser
Mar 5, 2008, 05:14 PM
I'm a very sad sad bunny....

My thread and I still haven't got mine yet :(

So envious of all you that have received yours.

chrismac00
Mar 5, 2008, 05:15 PM
Does anyone know if a regular MacBook fits in the ManilaMac case?

mtk75
Mar 5, 2008, 06:31 PM
I'm a very sad sad bunny....

My thread and I still haven't got mine yet :(

So envious of all you that have received yours.

:( It's too bad you haven't received yours.

I just got the USPS notification that mine should be sitting on my doorstep! :D

Can't wait to get home, and you are *not* allowed to go pick it up for me. ;)

-Matt

Edit: It was there, and it is even cooler than I had thought it would be! *Very* happy. :)

jameskohn
Mar 5, 2008, 06:53 PM
I received the InterOfficeMac sleeve today. It is a pretty nice product. The zipper WILL definitely have some minimal contact with your laptop, but it is not a metal zipper, so no problem there.

What I did not realize is the Width of this sleeve; it 3" WIDER than my MBA! My fault for not verifying dimensions before ordering. If you paid top dollar for a laptop in large part because of it's form factor, it would be hard to justify a sleeve that is so much bigger.

I guess if it's going in a case that can accommodate the dimensions, it would be fine. Unfortunately for me, the area of the bag that I carry my MBA in can't accommodate a sleeve this large.

Oops.

NC MacGuy
Mar 5, 2008, 07:30 PM
I received the InterOfficeMac sleeve today. It is a pretty nice product. The zipper WILL definitely have some minimal contact with your laptop, but it is not a metal zipper, so no problem there.

What I did not realize is the Width of this sleeve; it 3" WIDER than my MBA! My fault for not verifying dimensions before ordering. If you paid top dollar for a laptop in large part because of it's form factor, it would be hard to justify a sleeve that is so much bigger.

I guess if it's going in a case that can accommodate the dimensions, it would be fine. Unfortunately for me, the area of the bag that I carry my MBA in can't accommodate a sleeve this large.

Oops.

It's not really your fault for not checking dim's, they should know what the Air's are and made something that has a little less extra space.

Glad I didn't order.

Thanks for the post.

clayj
Mar 5, 2008, 07:43 PM
By way of comparison to that OTHER manila sleeve, the AirMail fits the MBA *perfectly*:

queshy
Mar 5, 2008, 07:45 PM
That thing could fit a macbook pro! What gives?

Zorn
Mar 5, 2008, 07:50 PM
That thing could fit a macbook pro! What gives?

Yeah I have no clue what they were thinking with that size...bizarre.

clayj
Mar 5, 2008, 08:20 PM
That thing could fit a macbook pro! What gives?It looks to me like an MBP would be too long to fit in that thing...

NC MacGuy
Mar 5, 2008, 08:21 PM
Outsourced it and someone got dim's wrong? No way that could be intentional.

Jona
Mar 5, 2008, 09:39 PM
Hey, thanks everyone for the positive feedback! We've been getting a great response from everyone, and it makes all the hard work worthwhile.

MacRumourUser, I'm pretty sure yours has been shipped! International just takes a little longer. Send me a quick email with your transaction ID# and I'll double check. info@manilamac.com

Some news from the AirMail team:

This week, in 72 back-breaking hours, we turned around our massive shipment of 1200 sleeves from our manufacturer to our first 1200 customers. Just the two of us! It brought new meaning to the term "stuffing envelopes."

There's some photos of the process here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yacht/

Unfortunately, now we're out of stock again until the next shipment comes from the factory on Monday or Tuesday. The moment they arrive, we'll head right back in and send out the next 1800 AirMails to customers.

We're working as hard as possible to make each order as awesome as possible, as those of you who've already received them can testify.

Love,
Jona & Claire

Jimmie Geddes
Mar 5, 2008, 11:14 PM
I received my AirMail case today and LOVE it!! Great work Jona and Claire. I'm going to take some pictures of it and post it to my site. I'm so glad I got this case, it's GREAT!!! Best of luck, and congrats on the success of your case!! Thanks for making it!!!

queshy
Mar 6, 2008, 12:43 AM
Hey, thanks everyone for the positive feedback! We've been getting a great response from everyone, and it makes all the hard work worthwhile.

MacRumourUser, I'm pretty sure yours has been shipped! International just takes a little longer. Send me a quick email with your transaction ID# and I'll double check. info@manilamac.com

Some news from the AirMail team:

This week, in 72 back-breaking hours, we turned around our massive shipment of 1200 sleeves from our manufacturer to our first 1200 customers. Just the two of us! It brought new meaning to the term "stuffing envelopes."

