Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misfit356tsw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Help I have corrupt JPEGs. The pictures show up fine in in thumbnail but when opened up in preview they only show half of the picture.

CPLUSE

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2008
Help

Help I have corrupt JPEGs. The pictures show up fine in in thumbnail but when opened up in preview they only show half of the picture.

I am getting the same error. I cannot find a fix for them. Would someone please help. I really need to restore these picture or find a fix.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Are these pictures still on the card?

If so you can try using PhotoRec, it is free and the best piece of software I have used to recover pictures.

nissan.gtp

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
Virginia
I used Klix from Joesoft to recover a CF card, after trying several free ones. Klix worked brilliantly.

Good luck.

CPLUSE

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2008
I used Klix from Joesoft to recover a CF card, after trying several free ones. Klix worked brilliantly.

Good luck.

Are these pictures still on the card?

If so you can try using PhotoRec, it is free and the best piece of software I have used to recover pictures.

No this is on my harddrive. I'v had this file on my drive for a while. There where on a second drive. I had to do a reinstall, when i went back to look at the picture about 65% where like this.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
No this is on my harddrive. I'v had this file on my drive for a while. There where on a second drive. I had to do a reinstall, when i went back to look at the picture about 65% where like this.

Just re read the page from PhotoRec and you can still use it

Good luck.

I tried Klix when i lost a lot of pictures from traveling and it was good but PhotoRec sorted out so many more pictures + it is free, although not too user friendly.

CPLUSE

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2008
Just re read the page from PhotoRec and you can still use it

I tried Klix when i lost a lot of pictures from traveling and it was good but PhotoRec sorted out so many more pictures + it is free, although not too user friendly.

OK cool, i will try it tonight. Thank you again.

CPLUSE

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2008
Ok it finished. It grad allot of picture but i still get the errors i was getting before. Iv added a picture to show what I'm talking about. It funny i can see it fine in thumbnail, but any other program it shows grey or multi color garbage.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    725.2 KB · Views: 703

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Ok it finished. It grad allot of picture but i still get the errors i was getting before. Iv added a picture to show what I'm talking about. It funny i can see it fine in thumbnail, but any other program it shows grey or multi color garbage.

The thumbnail data is at the begining of the file and it is common to be able to see the thumbnail on corrupted files. You could give other programs a try but sometimes you just have to accept that they are gone.

Maybe someone else knows some other tricks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.