PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone buy the MBA as his or her only computer?

Ryuukumori
Feb 3, 2008, 10:36 PM
I have seen all over this forum that people say is is a mistake and dumb to buy a MBA as his or her own computer, and nothing else to use (remote disc, power and performance, etc). I really don't see a problem of buying a MBA as only one computer for one person.

So here's a thread I made to contradict that!

Who here has purchased/ preordered a MBA for his or her only available computer?

Jphillippe
Feb 3, 2008, 10:44 PM
I have seen all over this forum that people say is is a mistake and dumb to buy a MBA as his or her own computer, and nothing else to use (remote disc, power and performance, etc). I really don't see a problem of buying a MBA as only one computer for one person.

Who here has purchased/ preordered a MBA for his or her only available computer?

Well I have a Sony Vaio as my only computer, and I want to give it to my brother and have a Macbook Air as my only computer. The only thing that has held me back is lack of firewire port because I'm obsessed with recording my vocals, and I can't get my audio interface to work, unless I can find a good adapter then I will definitely buy the macbook air as my only laptop.

r00
Feb 3, 2008, 10:47 PM
Like I've posted in different threads, I've had all current MacBooks. The low end white, the Black, and the Pro. For me, the MBA sums up everything I love about each MB. A 13.3" LED display, aluminum finish, backlit keyboard, and is thin as hell. I've returned my latest white MB on Jan 9th in hopes for a smaller MBP like others.

In short, I'm using my fiancee's iBook G4 and I'm without a computer. I'm going to the Apple Store tomorrow and if they have the base 1.6/80 in stock I'm more then certain I will leave with it and it will be my only computer. I have the 20" widescreen LCD, wireless apple keyboard and mouse and later down the line I'll pick up an external HDD for more space.

deezie
Feb 3, 2008, 10:55 PM
Well I have an iMac G5 right now (couple years old). Getting my MBA tomorrow. However I'm giving my G5 to my father in a couple weeks, and will be without a desktop for 3-4 months before I get a newer one.

Hopefully the MBA will satisfy my computing needs in that time, as I'll only need to use it for internets, word processing, and some Matlab/Simulink use. Should suit me just fine.

uber gorilla
Feb 3, 2008, 11:03 PM
......when it comes to computers, that is!

I'm intending the MBA to be my sole computer. As a law student, my needs are pretty simple in terms of what I will do with the thing, and in terms of my personality I'm pretty minimalist/clutter-free so I'd rather just have one computer for storage etc, than have several and be shifting files around all the time. I suppose if my needs were more complex (eg a graphics-design student or a hard-ass gamer) I'd definately have a beast of a desk-top and just use the MBA for simple daily tasks when I'm on the run.

So, as with everything it seems, it really comes down to the individual. The fact is, the MBA is CAPABLE of sufficing as a sole computer, but perhaps in the perception of other people it suffices as a particularly LIMITED sole computer. Each to their own, ja!

Unconsoled
Feb 3, 2008, 11:10 PM
I bought mine here in Seattle on Friday night as my only computer. Up until 3 weeks ago my only computer was my old 12" PB. The Air is faster, has more RAM and a larger HD. It is lighter, sexier has a sharper screen and is an all around nicer ride. I am not a gamer. I don't keep 10 apps open at the same time. I never once in 5 years used the ethernet port and the only thing I need for a port is the USB for my iPhone and iPod, neither of which I sync at the same time. I did by the Mac Air Superdrive and only had a combo drive before that. The only time I used the optical drive was to load new software and to burn CD's and that was maybe a handful of times a year.

Nutshell: For someone who just surfs the World Wide Web Net, emails, messes with photos and occansionaly uses Garageband it is THE perfect machine. Everything I need and looks HAWT!!

Anderson3133
Feb 3, 2008, 11:12 PM

I couldn't see why not. I mean, my Acer Aspire 3620 is 1.6Ghz (worse chipset) 40GB HDD (4200 RPM) and the absolute worst battery in history, and it works awesome for school work/photoshop/internet/email etc.