There's some photos of the process here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yacht/

Unfortunately, now we're out of stock again until the next shipment comes from the factory on Monday or Tuesday. The moment they arrive, we'll head right back in and send out the next 1800 AirMails to customers.

We're working as hard as possible to make each order as awesome as possible, as those of you who've already received them can testify.

Love,
Jona & Claire

lol, with 3000 sleeves, and most likely a pretty decent profit margin on each one, wouldn't it make sense to hire a worker to help you maximize profits, seeing the massive success of this sleeve? Haha, I clearly do not know much about business and you guys came up with the wonderful idea, but just a thought.

Oh, and soon enough you'll be getting another order, from myself :)

mcvaughan
Mar 6, 2008, 09:15 PM
I received my AirMail today! I love it! Great work Jona and Claire!

TxMacAddict
Mar 7, 2008, 11:39 AM
I'm sold...I want one but I think I'll wait until they catch up.

Please let us know when you are ready to start shipping these things...
Preferably within 24 hours! :D

grimslade
Mar 7, 2008, 11:43 AM
I got my manilamac yesterday. It's not bad. It's a little large (not interoffice mac large, but not snug either). If it were me, I'd have made it nice and snug. I have the feeling it would have lasted longer that way too.

junglebutterfly
Mar 7, 2008, 12:36 PM
I GOT COMMUNICATION!!

turns out that they had been trying to email me and couldn't get through. They couldn't find any trace of my order which is why I haven't gotten my air mail yet. So I sent them a copy and paste of my paypal history with manilamac and I got this reply.

Hey Kristen,

OK! Found it!

So this is the deal.

This week we turned around a massive shipment of 1200 sleeves from our manufacturer to our first 1200 customers. We started with the first orders placed in early January, and moved forward from there. You probably read about this in the Macrumors thread. Unfortunately, from the looks of it, you were not in that first batch of the backlog.

Now we're out of stock again until the next shipment comes from the factory on Monday. The moment they arrive, we'll head right back in and send out the next 1800 AirMails to customers. We'll make certain that yours goes out the first day we ship. It's an insane job for just two people, and we're working as hard as possible.

If next week is too long a wait, let us know and we'll happily refund you.

Really sorry about the delay. The orders come faster than we can make them, and we understand if you're dissapointed.

Best,
Claire & Jona

Now I'm excited

Jona
Mar 10, 2008, 04:54 PM
Correction: the new shipment is coming at the END of this week (3/17).

The manufacturing world is a total mystery to us, but the next 1800 sleeves are coming to our house via FedEx this weekend.

Refunds always available to those who don't want to wait!

Thanks!

summitwynds
Mar 10, 2008, 05:26 PM
I got mine and I have to say it is great. With my MacAir it fits nicely into my portfolio bag

MacRumorUser
Mar 10, 2008, 06:54 PM
Got mine today... it's great :) But problem is mine came to company address so they put the wrong name on the sticker which I would have kept on it otherwise :o

I also by chance got to see the interoffice case too in person. What a piece of poo that is.

Its rigid, 35% bigger than the Manilamac case (so much so that you can put your mac book air in your airmail, and put it inside the interoffice case and it will still move about)

The buttons are not buttons but bits of vinyl. The stitching is poor leaving a little from the buttons sticking out on the inside.

The felt lining is cheep and no way near as good as the fleece lining in the airmail...

Seriously the interoffice case is exactly what it is.... a crap and cheap knockoff of a quality case.

bence8810
Mar 17, 2008, 03:47 AM
Hi

I am still waiting for mine, and I should be in the next 1800 customers who will get them. On the Website they said today, March 17th, the next 1800 bags are coming in from manufacturer, and it will be sent out. I cannot wait to get mine.

The funny thing is today I went to check their site, and it says all sleeves are sold out, and stand by for more news. I guess a new product is in the works?

I also noticed from the blog site Jona has, that they are off to a tour on the 19th, Wednesday. I only hope the current orders will be sent out before that day.

Cheers, if anyone have any news, please share,

Ben

http://www.manillamac.com

sadsack
Mar 17, 2008, 07:06 AM
Sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but have you guys had a look at this leather envelope.

http://www.civilianlab.com/

I use the incase macbook case which is a tad big, but does the job.

bence8810
Mar 17, 2008, 07:11 AM
Sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but have you guys had a look at this leather envelope.

