PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 rubber feet on screen...Advice needed

dazcox5181
Feb 4, 2008, 07:49 AM
I've sold my iBook G4 on ebay but now the buyer is kicking off because one of the small rubber feet on the screen is missing (came off years ago). I've never seen this as an issue, and honestly forgot to mention it on the listing. He is saying he bought the machine because of it's portablilty and this is now comprimised!!! The screen closes, and the latch is fine - to me this is really not a problem, but he won't accept this!
What does everyone else think - does he have a point?

superleccy
Feb 4, 2008, 07:55 AM
Depends on what you said in the auction.

If you used works like 'perfect' 'pristine' 'complete' and 'like-new', then he does have a right to be annoyed.

However, if you use phrases like 'some wear-and-tear' 'well-used' and 'there's a missing rubber bit' - or didn't provide a description of the condition at all - then what does he expect?

This is why eBay auctions should be as objectively descriptive as possible. What might not be a big deal for you could be a big deal for the buyer.

It's a good ol' fashioned eBay dispute. They provide tools and guidelines for this.

SL

dazcox5181
Feb 4, 2008, 09:11 AM
Fair enough, but do you really think it actually detracts from the operation of the laptop?

BTW was only described as good condition, but again I wouldn't think twice about this.

Oh well... He seems to have accepted it now:)

Consultant
Feb 4, 2008, 10:07 AM
Fair enough, but do you really think it actually detracts from the operation of the laptop?

BTW was only described as good condition, but again I wouldn't think twice about this.

Oh well... He seems to have accepted it now:)

You showed no pictures?

He should go into applestore and see if a mac genius can get him that piece. Doesn't hurt to try.

YuriVoorhak
Feb 4, 2008, 10:11 AM
The foot on the screen would probably give me pause myself. The bottom feet (which seem as though they were built to fly off) are another story. When I sold my ibook g4, the only bottom foot intact was the one on the battery.

tdhurst
Feb 4, 2008, 10:34 AM
The foot on the screen would probably give me pause myself. The bottom feet (which seem as though they were built to fly off) are another story. When I sold my ibook g4, the only bottom foot intact was the one on the battery.

I agree. I would be a little worried about the screen being pressed into the keys when in a bag, but if the screen had no imprints from the keys already, I'd assume it to be okay.

dazcox5181
Feb 4, 2008, 11:27 AM
There was a picture, and i checked and the missing foot is visible.

Theres no contact between screen and keys, and its been in my bag everywhere i go, so if i've not had a problem cant see why he would.

Some people... if I want perfect I get off my backside and go to the store and buy new. I dont by any means abuse my stuff, but buying 3 year old hardware at a low price surely you expect the odd imperfection. I would, but guess i assumed someone else would think the same.

Hope the person who buys my iMac G5 reads the description... Been very sure to mention the small crack in the casing!

teleromeo
Feb 4, 2008, 11:33 AM
If there was a picture and the missing piece was visible (...in fact not visible...) he should not complain. Unless you sold it as 'new' or 'no damage'
Use a service or a program like garagesale to put enough photo's on you ebay listings, it helps and you'll have less complaints.

dazcox5181
Feb 4, 2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks I'll look that program up.