It is also running both Windows XP and Vista.

Talk about a workhorse :p

Cybergypsy
Feb 3, 2008, 11:17 PM
I did and get it tomorrow :)

Anderson3133
Feb 3, 2008, 11:21 PM
I did and get it tomorrow :)

It's about time :D

DCSMAC
Feb 3, 2008, 11:24 PM
how well would the standard MBA run final cut express? would it run better on a 1.8ghz upgrade (non-ssd)?

uber gorilla
Feb 3, 2008, 11:24 PM
Well, Cybergypsy, consider yourself lucky. I ordered mine on the 17th Jan, it's due to ship in less than two weeks (I made the mistake (?) of ordering Office '08 at the same time, and instructed Apple to hold all items until they were all ready for shipment...Office '08 takes a week longer), and Apple still hasn't debited my bank account for the cost. Ah, waiting is the hardest part :)

Anderson3133
Feb 3, 2008, 11:27 PM
how well would the standard MBA run final cut express? would it run better on a 1.8ghz upgrade (non-ssd)?

I would not try it personally. :eek:

DCSMAC
Feb 3, 2008, 11:28 PM
would you try it with a maxed out macbook?

bidwalj
Feb 3, 2008, 11:38 PM
its my only......it has the best of both worlds

had a blackbook, hated the dull screen and finger prints but liked the size for traveling. I got the macbook pro when the last refresh hit. I loved the screen and the materials. It was a bit bigger than i wanted, but the bigger size was a better tradeoff for me then the dull screen.

The mba takes care of all of my needs. I mainly use my computer for music, internet and chatting. the mba does all those well and i bought the superdrive for the times i need to burn a cd. overall its been working out well.

ivan1234
Feb 4, 2008, 12:18 AM
i did, i use my computers mainly for research and email. I also like to take my laptop with me everyday so the mba is perfect for me :D

dannn
Feb 4, 2008, 12:34 AM
the MBA can work as a primary computer depending on how it's gonna be used.
i personally plan on using an MBA as my primary computer since all i really need it for is email, web surfing, downloading, writing papers, etc.

Ppl say 'it's too expensive' but it's an ultraportable, of course it's going to be a little expensive. In all honesty, when i first heard the price, i actually thought it was a great deal...an ultra portable with that much power for only $1800, not too shabby

Also the fact that Apple didnt size it down makes the MBA even more useful as a primary laptop. The extra screen space will make everything alot easier on the eyes and hey, it's still light enough to carry around everywhere! it's great!

As for lack of ports...i dont mind it, i only use usb ports occasionally for charging/syncing my ipod. and i dont use any firewire devices/hdd. All i really need is an ethernet port, but i guess that's what the usb ethernet adapter's for...i guess that's the only sacrfice i have somewhat of a problem with...and that's why the MBA works as a primary machine for me

andyokay
Feb 4, 2008, 01:26 AM
I bought a USB hub, an external HD, and an ethernet adaptor.

And, along with my MBA, that's all I need.

I never would have predicted that I could manage with just a laptop. But, about six months ago, my desktop died and I've been living just on my ultraportable VAIO TX17. It's only got a 1.2 gHZ processor (Pentium M, at that), an 11" screen, and 512MB of RAM.

I ran CS3 and listened to iTunes, at the same time. I watched movies and searched the net, at the same time.

The laptop did not die. It was fine. I was fine. Everything was FINE.

So, my 1.8 gHZ dual-core Macbook Air, with 2GB RAM, will be more than fine :D

When new iMacs come out, the MBA won't be my only computer.
But, until then...
It's fine.

davidino77
Feb 4, 2008, 07:42 AM
I'm a switcher from Windows world. I have a sony Vaio 15.4, 2 years old, and I was waiting for this MBA. It will be my only computer and it will be enough for me since I don't need all the stuff they removed. I don't think I would have switched if MBA wasn't released. I don't want an heavy Laptop like MBP. I really would never use firewire or the power that it offers. And also, I don't like that much the MB. MBA is what I was looking for: light and sexy!
P.S. sorry for my english:)