Its a bit on the pricey side I would say, specially that its only a sleeve, and not a bag.

I would stick to the Manilla AirMail. I wonder what are they working on next.....

Ben

bence8810
Mar 18, 2008, 08:55 AM
So anyone got email stating their shippment was on the way? Its tuesday, so the 1800 new pieces should be shipping out as far as I remember. I haven't got anything yet email-wise.

Ben

fredrickyoon
Mar 18, 2008, 12:00 PM
Still waiting for mine as well. I was told by Claire that mine would be in this batch of 1,800. Don't know if these went out, but looks like they should be going out shortly. Hopefully. Reading the blog on their website, they're going on tour starting tomorrow.

Can't wait.

bence8810
Mar 18, 2008, 12:01 PM
Still waiting for mine as well. I was told by Claire that mine would be in this batch of 1,800. Don't know if these went out, but looks like they should be going out shortly. Hopefully. Reading the blog on their website, they're going on tour starting tomorrow.

Can't wait.

Right, they need to be in San Diego tomorrow, so I am guessing since we got no email yet, shipping might be delayed?

Ben

fredrickyoon
Mar 18, 2008, 12:05 PM
I'm seriously hoping not. Been waiting for this case for a few weeks. We'll have to wait and see. Did send an email to them over the weekend, and Claire personally wrote back on Sunday evening late saying that mine would be included in this 1,800 batch. Didn't mention on when they'd be shipped out, but once the tracking numbers are generated, I would receive an email.

bence8810
Mar 18, 2008, 12:10 PM
I'm seriously hoping not. Been waiting for this case for a few weeks. We'll have to wait and see. Did send an email to them over the weekend, and Claire personally wrote back on Sunday evening late saying that mine would be included in this 1,800 batch. Didn't mention on when they'd be shipped out, but once the tracking numbers are generated, I would receive an email.

I hope they hired someone to ship these things out while away on tour. They have came through for the first batch, so I am sure we won't be let down either.

Ben

Darge13
Mar 18, 2008, 06:10 PM
I just received an email shipment notification!!!

bence8810
Mar 19, 2008, 12:07 AM
I just received an email shipment notification!!!

That's great news.

When did you initially put in you order?

Thanks

Ben

fredrickyoon
Mar 19, 2008, 08:10 AM
Same with me, got a shipment notification, tracked it this morning and it's enroute from California to New Jersey. Should be here tomorrow or Friday at the latest.

I ordered it through their website about 2 weeks ago.

Can't wait to receive it.

bence8810
Mar 19, 2008, 08:18 AM
I ordered it through their website about 2 weeks ago.

That's not very comforting to me, as I have ordered mine on the 16th last month, over a month ago now.

Hope my email is right around the corner too.....

Ben

fredrickyoon
Mar 19, 2008, 08:41 AM
Ben, I would send an email to info@manilamac.com and give them your paypal payment transaction number. It shouldn't be too long. And plus, they respond back to you within 24 hours.

Good luck.

bence8810
Mar 19, 2008, 09:10 AM
Ben, I would send an email to info@manilamac.com and give them your paypal payment transaction number. It shouldn't be too long. And plus, they respond back to you within 24 hours.

Good luck.

You are right, I sent them an email, and I hope to hear back soon.

Cheers,

Ben

Darge13
Mar 19, 2008, 02:38 PM
I bought mine 2 weeks from Thursday... (03/06/08)

bence8810
Mar 19, 2008, 03:09 PM
I bought mine 2 weeks from Thursday... (03/06/08)

I guess first come last served :)

Still waiting for my email....

Ben

EDIT:

Just saw an update on their site, they are selling it now for a $10 more and it ships in 1-2 days. I wonder if I should cancel and reorder? I want my case :(

EDIT2:

Got an email response, thanks Claire.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your order, and for writing us.

We've had -- as you may have heard -- some complications in figuring
out both the manufacturing and shipping
ends of this brand-new business. We're extremely sorry for the delays,
but this time has been crucial for us to
get everything working.

We are now BACK in stock and actively shipping orders in the order that
they were received. As soon as yours
goes out, you'll get an email. All our International orders are going out
today and tomorrow, so you should
receive confirmation and tracking info at whichever email address
you use for PayPal stuff very soon.

Thanks so much for your order, and we hope you love your AirMail
as much as we do!

