Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zirkle2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Indiana, USA
Hey guys. I just got myself a Nikon D40, figured it was time to up my hobby a bit. I haven't had much time to play with it, but I thought I'd get a couple pictures up and see what you guys think. Here's a few I've taken so far.

They aren't anything special, just some test shots. The first one of the sunset I used some HDR, but the others are just normal shots. Could you guys tell me what you think? I'm not really sure what I want to know, just if I'm using it the right way I suppose. What would be some good things to shoot to learn how to use my camera. Also, whats a good place to get image hosting, I'd like something where I can do somewhat of an album before I get my site completed. Thanks!

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
nice camera are those the native resolutions or have they been scaled down? also what type of cat is that brown one. it has eyes like a burmese but it definitely not a burmese (ive got two).

best image hosting for albums is hands down Flickr. get a yahoo account then just log in to Flickr and your away! has a Web 2.0 interface for uploading and organising photos.

zirkle2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Indiana, USA
nice camera are those the native resolutions or have they been scaled down? also what type of cat is that brown one. it has eyes like the burmese but it definitely not a burmese (ive got two).

best image hosting for albums is hands down Flickr. get a yahoo account then just log in to Flickr and your away! has a Web 2.0 interface for uploading and organising photos.

ImageShack scaled them down, thats why I was wondering if someone else knew of a better one. Original size is 3024 x 1998 (pixels). This brings up another question. What are the benefits of taking pictures at the camera's largest size? I know the obvious answer is that I can blow it up bigger, but does it give me more to work with in software and such if I have a higher resolution?

I'm not sure what kind of cat it is. We take in a lot of strays since we live in the country, and its one that just showed up!

Thanks for the input!

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
...What are the benefits of taking pictures at the camera's largest size? I know the obvious answer is that I can blow it up bigger, but does it give me more to work with in software and such if I have a higher resolution?...

i just noticed that the first picture was a bit pixelly/grainy. resizing the images will compress and downgrade the quality. editing or working wiith the photos in their native resolution will always be better as your working in its highest quality.

upload the pictures to Flickr. albeit without a pro account Flickr makes the images a little smaller but they still look great. when you view the photo they downsize it to fit the browser. you can then look at it in full size or even choose different sizes and copy their code to paste them onto message boards like MacRumors forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.