Love,
Claire & Jona

isdereks
Mar 20, 2008, 02:20 PM
Just checkedthe AirMail site and noticed all new orders ship within 1-2 business days. I promptly submitted my order and look forward to getting it in.

pletwal
Mar 20, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hi Ben,

I received exactly the same answer from Claire last night and still waiting for an e-mail with shipment notification....

Best Regards,
Tomek

bence8810
Mar 20, 2008, 02:34 PM
Hi Ben,

I received exactly the same answer from Claire last night and still waiting for an e-mail with shipment notification....

Best Regards,
Tomek

Hi Tomek,

So we are in the same boat. Where are you expecting your precious AirMail to? Poland perhaps?

Cheers

Ben

pletwal
Mar 20, 2008, 02:37 PM
Hi Tomek,

... Poland perhaps?

yep :)
I live in Poland, Warsaw.

Regards,
Tomek

bence8810
Mar 20, 2008, 02:40 PM
yep :)
I live in Poland, Warsaw.

Regards,
Tomek

Was just a wild guess from the name :) Nice place you live at, have been there couple of times. Love the Bison Vodka with the grass in it :)

Cheers

Ben

pletwal
Mar 20, 2008, 02:58 PM
Was just a wild guess from the name :)

Very good guess, respect :)

Nice place you live at, have been there
couple of times. Love the Bison Vodka with the grass in it :)

I think I can find some better places to live ;) especially now when we have winter here.
But you are right about "Zubrowka" vodka - it's really good with apple juice :D

Regards,
Tomek

nintendude
Mar 20, 2008, 08:38 PM
Has anyone realized that the price is now $39.95:eek:? I thought it was $29.95

nintendude
Mar 20, 2008, 09:11 PM
never mind above post.

I guess first come last served :)

Still waiting for my email....

Ben

EDIT:

Just saw an update on their site, they are selling it now for a $10 more and it ships in 1-2 days. I wonder if I should cancel and reorder? I want my case :(

EDIT2:

Got an email response, thanks Claire.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your order, and for writing us.

We've had -- as you may have heard -- some complications in figuring
out both the manufacturing and shipping
ends of this brand-new business. We're extremely sorry for the delays,
but this time has been crucial for us to
get everything working.

We are now BACK in stock and actively shipping orders in the order that
they were received. As soon as yours
goes out, you'll get an email. All our International orders are going out
today and tomorrow, so you should
receive confirmation and tracking info at whichever email address
you use for PayPal stuff very soon.

Thanks so much for your order, and we hope you love your AirMail
as much as we do!

Love,
Claire & Jona

bbbshrimp
Mar 21, 2008, 03:02 AM

Very nice leather version. I was also wondering if anyone had gotten one...
I read a review: http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9897492-1.html
when I was looking for a sleeve.

I browed the civilianlab.com website and found another MacBook case - the Radiator - anyone has one? It seems it's only for the 13"??

bence8810
Mar 21, 2008, 03:06 AM
Very nice leather version. I was also wondering if anyone had gotten one...
I read a review: http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9897492-1.html
when I was looking for a sleeve.

I browed the civilianlab.com website and found another MacBook case - the Radiator - anyone has one? It seems it's only for the 13"??

I have seen it on the web also, but it seems it ships from April only. And to my taste, the AirMail fits better.

Ben

p.s. I saw the Radiator too, that is more like a high-tech case you are not supposed to remove your laptop from. But that is only for the MB, and not MBA.

TxMacAddict
Mar 21, 2008, 04:23 AM
Sorry guys at 39.95 I will pass... I can get a leather one for $15 more. Anybody else think the new price is a little excessive for what this is? It seems out of character from what I've read about these two.

Their can only be one explanation for this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hkjkTe5kZE

junglebutterfly
Mar 21, 2008, 07:30 AM
I just wanted to let anyone know who has yet to receive their airmail that I got mine yesterday and I never got a shipping email. it just came as a total surprise. Don't get let down if you haven't gotten your shipping confirmation yet.

Also I agree with the last post the price hike is pretty excessive for the product. Don't get me wrong I LOVE THE AIRMAIL but there's no way I would have paid $45 for it!!

I am just glad I FINALLY got mine!!! I ordered February 7th and got it yesterday.

stsanford
Mar 21, 2008, 08:14 AM
Just to let you all know, here's another person who received their AirMail case.

Very good execution, nice materials included.

Was a little off-put with the letter inside. I understand that it was a lot of work to get these done, that's what business is all about. Hard work. I also did some rough calculations and figure at probably around $16 profit each, these two realized around $130,000 for their efforts so far. Not too shabby for a couple of month's work.

Regardless, case is real, good quality, wouldn't do it for ~$40 but that's just me.

bence8810
Mar 21, 2008, 03:04 PM
Still no email here....

I wonder if I will have the envelope by the time I take my first trip on the 1st of April. That will be exactly 6 weeks after my order was placed :|

Ben

fredrickyoon
Mar 21, 2008, 08:39 PM
Received mine on Thursday this week and it's awesome. Perfect fit, light, and durable and compliments protecting my Air. Even with the full invisible shield on the Air, it's still well protected in the ManilaMac case as well as in my Brenthaven shoulder bag.

ceehjayem
Mar 25, 2008, 03:03 PM
Sorry guys at 39.95 I will pass... I can get a leather one for $15 more. Anybody else think the new price is a little excessive for what this is? It seems out of character from what I've read about these two.

Their can only be one explanation for this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hkjkTe5kZE

I'm on the bubble on this as well. I was going to purchase one at $29.99 but now I see they raised it to $39.99 and I'm a bit hesitant to get it. That's pretty pricey for what it is in my opinion.

bence8810
Mar 25, 2008, 03:13 PM
Hi

Its not only the money, its the shipping speed.

I have purchased mine on the 16th of February, and no shippment note yet. I sent two email, both claimed to be shipping any time soon.

Their website changed to "Shipping withing 1 or 2 days" a week ago, however a custome who purchased over a month ago gets no priority.

I am not putting the product off, as I still think this is the coolest one out there, and I am really looking forward getting it, which is why I am not cancelling, but its getting funny.

Anyways, I am going to keep waiting, and report back,

Any other international orders from the 2nd batch who received a note of shippment?

Thanks

Ben

ceehjayem
Mar 25, 2008, 03:21 PM
Hi

Its not only the money, its the shipping speed.

I have purchased mine on the 16th of February, and no shippment note yet. I sent two email, both claimed to be shipping any time soon.

Their website changed to "Shipping withing 1 or 2 days" a week ago, however a custome who purchased over a month ago gets no priority.

I am not putting the product off, as I still think this is the coolest one out there, and I am really looking forward getting it, which is why I am not cancelling, but its getting funny.

Anyways, I am going to keep waiting, and report back,

Any other international orders from the 2nd batch who received a note of shippment?

Thanks

Ben

Damn sorry to hear that. That's over one month, highly unacceptable.

yymca6
Mar 25, 2008, 05:57 PM
I ordered mine on February 29 and I am still waiting. I already sent them 2 emails to check if it is coming soon but I am also still waiting for an answer. They should at least have someone answering mail before getting too many canceled orders.

TxMacAddict
Mar 26, 2008, 01:05 AM
Uh-oh... hopefully not a case of burnout. :eek:

Success isn't easy folks.

pletwal
Mar 26, 2008, 12:54 PM

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben,

I'm still waiting.... haven't received shippment notification nor manila sleeve, yet :(

Regards,
Tomek

fredrickyoon
Mar 26, 2008, 01:21 PM
I got mine last week, used it for 1 day and decided not to keep it. Decided to stick with my UKWrappers case instead.

bence8810
Mar 26, 2008, 02:55 PM
I got mine last week, used it for 1 day and decided not to keep it. Decided to stick with my UKWrappers case instead.

Hi

Were you not satisfied with it?

Ben

fredrickyoon
Mar 26, 2008, 02:59 PM
No, nothing like that, but it took a while for them to send it to me, and I got others. Have the In-Case Neoprene sleeve right now (which I'm selling. Thread is located in the marketplace), and also got the Asphalt Grey Orion Sleeve by Incipio Technologies (which I'm selling. Thread is also located in the marketplace). Deciding to keep my UK Wrappers one instead.

Nothing is wrong with the ManilaMac, it's a great idea though.

bence8810
Mar 26, 2008, 03:56 PM
No, nothing like that, but it took a while for them to send it to me, and I got others. Have the In-Case Neoprene sleeve right now (which I'm selling. Thread is located in the marketplace), and also got the Asphalt Grey Orion Sleeve by Incipio Technologies (which I'm selling. Thread is also located in the marketplace). Deciding to keep my UK Wrappers one instead.

Nothing is wrong with the ManilaMac, it's a great idea though.

Quite a collector you are, I saw you even got the Civilian case, that black manila envelope one.

I only bought the Airmail, which I still didnt receive :( and a business case from Fabrixcases.com, the blue suit delux case. That case I ordered a few weeks after the Airmail, and have already gotten it. What a drag...

Ben

Hi Ben,

I'm still waiting.... haven't received shippment notification nor manila sleeve, yet :(

Regards,
Tomek

Same here my friend, same here...... Getting depressed over this, I am leaving on a trip in 4 days, and I wont have my uber-cool case with me :(

Ben

bence8810
Mar 27, 2008, 02:57 PM
Hi Guys,

I just received the shipping notification, which I should have gotten weeks ago by the way.

Here it is:

Hi,

Good news! If you're getting this email, it means your AirMail sleeve is finally on its way to the following address:

BEN***********
HUNGARY

We hope you love your AirMail sleeve as much as we loved making them!

Below is your tracking information. Don't ever hesitate to drop us a line at info@manilamac.com if you have any questions!

Love,
Claire & Jona
http://www.manilamac.com
info@manilamac.com
A package was shipped to you on 03/27/2008 via U.S. Postal Service First-Class International to the following address:

BEN***********
HUNGARY

I did send them another email this morning in a bit more pushy tone, I wonder if that is what triggered the shippment. Can other International customers check for their email notification?

Thanks
Ben

yymca6
Mar 27, 2008, 06:46 PM
I am still waiting for an answer to my 2 emails. Should I add I am also waiting for the case. Canada is only a few miles away...

pletwal
Mar 28, 2008, 02:53 AM
Hi Guys,
Can other International customers check for their email notification?

Ben

I've also received an e-mail with shipment notification :D

Regards,
Tomek

bence8810
Mar 28, 2008, 03:08 AM
I've also received an e-mail with shipment notification :D

Regards,
Tomek

Tomek, that's good stuff, I am glad you got yours. Hope all the rest of us will get it as well,

How long is First Class Mail shippment from US? I only know the Global Priority Mail, which is 5 days. I wonder when can we get our sleeves....

Cheers

Ben

isdereks
Mar 28, 2008, 07:37 PM
I just received the AirMail today.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2315/2370130280_f67440e179.jpg

I have to admit, I'm not too thrilled with it. The Air really isn't snug inside. It kind of slides around with all the extra room on the sides.

nihilisticmonk
Mar 29, 2008, 08:00 AM
I put in an order around a week ago, and have had no emails whatsoever from manillamac.

Not even a "We have received your order" mail.

Still no response from them yet :-(

I just received the AirMail today.

I have to admit, I'm not too thrilled with it. The Air really isn't snug inside. It kind of slides around with all the extra room on the sides.

Your air looks real shiny...have you kept the plastic on, or do you have surf wax on it ;)

bence8810
Mar 29, 2008, 08:55 AM
I put in an order around a week ago, and have had no emails whatsoever from manillamac.

Not even a "We have received your order" mail.

Still no response from them yet :-(

Wow, that's what I call a 1-2 day shipping.

I wonder, after all the good feedback they received from early buyers, why do they turn the experience towards crap?

Ben

nihilisticmonk
Mar 29, 2008, 02:39 PM
Wow, that's what I call a 1-2 day shipping.

I wonder, after all the good feedback they received from early buyers, why do they turn the experience towards crap?

Ben

Reading between the lines, it appears they've either sold the business, or given it to others to look after. As they've "Gone on tour" according to their blog. (Pic Attached)

No update since march 22'nd as well.

http://manilamac.tumblr.com/

I'll give 'em the weekend to respond. The starting Monday, will email every day. Still no joy in a week I'll report them to paypal & get my money back.

Very disappointed with the experience, especially with the "ships 1 to 2 days after purchase".

bence8810
Mar 29, 2008, 02:57 PM
Hi,

As I was not getting any shippment email for a while, I also started the amateur investigation, and I had the same exact impressions and thoughts of yours.

The last email they sent me even backs this up:

Hi Ben,

I'm sorry for not responding earlier. We've hired a team of people to
help us with shipping all the AirMail sleeves, and we're working
around the clock to get all the orders out. We're going through them
as they were received, and your order should have already been
shipped. International shipping takes much longer to process than
domestic orders, so it's possible that some US customers on the
forums have received theirs even though they ordered after you.

We'll double-check to see what's going on, but your order is
certainly about to be shipped.

So sorry, really, for the delays. We appreciate your sticking
with us, and you should know that if you ever want a refund,
we'll issue one immediately.

Best,
Claire & Jona

I would wait a few more days, and then try again. I think they have a shipping team, who might not be as devoted as Jona and Claire were in the beginning,

Ben